Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
This happened Friday

An email came in for our team, mandatory conference call this afternoon

An hour later I get a call from my boss "I no longer work for the company, I've been fired. But I've talked you up during my exit interview so hopefully you will get my old position"

Conference call happens and the firing of my boss was announced

The national director has schedule a one hour call with each member of our team.

Cue me spending this afternoon gathering info, politicking with the other reps, and putting together everything for my call tomorrow

Little do they know that if I don't get this job, I'm gone in a little over 2 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

MF_James posted:

You're going to punish them by working them for another 2 years? Seems like an OK punishment for them...

Have to pay down my house before I leave. Just bored with this job and there's nowhere to go except for a few field management positions or move to our corporate office in Washington state (I do not want to move there). Whether this position opened up or not, I was leaving by December 2015. My old boss knew it already but I had a great relationship with him. He was actually the best boss I've ever had since I started working 18 years ago. Put more time and effort into my professional development than all my other bosses combined. He just made some bad decisions.

ShadowStalker fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 19, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

If you're in this thread, I can pretty much guarantee you'll find something better in commuting distance inside 2 years.

Besides, what were you planning on moving to in 2015, if not another job in the same area?

No, the wife and I are moving 750 miles north to Northern Virginia in 2 years to be close to my family. My job is pretty good for pay, flexibility, and hours worked. I've just been doing it for 11 years and I'm so bored and not challenged at all. Most of my friends say I've got a dream job but I don't see it that way. I'm starting my MBA in January and should be done in 18 months. I'm hanging around for 2 more years to complete the MBA and pay the house down so we can sell it for what we owe (drat housing market)

I'm a field engineer for a medical device company and our work is about 40% IT work, expected to shift to 60% in the next 5 years.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'm actually unreasonably pleased that my wife is learning how to Google more effectively. It's also pretty :3: when she pops up on GTalk to tell me about a problem she had that she was going to bug me about, but spent half an hour Googling and figuring out the answer herself.

My wife's doesn't submit tickets about technology in the house, she's decent with computers. So decent that she's pretty much the default non-IT IT person in the law firm she works in. They always contact her first and then she escalates to their 3rd party IT.

I get calls about the law firms IT stuff and recommendations because she knows she can contact me quicker and I will give better answers.

Laser printer on the fritz when we stopped by to drop something off last weekend, a quick google and internal reset and it's fixed.

One of the other locations are having issues with their VOIP lines sounding garbled and slow internet. The idiot 3rd party IT guys put both the VOIP and network traffic on a terrible T1 line and left the Comcast Business Class connection unplugged and unused. It's ok, the 3rd party IT guys will just charge you for the travel and a new firewall.

Laptop taken over by spyware and bots, jamming up network traffic; just shut it down and we'll re-image it. 3 weeks later and still no laptop for one of the lawyers. He's stuck using an old desktop.

The owner of the law firm approached my wife about having me come be there IT guy but balked at a 6 figure salary when he's only paying like $30k a year for his 3rd party IT.

• Locked thread