Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Oh Backup Exec, how come when you come across a single B2D file that you don't like you take the Datadomain offline. Just skip it, it's ok we can move past it, just let me know you had an error on that one later, don't loving bail, cmon baby I won't hurt you. Nope, kicks the entire Inventory job out and puts the Datadomain offline.

Properties doesn't show any read errors in it, but it won't let me inventory it and I can't erase the file.

Hooray for and Other Duties on a job description :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

rscott posted:

The whole idea of "customer service" for internal IT seems kind of weird to me to begin with. They're your co-workers not someone who is trying to buy poo poo from you.

My co-workers are my customers. They can be just as dumb and argumentative as any random person who walks into a retail store. My job isn't to make them happy, but it's to make sure that they can do their jobs, and make sure their equipment works. If they are pleased with my response to getting their issues fixed then that makes me happy.

It's actually my favorite part of my job because it's the things that I do that get an immediate feedback. I'm not a nameless faceless person on the other end of the phone when my cable internet is broken and they want to power cycle the modem for a fifth time. I'm a human who comes over, asks questions, and my results are highly visible. They tell their bosses or my bosses that I'm doing a good job, and I even get requests for me to come look at things because I fix them and I'm friendly about it.

Also, it's great feeling like a god when all I did was put a shortcut on someone's desktop and he was ECSTATIC.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

drukqs posted:

Quick/instant gratuity is the best part of this job.

I don't like it so much when a problem somebody is complaining about "fixes itself" as soon as I show up and haven't touched anything.

80% of the time when something "fixes itself" is because when you asked them to show you what they were doing, they'll slow down and do each step diligently in order and correctly so then they say 'OH! Guess it works now!'

The other 20% :iiam: I fix things by standing next to the computers all the time.

edit:

nitrogen posted:

God, tell me about it.

I just finished a rotation of working on internal company projects.
Also because this doesn't cost them any money.

Mention ROI. It's costing them money they don't ever think about until you say those three little letters then it hits them like a ton of bricks.

I'm not certain who your company projects are for, but those are the times when I go to their bosses. "Hey so and so isn't giving me the information I need. I'd really like to get going on this project, the faster I get it completed the better the ROI looks." It's my favorite money buzzword. I've even gone to the head of sales and he's gotten his department to calm down a little bit in the 'ask IT for bullshit' type requests by going over the ROI numbers. They still ask programming for absurd poo poo though but that's not my department.

Dead Cow fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 4, 2013

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

I agree, I would hold onto the information until they pay you. Either they pay you for what you provided for them, or they're going to have to pay someone else to make them a new site. Don't roll over on it.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Do you have an issue with calling out the day after a midnight release of a new movie too?

I call out to sleep, am I the devil?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

We just dropped our BES. We use mobileiron for our phones and its pretty slick for exchange poo poo. Our sister company uses it to manage apps to keep people from having fun.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

I can get 5 iPhones opened, activated, and pulling down emails in the time it would take me to get one blackberry activated properly.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Hiyoshi posted:

How did you do a charge back? Everything I've read says that Cryptolocker only accepts payment through Bitcoin or prepaid services like MoneyPak.

I think they changed to the prepaid services because of the chargebacks.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Alctel posted:

It takes about 5 minutes to activate a blackberry, they are so easy.

The best thing about it is that you can control EVERYTHING about the devices, so can restrict the hell out of 3rd party apps, restrict the camera, force complex passwords and autolock-out-of-holster etc.

This probably isn't a big thing for most companies but most of our stuff is protected A/secret level.

A nice side effect is that the phones hardly ever break since there is no crap on them, and literally everything can be done remotely.

EDIT: of course when BES shits itself, it REALLY shits the bed.

You may be using a different cell phone provider but everytime I've ever called to activate the phone it's been 40 minutes a phone.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Can't you pay for your MoneyPak or bitcoins or whatever with a credit card? At some point through the chain, unless you're driving to Russia and paying in cash, you can pay for it with a credit card.

I think moneypak has to be bought with cash. I know nothing about bitcoins.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

A flu shot came in...

All of the programmers got them, yet only one of the operations people did (me!).

It's like my team wants to get the flu and get sick so they have a reason to not be here...

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Think I've got a crypto email, anyone have a trashbox and want the link so they can open it and play with it?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah the email I have is a spoofed e-fax email. The link goes to some site called aiola.it and wants you to get your fax!! :downs: (complete with .pdf.zip extension)

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

I am not 100% it's crypto, but given the way crypto has been operating I'm fairly certain it is. That's why I was asking if anyone had a trashbox to try it with

edit: Someone's already sent this attachment to malwarebytes, they haven't verified what it is yet though. All the dates I can find googling are from today so this email is brand new.

Dead Cow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 24, 2013

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In reality I can't help but chuckle that in the year 2013, some big news malware still involves a regular email being sent, and requires the user actually open the attachment.

