Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
And here I am trying to get LibreOffice to work with Google Apps (because sometimes you need a word processor or spreadsheet that isn't completely crap or that has a hope in hell of not mangling that docx). They've literally just got someone working on having GDrive work well, will probably not suck in 5.1. We'll see, we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

mllaneza posted:

Or they could just move their office suite platform to… Google Apps. Those are competent office apps in there, and sharing is easier than on a file server with .docx files. On the down side, it's different.

That is our suite. But the Google Apps word processor and spreadsheet are IME really crappy if you want to do anything more than the very basics, and LO is ridiculously better with docx than GApps. Also, LO talks to GDrive directly, you don't have to mess about with the local sync client as you do with MS Office. Only annoying thing now is that two-factor is a PITA.

divabot fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 4, 2015

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Danith posted:

So what do you do when in your job description it has 'other duties as assigned' and your higher ups use that excuse to give you another job without any more money?
I'm still in the aix/oracle (wtf how did that happen) role with no raise or even title change.
I mean, it is kinda interesting working on a aix box and IBM's HMC but without a real aix admin and/or oracle person here to ask questions to it's hard to learn things about them, especially when there isn't even a test box up to try things on.
edit: luckily its hardly used anymore and just for a couple things. I'm the only one that logs directly on it. If things are going well I have a lot of downtime so I decided to get my MCSA. Been studying for a couple weeks and think I'm ready for at least the first 2 tests.

Yeah, basically you use it to pump up your CV, then circulate that amongst the pimps and see what attention it attracts you. Make sure you work on all that during office hours of course.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Fool posted:

I used to think that working in broadcasting would be fun. The technology seems interesting at least, but holy gently caress the people.

The SLAs. Oh God, the SLAs. $$$ per channel per minute, within 10 minutes of report, unless it wasn't your fault. Multiply by 16 "channels". It is 3am and the phone woke you. The big clock started ticking when you blearily answered "... Hello?"

Now I work supporting in-house bespoke web sites. IT'S PISS EASY relatively speaking.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ghostlight posted:

Your second mistake was thinking that general users know that you CAN hit Windows and type to find programs.

Also the Windows keypress isn't always sent over RDP from a Linux laptop. IME.

(WHO THE gently caress THOUGHT THE WINDOWS 8 PHONE-STYLE INTERFACE WAS A GOOD IDEA FOR WINDOWS 2012 SERVER. COS YOU KNOW, THE FIRST THING I THINK OF WHEN I'M GOING TO KICK THE MSSQL DATABASE IS HOW I'D DO DBA ON A PHONE. A PHONE IS THE OBVIOUS AND ELEGANT INTERFACE TO A DATABASE.)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

evol262 posted:

You should find a better rdp client.

rdesktop in Xubuntu 14.04. Eventually I was directed to the little double-chevron icon that brought up the XP-style menu. I should stop trying to use Windows remotely, that would work too. I'd be most pleased if we got off MSSQL and onto Postgres instead, we're in the middle of a similar move from Oracle to Postgres and EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS BETTER IN PRACTICE mostly because we never have to think about licensing.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Erwin posted:

I didn't imagine the venn diagram of "people who want to play solitaire" and "people who run software cracks" had any sort of overlap.

I'd have thought it was a circle. I remember seeing my sister's PC a few years ago and immediately, intuitively understanding how it could be that 25% to 50% of PCs were botnetted. I think my brother-in-law had never seen a piece of crapware he didn't like. The hard disk was full because the recycle bin had never been emptied. Toolbars. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE iMACS WERE MADE FOR. The only thing saving them was they were on dialup (in 2010). Though they've since got broadband, so my mother (who also got broadband for this one use case) could Skype her grandchildren.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

OwlFancier posted:

It makes a degree of sense if you have the capacity to singlehandedly wreck the company by annihilating everything on their servers.

It doesn't make sense because you picked the timing of going to a new job, and if you were going to sabotage everything on your way out the door you could have done it then.

I mean, I can see specific cases where someone might want to do that to prove their probity to someone else. But I'm not sure that counts as making sense.

Ozz81 posted:

Any competent company with good IT rules will change passwords & access the day anyone in IT leaves or gets fired. If they don't I have zero sympathy for them losing data because of a disgruntled, mistreated employee.

