Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

guppy posted:

Did she offer any explanation?

More importantly, who is she sleeping with that she's still getting replacements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Helushune posted:

Since we've been incredibly busy lately, we had a contractor come in and run some cat-5 to network up a lab of ours. When he was done, only about a quarter of the computers could connect to the network. Long story short, he crimped all the ends like so:
Orange, orange white, blue, brown white, brown, blue white, green, green white.
I think it took us longer to re-crimp all the cable to pattern B than it would have to just do it right the first time.

Can I ask why you use hand made cables? They usually are inferior at the ends compared to mass produced ones, and they usually run far more expensive.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I'm trying to encrypt my new Laptop without reinstalling, but it's GPT and I can't find a tool that will let me. Anyone know of one?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Ticket #37: So youve spent 7 hours working out 5 issues I reported, but the one you told me only otherit can handle still doesnt work!!!

Yes you have to talk to otherit.

Call from Otherit FLS: Your PC, your problem, stop redirecting them back to us!!!!!!!!

You run SAP, right? Its failing to tell our software about whatever the user is looking for. Have you checked if the uset is supposed to even see it?

Ok I will direct this to our SAP crew. You really should have access to our ticket system so you dont have to forward them :downs:

We have been trying to get access to write them tickets for a year... He said he'd rise it at the next IT meeting for the hospital. My :10bux: is on nothing will happen.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Varkk posted:

Kies is pissing me off at the moment.

Had a client with a Galaxy S2 ,was syncing with his personal outlook calendar fine and everything was working. Then he had some issue with his phone and his provider did a factory reset and reloaded his details etc. Now it won't sync his calendar with Outlook. Kies says it syncs and everything looks like it goes fine but nothing shows on the Calendar on his phone. The phone is definitely displaying the correct calendar. Samsung tech support only seems to have one answer for anything related to Kies and that is uninstall/reinstall Kies which has been done but no change. Adding to the annoyance is the client will not touch any cloud based system. So I can't get it to sync up to google or similar and then back down to the phone. He has not set up an account for the Play store so can't try an alternative calendar app. The phone only comes with a Samsung branded on called S Planner. I had to manually install the Android calendar on my one. Kies often seems to be quite hit and miss. Sometimes it will work flawlessly but then the same setup with a different phone/PC and various things will not work.

Have you tried turning it...
Otherwise try to stop the app and clear any and all data.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Crowley posted:

2681xxx signing in.

369360300. Always remember it, regardless of me never using it or even looking at it really. Even after 5 years.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I never understood emailing big files. Just set up a FTP or http share or something. Or use mega if you can't get any help from IT.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Encountered pc with no xcopy. Why? This just doesnt make sense...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MF_James posted:

All our notes in our ticketing system COULD be viewed by clients, but none of them ever log into the system, but why would you be putting stuff into your ticketing system that you don't want someone to look at? Seems like a Bad Choice.

Also your username is awesome, pretty sure I've had people call Kyocera printers that exactly.

"This dickhead thinks he is entitled to a higher quota, because he's the CEO. Can you believe this human being?"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Migishu posted:

Oh poo poo, 70 new posts, I wonder what glorious story there is to r...

:jebstare:

Now, I'll admit I'm one of those people who try to diffuse a situation, but even I know that a contract is a contract in business, no matter who signs it (oh hey, being a massive Star Trek nerd has taught me something).

An excuse of "this person does not have the right to sign the contract" should have been brought up before they signed the contract, not after. It's their drat problem, not yours.

I would demand payment or tell them that the site is going down. You've been over-generous.

It's one of the few times where holding the site hostage is legal and that's what you should be doing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Helushune posted:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile. But seriously, don't go work at a car wash.

Good thing not all windowd utilities are .exe files!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Last_Taste posted:

As a lurker to this thread, I have a question.

As a non IT person, is it rude to try to give the helpdesk/IT support info related to a potential fix for a problem I have with my PC?

I can't install a microsoft program I need to work with 2 outside agencies. It hangs up trying to install "C++2008..." and stops. I goggled the issue, and found the problem in the MS support forums. Followed the instructions, and I get another error. Turns out that the issue is likely because I use another program that cases some memory usage issues. I use this specific software, and this is a known issue. I tracked down this solution.
If anybody is interested, it can be found here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ystem-resources

The solution involved making a change within the registry. I would make the change myself, but registry stuff is one area I try to avoid.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control
Key: RegistrySizeLimit
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0xffffff (4294967295)

Is it rude to give this (plus the other MS forum info) to try to speed up the fix? It is frustrating because the 1st level of IT here is student help, and it may take a while to get the issue resolved.

