Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Server in the men's room.jpg? You have what it takes to work here at The Ticket Bitching Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I've been toying with Windows 8.1 and I'm not sure what they did but the Start screen is a bit less poo poo now. They've tweaked it just enough I think.

That said, gently caress deploying it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

We have a new CEO and she's frustrated. We're an IT team of two, and as soon as she got in, she wanted to get rid of her desktop, and use new laptop exclusively.

- Our network is Windows XP, she insisted on Windows 7 for the laptop, not a big problem.

- Corporate requires the laptop to be encrypted (Sophos), and at work it has to be on a static IP.

- Corporate's GPO has file synchronization and offline files disabled. Our GPO uses homefolder redirection. In other words if one completely loses LAN connection, files are unavailable. This has never presented a problem before.

- For her to get to her files from home, she has sign in locally to the laptop, then sign into a VPN, then sign into a terminal server. Mercifully I made all three of these the same login/password.

Now, she doesn't like that she has "two desktops", she wants to be able to work offline and not worry about shuttling her files between the laptop and the terminal server desktop. How can I simplify things as much as possible for her? I'd just join the laptop to the domain if it weren't for needing an internet connection and VPN to reach the files. Plus, I've seen on some of our other laptops, that when they can't get a connection they won't always honor the cached credentials and might refuse login through the encryption software.

Cant she just dropbox her "home" files? Or exclude her laptop from the redirection GPOs?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

McGlockenshire posted:

A few months ago, we finally retired our 2005-era front-end servers.

As a half-joke, we told Marketing that we should totally put one on display in the lobby. I mean, we build servers, why not show off some of our best work, eh?

Yup.

I didn't think they'd actually do it. This is the same Marketing department that produced the annotated laptop from the last thread. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it.

I think i really like this.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The hammer, the rock, or the user?

Your will to live.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

frogbert posted:

Don't feel bad dude, I had no idea Proper() existed, I'd have done it your way too.

I knew about Proper() but when I read the post I was constructing some god-awful VBA routine in my head. I never pick the easy path.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I've been here before:

http://qz.com/125673/frustrated-geek-explains-what-he-does-in-a-childrens-book/

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

User cant export data. Get thei, set export directory to something with write permissions,gold. Find new problem when doc is uploading anonymous patient records to a site with an invalid cert. Tell him, tells me to fix it. 'This isnt even our pc or anything to do with us, Im just here to help you guys out. You shouldnt upload to that site with that cert. They'll have to fix that.'
Apparently its someedical curriculum that he 'has' to upload all his records to. When I asked who told him that and who manages that process in house he had no answer. So yeah, higher up doctor uploading all of his records to foreign database with invalid certs. I dont doubt that thats some sort of statistics project, but jesus what are you doing.
Also, boss told me not to bother him with law violations that happen on pcs that arent ours. I guess if I see a doctor murder someone it's "not our problem" either.

Respec the QUAD.

A - Avoid - Dodge work that you know will create fallout. Doing nothing > being responsible.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Every motherfucker has decided to download IOS7 on our public wifi. Thanks assholes!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

jim truds posted:

People are always amazed at my work when I tell them I do not know their password and no, I can not look it up. Then they try to tell it to me and I have to tell them I don't want to know.

Some people are positively giddy when they tell me that their password is "Gloria" and that's it's the same for everything.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

They could probably do it as a patent troll? BlackBerry has a shitload of patents.

Buy the company for 4.7 billion. Sell the patents to Microsoft and Google for 5 billion!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
"a programmer expects their corporate office to insist on a change to something (anything at all) on every presentation to show that they're participating, so a programmer adds an element they expect corporate to remove on purpose."

Love it.

Question: Those of you who map drives to a DFS share, have you ever had any trouble with file conflicts? I have two designers who work on the same files out of a single DFS share and I kind of feel that its only a matter of time before they open the same file at the same time and cause a conflict.

Swink fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 25, 2013

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I would work late when the project was personally fulfilling. Either a work of personal project. There is a difference between working late because you want to and working late because you feel you have to.

Although now that I am responsible for a tiny tiny human I rarely work past 5.30 for any reason.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
SCSH Trust Fund 2013: Buying booze and resumes for the truly needy.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Huh, it seems there'd be a more novel approach to this. I can't be the only one who needs to try to match machine to user.

Login script that writes username and PCName to a csv file. Let it run for a month.

