Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
That...that is certainly something. Copyright 1987, holy poo poo. It looks like that's the last time they updated the UI, too. I wonder what that codebase must look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

toe shoes posted:

One of our social media people just had their Twitter account hacked. For the second time in 3 months. If I find out that it was a phishing attack someone is going to need to lose their job.

Here, send them to this site: http://www.ismytwitterpasswordsecure.com/

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Toxteth OGrady posted:

The 'wanting rid of it' thing is fairly common in all areas of British English, but I've heard variations like 'this needs cleaned' from Northern England (e.g. Cumbria) and Scotland.

On topic, all of our students (tens of thousands) had their email migrated from live@edu to office365. All that's changed is the location of the login page. We took a weeks worth of phone calls in one day yesterday because students don't read the emails warning them of upcoming changes. I haven't done anything IT related for weeks - all I do is tell people passwords and URLs, and my working day is a constant battle not to just up and gently caress off out the door (I've got a family to feed, so can't, yet). Apologies for slight E/N.

Our school just made this change as well, I would hate to be tech support there right about now. At least while they were changing things they also changed our LMS from Angel to Desire2Learn, so we can all stop using IE6 just to submit assignments and download lecture notes! (If you've never had the pleasure of using Angel, it's like blackboard only ten thousand times more poorly written):

iframes in iframes in iframes in iframes

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Galler posted:

My school uses desire2learn and it's a horribly slow and convoluted mess that silently fails assignment submissions and other poo poo. It's probably better than Angel and about as lovely as blackboard if not a bit worse.

I haven't started using it yet as we switched for this year, but we're using the latest version and it seems okay so far from my poking around. Far better than angel, in any case. I really hope it isn't as bad as you say it is, as that would probably mean there are no decent ones anywhere. I've used blackboard, angel, and whatever the open text one is called and they're all terrible. Worst case I can go egg the D2L offices as I live in the same town!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Potato Alley posted:

Much as I almost always hate it when people do this, it sounds like you would be well within your rights to hold their site hostage until they pay you. People like this don't understand anything other than that or a letter from a lawyer. (Of course, they may lawyer up too, so that's a calculated risk based on how well you know their personality). But I mean, you hosted their site based on an ASSumption you'd get paid, and they said "hey this guy's a rube, he'll just keep hosting it, we don't pay anything, hooray!" Telling you to your face that they decided you'd keep volunteering is basically saying "yeah we think you have no balls, so why don't you roll on over there and we'll maybe throw you a scrap. Maybe." I'd just take the site down, put up a innocuous parking page with ads (hello.jpg etc. would just be bad legally since it might demonstrate malice), and send them an invoice for your hosting fees plus time plus rear end in a top hat tax and inform them they'll get "their" website which YOU developed and they didn't pay for back when you get properly compensated.

Seriously, sometimes you approach underlig levels of Stockholm. Not Corvettedilbert, there's very few who reach that magical level of "please poo poo in my mouth I love it so much", but this is not the time to be polite, it's the time to remind them that business is business and unless they're literally a charity for children with cancer (actually even then), poo poo ain't free.

This. Grab the domain again and park it until you get paid for your work and hosting and then give them the keys and be rid of them.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Please please please keep us posted, I want to see how this goes down.
:munch:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
You have a surface and they heard about its "VaporMg" coating.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
WLU starts their comp sci people off with python now, I believe. They do lots of high level stuff though, and I don't get why you would start with that. My program started with C/86k assembly in first semester and then did C++/8086 assembly in 2nd semester, and I'm glad we did because I have a much better understanding of how the low level stuff works. Which if nothing else makes me appreciate how much high level languages do for you. This semester is C# which is a whole other world (we're also keeping up with regular old C though, doing real time stuff in QNX). There's really no excuse for a decent programmer not to know what's going on under the hood.

Edit: and in very high performance environments a low level language is going to be faster anyways since it gives you more direct access to the hardware rather than something interpreted or with a JIT compiler.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 5, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

This had been a pretty lousy day, right up until that point. It was surreal. I got the middle of the line 13" with 16 gigs of RAM, 256 meg SSD. I couldn't bring myself to get the top of the line. It was just too weird.

Hope you didn't want to store anything on there! :v:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Caged posted:

People aren't going to stop calling you just because you left the company, especially if the helpdesk is poo poo.

ding ding ding, we have a winner! At least try to charge them exorbitant consultant fees when they call.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
But most importantly, gently caress printers

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I prefer QNX's slay command :black101:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Manulife Financial still uses Lotus Notes company wide, with no intention of switching!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

CommanderApaul posted:

Email drafts over a year old.

Holy poo poo :lol:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey blackswordca! Wasn't that meeting of doom that may or may not be an exit interview supposed to happen this week? I gotta know, man.

Pretty sure that was today. Get in here blacksword!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

:laffo: if you think we wouldn't be sued out the rear end for license violation around here (it'll never happen). We've got MSE on everything, so probably 90+ machines. We're also running unlicensed Teamviewer on everything. And I'm almost certain there's a few computers with less-than-legit copies of Windows. I can recall at least 4 right now that don't have internet access that are constantly screaming about authentication.

Hell, our playout system for the news is a 5 versions behind beta version of Blackstorm we were doing a "trial run" on years and years ago. It doesn't check for a license and apparently doesn't have a trial period.

I hope you've brought this up to your boss and have it in writing that he's said it's fine. Because when (not if) Microsoft comes a knocking, I would bet dollars to donuts he tries to throw you under the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
What timezone is MJP in, I'm dying here :f5:

• Locked thread