Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

mysteryberto posted:

The best is people including headshots for an IT job.

Headshots are normal for all CVs here, is this not true for you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Factory Factory posted:

Nope. European CVs are about the person. US resumes are about skills, degrees, and other measures of the value an employer can extract.

Well you probably won't get a job if you don't include your qualifications here, but you are right, we have a lot of stuff about unrelated education and such. Heh, I never noticed this before.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think the idea is the only reason you'd need a head shot for most jobs is to discriminate illegally.

Well I always assumed it's so that HR can go "THAT GUYS FAT, NOPE" "DON'T LIKE HIS FACE, BYE". Since it's their choice who to hire, you can't really get around it. Also we don't have that many black people to have problems with racism, our foreigners are clearly distinguishable by their name. :downs:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Nativity In Black posted:

The first "Tech" Job I got after getting my A+ cert was in a call center doing tech support for the warranties that Staples (and others) sold. People called in all the time because someone at the store had told them their warranty covered X thing or that they could walk in and get a replacement no questions asked. I grew to hate the sales people until I realized that A) There were plenty of people who were willing to shoot customers straight and B) This was all of course shoved down by management to get better numbers. I left that job after 9 months for a slightly less soul crushing job that I stayed at for 2 years.

In the poo poo That Pisses You Off Thread people were discussing monitor resolutions and reminded me of a particular issue I had. We had a vendor that came to over see the final install and setup of a Police Records system. Since I was am the only IT guy at this place, I ended up getting called over and over to perform IT backflips and "make it work..." I got a call from our Court Clerk telling me the Vendor said she needed a larger monitor. I go down there and she has a 20" monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024. Because she's older this usually runs at 1024x768. Not a big deal right? The software the vendor is pushing wont fit on this screen. So his solution is to get a bigger screen. This isn't the first completely batshit solution this guy has had either. The software supposedly works well and the Police Chief likes it, so I'm willing to make it work, but this guy doesn't seem to understand that we are working with a relatively small budget.

A+ is the worst poo poo as far as I can gather.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Uhm. Sorry, but as I work in a hospital, may I note that you are legally obliged to literally burn that fucker if you aren't going to decontaminate every nook and cranny? Like seriously, hand it off to whoever gets rid of biohazard stuff in that clinic or find someone who is qualified to dispose of contaminated materials, you shouldn't even be handling that without a (short) training on how to make sure you aren't endangering anyone.

Please get rid of it immediately, there are serious risks involved if not handled properly.

Edit:
And for the love of god, never put that in the normal electronics trash, you could infect whoever handles that, or worse.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

HalloKitty posted:

This was a while ago, a repost from the old thread for nostalgia's sake

Oh right, I am not that far into that one.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
The police one once managed to infest the Citrix session, when they told me their card was broken and I saw that, I couldn't stop laughing. Also not my job or even department, but I just told the outsourced office IT to remake her session profile and done. Still was hilarious seeing it inside the session.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Windows System Assessment Tool just hijacked my computer I am actively using like it owns it...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Alereon posted:

My coworkers have developed the perfect strategy for this: if they encounter any computer problem or strange behavior, they reboot their machines. If that doesn't fix the problem, they reboot their machines AGAIN, and will simply keep rebooting and trying again until it works or someone tells them to stop. This is especially the case for network problems or things like not being able to access a mapped network drive.

Well domt complain, literally no one here tries a reboot, and if you ask them, they just lie to you.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

That...that is certainly something. Copyright 1987, holy poo poo. It looks like that's the last time they updated the UI, too. I wonder what that codebase must look like.

NO gently caress YOU!!! They added a TViewer button, so it's obviously all up to standards! -1 Observation Skills.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

tjl posted:

That background is nauseating... imagine that on a crappy 1997 CRT.

I would love to read the software requirements too. Something like:

Requires an IBM compatible 386 or better with 4 megs of RAM
VGA graphics card
Hard disk drive

Actually more like 192 GB of RAM to support the clientside database that loads everytime you do anything.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

blackswordca posted:

So a new job opportunity call came in.

I got a call for a non- IT job to do dispatching work for a fuel company in the city. Gonna follow up with them tomorrow, but if i get it, im looking at a 60-75% pay increase plus real benefits.

Wait so a logistics/call-center job that pays way more than your IT job? loving do it already!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

KennyG posted:

It's no less secure to print to a common area if you get your fat rear end up and go get it. I print confidential/sensitive (not under DoD standards) information on the group printer all the drat time. I hit file, print, and go get it. Simple.

Don't print the report of everyone's salary and then walk around for the next 20 minutes chit chatting about the bachelor.

The CPP of a department/group printer can be $.01 or .02 for mono, you are looking at even the best desktop lasers are in the $.03 - $.04 range. Not to mention the fact that your $5,000-$10,000 printer is cheap for 100 users versus 100 $500 printers. Doubly so for opex.

