Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

skipdogg posted:

I'm sure it's heavily influenced by high cost of living areas and and Gov contractors needing clearance but I don't think it's that far off. 70K for a VCP with an experienced resume is a loving joke though. Here in Texas a guy with 7+ years and a VCP should be pulling in 85 to 90 base salary. The MCSE pay rate is a joke, I don't know any strict Windows guy pulling in that kind of coin.

Now you do, I actually know a lot of Windows guys pulling in that or better.

We cheated though, we work for MS. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

skipdogg posted:

Doing what? I've worked with a few PFE's the last few years and once my kids are older I think I would definitely enjoy something like that. Going from company to company working on a specific project and then moving on to the next one. Seems like it would keep you interested, something new every week or two.

PFE -- been one for about 7 years. I did phone support before that. PFE is definitely better.

PFE = Premier Field Engineer, most of my engagements are for 4 days or less. Some are dedicated and work with 1-4 customers exclusively, and some are a combo between the transactional piece I do and a dedicated customer or two for about half of their time.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

skipdogg posted:

How's the compensation work? Are you just a flat salary, or do you need to bill your 40 hours against clients each week? I've worked directly with 2 PFE's in the last few years, one guy for SCCM was onsite at least 8 hours a day and really wanted to make sure we got all the time we were paying for, the other guy working on our AD Upgrade project was less interested in time and more making sure we got what we needed from him. I was fine with it, but he was maybe engaged with us 6 hours a day with a 90 minute lunch. If he was booking his hours against us that might have been a rough weekly paycheck for maybe 20 hours of actual time. If I'm prying, just say so, just curious.

Salary with a bonus structure that is NOT tied to any sort of sales or hourly goals. We have to log 40 hours week in some way, tasked at having about 70%+ as customer billable time. (that goal is per year, not week or month)

For me travel counts as part of my 40 a week, it can be real easy to hit 40 that way.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

Helushune posted:

Pray you never have to try and RMA something to them. Several of our Asus laptops broke while under warranty and it's been an absolute nightmare trying to get them RMA'ed. Asus seems to go out of their way to prevent you from doing so. We gave up and I'm currently using one as a Windows 8 client and trying to get it to play nice with our group policy settings.

Speaking from a consumer standpoint -- I have a ASUS G73, had an issue with it not charging, went on the website, shipped it in, and less than 10 days later had it back all happy and fixed. (MB swap I am sure since they also fixed the SD card slot which was my fault.)

so I'd say it varies a bit.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

"No one in their right mind should virtualize their monitoring for their environment"

Holy poo poo I never thought I could nerd rage this hard about something. This comes from one of the people ranking above me....

Holy schnikies. That is funny, I have customer's that have virtualized almost 100% of their infrastructure, and we have deliberately made it so all the system center stuff can run in VMs. The only things that shouldn't be virtualized these days are generally time sensitive stuff.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

feld posted:

and databases.

and any sensitive information you don't want stolen through a side-channel attack from another compromised VM on the same host.

specify databases... some shouldn't be virtualized, but most can be.

You should still be following proper security and not just throwing everything virtualized onto a single environment.

your argument on side channel attacks is really not useful as I could accomplish the same thing with a physical host that is compromised if I have connectivity to anything else in your environment.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

feld posted:

If you care about the integrity of this data you shouldn't virtualize it. It's extremely difficult to prove that a database's fsync request was honored all the way down to the platters.

don't use VMDK or VHD for the database drives, vHBA to SAN or RDM should get you what you need. Again, not all DBs should be virtualized, but a number of them can be. I'd still say most can be, but you have to design your environment for the requirements of the data.

feld posted:

What if it's not your private VM environment? Or what if you have VMs that can talk to the internet on the same physical host as ones that cannot? Your super_secret_stuff.txt is now vulnerable if one of the internet-facing machines gets compromised -- even if every ACL and firewall in the world is between them. If they were on different physical servers or different VM clusters it would be much better, but the number of deployments that look like this are rare.

So we basically agree then. I did say proper security.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

Helushune posted:

Windows 8 doesn't play nice with our required group policy settings (mostly just disabling UAC). That and I'm absolutely terrified of springing a new UI look on to most of my users who are terrified of computers to begin with.

Why the heck are you disabling UAC?

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

nitrogen posted:

Monday here is labor day, a holiday, so it really would be tuesday in USA.

umm, no the calendar doesn't change. 3 Calendar days is 3 days, had it said 3 business days it would be different.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

Lum posted:

People (hopefully) aren't working on Saturday or Sunday either, so by that definition 3 days would be Thursday.

I thought the whole point of the post that started this one was that the 3 day deadline was unrealistic. I was just trying to point out that it was even more unrealistic than first stated as the poster thought they had until tuesday.

The totally ridiculous part is that it says 3 Calendar days, 3 days on the calendar... not 3 working days, not 3 business days, so Monday. When most companies in the US will be closed. If it is not the US it is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

Bishyaler posted:

Do any of you push power settings with GPO? It's not something we do currently (our factory image comes preset to high performance), but seeing that Intel's focus is now on extremely power efficient processors I think there might be some benefit to be had there. What kind of battery, power cost savings, and problems have you experienced?

My company does this and it is bloody annoying, fortunately we also have an opt-out option for some of us.

In an office with desktop systems it can make a lot of sense, but exclude mobile employees.

From a mobile worker perspective, forcing the policy has caused my laptop to go to hibernate while I had background tasks running to generate certain reports.

• Locked thread