It is rude to insist on "it's the usb controller, I know because that's what it's been before. Sure, try what you think, but I'm telling you I am right.". If you give detailed information that's fine.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Trying to get off for gta v. Boss hasnt been at work since wednesday. So now I have to drive into work, ask for days off, hope his current menstruations against me arent in effect and then hopefully go home.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I was told to fix our shredder by a senior member of staff. Tried, no luck. Today I come in and get an earfull from the boss for wasting time on 'playing around'.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Kumquat posted:

So you're just making a strawman then? How do you know it wasn't the following?

Scenario 3:

Work has been slow lately and this game I'm excited to play is coming out next week. Man, I've got a lot of PTO saved up, maybe I'll take a day off and spend some time playing this game.

This is the one, but because my boss is for some reason hating me right now, I am right now at work waiting for him to 'decide'.
I dont know what I did, but he has been chewing me out this whole month and it isnt over yet by the looks of it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Apparently I cant have any days off because as person with highest seniority I am the only one out of 4 who can keep things running. When I said I trust the next in line coworker, bossman said 'Youre just saying that to get your days off'. No fick you he is the only other capable person on my team the 2 guys working externally atm are way worse...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Rohaq posted:

Time to have some 'sick' days then.

Seriously, your PTO was agreed upon in your contract when you first signed up, and they can't just tell you that you can't take it; they would be in breach of contract for not providing you the benefits and compensation that they promised for the service you provide.

If they seriously can't cope without you to the point where you can't take a single day off they are:

a). Seriously incompetent managers and setting themselves up to fail.
b). Need to look into cross training your colleagues to the point where they can easily take over your responsibilities, at least on a temporary basis.
c). Apparently shown that they can't afford to fire you for taking 'sick' days anyway.

Cant do that poo poo here. With a healthcare system I have to hand in a note from the national insurance that I was sick, which means a doc has to verify it. (Yes I have to go to the doctor always, no matter how bad it is. Same day, too. Unless youre dying thats hardball.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
User cant export data. Get thei, set export directory to something with write permissions,gold. Find new problem when doc is uploading anonymous patient records to a site with an invalid cert. Tell him, tells me to fix it. 'This isnt even our pc or anything to do with us, Im just here to help you guys out. You shouldnt upload to that site with that cert. They'll have to fix that.'
Apparently its someedical curriculum that he 'has' to upload all his records to. When I asked who told him that and who manages that process in house he had no answer. So yeah, higher up doctor uploading all of his records to foreign database with invalid certs. I dont doubt that thats some sort of statistics project, but jesus what are you doing.
Also, boss told me not to bother him with law violations that happen on pcs that arent ours. I guess if I see a doctor murder someone it's "not our problem" either.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

HalloKitty posted:

That's fantastic. It'd be nice if it was metal, though.

I first thought it was aluminium. Kinda seems crappy with it being plastic, the corner is going to be hosed up quickly.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Migishu posted:

I'm glad my last day is next week, otherwise I'd get roped into helping deal with this mess.

Can't be above 8 in length? That would piss me the hell off.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure my hospital office IT also enforces either 5 or 8 exact for low(ish) and high(ish) security accounts respectively. So yeah, anyone with access to drug order forms, medical records and more has exactly 8 symbols in their password. Isn't exactly hard to even rainbowtable that.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Domus posted:

It gets even sillier than that. I did some IT work for an agency for the blind. Everyone with a guide dog used the dog's name as a password. Every single person. If you were really lucky, it was the name of a guide dog they'd had in the past.

Find the guy walking them through sign up. Its the guy telling them "Just use your guide dog's name" I bet.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

mysteryberto posted:

Pro tip to anyone with the cloud to butt extension turned on. It will replace forms you are typing in with butt as well. Normally hilarious but bad for job apps.

Instant hire.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Lum posted:

I'd fail one of those, and I don't do drugs.

One of the legit medications I'm taking has a side effect of making you test positive for methamphetamine.

You declare that medicine I guess. But you have a right to not disclose medical info. So just claim you are taking meds that cause that. But even that would be traceable. So I guess really you just gotta say 'I dont take that'

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I wanna try out DD-WRT, but there's no official version for my WRT54G3G, I found a thread claiming that you can just flash the WRT54G version, but there are like 500 Versions of the router and then the firmware.
Anyone know how to figure this out?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

hihifellow posted:

A while back someone in marketing put in a ticket to have Adobe CS 5.5 purchased and installed on one of their computers; it was already budgeted so no big deal, just has to go through my boss since she does all the purchasing.

