Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I just watched someone who has worked for us for literally decades type the wrong TLD for our domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Years of CYA training in IT paying off!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Macaroni posted:

An email copied to high-level management came in:
My reply: The system is working; she never actually completed her training. Here's a screenshot of the fifteen separate emails she's received since July informing her about upcoming and (now) past-due deadlines. And hey, here's a screenshot of the fifteen emails you received as her manager, also since July. Additionally, here's a copy of the email I personally sent you in November with a spreadsheet listing your overdue people and what they needed to get current. The system is correctly showing incomplete training as incomplete. Have a great day.

I'm sick and maybe I'm missing something, but it looks to me like all this is telling you is that the training system doesn't think she completed the training, which isn't in dispute. Isn't the question whether those notifications are accurate?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Welcome back, everyone. The first thing I did today was tell someone who had been trying to turn their computer on for about ten minutes that she needed to turn the tower on, not just the monitors. Happy new year!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Sent: Monday, August 15, 2016 4:16 PM
To: [admin asst.]
Subject: starving

[admin asst.],

I've tried to reach out a few times over the past few weeks to share a few ways that you can make go over making [company] a happier and healthier place to work.

I don't mean to be a pest; I just want to send you some delicious, better for you snacks.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten any response - which means that either:

1) You already have healthy snacks at [company], and are getting new snacks for your employees to try every month (If that is the case, please let me know so I will stop bothering you.)

2) You are interested, but have not had the time to respond yet. I heard people are pretty busy now a days...

3) You've passed out from starvation! In which case I'll send snacks over right away.

Please respond with 1, 2, or 3, so I'll know you're okay.

I keep getting spam like this but for actual tech stuff. It is not better.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

wa27 posted:

An email came in:

That was sent to a group of six staff that were "hand-selected" by the CEO, a fact which she reminded us of immediately after that email went out. So yeah, off I go to lie about my company :iamafag:

This kind of thing is usually against policy for reviewing companies. Perhaps you could submit both a review and a complaint to Indeed. You could even do it on the same day!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have a whole bunch of recent (purchased within the last few years) MFPs that poo poo the bed if you leave them set to auto-negotiate. I have no idea why since obviously the switch side is gigabit since this isn't 1998. Configuring the device for 100Mbit causes them to work. We have received no end of false reports from our helpdesk about network drops not working because they didn't bother to test them before blaming us.

I encourage you to manually configure the devices for specific speeds rather than the switch side, because those devices are definitely going to wind up moving and it's pretty much guaranteed no one is going to tell you they moved and no one is going to keep a record of what ports were manually set to lower speeds.

guppy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 29, 2016

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am curious what the breakdown on certifications is, age-wise. It's great that you didn't need certifications to break in, but if that was 25 years ago (for example), I'm not sure things haven't changed. I'm in my early 30s and I think a couple basic certs, whatever you think of those certs, helped me get my foot in the door with HR if nothing else when I was going for my first real job.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Fool posted:

A ticket came in..

The CEO's Assistant wants to make sure that the boardroom's computer will be able to join a group webinar tomorrow.

The webinar's subject:

Advanced Minute Taking Workshop

:psyduck:

Skilled admin assistants are better at that than you can possibly imagine. It is not a mindless, no-skill thing, no matter how much it may sound like it. There's a lot that goes into it, including stuff you don't even remember exists like shorthand.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

iajanus posted:

ffs two of my support people are bitching that I wrote and refer them regularly to a knowledgebase article with extremely basic questions they should be asking clients (eg. When did the problem start, has anything changed, is it just failing for one person etc).

"gee thanks iajanus this is soooooo helpful" (laugh to each other and wander away)

They don't seem to grasp that the reason I wrote it and the GM approved it was because the idiots never ask the obvious questions and tend to spend 10 times as long trying to fix things because they never establish the basic facts or try simple fixes to things :suicide:

If they displayed even the most basic troubleshooting ability I wouldn't be forced to treat them as if they had none.

e: they also get annoyed when they ask me questions like "what does this random error message mean" with absolutely no context and I ask them a bunch of questions to establish what the gently caress I'm looking at. Yes, guys, I know every single Windows dialog box off the top of my head, silly me.

You can always tell them that it's because they aren't asking those questions.

If they literally report to you that's some pretty loving rude behavior.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Really? That's status quo where I work. If you go to a supervisor for help, you'd better have done your research first or we'll just laugh and tell you to search the knowledge base first. If it's consistently happening it goes on that person's quarterly review too.

If they can't figure out after repeated experiences that they don't get help unless they have the answers to x, y and z, they probably won't be very good at troubleshooting anyway.

I think I was unclear. If I have to tell someone to do the very rudiments of their job because they aren't doing it, I better not hear any lip about how they don't need to be told -- they forfeited that right when they didn't do those basics.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LordVorbis posted:

CUCM subscriber is using 100% constantly and causing weird errors on phones. I know jack poo poo about CUCM, get the helpdesk to raise a TAC.

After some back and forth we get this gem.

