Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Everyone just needs to live out the printer beating from Office Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lum posted:

^^^^ Dial-a-Fix?

That's goon-made? Awesome. That was a godsend working with XP.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It might have some to do with getting MSDS or other hazard information.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There are times I almost wish we lived in some pseudo-fascist dystopia where there exists a department of language that monitors the populace and reassigns those who are too liberal in their grammar and punctuation to reeducation camps.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pyroclastic posted:

She wants them facing a certain way, and wants them in 4 rows of 4 tables (2 computers per table), with walkways around all sides, including the front of the room. Her teaching podium in the middle with a projector.

I get requests like this fairly common, and always get to say no. Fire marshals here would flip their poo poo with the kind of tripping hazard that would cause, once you factor in power/network cords running along the floor. Fire code regulations are serious things in school environments here.

Not sure what libertarian wasteland you're from, but I can't imagine it's too different.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Winamp is awesome. I use iTunes to manage my library, but when I actually listen to something I just export the smart playlist to m3u, and fire up the lama whipper. It plays a hell of a lot better than iTunes does with my media keys and full screen applications too.

Anyone remember Sonique? Had some sweet visualizers...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can right click the bottom-left hot corner to get the menu right now, as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought I saw a site somewhere that had instances like this where a business shafts a web host or developer. In said instances, the contractor in question kept the domain, kept hosting the site, but had a few banners in the page stating that said company was refusing to fulfill their end of the contract with payment, etc.

I'd just point it to goatse. (Don't do this. (Do this.))

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Wagonburner posted:

Somehow her boss associated .lnk files with Word. (where adobe comes in I have no idea)

I see this every now and then, and it boggles the mind how it happens. And why it's always .lnk with Word, I don't know.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Helushune posted:

I couldn't agree more. Funny enough, we were discussing how useful/useless file extensions at work the other day and you could easily point out the *nix/mac users and those who had used Windows all their life. The argument the Windows users kept making was "well, how would you know what program opens them if it didn't have a file extension?" which seems completely pointless if you can just change them and have them open in a different application. I'm still convinced they're horribly useless and Windows should make every effort to move away from them beyond just hiding them by default.

I wish that as long as Windows is using the file extensions for something, that they can't be hidden and forcefully displayed. It would prevent me a few headaches with users trying to open files with the wrong programs, or just trying to open dumb poo poo, and we still run into "awesome_picture.jpg.exe"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A receptionist has to make a spreadsheet with a list of names on it. She wants the first letter capitalized, and the rest of the name lowercase.

She doesn't want to use the shift key.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

quote:

Uppercase / lowercase excel solutions

I kinda figured there were automated ways to uppercase the first letter. Still, she can use her drat shift key. I just thought that was the most ridiculous request I've received yet. It's a list of like 30 people, so it's not like she has to copy/paste thousands of unformatted names and fix them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nexxai posted:

Ok, how is your first and only response anything other than "tough"?

Like I've said 100 times in these threads, by trying to find some ridiculously complex and technical solution to a very simple human problem, you're only making things more difficult on yourself because you are validating her behaviour as acceptable. If they have a problem doing something as basic as pressing the Shift key, that is something that you need to bring up with their superior, and not something you should be spending ANY time on researching beyond that.

That was the response. Even now knowing simple ways to achieve that, I'm not one to promote that sort of behavior and I'm not going to forward them. When people stop me in the halls and ask a question that takes more than a modicum of effort, I refer them to the helpdesk; when someone hands me their personal laptop, I tell them my private rates, and when I get a request like that (or a lot far more reasonable) I have no problem saying 'no'.

I'm just sharing the worst ticket I've seen, and I've gotten requests to fix toilets. At least with toilet tickets, there's an actual problem, and it's easy enough to forward to the maintenance department.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We used to have a light policy of just resetting staff passwords back to their id numbers if it expired or was forgotten. It's a pretty dumb thing to do and there were more than a few people abusing this so they'd never have to change out of their terrible password.