Open the csv in Excel and look at the users who logged into the same PCName the most.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

dennyk posted:

Whenever I use Dell chat, I open with several paragraphs of detailed technical analysis about the issue, what I did to troubleshoot it, and what I need them to do to fix the issue (which is usually just "send us a replacement part via courier"). Usually works fine, but the last couple times, this has resulted in about ten minutes of baffled silence followed by "Sorry sir you will have to please call our engineering department at XXX-XXX-XXXX for assistance with this matter thank you sir and have a nice day sir" :argh:
Just open up a new chat!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

mllaneza posted:

how do we get people to exploit or technology to the maximum ?"

I wouldnt mind a discussion on how to do exactly this.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Is there an RDS clients for Macs that support RDS Gateway? I've found "iTap RDS" but it's 25 bucks and can only be bought via the "Mac Store". Are there any alternatives?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Swink fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 24, 2013

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

anthonypants posted:

This program was built by pharamacists, for pharmacists:

F1 F1 F1 :f5:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Before you drop $100 on Powershell, watch this 4 hour presentation from Don Jones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ya1dQ1Igkc

This gave me the grounding and then I went from there.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Win 8 OEM PCs came in!

Oh God please tell me there's a way to apply my Win7 MDT image and somehow get it registered!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Great machine-spirits help you, cause god certainly won't

Bad username\post combo. :(

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Lum posted:

It still amazes me that there are IT people who don't immediately format and reinstall any prebuilt computer that comes their way.

Related: this program was sent my way by someone asking if it's any good. I've not used it but supposedly it will backup and restore Windows+Office activations so you don't even have to worry about having to phone microsoft or losing your OEM/SLIC based key. Anyone know if it's any good?

Thread delivers me joy once again. (Assuming this works as described)

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
This thread. Jesus Christ.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Caged posted:

My desire for him to :yotj: is surpassed only by the desire for the stories to continue.

Someone always steps up when the thread needs them.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
"InDesign is slow"

We've recently hired some designers (our first ever) and they're opening InDesign files over the local network. It's making things pretty slow for them. What is best practice for these types of workers?

I've never used InDesign but it seems like one file can link back to multiple other files, all of which are pretty large.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Option 4: lay offs!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
"Printer is out of toner"

"What colour?"

"I dont know."

"..."

"..."

Black. It was out of black.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
To those who use PDQ inventory, is there some kind of provision or scenario where two users can share the inventory database? Can I get two copies and have them synchronize somehow?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Sirotan posted:

You should email Admin Arsenal and ask them, they're really good at responding to questions like this even if you are running the free version.

Dur! Went to their forums and found it straight away. Turns out you cant do it (yet): http://support.adminarsenal.com/entries/23383990-best-practices-for-installation-of-PDQ-Inventory-between-2-person-IT-shop

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
:( My files are printing slowly!

:) Oh yeah?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Jadus posted:

I received mine yesterday, it's a Meraki MR16 and I'm pretty amazed with it, despite only using it in my home for now.

I've registered for the webinar. Do I just confirm the delivery once the webinar is finished?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
My free meraki AP arrived and it makes me want to roll then out everywhere. Easiest poo poo ever.

What is Cisco ownership going to do to them though?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
We're finally making our users choose their own passwords. Complex passwords!

I send an email to 10 people at a time. "Your password is expiring, you need to choose your own. Heres a bunch of info you might want to read".

Holy loving GOD. The questions I'm getting are pretty bad.

"I just changed my password, and my old password is not working in $service"

But the best ones are the senior (old) staff who have clearly forgotten their new password but are blaming "The system" for screwing the process up. I have to nod and pretend like they might be onto something, so I walk back to my desk, have a sip of coffee and then return to their office and assure them that things are now 'synchronized' and voila, their password works now because they've had 5 minutes to think about it.

Still, the majority of users have been pretty good so far. I'm glad this is happening.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Bobulus posted:

- Statement on password creation screen encouraging you to think up a sentence as a password

Can you do this on a Windows domain? If so, how?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
^ By the same token, every single one of our systems uses the same password as the domain. Yet we always get people asking "Whats my app login?"

It's the same thing you use for literally everything. You dont have any others!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
With blacksworda moving on, who will take his place as 'guy with the shittiest job'? Someone always rises to take the mantle. Will it be you?

I'm excited and horrified to find out!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Write his name on the list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Got thing to do in windows? Do it with PS. The poo poo you do everyday? Start doing it with PS. You'll learn.

• Locked thread