When you have to fulfill certain confidentiality requirements, this isn't all that easy.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sweevo posted:

I used to work for a dealership chain. The parts catalogue software from one manufacturer required that you install a specific (and ancient) version of java, and then uninstall it, and install another specific version. I have no idea how/why, but the software would not run without doing that.

Another manufacturer had a catalogue that would only run if it was installed on a FAT16 drive (this was in 2002).

Probably because that old Java left behind some registry keys, drivers, binaries, whatever bloat they leave, and the software relies on it. Instead of just taking those repositories and giving you a package or installer for them, they have you do that.
At least that's my best guess.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I can choose between any slack clothes I want or go all the way up to full white doctor clothes + a loving labcoat.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to finally get an SSD for my home machine but encountered some weirdness after cloning to it. I posted this in the SSD thread but it doesn't get much traffic and there's plenty of smart people here:

I have a weird problem. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig drive. I'm using the free Easeus 6.0 backup to clone my old drive to the new one. The old drive has three partitions: System Recovery (100 megs), Main Drive (900 gigs) and manufacturer restore (10 gigs.)

After cloning disk to disk from old to new the manufacture restore is still 10 gigs, but the System Recovery partition ballooned to 5 gigs and the main drive takes what's left. System boots fast but it's annoying to see so much wasted space.

Booted off the old drive, cleared off the SSD partitions and manually cloned the partitions one at a time. Sizes were then correct, but it was skipped in the boot sequence in favor of the old drive. I noticed that the SSD main partition wasn't active so I activated it and now my system attempts to boot from it but I get a message that the boot manager is missing.

Should I just be using a Windows repair CD to fixmbr and fixbot this thing, or is there some other issue with how I cloned via partitions?

EaseUS Partition Master is what I used and it worked perfectly.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to finally get an SSD for my home machine but encountered some weirdness after cloning to it. I posted this in the SSD thread but it doesn't get much traffic and there's plenty of smart people here:

I have a weird problem. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig drive. I'm using the free Easeus 6.0 backup to clone my old drive to the new one. The old drive has three partitions: System Recovery (100 megs), Main Drive (900 gigs) and manufacturer restore (10 gigs.)

After cloning disk to disk from old to new the manufacture restore is still 10 gigs, but the System Recovery partition ballooned to 5 gigs and the main drive takes what's left. System boots fast but it's annoying to see so much wasted space.

Booted off the old drive, cleared off the SSD partitions and manually cloned the partitions one at a time. Sizes were then correct, but it was skipped in the boot sequence in favor of the old drive. I noticed that the SSD main partition wasn't active so I activated it and now my system attempts to boot from it but I get a message that the boot manager is missing.

Should I just be using a Windows repair CD to fixmbr and fixbot this thing, or is there some other issue with how I cloned via partitions?

I just remembered something mate, iirc, you are supposed to move everything 1 MB from the front in EaseUS.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'll say it, I think we need the poo poo that pisses you off thread back again. The previous one released the "IT chat" pressure from both threads, and made them readable and decently on topic. This new megathread is pretty insane with 70+ posts to catch up on if I go a few hours without breaks in meetings during the day.

This thread is averaging 80 posts a day.

Yeah I don't think merging 3 major megathreads that all saw a lot of traffic into one was the greatest idea, I'm having a hard time catching up on one stream of conversation when there are 20 simultaneous ones in one thread.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
ID: 01561819
Ticket Title: Supervisor Escalation
Content: Please revert \"RE\: A ticket came in\.\.\.\, Working in IT and Booze Discussion \& poo poo that you come across daily\" to their last production revision, users are complaining about (unfound) rise in productivity and unacceptable (yeah right) increase of simultaneous connections to all nodes. 1st couldn't confirm any of this, but the users are threatening to escalate to their heads, so you might want to avoid another one of those angry emails, you know that budgeting is coming up.
Priority: VERY URGENT

Edit:

ID: 01561832
Ticket Title: Follow Up to\: \#01561819
Content: We have reports of users not able to follow "Puppy in the server room", since this is going to bring down morale, I think it is time to act immediately, otherwise we might face a total stop of all work, and you know, even tho that wouldn't be much of a difference, someone might notice!
Priority: CRITICAL

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 24, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Helushune posted:

I just received several emails from some of our new hires...
:byodood: "There's no Outlook or Word icons on my desktop! These are mission critical programs that I need installed within the hour to do my work!"

I know for a fact that Office is installed on these users machines because I personally re-imaged their workstations. This whole "the icon's not on my desktop and that means the program's not installed" mentality is becoming more and more common in all of our new hires. It seems like no one knows what the start menu is or hasn't the slightest idea of how to use it.