"You need to cut me off from a, b, c, d ..."

divabot fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 16, 2015

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

sfwarlock posted:

We just had someone notice - while doing something unrelated - that someone who's been gone for at least six months is still active in the system. We never got a term ticket, so shrug.

I wish we got term tickets. "Oh, X left six months ago didn't they? Guess they shouldn't have ssh access. Or rights on the company Github repos. Yeah, should probably get to that."

Javid posted:

I have confirmed through people still there that a company I left in 2013 has not changed any passwords or door codes since then, and hadn't since well before I started, having replaced someone who got tossed for sleeping on the job. I'm amazed nothing horrific has happened to them.

"security through tedium"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

FireSight posted:

Right before I came onboard, we moved from WebHelpdesk to CA Service Desk. This has been one persons pet project, and... so far it's been a nightmare. Between CA putting us on a beta version instead of the version they demo'd for us, and the HUGE limitations in customization and organization, and all the dropdowns having to query a server every time they want to populate...
We need to find a better solution. I've suggested ZenDesk, but I was told it's too expensive per-user.

How does Jira work for helpdesk ticketing? We use the bugtracker version for bugtracking/ops-ticketing and, in 15 years of using various bugtrackers and ticketing systems, it's the very first I've ever used that almost didn't completely suck maybe. There's apparently a version tweaked for service desks.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

deimos posted:

SFTP for the anachronistic people.

This will lead to them downloading and installing Filezilla, including the helpful Sourceforge-supplied malware that the Filezilla devs get a few pennies from. So you'll get to clean that up too.

No, they always go for Filezilla. No, never WinSCP, always the malwared one. No, I don't know why either.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Sirotan posted:

I get at least one "is the server down?" call a day.

"Was the server down last week?"

("Which server?" "Oh ... I'm not sure." "What was the problem?" "Oh, it was just slow." Thanks.)

Ozz81 posted:

Ask her in plain and easy terms - "do you expect the keys for your car to work with EVERY car identical to it? No, different keys get made because car manufacturers aren't stupid." How these people get into CFO roles, I have no idea, must be a lot of handjobs going around for someone that stupid to make it that high up.

Had a C-ish FO at the $MULTINATIONAL offshoot I worked at many years ago who literally didn't understand double-entry bookkeeping. He knew what it was, he just couldn't do it or work with it. No, I have no idea what he did instead or how he got away with this. He was declared redundant when the unit was shut down. (I escaped to the mothership. God it sucked.)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

neogeo0823 posted:

We don't? It's literally Gmail, dressed up to look like a company thing. Like, I have an email address that's firstinitiallastname@company.com, but it's all handled as Gmail.

You can connect to GMail from Thunderbird or any other ordinary email client using IMAP, then you can go wild.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

nielsm posted:

4 GB just so happens to be the largest number 32 bit can represent. So the free size is supposed to be represented as a 64 bit number.
However, if you take 48.3 GB represented as a 64 bit number, and chop off the high 32 bit, truncating it to a 32 bit number, you instead get a value that looks like 300 MB.

48.3 GB = 0x0000000C'12C00000 bytes
Truncate the upper 32 bit = 0x12C00000 bytes = 314572800 bytes = 300 MB

IOW. idiot programmers stuck in 1995.

:eyepop:

I think I have a new rule of software: "every bug is probably a 32-bit overflow"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

J posted:

Maybe this guy just understands that "people don't want effective troubleshooting they want theater" thing you mentioned in another post. Blow away all the documentation and then run around in full view of everyone taking down information on printers as frantically as possible to impress a stupid boss. :derp:

I frequently get "excellent comms, thank you" from the head of department when I write up a really good incident report and email it to all concerned ... particularly when I broke it myself. We do often get more stick for things that don't break than rapidly fixing things that do. Even my beep-boopy sysadmin job is about 50% public relations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Malek posted:

Okay so... I got an idea. If they call you in, are you going to have a contract base rate for them at about $100/hr.?

i thought he charged $150/hr 2hr min. $300/hr if it involves dealing with CE in any manner whatsoever.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Che Delilas posted:

nd you don't have to care about the possibility that some idiot is going to rip it all to shreds the second you get out the door.

In fact, if you're a contractor your stuff acquires a magical shield of durability protecting it from anyone ripping it out and replacing it. Because management paid good money for it. (As opposed to wages, which are apparently free.)