Is this a common resolution to a hosed cisco server? It seems somewhat excessive when the "unexpected shutdown" was two months ago, and we only started seeing issues about a month after that...

We got a TAC case response to a CUCM question where the recommended resolution was "figure it out yourself." I was not real impressed. We did not take kindly to it as an institution.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My first job out of college was in a call center with hotdesking. Everyone got sick all the time, and of course the place had lousy sick leave policies because they're the kind of garbage workplace that thinks hotdesking is a good idea.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did no-one think to double-check the work, knowing this? :stare:

How did he not think to double-check it?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Kurieg posted:

No, every other week, it's bi-monthly.

Bi-monthly would actually be every other month. Twice a month is semi-monthly.

... This was a trap, wasn't it?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I dug deeper into this rabbit hole and discovered that while the most commonly accepted use of "bi-" in this context is "every other," pretty much everyone appears to agree that "biannual" means the same thing as "semiannual" -- occurring twice per year -- and the correct word for "occurring every other year" is "biennial." I have no idea why this single use case should be different. Usually I regard poor usage skills from adults as a nontrivial personal failing, but this one is utterly baffling to me.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

devmd01 posted:

I've had an aerohive AP take down a branch network, it went haywire and started spamming garbage that shut down the entire network.

I've had a small desktop switch start doing exactly the same thing. Took us forever to figure out, it was behind a desk.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

MS stopped doing patches for XP machines even under extended contracts years ago at this point, haven't they?

OWLS! posted:

yeeeeep. Well last year maybe?

I couldn't remember exactly when so I looked it up. XP was end-of-life April 8, 2014. It's been over three years. Server 2003 was July 14, 2015. I assume this includes extended contracts, since it would be pointless to EOL it if they were, in fact, still developing patches.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

EoRaptor posted:

You'd be wrong, there are still extended contracts available for both O/S's. Stupidly, Windows XP Embedded, which differs from Windows XP by one registry setting, has support until the 2020's sometime.

Ah, I stand corrected. That does turn out to be the end of extended support, though, according to Wikipedia; end of mainstream support was April 14, 2009. There is some kind of "custom support" offering, and in the event of really big security flaws like this one, they apparently still release emergency patches. XP Embedded support apparently ended January 16, 2016 (also over a year ago) although I assume they are still offering custom support plans if you pay enough.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

spankmeister posted:

The absolute worst is read receipts. That poo poo just pisses me off.

So obviously I have them turned off globally.

Does iOS still automatically and silently send read receipts? I migrated to Android a while ago but that sure pissed me off when I had one.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/og_tjg/status/884756210267893761

Was this posted here, I feel like this should be posted here.

I started to type out something about how I don't understand how no one told them this was a bad idea, and then I deleted it all because I understand completely that no one asks their IT people anything and if they did they'd ignore the advice they got.

My bank's unverified Twitter account once asked me to DM them account information.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a reason to have a prefix for an outside line any more, other than 'people are used to dialling that way'? Seems like it causes confusion for no benefit.

I would think it's so that you can have (say) 4-digit extensions recognized as internal and dialed. I just woke up so maybe I'm missing something obvious about VoIP dial strings, but I don't think so since the 9 is a signifier you can use to base a dial string on for outside calls.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today a user called in a ticket because they were having problems with email not being delivered. A member of Desktop Support emailed them for more information. The user did not respond to the email, so Desktop Support closed the ticket.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

sfwarlock posted:

I think I know that guy! (Seriously, though, are his initials JL?)

They are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, IPv4 subnetting is easy.

/32 is one address, /31 is two, /30 is four, /29 is eight, etc.

32 = 32-0; 2^0 = 1
31 = 32-1; 2^1 = 2
30 = 32-2; 2^2 = 4
29 = 32-3; 2^3 = 8

32 = 32 ones, zero zeroes = 0xffffffff
31 = 31 ones, one zero = 0xfffffffe
30 = 30 ones, two zeroes = 0xfffffffd
29 = 29 ones, three zeroes = 0xfffffffc

And then you just go from there. Also you have to keep in mind that subnets will always begin and end on certain numbers. Like you should know deep down in your heart what /8 /16 and /24 are, and that there's no way to get a /24 range to begin at some arbitrary number -- the range will always be x.x.x.0-x.x.x.255. Every other subnet works the same way, like a /23 will be x.x.y.0-x.x.z.255, where y is even and z is odd. If you get a question like you need to know what the range of addresses in a /27 is, find out how many addresses are in it (32-27 = 5; 2^5 = 32), then break down the next biggest whole octet range (a /24) into groups of that size: 0-31, 32-63, 64-95, 96-127, 128-159, 160-191, 192-223, 224-255. So if you get an address of, say, 10.10.10.56/27, you know the first usable address in that subnet is 10.10.10.33, the last usable is 10.10.10.62, and the broadcast is 10.10.10.63.

Thanks Ants posted:

And for some reason the Cisco official way of teaching that makes it sound really loving complicated

Thanks for this, I did indeed learn it the Cisco way and found it very confusing.

• Locked thread