Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On a related note, is there a way to make outlook default to pasting text unformatted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ticket resolved.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Different strokes but I here I'm in a large area with the MFP, and it sucks to have people from other areas slamming open the door and thumping through to collect from it. Fortunately it's rare because they all have trusty HP b&w lasers on their desks. I assume it's only scanning and colour prints that bring them this way.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like an opportunity to sell him an SSD and a days labour for data transfer.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Subject: THE GUY HERE ATTN: THIS THREAD

I like to capitalise my subject lines so that they appear important and nothing like spam.

Edit. The guys here with Ipads end up with so many autocorrect spelling and grammar gently caress ups it's unbelievable.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McGlockenshire posted:

A few months ago, we finally retired our 2005-era front-end servers.

As a half-joke, we told Marketing that we should totally put one on display in the lobby. I mean, we build servers, why not show off some of our best work, eh?

Yup.

I didn't think they'd actually do it. This is the same Marketing department that produced the annotated laptop from the last thread. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it.

That's kind of magical. I don't know what it says about your company to have an old server on display, but jesus, you can't fault their execution.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Email chat: ridiculously graphical corporate signatures repeated over and over in long chains.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only SQL express db I deal with runs our Solarwinds install. The 10gb limit means we keep it pretty lean which is good, and also in Australia I think an MSSQL license is a fair bit more than $800.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lum posted:

Pissing me off today, getting a Canon DR-5010C to work on Windows 7/8

I absolutely adore the 5010 as a scanner, with it's option for a straight through path and generally chunky and rugged design, you can give it to customers who will do things like mix in a credit card with the paper scans and it handles it all.

Problem is, the driver for it is missing about 21 DLL files needed to make TWAIN work. You can get those files if you install Canon's CapturePerfect software, but this only comes on the CD with the scanner, the versions on their website are upgrade-only and check for the original.

Without this you can't scan from any TWAIN software at all.

So I've had to acquire a copy and then make up a little package for people to dump into SysWOW64.

This sounds like a good way to make side money of advertisements on a how to website. Upload your filez to some anonymous survey based hosted and watch the dollars (pounds) roll in!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nzspambot posted:

For looking important; nothing says I have a big :dong: like an Apple Laptop

My work laptop is a 13" MBP... running Windows 7 only. :downs:

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crowley posted:

..and running it worse than most cheaper PCs too. drat Apple and their shoddy drivers.

This. I can't wait till it dies, to be replaced with an ultrabook. All I use on it is Outlook/office and putty, so it's not terrible, and the trackpad does work pretty well in Windows.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe just keep it simple and buy some neoprene and make some simple folded cases? I'd keep each item separate so you can almost certainly find something to suit the laptop. I've stuff a lot of kit in my hard plastic suitcase amongst clothes over the years and you definitely don't want to be working around a monolith instead of a few items you can move around to fit right with everything else.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toe shoes posted:

Come to Australia and have your local DNS requests go to America and back?

My ISP also provides a free *nix mirror as long as I'm using their DNS servers too.

Er, do a trace/ping them. As someone already mentioned, anycast. I get 1-2ms to 8.8.8.8 from our colo in Globalswitch, Sydney.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I run Win8.1 exclusively on a base model MBA for work, suits my needs just fine, the form factor is great and the touchpad is excellent. I have a Dell desktop for heavy lifting, with more cores and RAMs then I probably need and probably cost less than maxing out a laptops RAM and CPU.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Confluence is pretty great for writing how to documents, combined with the windows snipping tool I have been punching out howtos all week as part of my handover plan.

It's only :tenbux: for ten users and we just use one of those licenses for a generic read-only account as there's only about 5 of us who actually need to add to it.

For the price I can't recommend it enough for structured technical documentation. And it exports nice to word/PDF if you need.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renegret posted:

Thanks for reminding me to mark all 15938 unread e-mail as read.

Last marked as unread two weeks ago :smith:

I am a bad example. Please, nobody manage their inboxes like me.

Fellow 'who gives a poo poo, why else is there a search function?' email user here. 7000k+ unread outlook inbox at the moment. I could mark as read but what difference does it make?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm with evol, I spend most of my day in routers, firewalls and Linux servers and I'm quite fine with putty. Everything else windows suits my workflow (Outlook, Visio, etc).

I am one of those douches that runs windows on their MacBook Air though (boot camp only, no OSX installation).

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mattavist posted:

Me too! I wish Windows got the same battery life that OSX does though. Otherwise I love it.

I tell you, Windows 10 DP gets closer to matching the OSX battery life than win 8.1. Still, I get more than a work days use out of one charge anyway, which is ample for worst case out on the road all day events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512 posted:

A girlfriend came in

Her Macbook Pro would take 5 minutes to settle down into a usable state upon boot. After clearing the trash and resetting the SMC, it's not a total paperweight now.

Except Office programs take like 3-5 minutes to load :psyduck:. Even the biggest garbage fire Windows machines can get Word up inside of a minute. The laptop is pretty clean. Lots of picture but it isn't clogged up with every random application and game in the world like say, my computer, so I'm at a loss as to what the cause is.

Replace HDD with SSD. Problem solved.

• Locked thread