Varkk posted:

In one of these threads someone said in business you never say no, you just make the price for saying yes far too high.

This is totally the rule. Be prepared for them to call your bluff, of course.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Javid posted:

Apparently the screens frying in this exact manner is a common issue with this model.

The good thing about HP/Compaq or Dell laptops: the service manuals are available, accurate and useful. You can in fact work on these boxes!*

The bad thing: you will need to.

I was so, so glad that when HP bought Compaq they just adopted Compaq's entire PC line and threw theirs out the window. Got my finger near-ringbarked by loving HP Kayaks way too often (any times at all). Compaq OTOH showed the clear influence of DEC hardware engineers - opening a PC and seeing a "no screwdrivers needed" logo never got old.

* the only such boxes I found impossible to work on were the Dell netbooks (Mini 9, Mini 10 series). Those things were goddamn insane miracles of miniaturisation with lovely componentry. I realise the literal point of netbooks was to assemble the cheapest possible thing you could still call a "PC", but drat.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Segmentation Fault posted:

I can't speak for enterprise-level stuff since I have no experience there, but endpoint antivirus (i.e. what you're thinking of) is practically all the same. Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials is really all you need, anything else (especially a paid antivirus) is a waste. For more info check out this thread.

Yep. All antivirus is about as effective. All the researchers talk to each other freely (and hate the marketers). The difference is ease of use and administration, not effectiveness. Find one that's not a goddamn PITA and use that.

(and for file servers, Linux, Samba and ClamAV on the actual fileshares.)

Most malware protection is, believe it or not, built around the web, and the best way to prevent malware in my experience is to grab an ad blocker like uBlock Origin and a tracker blocker like Disconnect. Any browser worth using will have versions of these extensions available for them.

If you can deploy a Flash blocker and an ad blocker to all users, your life will be so much easier.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jeoh posted:

We've sold about 50 of them (Surface 3 Pro) and we haven't had any major issues. One locked up but a hard reset solved that problem.

I've heard occasional reports the Surface 4 Pro has trouble installing LibreOffice in Windows 10, though I can't find a solid bug report. (There's forum posts and a note at the end of a review of the thing.)

The wife is an artist and really really really wants a Surface as it comes highly recommended by other artists for digital painting.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
We Talked to a Witch Who Casts Viruses Out of Computers With Magic

snakes are physically manifesting in my home at this article

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I wrote this a while ago and just found it again. Need to record a version. (In particular, I look forward to the whiskey and cigarettes recording it will require.)

the keyboard has been drinking
my bluetooth set's asleep
the tech team went back to new york, and left me all alone
the server has to take a leak
have you noticed that the carpet needs a haircut?
and the monitor looks just like a prison break
and the telephone's out of cigarettes
as usual the mail server's on the make
and the keyboard has been drinking, heavily
and he's on the hard stuff tonight

and you can't find your netapp
even with the geiger counter
and i guarantee you that it will hate you
from the bottom of its raid
and all of your friends remind you
that you just can't get served without it

and the webmaster's blind in one eye
and he can't see out of the other
and the nt admin's got a hearing aid
and he showed up with his mother
and the keyboard has been drinking
without fear of contradiction i say

our father who art in heaven
hallowed be thy glass
thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on earth as it is in the office
give us this day our daily splash
forgive us our hangovers
as we forgive all those who continue to hangover against us
and lead us not into temptation
but deliver from evil and someone you must all ride home

because the keyboard has been drinking
and he's your friend not mine
because the keyboard has been drinking
and he's not my responsibility

the security guard's this sumo wrestler
kinda cream puff casper milquetoast
and the ceo's just a mental midget
with the i.q. of a fencepost
i'm going down, hang onto me, i'm going down
watch me skate across an acre of nylon axminster
i know i can do it, i'm in total control
and he's embarassing me
the keyboard has been drinking, he raided his mini bar

and the aerons are all on fire
and all the news sites were just fooling
and slashdot has retired
and i've got a feeling that the keyboard has been drinking
it's just a hunch
the keyboard has been drinking and he's going to lose his lunch
not me, not me
not me

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Antioch posted:

I got my god-son a Raspberry pi 2 and a book on Python for Kids for his 7th birthday. Told him if he could show me that he completed all the exercises in the book, I'd help him install Minecraft and Youtube and he'd have his own little computer.

