Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Spazz posted:

A buddy of mine worked for Best Buy for a month. He ended up being let go because he wouldn't cram Monster cables down the customers throat when they bought a new PC/Monitor combo that had HDMI connections, talk people into opening up credit cards with ridiculous rates, and trying to sell them a Ferrari when they just want a Yugo.

This is basically why I hated Staples as well. Push Norton, Word, service plans and everything else with every purchase. If the whole store did really well we'd get an extra $0.50 per hour on our paycheck :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nativity In Black posted:

The first "Tech" Job I got after getting my A+ cert was in a call center doing tech support for the warranties that Staples (and others) sold. People called in all the time because someone at the store had told them their warranty covered X thing or that they could walk in and get a replacement no questions asked. I grew to hate the sales people until I realized that A) There were plenty of people who were willing to shoot customers straight and B) This was all of course shoved down by management to get better numbers. I left that job after 9 months for a slightly less soul crushing job that I stayed at for 2 years.

That does sound awful. I always felt bad when a customer came back in with a problem and we just had to turn them away and tell them to call the number on the warranty form.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sirotan posted:

A bio-hazard came in....

I missed this from the old thread :stonk: :barf:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

nitrogen posted:

Why the gently caress are you bringing your coffee into the pisser??? :morning:

I wouldn't place it on the urinal, but I bring my mug to the bathroom. I feel like I'm wasting time if I go cube --> break room --> cube --> bathroom. We also just have 2 individual bathrooms with only one toilet though, so it's generally a lot cleaner.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AcidRonin posted:

I like the idea of useing it to deliver bad news to end-users.

I don't think I'd be too mad if some adorable golden retriever puppy came up to my cube with a sheet of paper around his neck that read, "YOU'RE FIRED"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Now that SSD's are around, someone needs to make a black box for laptops. Something that constantly records the last 2 minutes of audio before loss of battery power combined with accelerometer data.

"What do you mean it's impossible? I totally can! --Oh poo poo *smash*"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Google Chat or just walk across the office floor and go to the guy's office / cube, for us :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Lum posted:

I had a great ticket today (not sarcastic)

"Hi Lum, we were trying to figure out how to do X and in the process broke Y on SERVER. Here is a list of everything we did to break it, here is what we've tried to fix it so far"

This guy is my new favourite customer. Took me 5 minutes to sort it out.

I just got something like that the other day, very clear, concise explanation of the bug and what he was doing, provided useful screenshots. I want to PayPal him $3 for a beer just for not being an idiot :unsmith:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Where the hell do you pay more than $3 for a beer :stonk:
Most bars I know sell crappy stuff for $2 per glass or so. Can give a six pack for less than that per bottle/can.

My bottled drink of choice is $10 for 6, but eh.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

tjl posted:

All while clients keep calling and hassling me to fix it or ask when it will be working again. American ISPs truly are the greatest. :rolleyes:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57599488-93/cable-providers-isps-rank-dead-last-for-customer-service/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

Surprise!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Caged posted:

It's also written down exactly how it works.

Jokes on you, people don't read documentation! It's an unwritten law that when it exists, the user won't check or read it. When it doesn't exist, the new responsible party will curse the previous party and his children's children for a lack of documentation.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CLearly you should've sprung the extra thousand bucks for a Monster HDMI cable :colbert:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Welp, today's my last day testing / developing an app for a very angry customer whose going to start demanding a partial refund if it's not done by Friday. Leaving tonight for an interview in a different state :ssh:

Can't wait for Monday, regardless of whether or not I get this job...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Boss is a moron. This APC UPS sends an email that the battery failed. I want to replace it.

"That's impossible. It's only 8 months old."

Maybe it was defective?

"So-and-so just replaced it. Here's the email invoice of when I bought the battery."

Okay, well it's defective we need to RMA it.

"There must be something else wrong. It's not that old."

IT'S DEFECTIVE YOU gently caress

He has been an rear end about this for like...3 months.

