Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I got a lot of emails last week. . .

The person they hired to replace my boss is leaving (evidently she's been 'working from china' for the bulk of 2 years, and according to my interactions with grad students in that program in bars. . . my term in that department is known as the time when things worked).

Well, pretty much every professor in those two departments are calling for me to apply, except of course for professor iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

demonachizer posted:

You of course would never return to the same position I hope. I would only consider returning somewhere if it was a change in responsibility and pay grade, especially after two years. Otherwise you are saying to them (and yourself) that you haven't grown in the intervening two years.

I've moved up the paygrade scale a few times since then. . . this is more of one of those things they didn't put in the OP about the saga of enotnert and professor iPad (after I left that department, and got a massive overtime check I started not needing to bitch as much)

I just know 99.9% of the people there want me back, and wanted me to accept my bosses position after she died. There was some interesting things passed to me, so I chunked my resume to the wind and YOTJ'd in about a week.

Pham Nuwen posted:

What the hell, "working from china" for 2 years sounds like the worst thing ever. I'm on the Pacific Coast. It's currently 5 p.m. here and 8 a.m. in Shanghai. It basically guarantees every email will be answered the next day, and you'll only get phone calls by calling outside of someone's normal work hours (guarantee it won't be the boss's work hours, even though she's the one in loving China)

Also I'd have reservations about letting the person in charge of your computers and networks work from China. I'm probably extra paranoid because of work, but :drat:

She was hired because of "professor iPad". . . she was horrible, has been stated as being horrible. . . but professor iPad has a bunch of false power (he was hired tenure, and I've heard rumors he got blacklisted by the NSF). . . he actually just had her moved to a position that I was told I was the top choice for but couldn't be hired for political reasons a year or so back.

Fun fact, she's walking into an environment with multimillion dollar gpgpu clusters, that the last person left decided he wanted to "bond interfaces" and just statically assigned all interfaces in every server to the same IP. . .

enotnert fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 19, 2013

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
if we're talking wife tickets I recently got

"my computer is running like it's 1997"

boot to osx install disc, repair permissions.

and almost every other night

"I can't use plex"

Which leads to another 30 minute show of "hit activities on remote, hit use ps3, hit button on controller, go left to video, go down to plex HUZZAH!"

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'm actually unreasonably pleased that my wife is learning how to Google more effectively. It's also pretty :3: when she pops up on GTalk to tell me about a problem she had that she was going to bug me about, but spent half an hour Googling and figuring out the answer herself.

Gotta be honest and brag. . .

My wife started a blog, bought a domain, learned some basic DNS and hosting, installed wordpress.

Had this poo poo going for a year before I noticed it.

Now we get free foodstuffs from her blog.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Since many of y'all don't wander into the amber forum below this one.

I went to reimage a laptop handed to me last week. Standard ole dell laptop, 320gb, running windows, just needed a new clean windows image.

Started up clonezilla it got to where it calls partition info off the old drive.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
On that image I posted. . . let's just say the guy before me is a moron. The job is good and I'm getting the environment unfucked but I've found some hilarious poo poo. Like a laptop with a win7Ultimate OEM sticker on the bottom, but running win7 home 32bit (oh laptop also had 16gb for some reason)with hacked dlls to let it connect to the domain.

Also some folks try to login, and it takes, no joke 45 minutes.

The enterprise admin and I are trying to find out why, but no clue. He told the users it was a "government script" he was "required to run by law"

Oh the other fun thing. . . I've been virtualizing some of my servers (why run a license server alone on an old 2850 power hog?).

Try to join the computer back to the domain? "you cannot do this because the credentials to join this computer to the domain do not match the previous credentials"

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I got a request for a "computer with many cores" to "run a calculation" a few months back.

Well I had a user with a spare computation node with 8 cores and 32gb of ram and asked him if he'd allow this other person to utilize it for her request. He agreed, so I began setting it up.

She later discussed her program with another professor with much more competence in HPC applications/etc and he realized her problem would take 4000-5000 core hours.

I called our HPC guys to see if they could set her an account up on one of their larger clusters to bring the return time down to a day or so, they agreed, and got it all setup under linux, offered to train her to submit a job, etc.

She says it won't work on linux. The other professor needed his spare node, I said gently caress it and put her on a pentium4 dual core i had laying about with 2gb of ram.

Welp.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
ahhh I shall bitch about the tickets of my user I have dubbed "hpc woman", months back she put in a request asking if I had a power computer to spare to do some calculations, worked out with a professor to use his 16 core/128gb ram computational node, she talked to another person whom told me doing the job on that system would take roughly 5 months.

I hooked her up with the cluster group which had something flat nasty (but it ran linux!) they got her hooked up, her programs installed, helped optimize her code for the cluster, then she ran screaming that it wouldn't run in linux (lie!) so she comes back to me asking for a machine.

I give her one, a lovely pentiumD running win7x64 with a scatching 1gb of ram.

She asks for another one, you know how windows 7 requires a certain amount of ram. . . well with trickery you can get it running on a single vcpu vm with 512mb of ram.

Wonder how long it's gonna take to run now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

KoRMaK posted:

Have you probed into asking her why it wouldn't work on linux? Or told her that this thing won't finish running within her lifetime?

One does not ask a "computer scientist" why something you know will work, will not work according to them.

They get frustrated, and start whining, and it's easier to just passively aggressively punish them.

• Locked thread