Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I just overheard someone using a phrase that made my skin crawl

"lowercase parentheses"

:yikes:

At my workplace my keyboard is in some hosed up foreign layout where all the special characters are in the wrong places.
Doesn't bother me because I touch-type and have Windows set to US-International. But when someone who hunt-and-pecks is at my keyboard and I have to have them type in an email address I just say 'uppercase 2'.
It's easier that way.

Of course recently I've heard them actually call the @ an uppercase 2 and look like a fool, so that's a nice win as well. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

From the gif thread, seems like it'd fit in here better.

Speaking of which, why the gently caress does the Xerox Colorqube piece of poo poo we have at work insist on presenting only Letter to Windows and thus scaling all pages printed on A4 (the only paper size we use) down to completely gently caress up any label printing requirements and also anything that needs proper alignment otherwise? IT won't even touch the issue. :suicide:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

mllaneza posted:

That's just about got to be a driver issue. The on-board firmware isn't smart enough to gently caress that up. Upgrading the firmware might help though. And if it's in the 88xx series, upgrade the firmware anyway because some of those models might put 50v on a 3.3v circuit and burn out a motor. Yes, the loving thing shipped with that kind of bug in the firmware.

Just don't get a Colorqube, and I'm saying that as a Xerox certified (lol) tech with a couple of years taking them apart and putting them back together. The Phaser series of color lasers are very reliable for a busy workgroup. Just don't mind the fine spray of magenta toner on the wall behind them.

Cool, thanks for confirming that the entire range is hot poo poo. Too bad I don't have any power over it since I'm just a lab tech.
The weird thing is that the big Xerox MFC we've got in the upstairs office area uses the exact same drivers. And even though it also tells Windows that it's only got Letter, it's still capable of printing A4 without wonky scaling.

Oh well, I can always hope the upcoming acquisition means our new overlords will have a heart attack when they see we're actually still using Cat 3 cable (and sometimes just Cat 2) to somehow push 10Mbit network connections and will grace us with a new infrastructure and printers that are at least functional.

One can dream.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

One of my favorite savvy users called. "I need a spare USB cable for my device, and the vendor wants $80. Seems a little steep, right? What gives?"

Is this a regular ol' PS/2 PC connector on the non-USB side? Or it some weird proprietary bullshit that they're holding us hostage with? Big pictures of the connector and port linked below.

http://imgur.com/CVxSCNU
http://imgur.com/a/3tTQm

Edit: I can't wait for all the fun crap this will cause down the line from the stupid users. "Oh yeah, we lost the USB cable that came with the device. But I've got a drawer full of old cables, what's the big deal?" :(
Edit2: It's got more pins and the ground pin is at the top, not in the middle, so it's not PS/2. Barf.

Looks like Mini-DIN 8, maybe that'll help. But good luck with getting a matching pin-out for the USB side.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I don't get why having to occasionally enter a PIN is in any way a deal breaker.

"If I have to enter my PIN every once in a while I might as well not use this convenience feature that speeds up my process 99% of the time and just always enter my PIN!"
:qqsay:

Now, the real fun starts when it's a corporate phone with a 35 day password expiry policy with no repeats allowed.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I have a passphrase, and the password is the first letter of each word. New password time, second letter of each word. Fourth, fifth etc (wrapping around when I get to the end of a word).

I'm surprised your password policy let's you get away with just repeating the same letter 8 times... Not to mention the repeat in there.

BbBbbbBb
uuuuuuuu
ffffffff
ffffffff
aaaaaaaa
llllllll
oooooooo

Speaking of password policies, the company I used to work for had a policy where the first 6 to 8 characters had to be different from the previous password.
So MyPasswrd01 to MyPasswrd02 would fail, but MyPass01 to MyPass02 would be fine. (Actual example they used.)

Am I right in thinking this probably means they stored the passwords in plaintext somewhere?
And also that this is really dumb because it invites weaker passwords, plus you can just defeat it by putting your incrementing number at the front.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Muffinlord posted:

If you need help picking one, add a number to your last one.

MyPassword!
MyPassword!1
MyPassword!11
MyPassword!111
MyPassword!1111
MyPassword!11111

User calls to complain they've run out of space on their post-it to keep on adding 1's.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Malek posted:

Or you could do.

MyPassword!1
MyPassword!2
MyPassword!3 ...

That's not adding a number to your old one, though. That's incrementing a number.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What about bivalves? :backtowork:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You put floppies in your floppy drive. You put tapes in your tape drive. You put CD Laserdiscs in your Laserdisc drive. :eng101:
You put USB cards web keys in your web key USB drive. :eng99:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

why would you want to put your swampass in your computer chair :mrwhite:

So that's what standing desks are for.

Agrikk posted:

Use this instead

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPC66U4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ju2Lzb41CAKHM

It's a sliding webcam cover for laptops so you can use your webcam when you want and keep it blacked out the rest of the time.

I use this on my work laptop and its low profile doesn't affect the laptop's ability to close properly.

These literally used to be part of laptops, but I guess manufacturers decided to save 3 cents by getting rid of them.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

anthonypants posted:

People itt keep clicking on and sharing his videos, despite telling themselves, and others, that they know better.

Fixed that for you.

You guys sure love talking about this idiot, and specifically the same few videos over and over again.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › RE: A ticket came in: Did they take the printer into the shitters with them?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I love getting tickets forwarded to me with "Please perform the changes in the attached document", with zero attachment.

Congratulations! You're done! Nice job on such a fast performance!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

1cc cubes are far larger than the nanomachines I was promised.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zereth posted:

Ops over your memory capacity decay for a bit, I don't think you can get 15,000 ops in one go.

You can get roughly 10k over with quantum computing and something to auto-click.
Just get a ton of money to buy trust.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

^ Doesn't work in Firefox so guess thats out.

I love it when people are all " Oh god its o easy just do X"
Well, I have plenty of money right now, but there is no OPTION to buy trust.

I'm gonna let creat run overnight and hit 100k and see if that does anything. otherwise Im gonna forget this silly thing

Well, if the 100k creativity doesn't get you a respec option, consider getting -10k operations by quantum computing at the end of the cycle. That will give you an option to respec everything 100% for sure.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

(Local time is 16:50) The light went out and now the internet is down and I can't sent my reports. Please fix immediately this is BUSINESS CRITICAL!!!

Oh and I cleaned up my desk to get a fresh start next year and used some scissors to get rid of those strings you guys left coming from my hard drive desktop. I can't believe you never cleaned those up after putting this here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I made a couple of posts to the new thread and now I can't find it anymore. Please make sure they're returned ASAP!!

• Locked thread