Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Superdawg posted:

I hope you're not considering RI as part of that 'Southeast New England'. Their rates are considerably lower compared to Boston.

My contribution (we use google apps for email):

"It seems as though once again all the items in my deleted folder are
disappearing. I only have deleted emails back to June 20th. Please
restore the deleted items and change the setting that deletes my email.

thanks."

As you see, it is stated "once again". Since we had this same conversation 6 months earlier. You see, this users uses the "DELETE" button as their "archive" button, because they prefer the 1-click operation in Outlook to get it out of their inbox. His argument is "Everyone I know does this, and I've been doing it for two decades".

ugh.

Turn on keyboard shortcuts and 'e' will archive for them. This does rely on the user being able to learn something or you being able to get in there and create a custom binding to archive on press of delete though.

fake edit: This thread moves too fast and I'm getting dizzy trying to follow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
A pull request came in:

84,357 lines out
84,357 lines in

One of our devs got pulled up on the fact that his spacing was not matching up to the rest of the code his team is working on. He then proceeded to run a programme on the the entire apps code base to 'standardise the spacing' and wanted it to be reviewed and merged.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Here is something that should probably go in the OP, company_loyalty.txt

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

One of our social media people just had their Twitter account hacked. For the second time in 3 months. If I find out that it was a phishing attack someone is going to need to lose their job.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

chutwig posted:

Here's what you need to understand. There are a lot of people in this life who will quickly identify a person as the kind of person who is afraid to say no and will exploit that as much as they can for as long as they can. You are that person that's being walked all over and you're letting them do it.

You haven't been paid for services rendered and you have complete and total control over their website. Don't do anything for them, don't mail them any USB key, don't lift a finger except to do whatever you can to make sure they understand you have absolute control. They have no recourse. Renew the domain and make sure it's locked so that there's no way they can claim it, and then take the website down completely. that there is a page go up that explains how the business is trying to rort you for work already rendered.

This isn't about you being a dick, this is about responding to them being dicks. It's not good to be the instigating type, but you should respond to anyone being a dick to you in the same fashion.

ftfy

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Dear Google Apps users,

You currently will have a glitch where the favicon shows as a wrench rather than the standard envelope for the mail icon. It appears to be affecting a large number of Google Apps accounts, not just ours.

It is not, I repeat NOT, Google calling you a tool.

Regards,
toe shoes

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

GargleBlaster posted:

Pretty much my point of view. In a well run company, it's always a bad time, as they're always busy. The key is giving appropriate notice and as to the reason for it, who cares.

In a well run company it should never, excluding well planned major events (software launch, infrastructure upgrade etc) be so busy that it's a bad time. People should know that you're gone but it shouldn't be a burden on them.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Found out that our HR manager is a fan of eugenics. It's not for particular races though, for sex offenders and the mentally challenged. So it's OK. She's a mother so it's only right to want to do this to protect her children.

For all printers suck, no matter how hard Jira makes it to set up customer projects with unique workflows, none of it comes close to finding out the person in charge of Human Resources is actually that big on the 'human' part at all.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

^^ we use procurves here too, they're pretty awesome things when you need to do something.

HalloKitty posted:

Woah, woah, you can't actually do that, because you'll keep killing everybody, because the average, by definition, which is 100, will keep moving up as you kill off the less able. I'm sure he wouldn't advocate that exactly. Eugenics isn't actually a bad idea though, just one people find hard to sympathise with.

Any eugenics plan that doesn't have the person who suggested eugenics as a viable option in the list of those to cull is reserved for a special place in my heart below Jira*.

* we don't have printers but I hate administering the bloated crap that is our Jira with the passion that this thread has for printers. Feel free to swap as needed.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm kidding, we just try and bruteforce them using L0pthcrack. People seem almost desperate to email or tell me their passwords though.

Well played :golfclap:

Does anyone know of a video conferencing setup that plays well with Lifesize and is not Bluejeans? Looks like we need to get some VIP's to be able to remotely access our somewhat regular Lifesize meetings and have some extremely strong opposition to using Bluejeans.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

sfwarlock posted:

So it's written into the employee handbook at work that they can do random bag checks. That number came up, oh, about nine days ago. Apparently the drone who went through my laptop bag found "drug paraphernalia" and reported it.

They've been vacillating on what to do about it this long, apparently. You all get three guesses what the horrible sinful druggie gear they found was.

vvv Nope, not needles.
Also no vape, no pills, and... uh... Dave's not here, man.

Filter paper and you're a smoker.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Some VIP posted:

I would like to have the short side of my desk be against the window and
the long side be parallel with the door. Can we reconfigure the setup?

We have a facilities team that could do this. The guy could do it himself if he really cared.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

demonachizer posted:

It is HIPPA like a female hippo.

Recently an email went out to students about HIPAA training with the subject line :HIPPA & Infection Control Trainings

I feel like the IT office are the only people that consistently spell it correctly.

While I'm completely avoiding :thejoke: I've just learned that Hippa is a genus of decapod crustaceans in the family Hippidae, not the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Hippa is crabs and prawns (shrimps)

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

blackswordca posted:

The front end is fine, tickets can be submitted, nobody can log into the backend to pull tickets to work on them.

Say hello to getting yelled at for poor metrics then.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

We have a locally hosted Jira setup going on here. You can now get a hosted version if you want. Someone in our other office decided that rather than even trying to get stuff setup on our Jira to setup a hosted instance of it and tie it into what ever systems they need to use (mainly Salesforce).

All of this was done without any consultation with IT at all.

Now the bleed over has started. 6am Monday morning I received an email asking to be made an admin. 615 am a new email was sent out, cc'ing a few directors too, basically going from asking for project admin to what essentially amounts to full domain admin.

This is not going to end well.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

couldcareless posted:

Got the best ticket today from a very scared teacher that had tried to google "cuckold" for a class, but did a very poor spelling of it, yielding "cockhold."

Common sense tells you what her google results ended up being.

I'm not entirely convinced that 'cuckold' would have worked much better.

dictionary posted:

cuck•old (kŭkˈəld, ko͝okˈ-)
n. A man married to an unfaithful wife.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

blackswordca posted:

An email came in:

We just fired two more people and somehow I'm not one of them. Hazzah! We also have less people trying to break through Cryptolockers encryption now.

To be fair, if you did manage to break it that would have been pretty impressive.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

"Everything is broken, gah, you an't do anything right"

Looks to see what is broken, fixes it, doesn't have time to email saying things should be working now before

"Don't worry about it, it fixed itself"

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

KillHour posted:

Were you going to shoot the drive, or shoot at the drive? Please say the former. :allears:

Both :colbert:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Needy User posted:

Heya,

My home computer has packed it in and I'm wondering if there is a spare MacMini I could take home to use?

Let me know your thoughts.

I'm going to go with 'no' on that one.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Serious question: Unless you work for Bing or something, is there any reason to not use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

Come to Australia and have your local DNS requests go to America and back?

My ISP also provides a free *nix mirror as long as I'm using their DNS servers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

door.jar posted:

Is it bad that I made sure my email inbox was 97% full before I left for vacation?

Doubly so if you have Google Apps or some such where you've got 30G of space.

• Locked thread