What was the book? My daughter's 9 this year and is brilliant with Scratch (which I am a huge fan of, they learn it at school in the UK) and is entirely ready to advance to Python.

She's had her own computer since she was two (the joy of having a sysadmin father *) so I probably can't bribe her with a Pi ;-)

* “mummy, why are other people’s houses not full of tottering heaps of semi-obsolete kit?”
“because they’re filthy infidels who will be sacrificed to Roko’s basilisk first, darling”

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

go3 posted:

Its odd considering how many of you work in big business but you're forgetting just how many people are there to simply do whatever task of them is assigned with no questions asked. The last time one of these drones sought clarity on instructions they got yelled at.

business in general makes a lot more sense when you realise it's pretty much nothing to do with making a profit. Nobody cares about shareholder value, and the entire reason for everything that happens at work is ape tribal dominance hierarchies. This includes the people who supposedly do care about making a profit. Ahh it's wonderful stuff.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

a :yotj: came in ...

I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories in the coming weeks/months as I work my way up at my new company. How does working for IT in the financial industry compare to those of you in medical IT, as in: what is the worst part of IT in the financial industry? Just trying to get my expectations set properly.

* the stress never stops, and it's not even in the service of helping human lives
* you will be working with way too many utterly loathsome c*nts who desperately need to be strung up from a lamppost by their own entrails. Imagine an entire industry made of little baby Martin Shkrelis.
* the software will frequently be vertical-market abominations apparently built by monkeys whacking keyboards with dildos
* at least they're actually willing to spend money on good new kit if you can make an even slightly reasonable business case
* if you're any good, GODDAMN BUCKETS OF CASH, HOLY poo poo

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

DigitalRaven posted:

And way too much critical financial infrastructure handled by Excel macros. Excel '97.

This is true. Literally billions of dollars and pounds and euros are processed by VBA macros. That is the language the financial infrastructure of our civilisation is written in. I know someone who gets paid by dumptruck to write VBA, and he says that being very afraid is the correct response.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Knormal posted:

Well we're well into day three of our Oracle database being completely hosed up. It seems to work okay until a lot of people actually start using it, at which point it gobbles up all the RAM then crashes. And of course we don't have any kind of load tester to simulate that, so we keep cycling through sending out emails saying "Okay it seems to be working", everyone rushes to log back in, it crashes again, repeat. Our app admins have been in contact with Oracle, who as far as I can tell is just telling them "Idunno add more RAM?".

Also our password reset script isn't working in 11g for some reason and the dev seems to be ignoring us. So on top of everything else we have a growing list of people who have locked themselves out, and the only way to fix it is for the DBA to manually set a password through an SQL statement, which he's understandibly not a fan of doing.

I miss when we used Filemaker for everything.

We spent six months moving all our stuff to Postgres, and EVERYTHING IS JUST SO MUCH NICER. Mostly the fact that we don't have to think about licensing, so we can give every app its own PG pair and NOTHING HAS TO PLAY NICE WITH ANYTHING ELSE. Oracle support shops can tell which way the wind is blowing and offer similar support for PG these days. It's work and requires competent sysadmins on hand, but I most earnestly recommend never having to talk to Oracle ever again.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The machine runs fine, it's just an old XP shitbox.
Anyway I told them that it's a security nightmare and they told me that they'll just dispose of it.

Frankly, a lotta these shitboxes - particularly Pentium 4 - the customer will literally do better buying a new silent system of similar capacity, which will pay for itself in electricity in a matter of months.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
and LibreOffice has created excellent PDFs since it was OpenOffice.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I heard that there is a LibreOffice or open source version of O365 coming out soon. Has anyone messed around with it? How does it look?

LibreOffice Online. Still pretty alpha (fat and slow), but they're hard at work on getting it to usability.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

anthonypants posted:

You'd think people could wrap this around their head, but then they still want the best antivirus with the best heuristics and the best reviews and the best memory/cpu footprint, and they will link at all sorts of reviews and parrot numbers they don't understand to defend their choice. But if the best reason for antivirus is to fill in an auditor's checkbox or to catch the lowest of the low-hanging fruit, then all of those metrics are completely meaningless, and you should instead go with the least bad antivirus.

