Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I hate convincing people that I need what I'm asking for.

Hey, I need you to send me the configs from Ohio.
You mean Colorado right? We're working on Colorado.
No I need the ones from Ohio so I can do Colorado correctly.
But we're working on Colorado.
Right, so send me the Ohio ones.

I'm going to check my email in five minutes, and I will not have ohio.txt or any approximation thereof. I will, however, have all the information I can handle about Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Science posted:

I just met a 23 year old with a PMP. I don't think I would ever trust a PM under the age of 40. Does that make me old-fashioned?
Especially since there's no legitimate way to meet the qualifications of PMP before, oh let's say, 30.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
God I hope nothing like that has ever actually happened, geez.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo it's a long weekend? :supaburn:
A good 2/3rds of our on-call rotation have unilaterally declared themselves to be "unreachable" this weekend. Should be good times, gooooood times.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I have become, if I'm being honest, pretty loving tired of people giving me deadlines when they have no sense of my workload.

HR just realized they don't have an I-9 on file for me (and I assume a bunch of other people). They have sent me an email this morning instructing me to return the attached I-9 within 3 calendar days. This means Tuesday. It is a 3 day weekend.

I just don't understand how after 14 months of not having an I-9, this person thinks 3 days is a reasonable period.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ruin a very nice 5-Series, then try to bully her. Way to send her into the holiday weekend. Oy.

nitrogen posted:

We promoted a support monkey to be a mysql DBA.

He just quit, on the spot, and I quote:

"I will not use or support a company or database that uses racist terminology like 'master' and 'slave.'"
How did I miss this, oh my god. :allears:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Apparently it is fantasy draft day.

Apparently this affects our ability to get poo poo done.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Potato Alley posted:

I mean, this sounds like it wasn't a virtual server. But that can't be what you're saying. Can it? A non high-performance machine with no real need to be physical would of course be created as a VM in this day and age. Right? Right??
You kidding, a few weeks ago I told my boss I was going to migrate WSUS to another server and he said if I wanted to pick up a used G5 or something I could.

Uh, no, I think I'll just make a VM for that service which uses no more than 50mb memory and a gig or two of hard drive space.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Caged posted:

Not error, entirely on purpose.
Yeah poo poo I could keep that up for months before basic human guilt and restlessness made me press the issue.

Hell I once stretched a one month rotation on night shift indefinitely so I could finish ST:TNG.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just spent more on replacement parts for a printer than it would have cost to buy the newer model of that printer because my boss did not want to "deal with it" - dealing with it apparently consisting of spending less money or having a newer printer.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

JohnnyCanuck posted:

If you want to help her out at all (because it sounds like she's getting a raw deal from her employers), you could at least call her by her preferred name and gendered pronouns.
At the risk of diminishing the importance of proper names and genders for trans people, this can't help but remind me of my time in the military. A person in our shop had a typical name - Will, Chad, Mike, something along those lines. But he had started to think D&D is real, so he came up with a ridiculous fantasy name and proclaimed that he was only to be called that name. And not in a "ha ha wouldn't this be funny" way, I mean as seriously as you have to be to tell other people that you wish to be referred to by another gender.

Our officer in charge got wind of it and lectured him on it, making sure to use his non-fantasy name about every fifth word, was probably the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Just got me thinking.

Well Chad, the reason it's important that we call you Chad, Chad is that Chad is the name on your legal documents, Chad.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Super Slash posted:

"My laptop is completely broken and doesn't turn on anymore, get me top of the line one today, I'll be coming to the office at 1:30pm"

Ugh what loving finishing school did people like this learn communication from? I hate people who talk like this.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Come on, if you don't have at least one text file named "fuckthisshit.txt" somewhere, you have anger issues.

And you've gotta use a path like that, god knows if you name something \\share\=OLD DON'T USE, that baby's getting used.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 30, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm very weak on my printing, but does that essentially mean you print to a nebulous location, then essentially choose which printer you want to use when you scan your RFID? That's very cool functionality, because I'm sure a lot of users have that "oh poo poo, wrong printer" moment in a typical shop.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm a little uneasy about that first ticket since it also wouldn't power off - that's how the singularity will begin.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We had a guy start on the helpdesk oh, bout 18 months ago, who in our very first conversation, in some horribly misguided attempt to demonstrate how technical he is and how much he hoped to join my department, told me that he could "probably do your job". I'm known to have a bit of a quick wit but I didn't and still don't know what the gently caress to say to that. I did internalize the fact that he will never, for any reason, be in my department though.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Casull posted:

I swear I vaguely remember you posting about this as well way back then. Jesus Christ has it already been 18 months since then?
Am I so memorable? :viggo:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Gwaihir posted:

Please advise is by far my least favorite thing to see in emails or tickets. I don't even really know why, it's just really loving obnoxious and poo poo the gently caress don't use that god damned phrase jesus christ.

justlysarcastic posted:

At my company, everyone uses "Please advise" for ... everything :( Everyone on my team all has to too, since it's the only thing everyone we deal with understands for whatever reason.
Holy f'n s'balls, I hate this f'n phrase.

Team, please advise. Team, please advise on alert received. Team, please advise.

Jesus christ dude.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Nerdrock posted:

I put "thoughts?" in for where your average person puts "please advise".
I love "thoughts?" Come work with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If you run hyper v all you do is install the OS and add the hyper v role, if you wanted more than that it'd be an esxi host.

• Locked thread