Thats why Windows 8

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

guppy posted:

The daisy-chained power strips thing drives me crazy. I don't understand how you get to be an adult without understanding that it's not okay. Ours don't do it to get more outlets, though, they just move offices and insist on having their equipment setup in the least convenient possible places, far away from power and data drops.

I did feel bad for one guy who changed offices a couple months ago, though. His new office has exactly one pair of outlets and one data and voice wall plate... and they are on opposite walls across from each other.

Now here comes an unpopular opinion: Daisy chaining power strips isn't necessarily evil. If you are using a 16A rated power strip, that's literally more than your average section is going to be rated for, so there's no problem chaining these to infinity, because the fuse is going to die before the powerstrips do. Now I know electrics quality isn't the same in the US as it is here, but I imagine you guys use the same quality for IT, so really it's not an actual issue. It's untidy, shouldn't be a permanent solution, but it's by no means horrible. It doesn't change a thing if you make those amps available on more outlets or not, new wall outlets don't suddenly add capacity, they are literally convenient connectors added to the same circuit.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Partycat posted:

We have fire inspectors who will come around and cite you for a NFPA violation if you do that. My office is like the above post, 2 outlets on one wall, data on another ( but 6 of them), and a giant modular corner desk opposite. I just got me one of those power strips from an old server rack that is 6 feet long with a ton of outlets.

Theres no fire hazard because you chqin them up...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's cute that you think people that do this are using high-quality stuff and not either A) Something they found buried in a closet of unknown source and/or vintage, or B) The absolute cheapest piece of poo poo they could find at WalMart on their lunch break.

Well I dont know, even the cheapest crap here is rated for 7 Amps and normal homes have a max of 10. Any decent ones are rated to 16 so at that point you can literally do nothing but trip the beaker.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

What houses are you in, I've regularly had to install 15s at a minimum, 20's are common in high-draw areas. And there's always the questionable maxocheaps from walmart that's rated to 7a but degrade over time when everyone kicks at, trips over, slams desk into, and runs the chair over the power strips... It's a bloody loving nightmare and an electrical fire waiting to happen.

Got 230v forgot about that. Single circuits are at 12a, obviously the houses are way higher.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

TWBalls posted:

We have a couple of somewhat similar stupid situations with laptops here. I had a small stack of laptops that were supposed to be loaners for end users. Some of the other techs loaned them out without telling me and none of them thought to take note of whom is borrowing what. I now have no more loaners and no one knows where the others are.

We ordered about 10 or so laptops for the O.R. (4 for main O.R., 4 for Outpatient Surgery O.R and 2 for Labor & Delivery O.R.) They were all purchased with locks so that they wouldn't be stolen or moved around. We've already had to have a couple of them fixed/replaced due to the Anesthesiology techs dropping them. We've also had to make an easy labeling system for them since they keep moving around. ORLAP-01 should naturally go in O.R. Room 1, but of course it's not always there which can be a pain when you are trying to remote into it to help them with issues (otherwise you gotta put on a bunny suit, cap and face mask in order to go into the room and fix it).

Our ANÄ Laptops are on metal tables with wheels, glued and locked to them. Maybe this can help you as well? Prevents both stealing and dropping, sadly not dumbassery.
Also, just asking them where they are right now usually works, we just have a p-touch label with the name on them.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

guppy posted:

I had a guy tell me his MacBook was slow last week. We've been a PC shop for years, but have allowed a mixed environment starting last year. We have no training whatsoever, but we can figure out most of the basic stuff.

"It's slow" is almost invariably a bullshit claim, but sure, I'll look at it. He says it's been a problem for months, but he's only bothered to tell us about it now, and it took him a while to actually bring it in. He can't stay, he has things to do, so I look at it and I can find absolutely nothing wrong with it. I get an email at the end of the day as I'm on the way out the door containing both his description of the problem and his assistant's restatement of that description, which do not agree with each other. He says "it keeps spinning when email is open"; she says "the disc spins when Internet Explorer" is open. (Recall that this is a MacBook Pro. It is not running Parallels or anything like that. It is definitely not an "Internet Explorer" problem.) I get nothing more than those descriptions to go on. I have no idea if this is an Outlook issue or something in webmail or what.

I did finally manage to catch up with him and he says it's Outlook. (Of course, his descriptions so far have of limited accuracy, so who knows, but it's somewhere to start.) He still hasn't actually managed to bring the machine back in for me to look at.

Disable Antivirus and it will probably magically work.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Bob Morales posted:

Boss is a moron. This APC UPS sends an email that the battery failed. I want to replace it.

"That's impossible. It's only 8 months old."

Maybe it was defective?

"So-and-so just replaced it. Here's the email invoice of when I bought the battery."

Okay, well it's defective we need to RMA it.

"There must be something else wrong. It's not that old."

IT'S DEFECTIVE YOU gently caress

He has been an rear end about this for like...3 months.

