Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I see people all over the place complaining about the Facebook app's battery consumption, but I've never had any problems with it, neither on iPhone nor on Android. Granted, I'm not a super heavy FB user, but I do browse it daily, and use Messenger for various neighborhood/football club/parenting/whatever group messages.

Here's a screenshot I took just now of my phone, and I have both FB and Messenger installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I was pretty sure "acknowledging GBS exists" was a probatable offense in the more civilized parts of SA :v:

I peek in there from time to time, then run away screaming.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I put in a ticket:
Our web filter fell off the map at some point in the last few days and I can't get it back online.

It's the loving wild west around here.

I'm more surprised that actual places of work need a web filter in the first place.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

My phone is on DND from 11pm-6am weekdays now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You did it right.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm on vacation as of today. I told people last week. I told them yesterday. We have an MSP, who I also told twice.

Are you in the US. For some reason USians cant quite figure out that people go on vacation now and then - at least that's the impression I've been getting over the last decade or so.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

mllaneza posted:

LOL

Better sync your photos to a service or device you own.

meh. I do the same.

..but I sync the photos to both Google and (my private) OneDrive.
..and I'm the Exchange admin

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

A ticket came in: termination request for a user who died over the weekend. :(

An urgent ticket came in: Immediate termination of a specific middle manager who's been working hard at being the worst boss ever. Not "come in late"-kind of bos, but "Let's make people go home crying, and quit without a new job lined up"-kind.

Apparently a union rep had a meeting with HR and a director, and half an hour later his account* was locked out and his devices wiped. Hoo boy was he ever mad. :dance:

*Hooray for ADSF!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
SO.. we're at "Hightened Security" in a few days because, um.. "things" are expected to happen near city hall. Extra police posing as workers, extra security at doors, limited opening hours, staff encouraged to used banked hours for PTO if they feel like it. Fun times for all.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Why do you guys keep getting riled up over Linus? It's an entertainment channel. Obviously he's just goofing around.

Do I watch it? Hell yeah. I love to follow their oddball antics.

(I'm also a sucker for tech podcasts where the hosts just kick back and relax. I really dig The WAN Show, VergeCast, and Trends with Benefits. Please tell me if there are other shows like that)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
What's the word for something worse than a brain fart? Brain shart?

A BRAIN SHART CAME IN.
We're going to publish all employees' names, titles, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers online. No way that could ever go wrong!

I told my boss the second I get the order to execute that export my work cellphone will be turned off and left on the desk the second I'm off work.

It's common to use your private cellphone number for work, so you only have to carry one phone around, and work pays for the subscription, but with that great new idea our phone guy is preparing for 90% of users to reclaim their numbers and get a company issued "burner number" for work only. It's pretty sad when you have a system that gives great flexibility and happy employees, but what do you do when management seems to ignore all cries of alarm?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Under GDPR you can, because your name is still personal information. Our legal and HR department are both busy as hell chasing down and deleting personal information from places where it's been carelessly stored, and it's only 8 months until it starts getting enforced.

But again, that's EU law and I don't know how it works in the new world.

I read up on this, and it's flippin' GOLD! ..and here I was buried neck deep in GDPR already, and I missed that obvious point. I'll talk to our GDPR Project Manager about it.

SEKCobra posted:

I'm assuming those are all work details and not private email or phone, those can obviously be published. I don't think you can stop your company from publicly acknowledging that you work there under privacy laws. :v:

For "Common personal information" (I don't know the proper English name for it) consent is required, for example a ToS.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If that's the case then I'd think "changing the employee agreement to explicitly say the company is allowed to tell people you work for them" would be the next step here

That may happen, but you can't just change it for all current employees. You could ask current employees for their consent, but if people do not consent there's little that can be done about it - at least without being sued by the unions.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I can't decide if it's going to push Android adoption higher or if iPhone people are really that committed to their brand.

I mean realistically it's going to push the price of the iphone 6 and 7 down and people will buy more of those, I guess.

Oh please god no more Android phones in a business setting. :(

iPhones are not ideal (that would be Windows phones..) but at least an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone. With Android you'd have to hunt all over the place to find the right settings, and the random oddities would be multiplied with the amount of different devices and versions of Android.

At my last place of work we implemented a large(ish) number of iPhones at once, and got rid of the Androids. We had less tickets for 100 iPhones than we had for 10 Android phones.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

mewse posted:

Hoollly fuuuuuck! He kills 3 server motherboards with that heatsink and then he mounts the loving thing on the consumer motherboard :psypop:

This is exactly why I watch his videos. I love how he's gotten a whole business off the ground by basically loving around and making a fool of himself.

Their advice on consumer hardware is pretty solid, I guess, but the "pro" stuff? oh my!

Edit: Screw it. Here's an image macro of how I feel. I'm a fellow Young Person, yo!

