Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mootallica posted:

http://games.on.net/2013/08/rumour-region-coding-in-saints-row-4-may-mean-copies-bought-outside-australia-will-revert-to-censored-edition/

I didn't see the back end of the previous thread so apologies if this has been posted & discussed to death already. If this happens to be true and not complete bullshit, would this will be the first game that actually has something like this short of having VPN activations for CIS versions? Even L4D2 could be activated if somebody bought you a non low-violence version.

My paranoia was justified! I'm still holding back until we find out the exacts of this, I imagine we'll find some solution even if this is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Typical, a long summer holiday with no good games, and this comes out the DAY AFTER I HAVE TO loving START WORKING AGAIN
[/firstworldproblems]

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I really hope the Youtube guy that did all the amazing celeb faces does a George Washington. One of the few gimmicks I'd love to run around as. Or Lincoln.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Considering all the shots they're taking at Mass Effect 3, it really, really blows my mind that there's no Tobias cameo. You'd think they'd have stuck him in there if for no other reason than a cheap calibration joke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Samurai Sanders posted:

The game FORCES you to use a car when you can fly?!

Why would you fly when you can drive the Hollywood?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Watching Lowtax's stream from last night, I noticed light poles, bridges, and signs are all Zinyak'd up. Do those switch back to normal once you control that territory?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So, what kind of changes is everyone making to their Boss when moving on up to 4? My main (male) Boss is just Jason Statham, but my custom FemBoss is going through a bit of a change, mainly because I think it'd be hilarious for someone dressed like she is going to be in 4 to stop an alien invasion.

Here's how she is in 3rd:

And now after Inauguration Station:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why would you fly when you can drive the Hollywood?

Would've been awesome if one of the options you could pimp cars with is making them be able to fly like the DeLorean.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So pumped for this game. My boss is ready :getin:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

So happy that I have a relatively full schedule and a couple of new games to tide me over this one final weekend. Sale on Vita games, Gone Home coming out today, and just a couple days of work should be enough to keep me distracted enough that I don't go crazy in the meantime.

And yeah, throw me on the roster of cool kids taking the day off for this.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Beep Boop why would anyone use cars when they are not the most efficient way of getting places? Does not compute.

Jesus who cares if there are better ways of getting around? Cars are for when you want to be a total pimp and cruise around in your upgraded pimpmobile, whatever you decide your pimpmobile to be. Mine is going to be a purple hummer with rims and a bunch of other poo poo on it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Always cruising around on my bike. My orange bike with purple lights.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Cleretic posted:

My paranoia was justified! I'm still holding back until we find out the exacts of this, I imagine we'll find some solution even if this is true.

The quote from the Steam employee says that if you buy a Low Violence version and gift it to someone in a region without a Low Violence version, the giftee will get the Low Violence version. It's the exact same rule that lets people avoid getting the Low Violence version by getting it gifted from someone in a region with the unedited version.

The moron who wrote up that rumour observed that nothing has changed and somehow concluded that things are their opposite. Ignore the article.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

xPanda posted:

The quote from the Steam employee says that if you buy a Low Violence version and gift it to someone in a region without a Low Violence version, the giftee will get the Low Violence version. It's the exact same rule that lets people avoid getting the Low Violence version by getting it gifted from someone in a region with the unedited version.

But that's not what it says in the article.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The hour count doesn't bother me at all. I spent 11 hours rushing through the SR3 story, which irked me until I realized I enjoyed every minute of that time. And since it's open world, I've more than doubled that count.

There was some backlash to an early PS3 game's 6 hour count, Heavenly Sword? I get that. I make $10/hr, I don't want to pay that for entertainment. Another ten hours is the sweet spot, and it's why I don't mind paying for handheld games.

The other complaint I don't really care about is the activities being story missions. They always give you the easiest rendition, and I still remember SR2 forcing you to play activities before you could progress in the story. No way.

In short? Bring it. I'm ready to strap it on and be the president.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
What's the best vpn program for unlocking early again? Spotflux is what I think I used the last time around?

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 15, 2013

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I still remember SR2 forcing you to play activities before you could progress in the story. No way.
That was kind of a weird system, but I personally never had a real problem with it because most of the activities were actually fun and had good rewards. It was also pretty easy to get enough respect to do all the story missions even if you didn't bother with the crappier activities like Heli Assault.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You could do maybe 10% of the activities and still have enough for the story, or you could even just dick around in the open world doing awesome things and get enough respect that way. I've never had a problem having enough respect for missions, because I was never not dicking around or doing fun activities between story missions.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Hank Morgan posted:

The quote from the article (based on some guy panicking on the Steam forums)

refers to someone gifting an already low violence version to someone else. So if someone from Australia gifts an Australian copy to someone in the States then the person in the states gets the low violence version. If you gift the regular version to someone in a low violence region that person gets the regular version since it's all tied into the software keys sold on the Steam store that the buyer uses.

What's the best vpn program for unlocking early again? Spotflux is what I think I used the last time around?

No it doesn't. ROW means Rest of World, or uncensored.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

You're right. My brain totally skipped on that part of the sentence.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Orgophlax posted:

Ah, I see. Would have been nice if the article said what ROW meant. Anyway, it's still a big leap to assume the reverse, but I see where they're coming from.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wheezle posted:

But that's not what it says in the article.