Starting this summer I've been setting the passwords to:

DD.MM.YYYY.first.last.empid

I always get a bit of a smile when someone calls in expecting to get their old password back, and then they hear that 30-40 character abortion. At least this way I'm assuming people are changing them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MF_James posted:

Why aren't you forcing a change upon first entry of password?

We have a couple of web aps that won't allow logins if that flag is set, and some of the BYOD situations require them, so we can't force a log on.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Guess who gets to decommission their BES server within the next few months?

:smug:

In all honesty though, both the server and phones are reliable and easy to manage. Primitive, yes, but they haven't caused me any real issues. Moving to a BYOD/ActiveSync setup though, so no complaints there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hiyoshi posted:

How did you do a charge back? Everything I've read says that Cryptolocker only accepts payment through Bitcoin or prepaid services like MoneyPak.

Can't you pay for your MoneyPak or bitcoins or whatever with a credit card? At some point through the chain, unless you're driving to Russia and paying in cash, you can pay for it with a credit card.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I imagine any charge to moneypack, a bitcoin reseller, or anything these guys would accept are all over the illegitimate market, and the bank would likely waive it off as a fraudulent charge and nuke the card over fighting it.

I haven't seen anything like that greendot here, but I don't live in the US and figured it was all online though. Buying something in a store might be a different story.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Haha, how is that sort of thing even legal? I can think of 0 legitimate uses for that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nativity In Black posted:

So my mom's laptop got hosed up. Stopped booting altogether. I'm still not convinced that it was the hard drive but trying to boot to the system recovery or even a USB image didn't work at all until I put in a different drive.

Anyway, I'm on my third attempt to install Win 7 because it keeps getting hosed up and going to a startup repair loop. At first I thought it was Windows update, but now I think it's Toshiba's lovely drivers.

Everyone who says Linux is hard has never installed Windows and had to deal with going to an OEM site to download loving drivers, hoping you get the right ones.

I think I have it now, I just need to find the right video driver.

It would be pretty unusual to be able for the windows 7 installer to run and actually install the OS, and but not be able to boot due to missing drivers. The initial driver set is pretty robust, at least to get a bootable stable system.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The email itself is harmless, unless you run the attachment. There were thoughts that cryptolocker could also get to you through a previous infection, and getting it pushed through the botnet, but I'm not sure if that's been spotted in the wild. The email has nothing to do with that though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

stubblyhead posted:

I think you misunderstood me. My understanding is that once you get the email informing you your files are encrypted and asking for money to fix it, you're too late to prevent it and can either pay up or hope you've got good backups. This is the email that's being warned against, not the one that actually causes the infection. Or am I misunderstanding how the virus works?

Oh, sorry, I got it now. You don't get an email saying your poo poo is encrypted. You get one email with the payload attachment. Once you run that, crypto locker has infected you. The program itself should have a popup saying you're boned, and at that point, yeah. Pay or stay boned.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In reality I can't help but chuckle that in the year 2013, some big news malware still involves a regular email being sent, and requires the user actually open the attachment.

It's like a typical user is still back in 1995.

e: Wasn't supposed to sound like an "I'm better than them" post. Just a comment on how computer education/literacy either hasn't changed or doesn't exist.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wish network cards had a basic fallback mode where a generic driver will at least give some operation, kinda like video cards can at least do a basic screen without their real drivers. Because really, if you have your network more or less active, you can get the rest of them.

But instead you have to dig through a pile of old disks trying to find whatever motherboard driver cd you have, just to get old network drivers, just to download up to date ones anyways so you can get everything else.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ookiimarukochan posted:

Not me specifically, but hoo boy I bet a shitload of tickets are being generated at LA County right now. (If you've read the news reports, it's not "hacking", it something Apple have deliberately allowed since they added enterprise support to iOS, and apparently Apple have claimed somewhere that it's fixed in iOS 7 which is a complete lie)

No idea what this is about. Have any links?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lum posted:

This pisses me off. When the only instructions you can find to do a thing all link back to some youtube video where a dude with an agonisingly slow whiny voice explains how to do the thing in baby steps when all you needed was a couple of commands, not 5 minutes being shown how to click start run and type CMD in 3 different versions of Windows.