Crowley fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 19, 2017

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Anyone here use Dropbox? Cause they just kicked off an incredibly confusing and pretentious redesign.
https://dropbox.design/

Luckily Dropbox is the anti EU GDPR beast, so that's been blocked on machines, webfilters, MDM systems, and firewalls.
..maybe we should redirect dropbox.com to https://[ORG]-my.sharepoint.com/

Also: Holy gently caress I hate those "scroll forever for no real reason" sites. :mad:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"Security alert! Rebooting during a scan STOPS the scan! I hope nobody makes the same mistake I did."

Just like how you get people to read your mail.

Get a few more people to read your mail: Mark the mail "High Priority"
Get most people to read your mail: Mark the mail "Low Priority"
Get everyone to read your mail: Send the mail, wait 10 seconds, then recall it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

Their only backup system was on-prem, and all users in the domain had full read-write access to it.

..and to think I got called "a bit paranoid" when I insisted on non-AD machines with separate random passwords for anything with delete/alter access. Backup and restore? Sure, but no saved account can modify or delete anything!

A PHONECALL CAME IN!

:downs: Our new wireless dental scanner isn't working. It can't see the network.
:geno: *looks at it* This scanner doesn't follow specs. It can only use 2.4 GHz, and we only use 5 GHz.
:downs: Can't you turn it on just where we will use it?
:geno: Sorry, but no. Policy since last year, as per [Central IT policy board] decision.
:downs: But..
:geno: No!
:downs: But the vendor doesn't support 5 GHz at all!
:geno: No!
:downs: C-LEVELS HEEELP!
Guess who said "Did you look at the policy?" and told them to pound sand.

They're working with the vendor to get 5 GHz added to the product, and I couldn't care less. We're not bending any rules and degrading the network when we finally have an awesome solution that kicks all kinds of rear end.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The echoing chorus of everyone else's wireless AP in the area interfering with eachother over a dozen channels.

Reduced noise was definitely a deciding factor. Microwave ovens, baby monitors, car remotes, garage openers, other APs, etc. 5 GHz also gives us better speeds. Plus, as far as I know (I didn't set it up) we can now use both transmitters in the APs for 5 GHz.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

32 meg, a good troll. Put nethack on it.

Oh hell yes.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Kurieg posted:

I only remember that particular quirk because during the code review my lead got confused at me just subtracting 31536000000 from a variable, so I added a definition in the header for msYear=365*24*60*60*1000; and used that instead.

Thankfully the language we use at my current job has a Date object with getYear and setYear methods.

You know, like sane people would use.

I'm soo happy with PowerShell.

$CutoffDate = (Get-Date).AddDays(-90)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Some goddamn idiot boss approved the purchase of a Mac. We don't support Macs.

Idiot-with-a-Mac creates a ticket to get shiny new iMac "Connected to the network".

I reply to ticket that as per [Company policy] we don't support Macs, and that he's welcome to use the BYOD WLAN and help himself. Then I close the ticket.

Today I see a new ticket in my queue. This time he's found a guide on how to join a Mac to Active Directory, and he's been trying to do that himself.. through the wired connection for his thin client, but he doesn't have "the password".

I reply that we still don't support Macs, and close the ticket. Then I write a mail to the network guys and my own boss informing them of the ticket. Network replies 20 seconds later that the network post has been closed for "security reasons due to suspicious network activity", and boss replies 10 minutes later by BCCing me in a letter to HR explaining that we've suspended his account due to breach of security protocols.

Idiot-with-a-Mac is fresh out of college, and still on his 3-month probationary period. I wonder if we'll get an account termination ticket tomorrow. (probably not. He'll likely get off with a note in his record and a stern talking to.)

Crowley fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 15, 2017

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Is the idiot boss going to be given a talked to as well? The employee did get approval.

Doubtfully. People can (and do) use their own devices all day long.. on the BYOD WiFi. The problems start when
1) They want assistance with their out-of-scope machines.
2) They try to attach them to anything but the BYOD net.

(Security on the BYOD network is handled by requiring all devices to be logged in by a person's National Online ID. Effectively tying the device to an identified person. That's also why we let the BYOD network be open to the public.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Jesus Mohammed Andersen I leave for a single day and you run amok with Mac frienzy?

To clarify
  • We're handling GDPR Article 9 data.
  • All users must attend a class on data security before they get their accounts.
  • All users sign off on the IT policies before their account is enabled.
  • We regularly send out mandatory mini-courses (2-3 minutes each) to keep people informed.

My boss went over the issue with the other boss. It turns out that the Mac was purchased only to edit [company related] video on. It was never the intention that it should replace the users' thin client.

In my professional experience It's pretty rare here in Denmark to outright fire someone for messing up like this. It wasn't malicious, he wasn't trying to commit a crime. He was just, well.. an idiot. If it happens again he'll probably get the boot, but for now I expect him to stay in the company and learn his lesson. With a bit of luck everyone else will learn from it too.

• Locked thread