About two months go by before marketing starts wondering where their software is, so I poke my boss; "I bought it last month, didn't you read the ticket?" No notification that she updated the ticket, and on a stack of 50 it gets a little difficult to notice a ticket being updated. Whatever, grabbed the software and the key and went installing.

Invalid key. I go through Adobe's chat support and after 20 minutes of terrible scripted answers I find out the key is for Adobe Acrobat 8. Let my boss know, and she says she'll get back to me. In the mean time I set the install to the 30 day trial so they can at least use it.

Another month goes by and the trial expires and marketing is getting antsy so I poke my boss again. "Oh I updated the ticket with the new key." Still no notification, and I know the checkbox to send an email to all asignees on update works, but whatever, let's get the key in.

:newlol: Invalid key :newlol:

You have bought Adobe Premiere 5, congratulations!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

Oh, and to everyone saying how easy DNS is: check out the A records for "wc-roads.com" right now.

Cool:
wc-roads.com. 900 IN NS sunny2.ci.hillsboro.or.us.
wc-roads.com. 900 IN NS dns2.the-bug.org.
wc-roads.com. 900 IN SOA sunny2.ci.hillsboro.or.us. dns.ci.hillsboro.or.us. 14 3600 600 604800 900

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

feld posted:

I take this is some sort of sarcasm? Or are you completely unaware that having your NS split between multiple providers is key to surviving DNS DDoS?

They should have more than two NS though, but if they're both anycast then it's OK.

That's ANY. So no.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Can someone sum up Nassi-Shneiderman-Diagrams for me? They seem highly irrelevant to me, but I was asked about it and wikipedia isn't all that helpful right now.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
A verbal ticket came in from the 2nd head of department (Not IT, we are part of a bigger one):
"There's Ás all over my pc on boot and other fragments, I think it has a virus. Here's my HDD, scan it please."
Well, nothing on there, filesystem also reads fine. Can you show me the Laptop?
So he brings it in a day later, and the symptoms are all there, graphic glitches on most images, Á all over the place and other text fragmenting. Told him to trash the age old Dell, nothing we can do about it after a memtest.

I hate when people don't show you the problem, especially such a generic one, instead they ask you to blindly follow up on their diagnosis.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

blackswordca posted:

Thats pretty much the situation. With my luck, he will call during my interview.

Turn off you phone.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Paladine_PSoT posted:

A task came in: Anyone know if I can look at a metric fuckton of computers in a domain and figure out who the primary user of each is? I don't mean just seeing who's logged in, I mean like saying reasonably "Machine 48572 is mostly used by John Frogout"

Youd have to either use last user or compile something from logon events I think

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I couldnt get any work done without a list of function user passwords. Since those only give local access its not THAT horrible. The sensitive data is in citrix with their credentials. Of course there is the whole desktop document poo poo. And local software with access. So really it is bad. :saddowns:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I'd have a hard time not telling that guy to GET THE gently caress OUT upon seeing that.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
A ticket from Office IT provider called in:
"Hey, I just got a call that there's an issue at ... and jsut wanted to let you know. It was reported by (Coworker)."
"Uh, dude, that's one of our guys?"
"Alright, forget I called, I'll check it out."

So they literally redirected a call that we responded to out of courtesy to our department because these fuckheads are too lazy to do any of the poo poo they are paid a fuckton for. We have literally no responsibility over this case and they independently forwarded the issue when my loving coworker (who identified himself...) reported the issue. They don't seem to pay attention who they talk to... So yeah, let's go there after escalating an issue with your PC which only you can fix to you.
We SHOULD stop doing these courtesy calls, but my department is looking to keep the hospital running, while they are only trying to do nothing they aren't forced to with a gun.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MJP posted:

I have no clue what that is, but my boss wanted me to move from Mon-Fri to working Saturdays with a comp day during the week, so long as it wasn't Monday or Friday. So yes, that thing in the picture was my boss.

Edit: A ticket went out...

Last Thursday I had to stay late to participate in testing sites on our new Websense Triton appliance. No more Websense application, it's all its own box now. Part of it involved some new protocol and my desktop was moved to a new vlan to test.

Testing completes, I go home Thursday, I was sick on Friday, I come back on Monday and as we found during testing, some internal Sharepoint sites are jacked up. Except mine are still jacked up.

Still on the test vlan, I emailed the project people asking them to move me back to the production desktop vlan. No response. Come in today, I still can't get to internal Sharepoint sites.

