Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Does he use Gimp?

No, but he still uses two IDE hard drives, one cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Okay. I know a few terms from fetish subculture but this one went way over my head. You win.

It's not a fetish thing. Lync 2013 can never be Safe, Sane & Consensual.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

I can't work without getting dressed, I don't know how you guys do it.

Stay in bed answering emails on your phone until such time as the phone rings and you actually have to do some work.

Get the actual work done in the early evening when your brain is at its most functional anyway.

So glad none of my kit has cameras* as I'm another for working in her nightie and my GF does tend to wander in with nothing on. :)

*Work laptop does, but it's permanently in its docking station with the lid closed

Lum fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 7, 2014

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

spog posted:

I think I have seen this video before.

Does the delivery guy usually turn up with a 'big package' for you?

Not often, though I did get one of those free Merakis the other day.

(Which I'm now paying for, due to 9AM sales calls)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

seadweller posted:

They any good? I did the webinar and they didn't send it as someone else at my company had already claimed one - nice of them to let me sit through the talk and get all excited though.

Pretty decent, though not suited to what I want to do in work, so it's sitting in my living room due to having a better wireless antenna than the ISP-provided shitbox.

I might piss about with guest networks or whatever, but once the licence expires I'm just gonna throw OpenWRT on it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

m.hache posted:

That should be the day where you make an anonymous coffee donation to the office.

Just to watch the world burn.

5lb bag of sugar free gummi bears, surely.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Garrand posted:

In that case

I'm just tired of people from billing and sales that just straight up won't do their jobs. I know the pay all around sucks and that they get dinged for credits / disconnects,
Also getting straight up hung on by reps when you tell them they need to reschedule an install or someone wants to cancel their account.

To be fair, if your sales people get their pay dinged for disconnecting a customer, and you are handing them a call with someone who wants to disconnect, you may as well be handing them a plate of dogshit. I'm really not surprised they want to hang up on you.

This isn't your fault, but your company's system is very very broken.

Give them a bonus for talking someone out of disconnecting and I guarantee they'll start wanting to take those calls.
Better option :yotj:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Isn't this the definition of the retentions department?

e: Nevermind, I guess the "bonus" there is "continued employment".

The way I interpreted it is the sales people also get to do disconnects, but whoever actually does the disconnection is the one who gets dinged.

So basically you end up with a situation akin to Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck passing a live hand grenade to each other.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

This one isn't so bad so long as it's handled reasonably.

My place gives me 25 days off, and has a pretty clear clause in the contract that of those 25 days, the 3 days between xmas and new year MUST be taken due to "operational reasons" basically "the majority of folk would take them off anyway and the company can't function". This is made clear from day 1, is automatically deducted from your holiday entitlement so you never even see it from the system and generally doesn't cause a fuss.

Springing it on people 2 weeks before xmas though, gently caress that, if they'd said it applied as of next year it would've been fine.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I've always found this rather unfair. If the company isn't open, and you can't go in, you shouldn't be made to take holiday.

What about if I phrase the T&Cs this way?

22 days holiday a year, plus all public holidays, plus the period from 27th-31st December.

That's basically how it was presented to me at the interview, the fact that for admin purposes it's counted as 25 days holiday + public holidays is just paperwork. They could do it as "33 days holiday a year, but has to be all the public holidays plus the period between xmas and new year", it would still be the same end result.

Springing it on someone mid-December is lovely, but the policy really isn't that bad. The alternative would be keeping the company open during those times and so refusing holiday approval to some people who actually wanted that time off due to needing a certain number of people in for operational or H&S reasons.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Customer called at 5:01pm then complained because I wanted to faff with the car's bluetooth handsfree before helping.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Tonight I get to find out if I can install Exchange 2010 SP3 without domain credentials :toot:

Doesn't Exchange insist on modifying your AD schema?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I wish S4B/Lync client wasn't such a performance pig. Anytime I come back to my machine after lunch/a break more than 15 minutes long it will be "Not Responding" for a good 10 seconds after unlocking my PC. This seems to be pretty common.

I've given up on the Lync client, and just started using the Office Communicator plugin for Pidgin.

Yes it's a huge faff to set up (have to change the user agent string to spoof the official client, and figure out all the other options) but once it's up and running it works well. No-longer does it randomly eat conversations after signing into the work VPN, for example.

The main reason to use it though, is because I full time work from home, and Pidgin lets you disable the feature where it marks you as away if your screen locks! Combine with auto-login and that BIOS option to schedule a power on at 9AM, then stay in bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

That would work for chat but we are also using it for telephony. I'm a little stuck.

I have the android client installed which should in theory handle the calls. Also Touchdown for exchange email. Both set to wake me up if anything happens.

• Locked thread