Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

GreenNight posted:

Oh right ESX. Have any of you use Jabber? We're trying to decide between Jabber and Lync. We get both with our licensing.

...we bought Trillian for Business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Belial42 posted:

A ticket came in.

I am so glad I am no where near this issue.

Somehow, it's blackswordca's fault.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in!

quote:

trying to access majic reports and recieving Error

No screenshots, no error message, not even the names of the reports they're trying to access.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
An L1 guy came around!

Management sent the L1 guys around to remove local Admin rights to our machines today. Whatever they did, they screwed up on my laptop. Even after a few reboots - just to be sure - I still have full rights to my local machine.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in. The Jr techs all had another meeting today.

They discussed psychometrics and personality assessment tests, then proceeded to discover their personality colour..

:stare:

Dude, with the people you're working for, I fully expect to hear this story next week:

"So, we're not saying you have to study Scientology to advance in the company, but we feel that..."

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

JazzmasterCurious posted:

And God help you if you forget or don't know that the person is a doctor. I've gotten so many "It's Herr DOKTOR Mustermann, and don't you forget that!!!1!!"

Ugh, one of my clients is a school board in the Atlanta area. A few if the principals have their doctorate in education, and lord help you if you don't refer to them as DOCTOR whoever.

I've never seen that reaction in Canada.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Daylen Drazzi posted:

He's actually a civilian contractor just like me, but what generally happens is that since we fall under military oversight we also follow military guidelines and decisions. In this particular case our commanding officer decided that there was no way in hell he was going to call the individual Vanessa until or unless he undergoes the gender reassignment surgery. I'm not sure if the individual got a legal name change or not, but I do know that no one calls him Vanessa.

If you want to help her out at all (because it sounds like she's getting a raw deal from her employers), you could at least call her by her preferred name and gendered pronouns.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

I'm working out of the main office instead of the client site this week. Hazzah.

Not a tech issue, but still a worrying one. I got here this morning and there was no workstation for me, they had given away my old desktop I used before being transferred to the client site full time. I found out that sometime in the last six months they started making all new employees buy their workstations. They tried to push that on me, I told them it wasn't going to happen.

Jesus.
Wept.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Caged posted:

The year of 'Be Your Own Defence Attorney' was rough on the C-levels.

Hahahaha you think these changes impact the C-levels!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

CFO posted:

TO: Organization
SUBJECT: Bathroom Use

There really is no delicate way to put this; therefore, I will just address the issue.

We ask that everyone refrain from using the bathroom when doing “#2”.

As you can all well understand, we just want to avoid any unpleasantness should we have guests visiting the Office.

Thank you!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Even better is the amount of days per month we get guests visiting the office:

0 to 0.5

Also,

CFO posted:

me posted:

Can I still go #3 in there?
I don’t even want to know what that is.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket didn't come in!

We're doing dev work on a Change Management project for The Most Annoying Client™. I finished writing the last automation piece by 11:30 this morning, and come noon, told the internal tester at the client to go nuts.

We had a status update meeting at 3:30. Not only are my boss and VP on the line (it's a big client), but their CTO and VP of their helpdesk. The internal tester immediately throws me under the bus. This isn't working! That isn't working! How can he get anything done with all of these issues??!?

Except he didn't let us know about any of these issues. He just logged them on their internal Project site, which I don't have access to.

After the call was over, we scheduled a remote session. Turns out the automation service was turned off. My bad, I hadn't switched it on after I was done my work this morning. But it's the easiest thing in the world to check and turn it on or off. It's step one in troubleshooting any automation issues with this product!

If he'd actually called or emailed us, he could have been up and running for testing right away. Instead, he buries the issue in their issue log and waits for us to check it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oh god, this is the week for blackswordca's meeting with management, isn't it? :ohdear:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
It's not quite :yotj: because I'm staying with the same company, but the prez wants me to transition to Helldesk Manager from my current consultant position. He wants me to take over as "team lead" during the transition period, and they've drawn up a new letter of offer/contract - but only for the team lead position. Actual factual management comes later, apparently.

I'm having someone who knows Canadian contract law take a look at the new employment contract, and then I'm gonna go negotiate my salary, and also ask for some additional vacation time.

Wish me luck, guys!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Well, I did it. I'm now the new helldesk team lead.
" :yotj: "

...what have I done?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

dogstile posted:

Did you get a big enough pay rise to compensate for all the extra whisky you'll be drinking?
Oh yeah.

Sickening posted:

Are you the team lead or the supervisor? Being the top helldesk person is rarely ever a thing to be excited about. Usually means you have ascended the rank of "most overqualified".

