Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Of course that doesn't help when the colo customer below you comes in and rips all the cables out of your servers, removes them from the racks and just tosses them on the floor because "it was easier for me to work on my server."

I can't stop reading this. I sort of want to photoshop it on top of a motivation scene like those demotivator posters. This the best thing I've read in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

incoherent posted:

Your loving devs are lazy as all hell.

This pattern of test servers becoming production is the green-blue pattern and is actually a great pattern. The idea is that you constantly deploy to test throughout preparing for a release, then clone the data out of production for the migration and switch the LB over to the previous test environment. You wait a few days in case of failures (failover is just changing the loadbalancer back to the previous cluster and syncing data).

Once deployed for a while you then reinstall all the previous production machines and they become the test boxes for the next set of deployments. This works best if you're doing major releases at least once a month so the set of machines constantly cycle. It makes it very easy to stage and release major architectural changes with a safety net.

Hell, it's even in the http://martinfowler.com/books/continuousDelivery.html book.

• Locked thread