Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in:

I got a job and I start Monday!

Its part time and for a very small MSP ( I will be one of two employees including the owner) but its something.

:yotj:

Congrats! BTW did you ever read the PM I sent you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Logitech Introduces High-Resistance Keyboard For Fitness-Minded Typists

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bob Morales posted:

Is it one of those super cheap 19" wide screens Dell has every now and then or is some factory still cranking out 19" 1280x1024's

I doubt anybody's making 5:4 panels any more.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I work from home two days a week, and for the first little while of this I was using my 55" TV with my trusty old 19" 5:4 Soyo LCD that I won in 2005. When somebody left the company a while back they sent back their 24" and you better believe I snatched that up to take my TV's place as my primary monitor. Now I can work while watching The Price Is Right :v: and at the office I use matched 23" monitors.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Change the combination on my luggage!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Aunt Beth posted:

So there's a great little book put out by The Register called A Brief History of Virtualization, that's published on their site as a collection of articles. Here's the one that describes the introduction as virtualization as a concept, if not initially a word, on the S/360. It was introduced as a way to allow for interactivity, time sharing, and obviously a more efficient use of a tremendously expensive system: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/14/brief_history_of_virtualisation_part_2/

But as everyone says, nothing is new. This move into the cloud, etc is just a return to centralized computing, though now instead of branches connecting to the mother mainframe, it's everyone connecting to mother AWS or Azure. Eventually I'm sure the cloud will fall out of favor and distributed systems will be the new old new old hot thing.

And if you process billions of transactions, are you using z/TPF? There's some more cool reading. A stripped-down, highly available, real time OS for processing transactions as fast and as reliably as possible. Can't come close to mainframe uptime.

edit: What a lame page snipe. Here's a picture of a 360 and a LADY for fun.

See that switch panel (for lack of a better term) behind the lady's left shoulder? My boss from two jobs ago had that on the wall (we worked out of his basement).

God I just realized how goony that sounded.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Fool posted:

An outage notification came in..

Our internet connection died for a few hours, but apart from manually having to reset a VPN connection, everything came back up with no issues.

Looking into the cause of the outage:

http://www.ktva.com/man-arrested-causing-gci-outage-damages-facility-844/

Weird, today must be the day for these incidents. This happened to a friend of mine this morning:

Then there's also Orlando :smith:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Screenshot attached to a ticket:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In today's Misadventures in Userland:

User 1 got into her remote office and her desktop's USB wifi adapter wasn't working. Had her move it into another USB port, started working again. So far, so good.

A little bit later, she puts in a frantic ticket. She has Microsoft on hold and needs the admin password to let them remote in. I remote in myself and am immediately greeted with "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED. PLEASE CALL MICROSOFT AT 1-855... SECURITY ALERT. YOUR IP ADDRESS..." blaring through my speakers.

"Did you call Microsoft?"
"Yes! They're still on hold!"
"But did you call actual Microsoft, or the number on this popup?"
"The number on ... ohhhhh"

-------------------------------------------

User 2 has been failing to grasp that she can't do a Skype meeting from an RDP session into her office PC, as she can't expect that computer to see or hear her. I invite her to send me a meeting invite to test, I join the meeting and remote into her home PC. She still cant understand why Skype is showing a picture of her empty office at work. This after repeated explanations (in writing!) why that won't work, installing Office via 365 on her home PC to have Skype4Biz available, and a step by step how-to of joining a Skype meeting from home. And she even says to me, "I'm not a moron!"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Data Graham posted:

Where do I put my Sega tapes?

In the trash.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:j:: I got an error message...
:eng101:: Where?
:j:: On your website...
:eng101:: What did it say?
:j:: I don't know.
:eng101:: Is it working now?
:j:: Don't know that either. I'm driving right now, but I wanted to do you a favor and give you a call to let you know that your website is broke :)"

A voicemail I got way back at my first job, transcribed verbatim:

""Hello, your page won't load. I have been trying for the last hour to get to it a number of different ways, such as going through links from my local office's site, and it still won't load. Somebody at your office said there is no problem, well I'm calling to tell you there is a problem. You won't be able to reach me, so I won't leave any contact information. Goodbye.""

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yesterday I told a remote user via email to take something to her local FedEx store, and wrote "Call me when you get there, 312-555-1234. I'll authorize them to charge the packing to our account"

I missed her call but called her back and she had paid for the packing out of pocket, which she'll get reimbursed for, but she said the account number was rejected.

I asked her what account number she gave them: "312-555-1234"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in: change the combination on my luggage!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MF_James posted:

You can say it out loud if you in fact are not also an idiot. I worked helpdesk for 2 years answering calls and we often regaled each other with tails of stupid users, but made sure we were actually on mute because, you know, we aren't the idiots.

*tales

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Apparently the X is for eXecutive?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was remoted into somebody's laptop today and noticed that their msn.com email account, which is set up in Outlook, is using a .ost data file.

Does that mean she might have some sort of online archiving option from MSN to put her .pst files of older email into?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks Ants posted:

.OST files are a local mailbox cache, not relating to archiving.

That I know. I guess another way to put it is, does msn.com email essentially use Exchange, and if so is online archiving also offered?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mine's still in good shape, been barely used. I'm in for another.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

(not mine)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://imgur.com/gallery/uHlkvDd

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Getting a bit Clippy in here...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

chin up everything sucks posted:

I'll send info to people as soon as the IT Manager gets the job description written up again.

Maybe consider posting in the SH/SC Job Fair megathread.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

We're sending a squad up.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just a guess, would the machine leaving the domain (and rejoining when needed) do it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

kensei posted:

This thread is over 4 years old. Is it time for a new one?

Make it on New Year's Day. Call it the 2018 thread.

I'm of the belief that all megathreads should be annual threads. The 2017 [whatever] thread, the 2018 thread, 2019, etc.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Data Graham posted:

The new thread should have social share buttons on every post.

Twitter Facebook Instagram LinkedIn Pinterest email Gmail G+ Snapchat Print Facebook Messenger

Don't forget Digg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Retrospectives of goons and their :yotj: stories are always good.

• Locked thread