It's like a typical user is still back in 1995.

e: Wasn't supposed to sound like an "I'm better than them" post. Just a comment on how computer education/literacy either hasn't changed or doesn't exist.

To be fair,from what I've seen, just like how the UPS/FedEx spoof emails worked, these new ones are relying on catching people clicking on links they've been conditioned to click on. If you have a xerox scanner and you scan often, you may not be checking every single one that comes across your desk and just click the link out of rote habits.

If this eFax one is crypto, it's along the same thing. I work for a company that gets a lot of faxes, however we have really really good users here and the user who forwarded this to me noticed something off about it. If we had dumb users, then I can totally see "we get faxes all the time!" and then don't bother to double check.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Oddhair posted:

I wouldn't mind, I've got loads of trashboxes I could load up with this.

The link for it is in that image I posted in the hoverover. Let me know what you find!

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

I'm the only hourly employee in my company with a company credit card! Woo helpdesk with a CC.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

MobileIron was only ready if you have the right version on the server, we had to rush to upgrade it a version.
But yes, users can uninstall it off their phones themselves, good thing we dont use it for app blocking like our sister company. I just tell the users "dont delete this or your email will break." No one has done it yet that i can see. If they were savvy they would just create their own exchange profile though.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

If it's "mission critical" for your business, there's no good reason not to host it yourself. :colbert:

Regarding e-mail 20: what is the correlation between "SAP down" and buildings collapsing?

It looks like its paraphrasing the NWS alert sent out for hurricane Katrina

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

A voicemail came in... From a customer? The gently caress why did a CSR transfer a customer to the internal helpdesk line. She's been a CSR longer than I've worked here, and she didn't even bother to warm transfer it. The last time I had a CSR try to send a customer to me they were brand new and did a consult call first so I could at least tell them no honey the help desk fixes your computer not some random customer.

We sell insurance by the way. If customers are having problems with the website it is pretty quickly picked up on and then the CSR department informs the web team. If one customer is having an issue with the website don't send that poo poo over to me. Tell your lead and have them tell the web team.

The bright side is I get to come tell your manager the stupid poo poo you did...

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

That file format restriction for music-on-hold is pretty common, due to most VOIP systems running G.711 for most of its devices, as well as PRIs, etc, which is an 8 pit, 8khz, mono codec. That way they don't have to dedicate any transcoding resources to MOH.

Yeah I was going to say that's the restriction on ours and if I don't drop it in at the correct format it won't play. The last version used to do a conversion on the fly whenever an audio file had the wrong format but that changed at some point.
I just use audacity now for conversions and I make sure it sounds ok before I drop the files in. The built in file converter for the phone system makes music sound like scratchy poo poo. At least with audacity I can smooth out noise and other crap.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Multiple tickets come in.

Suss out that they are because the department that usually makes things go quietly in the background is backed up, so call center is getting calls and put in tickets.

These tickets are usually simple user error, but I notice one pervasive error and narrow it down to a date field being auto populated to the current date which doesn't play well with You can't have Date A be after Date B. Discuss with various people. Tell account manager on Friday why there's a back up, and also tell him hey, this weird error with Date A and B are because if Date A is left blank it's getting auto filled dunno when that started but let the users know if they are going to fill in Date B, have them put in Date A as well please ok thanks. (It really should allow for a NULL, neither is required)

That was Friday. Over the weekend more calls came in and the call center supervisor sends out an email about the issue copying a buncha people, and mentions one particular ticket.

I come in today and say, hey Call center person this is what I found out on Friday and by the way that one ticket was just user typing things in wrong not the Date Error. I told Account Manager to send out correspondence to the users saying please doubletriple check stuff to make everything work thanks. Replying all to the original email.

Call center supervisors' boss then sends out a super lovely snobby rear end reply about HOW DARE YOU insinuate that just because that one ticket was User Error that they all are user error fix the real issue!!

Account Manager replies "I spoke to department that usually makes things go quietly in the background and confirmed they get about 50 a day that are user error which is pretty much all of them, sorry they are backed up and you are getting calls I will send out the correspondence"

I dunno why this whole thing made me so angry. Probably since I busted my rear end going around to try to find out if this was an actual IT issue just to feel like I'm a piece of poo poo for telling them that it's user error. It's not even their users, it's the people who are calling in who are being sloppy.

Seriously, one of them entered in Palm Desert as "Pal Dessert" for an address.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Lum posted:

So that's a video of a piece of cake in slightly higher resolution and with more consistent colour reproduction, but a lower framerate?

I was thinking some cake and pie being buddies but yours works to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, for the callcenter and claims department interviews. It is literally log in, open word, type some bs paragraph, then print it and the instructions are there.

Any time the receptionist calls me to assist the interviewees it's either the printer is broken or the people locked themselves out of the test account (3 attempts). If it's the latter I tell the hiring manager that the applicant failed the "log into the computer" portion of the test.

• Locked thread