What's his name, my roommate works tech support at APC and I'll warn him :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been at work 30 minutes, and my loving remote connection to a client's server has been interupted 6 times. There's a bug that's only happening on the customer's site and of course we don't have a 'live' version installed on our servers :haw:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Walter_Sobchak posted:

Dev environment? What's that? :v:

It's just an alternate name for the production environment :colbert:

Like "parent class" versus "super class". Same poo poo, different name.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm still using Winamp because I don't want to learn something new :shrug:
It provides a fast, quick glimpse at all of my music in an easy to understand UI. I never use playlists, always listen to full albums so I just go put on whatever from my media library and let it play.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14415881/how-to-pair-socks-from-a-pile-efficiently?rq=1

:v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

3 days, 3 hours and 30 minutes on the dot until I am done with my current job. Will have a week off in between my current and the next one, first time I'll be fully free of any sort of job and or schooling since I think high school. 0 Patience for anything and customers won't stop emailing me :suicide:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I interviewed at a software company in the health sector located in Boston a few months back, their Friday's were basically a half-day in that they'd spend the afternoon drinking beers and just shooting the poo poo. My interview was on a Friday afternoon, my interviewer was drinking then.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

demonachizer posted:

Was it in Watertown rather than Boston proper?

I don't remember exactly, it was on Federal Street. Sad to say I didn't get it :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Raining, almost got T-boned on my way in to work and now I just got chewed out by my boss because my point of contact with a client has apparently not been talking to his own bosses at all about the application changes he's requested / things I've informed him of (ie. "This isn't working fully but we're working on it"). Gunna be a good day :haw:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

No like "no one wants to talk about computers or work" so it usually ends up with me talking aloud or drawing idea's down or browsing something computer or cartoon related stuff. I mean I'll make small talk and be sociable but you can only small talk before so long were it's like can we please get back to talking about technology?

The guys in my office are always trying to get together after work, but yea, absolutely nothing to talk about with them. It's terrible, and then I get "flak" for not going. Cool dudes to work with, but I don't want to spend even more of my time with them. They're all sports and own houses and have kids. Young, single, heavy gamer. Zero common ground unless we're talking current events or politics.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haven't posted in this thread since taking my new job almost a year ago :toot: But lately one of the senior devs has really been annoying me. We work, we have a handful of development environments, each one replicating the prod environment more closely than the previous. We did an update for the same environment earlier this week, and again today with some fixes that were discovered earlier in the week. Senior dev just IM'd me:

"Hey did you check your changes for DEV2?"
"I did earlier this week during the first build, I didn't have anything going into the second update today. Do you need me to do them again?"
"You already tested DEV2?"

So now I'm questioning whether it was a DEV1 or DEV2 build earlier this week, dig through some emails and remember a few key details.

"Yea, I just checked XXX and also I remember having to do YYYY, so it must have been DEV2 I did."
"So you tested DEV2?"

YES. gently caress.

I don't know if it's because one's tone is lost over chat instead of voice, or if it's me being un-confident in literally everything I do, or what, but I feel like this guy always has a condescending tone or trying to mess me up. Not necessarily condescending in this excerpt, but the just the latest thing to irritate me and question my sanity. Wanted to know if you guys think I'm just misreading things and being overly sensitive, or what.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, that was a poor example of his often [in my opinion] condescending tone. Earlier this week he asked if I knew what something was, I said no... His response was "How long have you been working on [project]?" which, could be a legitimate question but it just made me feel :downs: as hell. He works in a different office so all of our conversation is over IM, occasionally phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My job is lately getting to the point where the moment one of my coworkers messages or calls me, I just want to kill myself because he has a tremendously impatient and condescending attitude. He was pushed into a sort of tutor / mentor role when the team lead and head architect quit, so now this guy is the second most knowledgeable and has to help us lowly junior devs... But he has absolutely no loving patience and is just a dick.

I know a few of the other members of my team feel this way, but I have no idea how to bring it up with the actual boss- kind of a first time experience with a douche coworker :shrug:

• Locked thread