Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Sickening posted:

Whats that? Microsoft MDT 2012 will incorrectly deploy your image if it has the latest windows updates installed? Whats that? Its all because the default unattend.xml file is somehow incompatible with IE updates?

How the gently caress does this poo poo even happen? How could I have worked with MDT this long and not know this. How many admins out there are trying out MDT are thinking they are stupid because their new image takes a giant poo poo during deployment?

gently caress you Microsoft.

This is not the first time Microsoft forgot about a feature. Group policy on 2008 does not support document libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

After years of working here I have realized that nothing is done unless we don't have a choice. Servers don't get bought unless the old one dies first and when they do get bought they have the least amount of resources possible.

We have known about XP going out of support quite sometime now, and suddenly a month after the budget passes and we don't have the money to do the upgrade we need to do the upgrade. When I brought up how many computers we needed to replace each year depending on replacement cycle nobody gave a poo poo because they just hoped the computers would deage themselves over time. We have shitloads of 5+ years computers that are just never going to be replaced until 2 years from now and suddenly they will all need to be replaced immediately because nobody knows things get older as time passes.

We have been using the pile of poo poo known as eDirectory 6.5 and now that we get an application that authenticates to Active Directory we suddenly need to switch as fast as possible. Of course the ancient servers still work so they will all get Windows and won't be replaced unless they die.

The only proactive thing we do is get desktops, but only enough to pretend it makes a dent in the number of computers we have.

I've been applying to different places and I found a great one that I hope will get a callback on. I should have done this years ago but I think so low of myself I always thought I could not do anything about it. Now I am taking medication and I am in therapy (not because of the job?) and my self image is slightly improving. Sometimes I just want to quit this job and get it over with.

Right now I am waiting on an MCSA 2012 book and a CCENT book so I can get some more certs. The lack of protectiveness has rubbed off on me and it is time to change that.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 15, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Apparently our internal network is so bad that transferring files now brings down the network. One person was transferring files from one server to another and our connection goes down, I do the same thing an hour later and our connection goes down. Coincidence?

Edit: Here's the job I hope to get.
https://williamsonmedicalcenter.org/viewJob.php?page=446

Yaos fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 15, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Got another ping on my resume today. Exactly what I was doing at my last job, but 20% more than my current job. I got excited for a minute, but then they told me who it was for.

City of Detroit :(
I made my resume public for one day on Careerbuilder, two offers came in, both for Georgia. I live near Nashville, TN.

I wish it was the future, I want to get a call back on that job I applied to, they are still accepting applications so it may be a while.. I was so excited I did not fill out the references field, but I did submit my resume with it. :argh: 6 years of helpdesk/light networking/computer deployment/system administration. I need a better job.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 17, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Ghost Mutt posted:

A payroll software came in...
Let me guess, the program requires local admin to run.

Just think, one day we may be able to stop getting programs that require local admin to run. One day, far away.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

skipdogg posted:

poo poo pissing me off.... my dumbass didn't plug in 1 of my OOB management ports on my servers, and of course that server doesn't want to reboot properly after I installed some patches. Guess my dumb rear end is driving 75 miles each way tonight to fix it. No one to blame buy myself. Do always plug in your iLO cards people.
You're lucky, we will never setup the OOB ports. We actually had one setup but then the motherboard died and was replaced under warranty but the iDrac was not working so that was the end of that. What, call Dell about it, nope, can't do that!

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

Having to deal with printer hardware from time to time, we have a handful of Dell 5100 color laser printers, and the great thing about them is that you can change most parts with zero tools in less than 60 seconds. Transfer rollers, fusers, etc.
Dell is pretty good about making their machines as easy as possible to work in. At least for business computers you can take out everything except the motherboard with no tools pretty quick, even in their smallest form factors. I remember when taking a hard drive out could take 10 minutes trying to unscrew everything, then crawling around trying to find the screw I dropped. In a Dell I can switch out a hard drive in under a minute. Their support is great too, they don't make you redo anything you say you've already done.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

stevewm posted:

How does licensing work out in that scenario? I only bothered with imaging and sysprep once back around when XP was first released. (Setup a machine, sysprepped it, then copied the image to other machines. When booted each machine asked for the OEM key on the sticker and then booted to the desktop)
By the EULA imaging with an OEM image is not allowed, neither is using the OEM key, the one that's baked into every computer for that OEM (magical jellybean key finder and the Internet told me this, multiple unimaged computers from Dell had the same key). The legal side never told the technical side though as they made it very easy to do this. The OEM key requires that a SLIC certificate be installed in the OS which talks to the BIOS or some such that let's it know it's on an OEM computer and that the OS is licensed to be on the computer.

What this means is you can take an OEM install, grab an image, and put it on any licensed computer from the same OEM. If you try to go from a Dell to an HP with the same image it won't work as activation will fail due to having both the wrong key and the wrong SLIC certificate.

What we do is use a technet key (keep reading before you gasp) on a VMed copy of Windows 7. Once the image is ready I take a snapshot, put in the Dell OEM key and the SLIC certificate(two slmgr commands) and grab the image and then revert the snapshot. I use the technet key as the Dell OEM key only works on Dells and tells me Windows is not genuine in a VM.