Being the supervisor on the other hand is a chance for managment experience which could come in handy if you wanted to go down the shameless, soulless path of IT leadership.
Supervisor. I should land the actual "manager" title in 6-8 months if they like what I've done with the team.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

The Cubelodyte posted:

I just got promoted to supervisor! Apparently it happened three weeks ago and my boss just got around to telling me. We're pretty efficient around here sometimes.

Haha! Welcome to the club, brother.

...Hope you have a lot of whiskey.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in, nobody at the site that the Sr resubnetted can get onto the wireless

After finding the IP for the WAP which he didn't document, it took me a while to log in. From what I can tell, he logged in to change the management password and the password to connect to the wireless, but didn't update any DNS information on the switch itself. So if someone could connect, it wouldn't work.

So how is it ALL YOUR FAULT this time?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

tomapot posted:

A new tool came in: our company is replacing HP Service Manager with ServiceNow for service management (tickets, release, assets, etc). Can't be worse than Service Mangler, could it ?

Hope you don't need any custom fields, workflow, or anything that doesn't come out-of-the-box!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Widestancer posted:

I wish that it had been an April Fool's joke, but alas, no. We seriously thought it was until we couldn't use our old ticketing system anymore...yes. The "immediate transition" has hit us.

I work at a public university and we have recently transitioned to a new ticketing system called "Cherwell Service Management". This system is not compatible with our existing security system (requiring that all technician authentication checkouts be done via the previously forbidden "backdoor" method of simply specifying the incident number as 0), has an inability to tailor email notifications to individual technicians (either technicians will receive email alerts from EVERY incident that comes through or NONE, there is no middle ground beyond each technician creating special exchange rules for themselves), relies on pre-set SLA's that make zero sense in a massive enterprise environment like the one we work in and, to top it all off, works license by license on each physical install. This means that none of our student workers can, say, log in real fast and update a work order on the fly or set a ticket to pending or whatever.

There is a browser client, but since it works on our login credentials we cannot use the browser client when we are logged in with administrative credentials to do...practically anything that a client can't do themselves or with guidance from our helpdesk crew. This gets even more ridiculous when we have to remote in to help them and end up elevating privileges.

The upside to all of that is that apparently we have now found a use for the pile of ancient Dell netbooks that were apparently given to our university some time ago which have been collecting dust in asset management.

To anyone else out there who might be using this ticketing system:

Is this general shoddiness of Cherwell something unique to our install, or is it just bad in general?

I did a fairly comprehensive review of Cherwell not too long ago, and it sounds like whoever installed it left it horribly configured. From what I recall, it's really easily modified by a Cherwell system admin to do a lot of what you're looking for. Also, I think there's a mobile app for smartphone/tablet access?

In the meantime, I get around the browser issue in Service Desk Express by launching the browser using "Run As..." and putting in my network credentials. I just have to remember to close the browser window after I'm done. It should work the same in Cherwell if it's using Windows Integrated Authentication.

EDIT: Cherwell Mobile App

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

So a wage review came in.

No increase as expected. I fall below expectations.

This is my surprised face.

"Please provide examples of when I fell below expectations."

"Please provide examples of your expectations."

"Please find the word 'expectations' in a dictionary, then read the definition. I'll wait here."

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A company in Colorado bought PS from us to assist them in migrating several ticketing systems over to Remedy ITSM. I went onsite to do process documentation. Keep in mind that I:

a) am not employed by the Colorado company. My company pays my salary and benefits and all that jazz; and
b) am a Canadian national. Drug screenings and the like are against the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, except in extremely limited circumstances here.

In order for me to be able to come onsite, they said they needed the following things from me:

1) A drug test, completed by their clinic in Colorado
2) A traffic accident history for the last three years
3) A criminal records check
4) A background check (where have you lived, name some references, etc.)
5) A GODDAMN CREDIT CHECK
6) A nondisclosure agreement. My company has already signed a binding NDA, but apparently I had to complete one as well. Just in case!

I fought like hell against all of this crap, but got overruled. So now some random American company has all kinds of my personal info, and actually knows more about my background than my actual employer.

Also, when I went for my drug screening, the nice technician who facilitated my cup-peeing explained that she sees more and more companies requiring cup-pee in order to get - or remain - employed. When I told her that, in Canada, it's seen as an exteme invasion of privacy that is restricted to employees who are machine operators or directly invoved in public safety, she was shocked! She told me that (at least in her area), even WalMart is screening their managers now.

What the hell, America? You used to be cool.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

deimos posted:

You can't replace biometrics when they get compromised.

