Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in

A password reset site is not working

A password reset site that isn't controlled by the Helpdesk or by our Accounts team.

A password reset site that no one has ever seen before.

So why does this tool exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nativity In Black posted:

I took the A+ in 2009 (I think) and they had questions about IRQ codes and specific memory locations, things I have never used since. I believe that was the last year for that particular test before they moved on and started covering Windows 7. It was also the last year before you had to do continuing education to keep your A+.

It's a pretty bullshit cert but it did get my foot in the door.

I recall the test had a question that was like "What button do you press when installing Windows XP to load a third party RAID driver?" Having only installed Windows 20 or so times at that point I couldn't recall the exact key off the top of my head. As though it were extremely important to know the exact key to hit when it was printed right on the screen during the pertinent section.

I remember doing it in the last year before they redid their policy for re-certification. It was June 2007 when I took it, and it was the last chance to do it before you had to do it every 3 years. It was such a loving terrible exam. I got 682 on both exams, passed, then just put it on the resume.

I believe it was quoted in the last ticket thread that someone put down "Former A+" on their resume, and when asked, stated "I don't see the need to recertify myself every 3 years for an entry level IT certificate" or something. As I did mine before, I just leave it as A+ certified (though I should really remove it)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The spec bucket story is my favourite from the old thread. Just an amazing combination of shcok and awe and amazingness at the same time.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The only 2 certificates worth getting are BSc and SSc

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

And the astronavigation exam.

Trying my best. I covered myself with gibberish the textbook knowledge just in case. Wish me luck

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

We are missing 27 conference room laptops and rising.

In our most recent meeting, I made a motion for Fuckstick McGee to be the one responsible for locating them, or, failing that, be made fiscally responsible for replacing them. Sadly, my motion was not carried.

Bill the CIO for the missing laptops, then when he comes to complain, tell him that if Fuckstick McGee isn't going to be responsible, then the person who authorized unlocking the laptops is.

Watch poo poo trickle downhill.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

fluppet posted:

Got a bottle of this ordered to celebrate my regrade :D

I want one of these but goddamn 40 GBP to ship to Canada

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's why my company has pstools installed on all computers by default :smug:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in...

We switched our VPN client recently, and we've been trying to move everyone over (with much success). This is one of those users who have had issues.

We go onto his computer and check the logs, to find that his WinXP > Win7 upgrade failed.

Knowing this is an upgrade, but wanting to double check, I consult with someone from the networking team who helped with the transition. He said that there was a case that he was looking into 3 months ago where someone's computer was un-repairable due to the migration to Win7 and had to re-install his computer, and it sounded like this.

Can someone guess what happened next?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

The user got a high end bespoken dell laptop? I like the network guy was like "known issue".

More like "this guy was told 3 loving months ago to have his computer reimaged and didn't do it"

Also turns out this guy is THE local IT for the site.

What was he hoping, that the first answer was wrong then someone at the helpdesk would be able to fix a corrupt build of a laptop?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Comradephate posted:

We use SameTime, and I am 100% sure that we use it because somebody paid a lot of money for it before realizing it was garbage, and now they want to justify the purchase.

:smith:

I thought Sametime was awesome, despite that their screen sharing capability is godawful.

If we could use Sametime with Outlook, I think we'd get no complaints from my company.

Office Communicator is a massive piece of poo poo.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
But then you're probably drinking really lovely beer.

Montreal's prices for beer is generally about $5-8 per pint for most microbrews. Well worth the expenditure.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

:yotj: is official. Notice given at current and job accepted at next gig.
I was asked by new boss what mobile device I wanted. Let's hope I don't regret taking the Surface Pro option.

I couldcareless (:smug:) about this, but I don't so grats!

I would've gone for one with a proper keyboard dock (instead of the cover dock, my preference really), but still not a bad choice.

Dick Trauma posted:

Congratulations!

If anyone wanted to know which company has the worst voice-directed customer support I can tell you: It's Pitney Bowes. Our postage meter stopped connecting via the analog line so they sent us a replacement. This one won't even detect a carrier. I call their support number and it's voice directed. It's taken me a total of ten tries to get two successful calls, because when I say "technical support" I get every other possibility (Ex: "Did you say 'sales'?") and when it falls back to a voice/keypad combo and I hit 2 for tech support it just drops the call.

As soon as I hear that it's a voice activated system, I usually just end up yelling "ANALYST" at the phone 50 million times until it connects me to... an analyst in India!

woo

but at least I get a human.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't even give them a chance. gently caress those systems.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

YOTJ:
I found out ive been shortlisted for an IT role which is extremely close to home for me. maybe a 20 minute walk in the summer. Just waiting on a phone call to schedule the interview

Bout loving time. If he offers you anything, anything at all, TAKE THE JOB.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What sort of animal sacrifice pleases Canadian gods? I'll build an altar in my backyard for this.

Maple syrup

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's why you have warranty clause. 3 years, then new computer.

Tell him that his computer is out of warranty, and that you cannot support the computer anymore as it will be a breach of whatever support model your company has.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

Pretty much that. Good Ol' Civ 2

Content:

Apparently Sr restarted the server and didn't check services.. most of the exchange services were stopped.

Watch as you get blamed for it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
ICQ number rememberation station: 27556444

That number will never leave my brain (I also remember my old home phone number from when I was 6)

Also: Mooamp was the best Winamp skin (and I still use it because it does what I need it to do).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, 70 new posts, I wonder what glorious story there is to r...

:jebstare:

Now, I'll admit I'm one of those people who try to diffuse a situation, but even I know that a contract is a contract in business, no matter who signs it (oh hey, being a massive Star Trek nerd has taught me something).

An excuse of "this person does not have the right to sign the contract" should have been brought up before they signed the contract, not after. It's their drat problem, not yours.