Just write the bloody instructions in text.

God drat this.

If I want some instruction on some software, I want it in text and screenshots. I don't want to drag through minutes of some neckbeard's nasally wheeze when it would take seconds to skim to the important parts. Video only makes sense with physical project instruction, like laptop disassembly or the like.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It makes sense. From the teacher's perspective, all they have are busted up shitboxes over 10 years old. The wired ones work, and the wireless ones used to work. The only issue they can see are the missing windows updates.

The fact that wireless standards don't play well with older versions, notably 802.11b, probably is something they're completely unaware of. I probably would have stated straight out that the new g/n network wouldn't work properly with b, so they have some concrete numbers - even if they don't understand the exact specifics.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hihifellow posted:

Speaking of UAC and non-compatible software, UPS Worldship needs admin rights to update and while we could just do this ourselves every time it updates, it updates about 5 times a week and it's a pain in the rear end when it's that often. Anyone have any experience getting it working in Windows 7 without pestering the user for admin rights to update?

Does it work if you give everyone modify permissions to the folder its installed to?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dick Trauma posted:

Got an early email from a user that he was having trouble logging in to his Wyse terminal. Asked him if there was an error message. His reply? "Yes." :v:

Welcome to the bottom of the pile!

"What was the error message?"

"I don't know."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GreenNight posted:

He also wants us to push down shortcuts to each intranet "department" to users desktops. About 6 shortcuts! Because it's too difficult to add a loving favorite to IE.

If there's one thing I've learned about the typical user here, is that if it's not on the desktop, it doesn't exist. Pinned icons, start menu, internet favourites? There's absolutely no loving way they can use those. Hell, they even use shortcuts to common documents. Typical desktop here looks like icon bukake.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A ticket came in to my coworker. From a woodshop teacher.

quote:

Do you have any spare hard drive parts? The cylinders in mine are smooth, but the rest is cooked.

I don't know what he did, or what he thinks he knows, but I want pictures of this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
TightVNC only allows 8, but it also only accepts 8 so it only has half the problem.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GreenNight posted:

The VP of Marketing just told me he wants me to push down a half dozen shortcuts to every employees desktop in the org. Each shortcut goes to a difference section of the intranet. He wants custom icons for each shortcut. He wants to make it so that if the shortcuts get deleted, they re-appear on next boot.

Besides the custom icons, that's about 30 seconds of work with group policy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A while ago the city was doing some work near one of our schools and had to turn the power off for the entire building. It was scheduled on a day there was no school, and we had a few weeks notice, so we sent an email out stating that power would be off for the morning, etc.

One person had a question: Will the power outage affect his computer?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Someone else will rise to the challenge. There's always someone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MJP posted:

How feasible is it to leave upper deckers in each and every one?

They'd probably hire a replacement and make him deal with those...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Man, that guy has to be either the most careless person imaginable - accidently dragging random poo poo from one place to the other, channeling some odd sort of maliciousness - deliberately making the file structure look like it was built on a non-Euclidian plane, or just plain loving schizophrenic.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I have the opposite problem. I get tickets just saying Microsoft isn't working, and they don't always refer to Windows, Office, or IE.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a site I semi-admin that said they needed help getting their new computer hooked up to their printer. No problem, I walk over there...

Their "new" computer was some giveaway thing. Some company was dumping off old WinXP boxes, and these guys won one for their office... Some busted rear end 1GHz, 256Mb ram shitbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

odiv posted:

For content, from yesterday: Why are you sending me an email at quarter to five on a Friday asking for assistance right before turning your computer off? Are you trying to sneak in at the front of the line for Monday, or...?

It was probably a problem for at least all of Friday, perhaps longer, but the user was beginning to worry that after a day or two of not doing work, people would notice.

• Locked thread