Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in.

A guy was having connectivity issue with a PC. This is a different client than I normally deal with but not a big deal. I troubleshoot his system, an older XP computer, and signs point to a failed NIC. Call up my manager to let him know because this client isn't on a plan and doesn't have a dedicated support team.

:raise: Hey, I talked to the guy and troubleshot his PC. Looks like the NIC on his computer failed and will need to be replaced.

:rant: alright sounds good, make a ticket and send it to sales, they'll quote him a new PC and you can sell it to him.

:raise: Uhh sell it to him? I'm not a salesman, we have a sales department for that.

:rant: Since this client isn't on a monthly plan, the agents that work with them have to sell them the upgrades.

:raise: ... so the only times that sales gets involved is if the client is already in a contract?

:rant: yes

:raise: cant we just sell him a $15 nic and get him up and running instead of him being down for a week because we have to order in a new PC for him?

:rant: No. Sell him a new computer.

:raise: Do I get commission on it?

:rant: no, you aren't sales. Only sales gets commission.

:raise: ...

Tell the client the truth, tell your boss he figured out he can buy his own NIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Helushune posted:

Are you using Office 365? This happens constantly with my users and Microsoft has no solution. The only thing I've found is to nuke all the outlook.com stuff in credential manager which works for about a month before it starts happening again.

It's because the actual server you're connecting to changes occasionally, and Microsoft Sign-in Assistant sucks and never works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Helushune posted:

I know why it happens, it's just frustrating that it's a constant thorn in my side. On the other hand, it's probably the only thing I don't like about Office 365 so far.

Which version of Office do you use? For us it seems to only happen with 2007, which is pre-365. I don't think anyone with 2010 has had it happen, and nobody has had 2013 long enough to know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MJP posted:

Well, this fun bit just happened -

Engineering: "Okay, you're off. Please set up this proxy in your Internet Options so you are still routing traffic through the new Websense appliance."
>Set it up
>Traffic is blocked
>Removes proxy setup
>Traffic isn't blocked
Me: "OK, thanks, I'm set up on the proxy and it appears to be working."

Scary stuff, though, during the last IT department meeting, the CTO made mention about "some other exciting Websense products, which apparently let us read https packets - so we'll be able to know more or less everything and anything that goes on, even on personal accounts in case people are looking for jobs during the day."

I'm rusty on my crypto but doesn't the nature of https more or less absolutely stop this from happening by design, period, shut the chain, close the door, no question?

They do it in fun ways. Here's how Untangle's HTTPS Inspector plugin does it:

"HTTPS Inspector works by presenting a false certificate signed by a root Certificate Authority that must be installed on each host if HTTPS decryption is to take place without a browser warning. After presenting the certificate, it will endpoint the SSL connection, send the unencrypted HTTP traffic through all the applications, then create a new SSL connection on the other side."

From the posts above, this sounds like the popular method.

• Locked thread