Given your avatar and the country we're talking about, you should be completely unsurprised about the prospect of a news article being wrong or badly written.

The way it's written and the 'source' he's got indicates that for all we know absolute gently caress all has changed, but it raises eyebrows that are best left un-raised and it's best to wait for the go-ahead before assuming anything about how things work.

And now on a completely different track, because someone brought up talking about our Bosses again. My boss in SR3 was dressed to fit his Wraith, so he looked like this there (SR4 remake pictured, because the bomber jacket is better).

He was based on my City of Heroes character in my avatar, but didn't get to wear stuff all that much like him. So initially I chose one that suited the non-combat stuff he wore.

...But then I saw something in one of the more recent dev diaries, in a category I didn't think of. So I went back in. I'm still not sure on the colors, maybe I should reintroduce the orangey-gold, but still.

Beep boop, bitches.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Still watching the Lowtax/Shmorky stream, and Shmorky keeps clicking the ragdoll buttons the entire time he's flipping around in insurance fraud. That's not necessary is it? Or does that actually do something?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Cleretic posted:

Given your avatar and the country we're talking about, you should be completely unsurprised about the prospect of a news article being wrong or badly written.

The way it's written and the 'source' he's got indicates that for all we know absolute gently caress all has changed, but it raises eyebrows that are best left un-raised and it's best to wait for the go-ahead before assuming anything about how things work.

Um, ok then? What I meant is that the conclusions drawn by the writer are consistent with the quote from Steam support.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Orgophlax posted:

Still watching the Lowtax/Shmorky stream, and Shmorky keeps clicking the ragdoll buttons the entire time he's flipping around in insurance fraud. That's not necessary is it? Or does that actually do something?

Makes a satisfying clicking noise all over the stream. Other than that, it's like hitting the elevator button after it's already lit up.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Wheezle posted:

Um, ok then? What I meant is that the conclusions drawn by the writer are consistent with the quote from Steam support.

Not really. Steam support said if the low violence version is gifted to a country that doesn't have the restriction, it'll convert to a ROW (or uncensored) version. Nothing about that says if a ROW version is gifted to a low violence territory, it'll convert to low violence. You have to understand PR speak is very, very literal, and no assumptions should be made.

Now I'm not saying the reverse WON'T happen, I'm simply saying there's no way to make an informed decision based on the information we're given, and anything otherwise is pure speculation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wheezle posted:

What he's saying technically has legs in a 'we have the technology' sort of way, but since that's how it's always worked for games like Left 4 Dead 2, it's not clear if it's going to work like he fears.

But because Censorship Circumvention Chat is boring, I'm going to instead change the subject and post the world's most organizationally nightmarish sex fantasy ever.

This guy has uploaded A LOT of these outfits, and they're all about what you'd think.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I'm noticing the player is losing health during Mayhem missions in SR4, yet you don't in SR3. That's kind of a pisser.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

I'm noticing the player is losing health during Mayhem missions in SR4, yet you don't in SR3. That's kind of a pisser.

Fair point. Aren't you in a vehicle?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Fair point. Aren't you in a vehicle?
No, it's the on foot ones I'm referring to.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is this out yet? Is it good?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Before I go watching it tonight is there anything spoilery in the Lowtax/Shmorky stream?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is this out yet? Is it good?

No, yes. These answers are from someone who hasn't played the game, but considering the sizable number of Saints Row fans comparing it to 2 and the non-fans calling it a great game, I feel justified in recommending it. If you need more, wait until the loving game comes out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I had kind of a lovely dream last night where I was playing Saints Row IV, but it was nothing like what the reviews suggested. The story was like 5 hours long (in my recollection of it), no super powers were used at all during the story, and they just unceremoniously dumped all the weapons on you at the very end.

Also the Dubstep Gun was a huge, purple blob that worked like one of the heavy temporary weapons from SRTT (like the minigun or Luchadore grenade launcher).

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Hank Morgan posted:

Before I go watching it tonight is there anything spoilery in the Lowtax/Shmorky stream?

I only watched about 2hrs of it, but they start at the beginning, run through the first 4 or 5 missions (which are basically introducing diversions like in SR3), then just do various diversions for a good while.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Every person who is holding off on buying this Day one seems like they are doing exactly the right thing, based on their concerns.On the other hand, I loved the poo poo out of SR3, although I had a lot of the usual complaints about abrupt missions/cutscene stuff, the actual gameplay was phenomenal. I sometimes unwind by spending a couple hours just crusing around in SR3 on the widowmaker listening to the radio and fighting people I don't think adequately respect me as leader of the saints.

It seems like a lot of people have similar levels of enjoyment from the saints games. It either is or is not exactly what you're looking for.

Also, this is just a new thread for launch, right? I had a moment of panic clicking on it when I thought it might secretly be the spoiler thread.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hank Morgan posted:

They play from start to the CID Mission that was on the Giant Bomb QL (this is the furthest press versions are allowed to stream). Lowtax blunted out two spoilers at random points, one that happens on screen 3/4 into it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Is there a Steam group for people who want to do co-op?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I still have no regrets on my Game of the Generation order, except that I'll be getting the game late. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Ars Technica didn't care for the game, apparently.

Still have my pre-order, though.

Edit: I don't know how well Ars Tech is viewed by goon mass, though. :shobon:

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 15, 2013

• Locked thread