Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Who do I have to kill at Intel to get this commercial off the air?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JLM5YullGo

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tell him he can take the $.25 cents they're worth out of your pay

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

An email came in a few days ago:

Client who likes me posted:

Dear Mustache Ride,

It seems that our Corporate IT Department, which is part of a large Energy Services Company that makes billions per year, went far over budget in Q4, and all of our Contractors are required to leave until January 1st. Please take your things and we'll see you in the new year.

I'm really really sorry

Now this isn't terribly bad, however my parent company has changed their processes completely since the last time I was stationed there (6 months ago). So in the past 2 days I've had to learn all of the processes again, including the new Review Platform software.

But since I'm a badass, I learned quickly and got up to speed with what they wanted. The result? I'm now working 12 hours a day with few breaks catching my parent company up on all of their leftover bullshit. And because this is still a new job, my pay and Christmas bonus was really really lovely.

I don't feel loved this Christmas.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

The only way I could see this happening is if it were muscle memory kicking in for a command you run alot and unthinkingly type it in.

But then how often do you run rm –fr /* anyway?

He probably forgot the '.' Which is why when you even think about attempting to rm -fr something you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the full goddamn path.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe the client contact has said how much they like you, and how they would hate to see you go.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This website can help

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Probably the future hope of one day having an official change in title or pay.

So naive.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Inform them of the great features of Nine or whatever the iPhone relevant app is that forces EAS to modify the security settings at an App level instead of a Device level.

I've been using Nine for a few months, and its great for ignoring EAS policies that disrupt MY device. Its also good so if my company decides to wipe my phone, it'll only wipe the app and leave all my data alone.

edit: vvv wait, are you actually praising Blackberry for something? :frogout:

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 6, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Moey posted:

Advising end users to skirt around any IT policy seems idiotic. If it is their device they are then accepting the company policy to access company resources. If you are savvy enough to do protect your data on your own by some means, more power to you, but you are then most likely breaking a company policy.

Its actually not skirting company policy. The app requires you to enter a 4 digit pin code to see any emails, but doesn't set that security policy at a Device Level. So the security policies are still in place for the company's data (email) but not for your personal stuff (your goddamn phone).

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Gerdalti posted:

We are being required by a client to have an SOC 2 Type 2 audit/certification done. I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions?

The terrible ticket part of this is:
"Can you have this done by next week?"

That is a terribly huge audit project that will take you months...months to complete using an outside firm.

My company has been prepping to do one for over 8 months now, but they are dragging their feet because its so drat expensive.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Gerdalti posted:

I think this is just a case of "too big for our britches". No one wanted to involve me in any of the actual discussions, and then went "Oh, I'm sure IT can get that done pretty quickly". This is not our typical client, and considering the cost of the SOC 2 Type 2 audit would far exceed (even at the low end) the money the client would pay us over a year, it seems like it's probably not the right choice business wise. All other companies involved how now stated that the requirements are too much and would be unprofitable to implement, which is exactly what I said.

That was our quandary too. We're a small 30 person eDiscovery/Forensics firm and we're trying to branch off into offering our services to larger corporations that require a SOC2 in order to host their data on our systems. Even though the cost is more than the potential business we have now, I keep trying to tell them that little icon on our website will bring so much business our way.

I thought I had the partners convinced, but they seem to be wavering.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sickening posted:

Anything that doesn't equal short term profits is hard to sell. I am stuck between thinking that this is just where business shifted to over the years or if its always been this way and I was just naive.

Yeah I dunno. But I got a job offer from a large corporation yesterday, so gently caress em.

:yotj:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Why are you dealing with a network printer if there is only one computer? Hook that poo poo up via USB and tell the office clowns to call their 7 year olds if they have trouble.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

President Ark posted:

Uhhhh I'm pretty sure if there's a dude with porn of underaged people on his machine you can just go straight to reporting it to the FBI.

Yeah, any time I find jailbait on a user profile, the first thing I do is call the FBI. I don't even stop by my manager's desk when I do, I just call the FBI and explain the case and what I found.

Of course, I do eDiscovery/Forensics for a Fortune 500, so usually when I'm given a heads up that they want me to look for something on a user profile, I expect it to be bad, but yeah, call the FBI next time.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

tehloki posted:

A dude accidentally formatted an external drive with some important mp4 files on it. He did a quick format, and immediately unplugged the drive and brought it to me after he realized his mistake.

What are the odds the files can be recovered?

Is there a free utility that is useful for this sort of thing and won't do the "i've found all your files, now it'll just be $80 to recover them" crap? Tried photorec already and it just gets stuck in a loop on the first 6 million sectors or so, rebuilding an mp4 file and deleting it over and over again.

Try FTK Imager. Its free, just add the device and you should be able to see deleted files in unallocted. Theres a guide here if you need help.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Another ticket came in, this one from the company lawyer:

quote:

Here is what I am looking for in my online data room:

Need to have

- The ability for me (or my proxy) to be able to easily upload documents
- The ability of third parties to get access on a password protected basis
- The ability for me to disable access of any party at any time
- The ability of third parties to access the documents, without knowing who else may have access to the data room at the same time
- The inability of any third party to administer the data room in any respect (unless I let them)
- Solution needs to be economical

Sure, any decent FTP server software will do this and they'll be really happy with how cheap

quote:

Nice to have

- An ability for me to track access/usage time by document
- An ability to dissable printing or downloading (online review only)
- An ability “watermark” documents if downloaded or printed (so if they get sent around, we can tell who did it)
Any recommendations? Sorry I'm leaning on you guys so much but there's a ton of new systems they need installed and I'm the big decision maker now.

Hahahaha, no. That's called a review platform. Call a company called Relativity and ask them to give you a quote. Be sure to video the lawyer's face when you tell him how much it costs to do those things alone, not to mention the team required to administer the drat thing.

Lawyers are funny.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 2, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

internet jerk posted:

What're you SOC types using for cases. JIRA? ArcSight's built in cases?

DFLabs here.

edit: Also: gently caress ArcSight

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 14, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

less than three posted:

I don't know what SOC means? But we have ArcSight and hate it.

Security Operations Center.

I think he's asking what case management software the IT Security team uses for Incident Response.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Galler posted:

ArcSight's case system is such a tacked on piece of poo poo. Glad I don't have to use it for that.

ArcSight's everything else is pretty slow an randomly locks up for a few seconds to a minute, but I'll shank anyone that tries to take it away from me at this point. As much as I love Unix tools I don't want to go back to greping through logs from a dozen different sources and correlate the results myself.
We're a Splunk hardmode shop, so combining logs is my bread and butter, but after I've built my triggering alerts I just have them feed directly into DFLabs and work the case that way. So it's more of an automated process rather than a repeated one.

We were talking with Netflix to get their automated FIDO system to handle the easy reimage stuff like Malware callbacks, but they basically shut down their ITSec group so we're going to have to build it ourselves now.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

An email came in at 8:30 this morning:

quote: