Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a lovely MSP lacking in effective management

Like my previous job I guess. I was more going to say lazy employees but that's the fault of management as well I suppose.

I rebooted servers pretty often as the first line of defense help desk employee. I was well into sysadmin and network admin territory pretty often. Thankfully we two help desk guys actually knew what we were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

18 Character Limit posted:

Hit him with chair and claim the title belt.

No that'll just get him DQ'd. Have to beat him fair and square. Then hit him with the chair.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I just wanted to take a moment to say I've started a new job and I'm no longer level 1 support for the masses. It's still remote support for refreshes/upgrades and I'm still going to be first in line to pick up the phone. But this is all making sure things are installed correctly, configured and transferred over properly. If they're not (and it's not a simple fix) then I get to open a ticket for the help desk to deal with. :feelsgood:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

iRend posted:

An interview came in.

We're interviewing a network tech / firewall dude for a SIEM / IPS role. Very similar area of expertise, but very different hardware/policies.

We've been told by higher ups we're not allowed to ask technical questions of the candidate.

What sort of questions are left???

So this happened at my last job. We hired a network tech from FedEx. One day he saw a bunch of switches laying in our network admin's closet and asked if he could play around with one. They were old so he said sure, why not.

The new guy commented how heavy the switch was as he carried it out. He plugged it into his ups which started beeping right away. The "switch" was a rack mount ups. He spent 4 hours finding a console cable and trying to configure it. That was his last day.

I'm sure he'll be better than that and that was hardly the sole reason for firing him. But not being able to ask technical questions scares me ever since that.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 18, 2016

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bigass Moth posted:

He thought the rack mounted ups was a switch? Just clarifying because that's so stupid I had to reread that many times.

Yes, he "configured" a rackmount ups for like an hour before the day was over - took him forever to find a cable to hook up to it. We made many jokes about a 1-port switch. Different guy than the one referred to in the quote, though.

e: I hope :ohdear:

e2: fixed previous post to be more clear.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 18, 2016

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Mr. Fix It posted:

I think SQL should be pronounced "squeal"

I would go for this because my biggest gripe about "sequel" is that it's not any faster than just reading the letters.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
That's one thing I'm really starting to appreciate about my previous job - they did a hell of a job integrating as many systems as they could via AD. It made my life a lot easier because I only had 3 total passwords.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I have a story I want to fume about re: mountpocalypse.

We basically had what was described earlier - share point and everyone had a minimum of 4 drives. I got tired of the method they used (JavaScript that ran at login to mount drives based on user name) and got permission to re-write them as batch files because that's all I knew. Only hitch was it wouldn't work if any drives were mapped to a letter I wanted to use. So I made it strip out all the mounted drives and re-mount it on login. It worked beautifully; people were actually calling in wondering why they had so many drives. Then a couple days later I came in people started complaining that they were missing drives. I wondered what the hell and checked the server to see a sea of .js files. Found out that they had neglected to tell me that one of our programs needed a specific mounted drive (I think about 10 users had it on their computers) which was added by a batch file on the computer in the startup folder. My script was killing these drives. So, rather than copy/pasting the login script (it required specific credentials) to the appropriate users the sysadmin just rolled back all the work I had done without even mentioning it. He told me not to mess with it again after I finally asked him what the problem was and got the full story. This was months ago but it still annoys me to think about it.

Also, in later searching I found out why our JavaScript files failed so often. It was the same reason the batch files failed every time. If the letter was taken, the script would most likely fail. At that point I just gave up and made my own little script to wipe all mounted drives for the several times a day I'd get a call about missing drives.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Gonna have to go with email, Chuck.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Cactus Jack posted:

I don't know, not every thing scammers do is some brilliant game theory meta game move. If someone has already let them on the computer then that is the majority of the work done. You aren't working on trying to catch a mark, you've already caught them.