...YET

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

larchesdanrew posted:

I keep seeing the word biometric, and it's just reminding me that our biometric insurance physicals are coming up. The CEO is on a huge health kick all of a sudden, and we used to be able to just get a physical from the doctor or clinic of our choice. This year, they're bringing in people to do the physicals here. Apparently they'll be testing our BMI, cholesterol, blood-glucose, and :siren:tobacco and drug usage:siren:. Drug users are terminated, tobacco users have to pay double insurance premiums. Hopefully if I quit smoking literally today, it'll be cleared out of my system by the end of July and I'll still be able to afford my health insurance :smith:

What.
The.
gently caress.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
...about why a SQL query was returning weird data!

quote:

SELECT * FROM user.Devices WHERE ( (Devices.IPAddress >N'10.202.0.1') AND (Devices.IPAddress <N'10.202.0.20') ) ORDER BY Devices.DeviceName ASC

The problem stems that SQL isn’t returning the expected results, probably because the IP Address part is being treated as text.
:downs:

(Emphasis mine)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Potato Alley posted:

Sounds like you're volunteering. Also can you update the org chart while you're at it?

However, nobody is ever allowed to see the org chart.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I was just informed that my dept is now responsible for updating all of our MS certificates, one-by-one using digicert, and it needs to be done yesterday. Thousands of hosts. There has got to be a better way than by RDPing to each one and using this here digicert utility, but I'll be damned if I know how.

...set fire to the building?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

So a two week notice was given in.

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I didnt accept his offer.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

AND LO IT HAS COME TO PASS

Congrats, man! That rocks!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Malkar posted:

How long before this job somehow turns out to be worse?

Hahaha, that's impossible!

...we just made it worse, didn't we? :ohdear:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

AlternateAccount posted:

Would this be a good thread to ask about the software you all use for your tickets to come in?

Our company uses ServiceNow(moved from Remedy, which wasn't loved by anyone) for both internal and external issues, and external stuff is probably 99.9% of the volume. There are separate teams to handle each, and since ServiceNow is kind of a clunky ugly monster, I'd like to make the case for moving Internal Help Desk over to a different and wholly separate system.

Right now I am kind of leaning toward Zendesk or Mojo, but I'd appreciate any advise or anecdotes.

Cherwell is pretty drat good, if you bother to get it properly configured.

BMC just pushed out FootPrints v12 and... well, wait for the first SP, I'd say.

Internally, we're still using Service Desk Express (Magic), but we're going Remedy this year.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

RadicalR posted:

:stare: You don't happen to work for a small federal agency, do you?

Nope. Little consulting firm out of Ottawa, though!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

the spyder posted:

My company is currently 60% through being acquired by a larger company. I have been idled, budget frozen, and minimal communication from my manager. I swear I'm in high school still due to the level of drama that's going on. Employees are leaving or being laid off left and right. New projects are coming online that have no engineering support. There are three possible lawsuits from employees, which could sour the sale if not settled out of court. It has made me feel like I'm in an airplane, piloted by our execs. Our landing gear is stuck up and the passengers are screaming that we are leaking fuel. The execs are ignoring the leaks, trying to get us over the mountain at any cost. There is a lake big enough to land in on the other side of a mountain range, but no one knows if there is enough fuel to get there. We will either end up safely landing in the lake with only a few casualties, or crashing in the mountain range, with little hope for any survivors. All I know is either way, the larger company has given myself and several others parachutes if they do not end up buying the whole company and are ready to swoop in a snatch up the few pieces they want from the wreckage scattered across the mountain range for pennies.

In other news, cloudstack is pretty awesome.

Remember - if you end up crashing, and you survive, eat the dead.

...I have no idea what that means in relation to your analogy, but do it anyway.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Varkk posted:

As a general rule never let electricians touch any kind of cable.

Basically look for buildings that are already perfectly wired and never ever leave them.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

[...] that would give me headaches.

Dude... was today your last day?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Reminder to everybody:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Dude... was today your last day?

blackswordca posted:

no, Wednesday is. I am counting the hours at this point

TODAY IS THE DAY

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

AlternateAccount posted:

Well if your state is anything like my state, you just put in a call to your labor relations board, tell them someone is withholding pay and they will send someone over to jump up and down on their balls until it gets sorted. It was really, really easy for me.

Alberta is incredibly biased in favour of employers - sorry, I mean job creators - and so this likely wouldn't work quite as well.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

Week at the new jobs head office is done and I'm on my way home. Looks like a fun company to work for.

I need to know how many calls/emails/live-animals-nailed-to-your-door there've been from The Old Job.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

m.hache posted:

But it comes with the power! :black101:

What power?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A reply from the vendor came in!

quote:

"To be frank, we don't think there is much that can be done now on this case, as the upgrade has been done and we couldn't find any errors within the install logs. We suspect the missing files come from a previous upgrade."

Sooooo, that's what you want me to go back to the client with, guys? Maybe you could, y'know, provide copies of the missing files, or something???

Oh, and of course,

quote:

We're going to close this ticket now.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A frantic, need-to-know-NOW "ticket" was just yelled at the support desk by a manager:

quote:

"Can you connect internationally with WebEx???"

• Locked thread