Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

So I'm the new IT department

A blank slate awaits

Routers & switches

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Volmarias posted:

You're making me hungry for spaghetti!

If you can guess what's behind that sea of ethernet (gimme a number!), I'll cook you some

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I was hoping someone would spot the chair loop as it makes me laugh (albeit only when I'm at home and it's a weekend at least). Only a set amount of people can get into this room; I took a director in, and obviously he didn't even clock the jungle of RJ45.

Behind it is a Mitel telephony server - a few routers, a hardware firewall, and switches. In the NEXT rack, is some more switches... Two switches were cabled to eachother, and nothing else. I flipped 'em off for fun. Obviously nothing happened. The guy who did this got promoted (kicked upstairs, I guess) and rightfully avoids my glares.

I'm afraid to even touch the thing - I think it is sentient.

I started to diagram out how I WANTED it to look in an ideal world, sketched out the routers and switches, and gave up because I'll need a loving spirograph for the cables.

How the gently caress am I meant to do anything with that? I'll be giving up weekends soon I think, sigh.

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 13, 2015

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd normally agree with you, but the snagless cables you can get now are much better than the traditional impossible to remove booted versions

Predictably, the cables already in are the horrific booted kind. I loathe them. Wacky to think one of my first big orders is gonna be dozens and dozens of snagless RJ45s.

The dude also bought them for our IP phones, God knows why. Perhaps he did it on a dare to be the worst at IT ever. But yeah any time I need to replace a phone it's a pain in the rear end

Anyway thanks for the support, I like Kain's structured approach and I'll probably do it like that some weekend as I plan to play hardball and get fridays off so I can work saturdays or somethin'

And the domain controller sits on a copy of Windows Server 2012 that complains about validation and threatens to reboot sporadically. Uhhh...Hey, there's more. So much more. I'll spread it out for you all though

After I get a friggin' ticket system set up.. although there are upsides to not having tickets to trap you!

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 14, 2015

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Today's problem: the DC site name is default-site-name

Not terrible, but from the same jerk who gave us Cablegate

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Our domain controller, AD, main print server etc (pretty much everything) is on a server running Windows 2012 EVALUATION and it's started making noises about needing validation.

My presumably crackhead predecessor seems to have semi-successfully botched the "restart every hour" thing with some attempted reg hack, though it sometimes reboots as I found out when our telephony, connection, phone database, call recording suite, all vanished for a little while creating absolute mayhmem. So now I'm checking the drat server every couple hours. It's kind of become a top priority.

Nobody can find the licensing information. I've been sworn to that it isn't a bent copy of Windows Server, which I suggested as I was fed up and wanting to push some buttons. This from the same guy behind Cablegate. Uh.

OK, so how to fix this thing. A legit serial might be a start.

What I've read up suggests either 1) make a copy running a legit Windows Server install, which if I'm going to do I may as well just go the whole hog and rip it up and start again with a new box I've configured myself as there are some things I'd do differently anyway (EG I'd use logic, the phone call recording system doesn't work as it points at the server it's running on rather than the Mitel server and I even got the developers on the phone who basically told me it's nonsensical), or 2) It's probably possible albeit tedious to take this server down to upgrade in the way you'd expect, but MS's official upgrade steps are pessimistic about me not having to do step 1).

Fun fact: This guy's Amazon doubles as "the company's" Amazon login so I have access. I log in and in the basket is... (bear in mind this guy has no daughters) - well, I wonder what HIS weekends consist of?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

That guy and my nemesis should get together, between the wigs and asses of a RealDoll they can probably build something to have a threesome with

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

So in my workplace one thing we haven't bothered with is asset management to any degree

I'm just gonna buy a kit and label the poo poo out of everything at a weekend. I've used lovely peelable stickers in the past

Can anyone recommend the software end (I'll Excel it if need be but there must be a better solution)?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I presume I have a budget, I use presume as money is allocated based on how well your need comes across. Finance fortunately see worth in asset tracking. It isn't even my need, it predates me.

I've got spice works and it's good but seems designed for one super admin. Reminds me of Lansweeper. Which I'd love.

I ideally want something accessible and understandable by multiple admins. I want to build something then not own it exclusively. It aint my baby. But I can make it my baby I guess. Previous attempts at asset management equate to a rolodex

I also suspect whatever I come up with will be hijacked for none IT assets and I'd draw the line there. Another reason I don't like spice works, it seems too IT for me to palm off.

At least an Excel sheet doesn't automatically scream IT. (sometimes!)

I dunno. It's weird. I get asked as a computerised version would be good. The directives end there. I have freedom so may as well do it right, and good.

That way if I'm stuck with it, so what? It's mine anyway!

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Hi thread

I might be the only poster in this thread who doesn't get tickets coming in.

My place don't even KNOW what a ticket is. I'm the first, I'm Adam, with no Eve slut tempting me, sadly. With a lovely server room with The Blob in ethernet form awaiting me to thrust an arm up it.

But yeah I want to put a helpdesk or ticket system in, cause I have a budget!

Recommendations? It really is a blank slate, go nuts, what's your DREAM ticket system?! Oh btw under $400 for 100~ users. Yeah I'm not talking full blown Remedy here (and yeah this amount of users is sweet)

Some requirements.

- Logs via email (bogstandard surely)
- Multiple user accounts
- I'd like it to asset manage ideally via AD
- Not monstrously deep as basically I'm the entire IT department with no manager and there isn't exactly a need for loads of modules, disciplines, unused features.

I have Spiceworks and it's neat but c'mon, a budget.

As it stands, I don't have tickets coming in, I have awkward bumbling verbal requests coming at (me). I enjoy chaos but not when they expect me to fix the fusebox when the lights go out; take down desk dividers; check the coffee machine; other stuff, I want to lay the groundwork for a . .. gasp, support scope!

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 1, 2015

• Locked thread