In other news, I kept working on that batch file I posted from earlier and it is the most fun thing I've done in awhile. The ascii dickbutt I put in at the end is the pièce de résistance. :haw:

Gonna be using this on the next person that I simply don't care for. I'm going to have the "legitimate version" for the "go the hell away" moments and the dickbutt version for when I want them to know I don't like them.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I think the universal constants are Office suite (primarily word/excel/PowerPoint), Active Directory, Exchange and obviously general Windows knowledge. If you want to impress, though, people skills, tenacity and the ability to learn are really all you need.

The goals of a front line technician are:

1. Don't piss anyone off
2. Do everything to try to fix a problem. Only escalate if it's something you shouldn't know/havent been told before.

If you can successfully demonstrate those then you're golden for basically anything front line. You can talk about how good you are with people. This may prompt them to ask the "could you give us an example" standard question. Have a good two or 3 stories of helping someone difficult and/or with an esoteric issue that required research. Note how you stayed in contact with them, etc. That's what most companies are going to want from you anyway.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I almost feel like I missed out. First LAN I was ever on was at college. But we had some fun playing counter strike and got to fool a few people with sub7. And I think the majority of my music collection is still from the Linux server someone hosted on the network.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

spankmeister posted:

wiring half a million looks remotely legit? I mean it depends on the company but the amounts they request are generally much higher than usual.

e: Here's a good example of one of those scam mails: https://www2.deloitte.com/lu/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/fake-presidents.html

Ran into this a lot at my last job. As far as I'm aware no one ever bit but we did get asked an uncomfortable amount of times IF they were legit. And the ones we received were definitely not of even that caliber. They were usually less than 5 lines and usually got the names associated with the email wrong:

Our addresses were [first letter of first name][last name]@[company].com. So we'll call the owner Bob. I can't tell you how many times the email was signed Bill instead and they still were curious if it was legit. They couldn't even pretend to think it was another Bill as it was a company that started as a family business so the name on the building was his last name.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 27, 2016

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ghostlight posted:

Sharepoint is butter smooth in Chrome for me. IE is just a turd - I can't believe how badly it runs even freshly installed on a brand new system it lags to gently caress out loading its lovely MSN homepage.

It runs fine from my experience as well in Firefox and chrome. But some poo poo just flat doesn't work unless it's in IE. I had to be reminded of that every few months when someone would trip into one of those things.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ghostlight posted:

My favourite new employee prank is to just let them slide humourlessly into the dismal reality of IT without levity interrupting the process.

quote:

I pranked him real good with my tire iron
http://youtu.be/wdApxsOmfl0

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Merijn posted:

We moved to a new building 100m over from the last one this weekend so of course nobody is getting any work done today. At least one person can't find his PC. Personally my chair was missing.

Also the sysadmin solved the issue of ransomware emails still coming in. All external email seems to be blocked now. :v:

"Problem resolved: gently caress email"

I like the cut of his jib.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
They changed the "official" group email name/address because someone liked the new one better. Now someone decided to clean up the aliases because everyone knows the proper email now.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Potato Salad posted:

My boss rocks a beard like that and vehemently dislikes Linux :colbert:

It must be very painful for him to hate his own people so

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ghostlight posted:

Is this really the thread for Reagonesque lengthy diatribes about how single payer is more expensive and results in worse healthcare.

I for one don't mind. But no, probably not.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

nielsm posted:

Think the search dog.

You can't make me.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

mewse posted:

She didn't like you waving your dick around in the station?

Larches was his cousin after all? What a twist

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Merijn posted:

What does this mean?

I'm assuming what my pet peeve is: people who are unable to use keyboard shortcuts, even so simple as ctrl+x/c/v for c/p operations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Thanks Ants posted:

People who use Ctrl+Alt+Del to lock their PCs are the worst

This is over half my team and it hurts my soul. :smith:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

GreenNight posted:

No, the worst is if they never locked them at all. Like my entire company.

They're surprisingly good about this, even though it's basically pointless as for us the only people within 200 yards (and behind two security doors) the time of night we work are folks with higher access.

I guess I should give a trigger warning for audit policies but I'll just leave it at there's basically 0 chance anyone would be doing anything even accidentally damaging without causing a high amount of suspicion by being near us in the first place.

I am glad they have that habit though.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 8, 2016

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I'm not sure how my hearing has survived as long as it has. I worked at the FedEx hub for a couple years with basically no hearing protection (it caused me to have inflammation in my ears. And the job before that was a lot of travel with the window down. I began to worry at first about my hearing because my downstairs neighbor complained several times about "my music" (I didn't listen to music).

But then I had a hearing test for sometimes working in a plant at my last help desk job. The lady took forever on the high end part because she didn't believe that I was actually hearing what I was pushing the button for and repeated the test 4 times.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
The closest I ever saw was prickman@company.com

It was appropriate. Also he had been there for at least 10 years happily using that address. But I think the other helpdesk guy actually called him that over the phone once. Soon after he had a new address which included his middle initial.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

larchesdanrew posted:

He also asked me to give him, immediately and off the top of my head, the ratio of students with financial assistance vs students without financial assistance who were given chrome books. No, I can't get him that info before the end of the day. I need to know this stuff in case a parent asks me.

Why the hell would a parent need (be allowed) to know this?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

LordVorbis posted:

Am I seeing this? Am I living in the matrix or have we literally not had this conversation three times over now?

Legitimately thought I was crazy for a minute there.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
The more things change the more they stay the same. Im helping with helpdesk type duties. A ticket came in:

To: helpdesk
Cc: boss, director, vp, other vp, cfo

Need to install my printer

- self important lady

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We had an HP printer completely shutdown a whole leg of our network.
Apparently with the firmware it was running, this particular model "responds as if it were a router in some Cisco environments".
If I can find the case notes I'll post em up.

What the gently caress

ConfusedUs posted:

That poo poo is going code red all hands on deck serious all over.

It uses a known (patched in march) SMB exploit to spread across networks. Unpatched systems anywhere on the network are vulnerable.

And of course xp/2003 systems do not have the patch.

Is this legit? If so I think my server guys might hate me soon.

E: I really don't even know why I thought there might be a patch. I just didn't want to make that call. Well at least it's something that set everyone's pants on fire we can push to upgrade with

e: vv yeah that just occurred to me as I was dialing

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 13, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Thanks Ants posted:

I get probably unjustifiably irritated by people who will submit a ticket with "- AGAIN!" at the end of the subject, as though they're implying that somehow people are setting out to gently caress their stuff up on purpose and don't actually want it fixed so they don't have a reason to get in touch again.

I got 4 of these in two days with increasingly more important people asking why it was still broken. It wasn't until the fifth time did I get the lady to understand it was fixed with the first ticket and have her send me an email saying it was fixed.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

A ticket came in:

I make the mistake of telling my boss I'm going to close it, because it's obviously a phishing email:

"Dropbox is legit"

:smithicide:

Had a user whining at me that we "need to find another solution" for everyone dropping browser support for silverlight and us forcing the update to their computer.

I told him it's written on an old API no one wants to support any more and if you want to stop patching things you need to talk to infosec.

His only response was to tell me "well I don't know about that it's based on the .net framework"

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Can I use this new thread in my blackberry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Sormus posted:

Hello,

Just got off from phone with the Big Cheese himself and it seems the DeadGayForums Inc. will be in for a quite a change soon.
There have been hushed talks of this XenForo business for months now and many of you have questioned the sanity of spending time and money on new it thread on the old hardware.

At the telecon with the top management we tried to put our best heads together and finally struck gold.

The work underway to replace the SH/SC RE: Ticket thread is to CEASE IMMEDIATELY.
The DeadGayForums Inc. will lease from an outside vendor a temporary RE:Ticket Thread (Most likely a TwidditBook, but we are considering other options)
After the Xenforo project finally completes, we will look into resuming an in-house development of the RE: Ticket Thread

"Please note. The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual named above and others who have been specially authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. The attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving our E-mail system. DeadGayForums Incorporated shall not be liable for any consequences of any virus being passed on. "
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

I don’t want to play this game any more

• Locked thread