I would demand payment or tell them that the site is going down. You've been over-generous.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been to the last two Xmas parties for this place and both times the music was turned up so loud I could neither hear anyone, nor make myself heard. I have some sort of audio processing problem that makes it hard for me to pick out voices from loud background noise

I have a massive problem with continuously loud noises. Clubs, and most bars, are out for me because of it. I'll end up freaking out and non-responsive.

My last company's Christmas party last year was at a resto-bar-club type joint. I didn't know what to expect since I had never been to the place before. First thing I was greeted to was a wall of sound.

Yeah, nothing like feeling awkward at a party.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

Huh.. weird situation has come up and my google fu is failing me

I have a user who is connecting to a VPN then accessing shared folders on the VPN'd server. When they try to access a network share by a NET USE or NET VIEW command they get an error that access is denied. If you try to manually browse to the address by going \\SERVERIP it says the path doesn't exist. The server pings without a problem.

If you find a solution, please let me know. We just moved over to a new VPN client and we've seen some clients with this issue. it's driving me nuts thinking that it's some sort of bizarre DNS issue.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The terrible Document Management System that we use has a conference in November!

GUESS WHO'S GOING

I would totally go to a lovely development conference to see William Shatner.

Too bad my job doesn't need me to do theses things :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

diremonk posted:

New account password rules have come down from the company that bought my station. Maybe it is just me, but they seem a bit off.

quote:

Passwords must be 8 characters in length.
I'm glad my last day is next week, otherwise I'd get roped into helping deal with this mess.

Can't be above 8 in length? That would piss me the hell off.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

In other news, I've been notified I must take a drug test before reporting to work tomorrow, my only alternative being to resign. This oughta be interesting...

Hope you haven't eaten a plethora of poppy seeds lately...

e:f;b :argh:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gonna go with "a spoon" that was bent by being in your bag

e: well that's what i get for being slow on the reply... by an hour :stare:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

None of these are working. I want to see the mess art :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

We use Fiberlink MaaS360. It's good once it's up and running with some nicely granular support. I don't know how much it costs so it may be worth looking into 2012 R2's mobile device management if you can spin off a VM for testing/futzing.

gently caress Fiberlink. Their lovely product is loving horrendous to troubleshoot. Chances are, if something's hosed up with a users laptop, it's because of Fiberlink.

Granted, we only ever used the Laptop MaaS client, not the mobile, but I wouldn't touch anything from them again if I could help it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This happens every single time in every single situation. Nothing to be done about it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

One of our devs had DropBox installed, and upper management found out about it and flipped out. So now everything must be as locked down as possible!

Apparently having UAC disabled on our computers is against our policies. The Helpdesk needs UAC disabled otherwise certain programs won't run properly, like EventComb.

I'm one of the few who disabled it the second they got their Win7 computers a few years back. It's supposed to be enforced by GPO, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not turning it back on.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

UAC is a good thing, and software that doesn't comply with it is poo poo and opens you up for a huge number of attack vectors.

There are ways to make poo poo software work within UAC, and your company should be using them.

EventCombMT is a Microsoft product. It doesn't work with UAC enabled. It might have something to do with us being logged in with our regular accounts, but we run the application as our Domain Admin accounts, which should bypass any restrictions, yet it doesn't. The only thing I can think of is that it's because the loving application hasn't been updated in over 10 years and it's wigging out because of UAC.

I'm not saying that UAC is stupid or evil, but for certain IT applications to work (even certain Microsoft applications), and for it to be holding us back from actually doing work, I think it's rather pointless to have in an IT support environment.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Caged posted:

I believe there's still quirks in Windows about picking up an admin token, in that even if you're logged in with an admin account you still need to elevate. If the application can't request elevation (such as if it's ancient) then it will run as a standard user. I think this might be something you can fix in the compatibility tab though.

I tested this; setting it with "Run as admin". Still failed.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Don't see why we can't have the Grenade with the needful on it. That would make more sense to me.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Aight, so changing language settings in XP should NOT be this loving weird.

A user has a virtual computer that was set, by default, to English. Someone else decides to log into his computer, sets the language settings to Korean. For some reason, this applies to everyone's account. I log in with my domain admin account, change the language settings back, and restart the computer. However, this only seems to apply to MY account, not to the users accounts.

Is there no way for me to change this to apply to all accounts?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Probably, but I don't know the answer - although have you looked at a GPO so that can't be changed? That would also probably set it back.

None that I could find, and Google isn't helping me much either.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

What's infuriating was that a random user managed to change the whole entire computer's languages, but the domain admin can't do dick. It did specify that you be running at least 2008 on the server side, wherein you can make a group policy:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2012/08/16/how-to-change-regional-settings-for-all-users-on-a-computer.aspx

Not sure if it'll help, but hope it does give you some ideas as a starting point. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to create GPO's, let alone one that is only affecting one computer. I might just rebuild the drat thing to be away with it, since it's going to affect every single person logging into it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

demonachizer posted:

Try logging in with a local user and changing it or failing that a local admin.

Tried that, no dice.

Might just rebuild the drat thing. Spent too much time/effort on it already.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
System restore is disabled on our PCs.

Trust me, we're a lot better off that way.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

E4C85D38 posted:

Are you allowed to just close as failing to identify a problem, or do you actually have to follow up on this?

In my case we'd send it back to them saying "Please provide us with the information the client wants us to perform, this task should be performed by Level 1 analysts as part of basic troubleshooting" and link them to the document that says such.

gently caress analysts who just say "client needs help, call this number". That's not our job, that's your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
An announcement came in at 10:59 - please join us all in observing 2 minutes of silence for Remembrance Day

A call came in to my colleague at 11:00:05

He was not happy.

• Locked thread