I guess it was my turn to be THIS IS IMPACTING PRODUCTION!!1!!!1!!! but if nothing else I sure as hell hope this gets me out of the new Websense appliance. I can see the forums but any graphics are no-go, and it's tough hunting for the 1px-sized Edit/Reply buttons in threads.

"Tasteless"
I was moved to it recently. The active filter violates our communication laws....

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MJP posted:

My boss once sent me a Websense graph showing the top 10 bandwidth sites, asking me to find out who the frequent visitors to #1 and #2 were.

It was for ESPN tennis streaming and Fox News streaming respectively. There was only one or two users on each.

Websense sucks but using about 2gb of bandwidth to stream over 24 hours... bleh.

The primary offender of the Adult/Sex or equivalent category was one of our DBAs going to Adult Friend Finder style sites

I mostly take offense to the fact that they blocked the gaming category, a lot of sites only remotely related to gaming get locked out. (Like tech news...)
And as I said, the fact that they scan page content is highly illegal in my country, but when I raised it on the anonymous complaint system, the response from the office IT boss was just "We evaluate all systems and I should have been a politician because I am not even responding to the complaint and rather just farting out random phrases. If requested we can provide a effectiveness evaluation :D!" You'd be surprised how little liberty I took with that.
Also, circumvent by using https, oldest trick in the book. (If they were to find this out they'd probably disable https. We don't even have FTP...)
I wish our department would have our own proxy or something.

Edit:
Also youtube is unblocked because surgical videos+doctors=required. Also for some reason facebook is as well (probably so the press officer can take care of the page I guess)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
It's already highly illegal to inspect any plain text content data, decrypting would make the case even easier. Hell, technically it's illegal to inspect any meta data as well, unless absolutely necessary to provide service (AKA looking at the headers in ur routas and sweetches). I'm just hoping they try to do anything about me watching a youtube video on the side while coding or similar things. I'm not settling that case :colbert:. Also there's been a complaint from SOME anonymous party that already mentioned this glaring illegality and no one did anything about it which opens up so much more liability.

tl;dr:
You wanna illegally look at my traffic? Come at me bro.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sirotan posted:

Honestly, if you are using work time and work computer to look for a new job, you're really loving dumb. We had some people here browsing Monster.com and the like so much on the clock that we had to start blocking anything job-search related. I have no idea if their supervisors found out about this but since someone asked us to put in the block, I would assume so.

I'm posting this at work so I'm obviously fine with people doing some personal internet stuff on their work computers if it's slow or you need a break or w/e but don't job search at your job ffs.

Why is going to monster.com any different to any other site if time allows it?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

the littlest prince posted:

In terms of preventing employees from doing so, it's not. In terms of whether an employee should, I think it's pretty obvious how it's different.

It's no ones business which sites an employee goes to, even if he's sucking up bandwidth you simply block the site and don't go checking on who is doing it. At least that's my ethics, and the law in my country. A lot of IT don't follow it because HR wants a report on something and they don't have the balls to say "No. That is illegal.". I don't know if you guys have any sort of law like this, but we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sirotan posted:

By that logic is it ok for people to look at porn on company time and on a company computer? What about gambling? Or using company resources (time, computers) for personal projects? I can think of plenty examples that are probably legal, and highly inappropriate. Much like looking for a new job on company time.

As far as I know there are no laws governing this in the US. My company's policy is that personal computer/internet use should only be done on personal time (ie, breaks). I would guess 100% of the time that policy is not followed, nor is it really enforced on our end. We did block streaming media recently due, but that was more due to the considerable chunk of bandwidth it was taking up than how appropriate it was for our users to be accessing it on company time.

What do I care if he places his bets in his break via the PC? Could do it via phone as well. It being used outside of breaks is a separate issue. Porn usually goes hand in hand with jacking off, which is obviously extreme misbehavior. And watching porn also doesn't exactly help the image of the company. But honestly, what does it matter to me if Jake from accounting checks his bank account or looks at attractive women in his break? As long as he's not jacking it and not exposing others to it, I couldn't give less fucks. I am not big brother and I don't want to be. I feel like it is no one's business to tell people what they can look at or not. If you really think trying everything to stop people from doing private stuff on their work PC, GJ demotivating your employees. They'll just use their phone or find some other way to occupy themselves during downtime they might have. It is the most retarded thing to try and artificially fill downtime, and I will never get tired of telling people to stop doing it.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

what country is that? Only one I can think of is the where internet is a "human right", but even then you are utilizing private property.

Austria. It's pretty similar in most of the EU I think.

• Locked thread