Schedule a poweroff test with Facilities.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

TWBalls posted:

We have some carts that we could put them in that are actually for Computer-on-wheels type of situations, but they're pretty limited in space. They have a small metal table on the side of the anesthesia cart that it normally sits. Not sure why they move them at all, they should just sit there unless there's something physically broken.

For the computer names, I've just made it standard to put a p-touch label in the upper right corner of the monitor. The labels are formatted like this:

Computer name:
ORLAP-01
and yet, when you ask for the computer name, they still ask how to find it. It's staring them in the face and says 'computer name' right there on the label. :ughh:

Well mate, let me tell you, even here on pretty much the other side of the planet, Doctors and especially anesthesiologists are still the biggest loving idiots to have work with IT. We are still migrating from PACS to IMPAX 4, even tho IMPAX was officially declared prod about 2 years ago, but every special butterfly still needs to work with PACS because the interface changed (from crappy metal texture to dark grey). When they have issues it's protocol to update to IMPAX and remove PACS. (If IMPAX is already on there, just remove PACS)
Once a doctor talked down to me for like 10 minutes after I told him that I upgraded them to IMPAX which they should have been using for 2 years, he then demanded I fix PACS instead. Simply escalated to our PACS guy and left them fuckers there, go use another PC if you need your precious old software. Can't wait for that dying software to disappear, but they are making it real hard for us.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Caged posted:

I made a little Powershell script that pops the computer name up in a dialog box on the middle of the screen, and deployed a shortcut to it on everyone's desktops.

People still struggle to find the icon, but it's easier than the alternatives.

Our office IT has a tool to send messages to (all) PCs, but obviously medical IT no get because of possible abuse. Weird thing that rollout day there were insults to doctors not only on all PCs but also all patient name monitors...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

pixaal posted:

Yeah we just don't have the time to figure out what the passwords are for the switches since no one knows them, and we have other things not working. We know its an issue, but its going to be messy since no one has any idea what the password is.

Reset them? Since you don't know their passwords you don't know their config and that is BAD.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Found out today that our department knows the details to the patient wifi test account. Even the University partnership programmer gets it, but when I ask for it when it's mentioned they go "You don't need to know everything. gently caress you. I have to pay for a data plan to do occasional checks and stay available for push notifications, while we have a wifi around the whole complex and actually have details for it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Motronic posted:

I've been in IT for a long time, as well as a sometimes paid and mostly volunteer firefighter.

There is no reason for most of the IT being put into trucks.

Yes, floor plans, MSDSs, battery locations on cars, etc. You know how we have gotten those for years? In the binders and books on the truck. They are well organized and never crash.

The best uses of laptops in trucks is for computer aided dispatch, who's usage is questionable at best in a truck. Chief's car, sure.

I just don't get it. Literally everything you could need in an engine, ladder or rescue is better served by what we've had for decades, with the addition of a GPS for out of district calls where your driver might not be familiar. And even then, the officer can just read a paper map and navigate like we've been doing for decades. Hell, out dispatch still gives us a map page and grid location for every call.

I see your point, but I hate your argument. "Why upgrade, the current way has worked for decades?" is not a valid reason, navigating by map is slower and less efficient most of the time. So are things like hazmat code lookup etc. Sure bring a backup booklet if you cant gurantee your systems to work, otherwise even that becomes redundant with proper equipment checks.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
OMG
Im on holiday. Just went by work to pickup some personal affects, going back to work monday. Now get this: My personal cupboard has been broken into. Literally ripped open. And I know exactly who it was. That shithead feels entitled to have access to MY dvds for work at all times. Apparently this includes breaking into my only personal space at work. Currently trying to determine how far to raise this issue. Considering calling in HR and maybe even threaten with cops. I am glowing white on the inside with rage. How can one think breaking into a coworkers personal belongings coild ever be ok... :psypop:

If you guys want I can keep you updated.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

RadicalR posted:

I would be careful how much information you post on the internet, especially if you decide to take it to the cops.

This isn't America, I can't hurt my case by sharing details about it. At least I think that's what you're referring to?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Gehenomm posted:

Don´t threaten to take this to the cops, take it to the cops, and let them and whoever is in charge there sort it out.

I dont really want to make my boss mad at me.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

So it was your boss?

No but Im pretty sure he would mind, he's off the "lets settle things internally" type. Easily feels betrayed etc.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
About google name updates: I was getting the annoying "please use your real name"thing as well again and again. Then I sent feedback to youtube about it and it stopped. When I heard people talking about it later, I thought maybe they removed the 'bother this person' flag?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
-What are you doing Betamax?-

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

couldcareless posted:

They are trying to spell out a secret message to you.

Space Return Left Right NumLock! F1 F2 F4 F5!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Just read though this, I guess it's relevant since he works in IT and she does too:
http://chiekawabata.com/
:stare:

• Locked thread