The short answer is legally you're not supposed to do it but the people that made Windows made it super easy by using two slmgr commands. In other words, another Microsoft licensing gently caress up.

Edit:

stevewm posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen now you need to have a VLK/MAK key, which means buying OS licenses for computers that already come with OS licenses....
This is correct. Also, there's certs for Microsoft licensing, I'm not joking, that's how complicated this poo poo is.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam.aspx?id=70-671

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 18, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

stevewm posted:

Yeah, that would never fly in my company.. It was hard enough getting approval to replace most of these computers.
There's nothing stopping you from doing it though, MDT works perfectly fine this way. MDT and the EULA also disagree on what "media" is. I recall reading though The EULA for something Windows related and found that the EULA believes all media is physical while MDT calls any Windows files that allow you to install Windows media. If you follow the EULA to the letter you're not using physical media so it's allowed. I can't find it again but I remember it.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 18, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Next time the Sr idgit breaks something don't fix it. Files and folders mysteriously vanish? Guess they have to be reloaded from back up.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

We have a lovely fake database program from Corel called Paradox. We upgraded one computer to Win 7 and Paradox 11 and suddenly printing makes the printer spit out garbage, after re installing drivers and the program now the program crashes when it prints! Everybody else works okay.

gently caress printers.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Yesterday we ran out of space on a server. I comb through it and delete 16 GB of music and a few TV shows. Not pirated, just through iTunes. Why do people have iTunes? Well let me tell you a little story about local admin...

I've applied for a new job. It's in the same local government so it's low pay but I get more control. As far as I know they have no ticket system. I've looked at Spiceworks and it seems pretty cool, is it cool?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Our copiers/printers actually have animated-.gif-style instructions for clearing out jams. Users still can't figure them out.
We use Bizhubs from Konica-Minolta and they are great in addition to the animated instructions. Easy to use and they don't break. Ours are leased so if they do break somebody comes out and fixes them for us.

Earlier I posted about a lead tech position, I've gone through 2 interviews and as far as I know they were good. I've gotten a few references to tell them how good I am, including our 911 center. It's going to be hard work but I know I can do it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Start a new job starting on Monday. :yotj:

144% raise, still working on Linux, large company, and I am going to contract with my former current boss still. :woop:

My co-workers try to talk me out of accepting the job I applied for if they offer it. It will suck, I'll hate it, "don't buy fish at a steak house" as if government is known for its amazing IT work. It's also claimed the place I want to go to does not take IT seriously, but their infrastructure will be better than ours once they get finished. Verizon is even installing equipment in the building. They really don't want me to go.

We'll have to see if I get the job or not. I'm amped up for it, but I'm ready for disappointment. I'm excited because I won't just be a computer janitor any more. I know a lot but have not had the chance to get much experience. I've done a bit with AD and Server 2008, created a few production scripts with Powershell and Python. I've not had any experience with VMWare but I'm reading up on that. Too bad I don't have room anywhere for a VM lab.

Biggest problem is they don't actually have anything setup. No AD or equivalent, no ticket system, no nothing. Not sure if they even have their VMWare infrastructure going yet. Luckily the network admin (whom setup AD and VMWare at our location) will be helping getting everything going so whomever gets the job won't be on their own.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 6, 2014

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

My bosses were the ones that told us about the job and asked us if we wanted it. I was the only one to say yes; one person was brand new and the other person can barley handle what he's doing now. The place I'm going after is in the same organization I'm currently in but they have an internal IT department. Both of them are okay with me leaving, it's the rest of the department that does not want me to go, including the person that told me about the job and asked us if we wanted it. :confused: I think I'll miss the circus if I get the job.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 6, 2014

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I just got the call about an hour ago, I've got the lead tech job. My current job is good, so I hope I can keep up the track record with the new one. It will give me much needed experience in a lot of areas.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

Somewhere in either this thread or the other bitching thread, someone posted a link to a website that had approx 30 checklist-style questions about your IT environment. Things like "is your build process automated" and "do you have a ticketing system". Anyone else remember it? It would be really handy to give me political ammo right about now.
I'd love to have this too just as a list of things to get going at my new job. I thought of a lot of stuff, but can't think of it all. Today was my last day as just a computer janitor, Monday I'm also a systems janitor.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

At my new job I will apparently get to select what parts are going into our computers. I will certainly try to get SSDs in these bad boys. That speed boost makes me jump for joy, an image will get on them in no time.

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't see how drive lifetime matters in the decision, because you have backups anyway.

Right? :v:
If you have redirected folders users will save everything to the root of C. I'm not joking, we found people saving stuff to the root of C. :psyduck:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

hihifellow posted:

I get to decide the desktop and laptop models we purchase. The desktops start at $600 each; the ones with SSDs start at $1000 and will never be approved :smith:
I was thinking it would be expensive from OEMs, but not that expensive. :(

Yaos fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh God why are you administering DNS through the HOSTS file. WHY.

DNS servers are complicated. In fact servers in general are complicated.

• Locked thread