All antivirus are as good as each other at the task of dealing with malware, because all the researchers know each other and talk to each other. And hate marketing. Some are better for some threat this month, next month it'll be another one. (source: used to work at one.)

The important difference is all the crap on top and how much of a PITA it is to administer, so think in terms of that.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Crowley posted:

Some times I kinda sorta wish I didn't leave extensive documentation behind at my old job. Then I'd have an excuse to drop by for an hour now and then and shoot the poo poo.

..I still do, of course, but I don't really have any excuses.

HOWTO: write bad documentation that looks good

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

anthonypants posted:

Some marketing company redesigned our website but they're really dumb. My boss can't commit to a decision until he's spent hours asking stupid questions about a thing so we never decided on a hosting provider for our new website by the time we announced our rebranding last week. But he decided he doesn't need to worry about that because the marketing company is letting us host our website on their hostgator instance "temporarily".

We have one, it's not being used! I'm not crazy about sharing our server's ssl cert with a third-party but they could do worse things to gently caress with our server, and it's not a huge hassle to get one reissued.

If you control the web server at the other end of a FQDN, you can get a 90-day Let's Encrypt SSL cert for that FQDN for free!

(This assumes the slightest competence on the part of the marketing company of course.)

We use Let's Encrypt certs for pretty much everything now (even internal dev servers that aren't world-accessible, 'cos we control the DNS), especially since we have to support old versions of Android that our Comodo certs don't work for but our Let's Encrypt certs do. If someone wants a EV cert, we tell them it'll cost actual money and they usually demur.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

One of the things I absolutely hate that's sorta related is people that don't take care of their computers and keep putting in requests for something new. In the 3+ years I've been at my job I've had 2 computers - started with an old Optiplex tower and upgraded to a Latitude laptop after the tower's warranty expired. Never had any issues with either one but there are several people in sales or account management who have literally been through at least 3 computers in the last 18 months. Most of these computers were either less than a year old with fresh Windows installs, or brand new machines with fresh installs, and each had plenty of resources (i5/i7, minimum 8GB RAM, and either a 500GB hybrid drive or 256GB SSD). It's always pissing and moaning about slowness too, then you check their machine and it's riddled with stupid garbage like Spotify and Pandora, or toolbars hijacking the browsers, or it's full because they decided to link their stupid loving 47GB Dropbox account with all their personal dog/family/baby/flailing retard pictures and videos. These same people go through smartphones like loving Kleenex too and either have to have the latest and greatest because of their own bullshit vanity/ego problems, or because they're clumsy morons who keep breaking poo poo despite us telling them repeatedly to buy an Otterbox or something similar.
Is my hatred and loathing for sales and account management showing yet?

this might be (cough) me.

From an email to my boss's boss from the IT department:

quote:

Xxxxx has given me a laptop used by divabot and the below damaged has been reported on closer inspection.

12/05/2010: User reported hard disk failure. S/N: xxxxxxxx & Asset xxxx
Left side of casing cracked by at the fan.
Power inlet is damaged.
Casing to the left in front of keyboard and the front left corner by the microphone is cracked. Toshiba logo has been removed to the right of the touch pad.
Top of the screen casing is cracked.
Screw missing from right hinge.
Docking port is pushed into the motherboard.
Casing under fan is depressed and cracked.
“Open Rights Group” label has been stuck on top of the laptop.
Hard disk has failed. Hard disk was only replaced in November 2009.

The laptop was purchased last year and I’m not sure how the damaged was sustained but it is a worst case in comparison to Xxxxx Xxxxx. A hard drive failure was reported initially, but from inspection the overall condition of the laptop is poor for a model of this age.

I fear I must admit the complaint about the ORG sticker on the end as a “NOT ONLY THAT BUT” that got me giggling.

I then switched to a personal netbook, which I trashed. Then a company Toshiba again. These kept breaking keys, and the quickest thing to do each time was transplant the HD to a new one. Then I switched to a Lenovo X230 ... which then kept having the problem where the loose power connector spams the BIOS with ACPI events and randomly shuts down. Went through another three of those. Now on an X240, which is so far robust against, ah, me, though this horrible trackpad might make me smash it to bits with a toffee hammer. At which point they will give me a Toughbook with a Pentium III, probably.

pfeh. Buying hardware is wrong. That's what employers are for.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MF_James posted:

you... seriously use trackpads for work? Other than the fact that you are apparently some sort of ogre with 10 thumbs instead of fingers, have your work buy you a $5 mouse and save your loving sanity, trackpads are garbage and should only be used for stuff that takes <15 seconds.

