Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

dennyk posted:

Are there seriously data centers who allow colo customers to have unsecured hands-on access to other customers' systems these days? :psyduck:

There is one in Auckland; I've found open doors into other peoples racks.

I also found a PC on the floor and the eth/power cables snaking through under a locked cabinet door

And the one time they had spanning tree issues during the middle of the day....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Or just type "net statistics server" in the command prompt.

type uptime in powershell

I win :D

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress HP switches

1) LACP trunk works
2) erase switch
3) LACP will not come up on either ports (same config as before wipe)
4) erase switch
5) LACP will only come up on one link (out of two) (same config yet again)
6) erase switch
7) LACP works on both links (same config as 1))

:wtc:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Had a user last start at 9am today and quit by 11am. Um ok

edit: :69snypa:

nzspambot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 12, 2013

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

toe shoes posted:

We have a locally hosted Jira setup going on here. You can now get a hosted version if you want. Someone in our other office decided that rather than even trying to get stuff setup on our Jira to setup a hosted instance of it and tie it into what ever systems they need to use (mainly Salesforce).

You're kinda lucky; here Jira was too hard :downs: lets put it in a 2003 Sharepoint instance

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Blue_monday posted:

I have a question: What are these high powered sales and other super important people actually USING their laptops for? Office and maybe a db program that is probably at least a few years old?

For looking important; nothing says I have a big :dong: like an Apple Laptop

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

BurgerQuest posted:

My work laptop is a 13" MBP... running Windows 7 only. :downs:

Out of 30+ 13" macbook pros that the oval office before me brought 95% are running Windows

My 15" is running Windows 8.1 :flaccid:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

evol262 posted:

It's almost like you work an in industry where you can walk away from that ticking bar or minimize the RDP window and work on something else.

time to lean; time to clean :haw:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

nitrogen posted:

My employer refuses to do this for any of our datacenters, and we have over 100x that number of servers. And we also block outgoing udp/123 by default, too. I've commonly noticed our inhouse stratum 2 servers poo poo themselves for 5-10 days when the connection to one of our upstream time sources ate itself or changed, and nobody noticed until we build something that won't sync.

EDIT: I also love your avatar.

You need some GPS loving in there; I'm building shortly 2x Raspberry Pi with GPS addon for NTP; cost like 200 quid or some poo poo.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

madsushi posted:

Or you could actually give them a real solution and help them break down the PST into yearly (or more frequent) archives so that they get to keep their email and they get good performance.

PSTs of that size and nature are not a "real solution"

where do you store the PSTs? On the network; nope, locally? then the disk fails? omgnoemail :downs:

Best way is Exchange 2010/13 + an archive solution (which costs $$$) or really to tell the user to actually delete poo poo

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

NZAmoeba posted:

Nope!

:yotj:

I've been promoted to the Team Lead of Production. I've never had authority over other human beings before so I'm a little freaked out. They're gonna send me on some management courses so I can not be utterly hopeless though! It also means I have to move from a city I really love, Wellington, to a city I used to bag all the time, Auckland.

But career wise it's just too good an opportunity to pass up. I'm also going to hire the new team we're creating up there.

Nice! Auckland is nice ;)

PS if I need to :yotj: for your new team.... ;)

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

pr0digal posted:

I wonder how this monstrosity started out

is that really a Y power splitter :allears:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Riso posted:

#yolo is the standard approach for small businesses.

Business essential files without backups? CHECK
Unique snowflake database without backups? CHECK
On failing old poo poo computer used only for that one purpose? CHECK
Refuses to spend money? CHECK

Thankfully I am not responsible for that junk.

RAID 0 on the SBS server? CHECK

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Renegret posted:

But hey, I just do as I'm told.

Welcome to the workforce :haw:

Seems MS has taken over no-ip.com :wtc:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but some of the older Cisco routers, Cisco doesn't recommend rebooting them due to issues with memory failing.

yep, dont reboot and have issue when ipv4 >512K or reboot and your line cards fail and hope you can RMA them

Which is worse?

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

So I have gone through a project of building a monitoring system from the ground up with a limited budget. We now have a noc-light area with displays displaying all the current system statuses just as you would expect. Things are beautiful.

My boss however is now coming to me wanting an entire screen dedicated to our wan link activity and the full details of whats going through it. Ugh. Anybody have any experience with someone simple and easy to read visually? Showing him the cisca ASA readouts is overloading him.

Depends on what you used, PHPWeatherMap is ideal for this option

http://www.network-weathermap.com/

eg:

HL'ed image:
code:
http://wotsit.thingy.com/haj/cacti/php-weathermap/ml-archive/pngfuht4QlZgN.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Kurieg posted:

This was the same admin that accidentally promoted someone's desktop to a domain controller then blamed him when people stopped being able to access the internet.

wait :wtc: ?

• Locked thread