I live on the laptop. I've tried a mouse with one and guess what, it's a pain in the arse.

What I want is one that isn't the loving ridiculous trackpad they put in the X240 (and replaced in the X250).

TheShazbot posted:

companies buy toshibas? Ugh.

They're made of cardboard painted silver, pretty much. The R630 was the worst of the lot.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

See, this to me is a bit excessive, especially the "bad hard drive" that turns out to be way more than that. I dunno, I'm the type that would institute a 3 strikes rulefor repeat offenders - basically cover damage the first couple times, then it's all on them to cover damages if they can't be careful. I'm betting a lot of people would treat their poo poo better if they knew they'd eventually be on the hook for stupid, avoidable repair work, especially the "I dunno what happened it just *stopped working* all of a sudden" assholes that have a laptop that looks like it was run over by a loving tank.

I'd say "stop giving me loving cardboard Toshibas, they're poo poo." The employee costs a lot more than their PC, so if you value the former than IT can go hang. It should be obvious with a moment's thought why your idea is silly and unworkable for anyone of sufficient status to get company equipment. Anyway, I'm the sysadmin. (But that's as distinct from IT, or I'd be ordering myself something shiny and indestructible.)

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I can't believe he removed the Toshiba sticker.

Of course! That was holding it together!

That's why I shifted to the Lenovo, hoping for an IBM-quality business brick built like a loving tank. Of course it turns out Lenovo suck too, but hey.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MJP posted:

[loving vendorware]

I used to work with that shite in the oil industry. There at least, most things used FlexLM. Which is horrible poo poo, but it's less horrible poo poo than the other horrible poo poo.

Thanks Ants posted:

The more an application costs, the shittier it is.

yep. I coined this as Diva's Law of Software in 2003. The prizewinner was a $10k/seat/year app for Unix/X11 - in its new 2003 edition - that refused to run in 24-bit, insisting you restart X in 8 bit before it would run. Five-dollar shareware in 1990 did better than this. Open source has a long way to go before it reaches the fit and finish of vertical market vendor software.

spog posted:

It's too bizarre to be made-up.
Not even Lewis Carol has that kind of imagination.

It's IT. Every crazy user tale is the truth, and you drat well know it is.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's for general documentation, why not just use Mediawiki?

MediaWiki is easy to set up but not with the visual editor, which is still complicated multi-service arse to set up.

The basic out of the box thing works pretty well if you think they'll cope with computer guacamole.

The main thing is that loving nobody will write in it unless they want to. So they have to see why this is a good idea.

Also, intranet wikis rapidly become the Obsolete Documentation Archaeological Funhouse.

I've administered Confluence and it's loving horrible - size of a planet and finicky; if you use it, buy it as a service from Atlassian. Also, users hate using it. Management love it, probably because it lets them do complicated ACLs.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The Worst Hold Music Ever

The original song they based it upon. It's called "Picture Perfect".

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

guppy posted:

We have a whole bunch of recent (purchased within the last few years) MFPs that poo poo the bed if you leave them set to auto-negotiate. I have no idea why since obviously the switch side is gigabit since this isn't 1998. Configuring the device for 100Mbit causes them to work. We have received no end of false reports from our helpdesk about network drops not working because they didn't bother to test them before blaming us.

I encourage you to manually configure the devices for specific speeds rather than the switch side, because those devices are definitely going to wind up moving and it's pretty much guaranteed no one is going to tell you they moved and no one is going to keep a record of what ports were manually set to lower speeds.

Sun kit talking to Cisco kit around late '90s to early 2000s was notorious for this. Basically each would go "no after you!" "no after you!" "no I insist!" etc. and end up at 10mbps. You had to nail it to 100mbps for it to work properly at all. Known bug for years, neither vendor ever bothered working out what was up, it was just one of those things you had to know how to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

xsf421 posted:

I (an American) got offered a job in Alice Springs. How can anyone look at it on a map and think "Yes, I'd like to live there."

I believe they put Alice Springs there because the train line went there. The train line went there because there was a telegraph station there. The telegraph station was there because there was a water hole there. The water hole has since dried up.

• Locked thread