Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

While seeing the video in my recommendations and then it turned out to not actually be available yet because apparently that's a thing Youtube does now bothered me, Binging with Babish is doing an Adventure Time special today and at least I didn't see it until it was only like 10 minutes left so that's gonna be a thing.

Video screenshot promises to take the bacon and put it in a pancake.

Edit: So yeah, that had Prismo's Artisanal Pickles, Special Sentient Sammich and Bacon Pancakes.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Dang, came here just to post that Babish vid.

Good finale.

Yay BMO!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Last episode wasn't the greatest of all and it had some flaws

but it was still the PERFECT ENDING :qq:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

sharktamer posted:

but it was still the PERFECT ENDING :qq:

Except for Betty.

I want to know why the showrunners gave her such a crappy ending? Oh, hey, you jumped through time, etc to save the man you loved & this is what you get for that devotion?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey, for all we know, being the new GOLB is a much sweeter gig than being Magic Woman.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The only episode that I really disliked was Sad Face. I was getting kind of done with the shows pretentiousness at that point and the episode is them complaining that people don't like boring, pretentious, art-house crap while being boring and pretentious. One of the few times I've actually felt like a show was slapping me across the face with its message.

But also yeah Betty wasn't a great episode simply because it was only one episode. There was absolutely no way that they could tell that story in 11 minutes and have any impact. Its exacerbated by the fact that its only a few episodes before the Lemonhope two-parter. Now I think that Lemonhope was.... interesting, but absolutely 100% Betty should have been the two-parter and Lemonhope the single. The Ice Kings plot and his relationships to Marceline and Betty were the things that elevated the show in the first place. It needed the focus worthy of it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plus the end isn’t really the end for anything that happens. Simon spent a thousand years as ice king, which was pretty harsh, but then he got turned back. Maybe something happened in the next thousand to help Betty out, or maybe the Beth/Shermy team will help her out. It’s all just a bunch of stuff that happens.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Eh for all its flaws it still managed to capture the vertigo that I feel when staring down the barrel of time waiting for the hammer to strike and consign me to oblivion.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Andrew_1985 posted:

I want to know why the showrunners gave her such a crappy ending? Oh, hey, you jumped through time, etc to save the man you loved & this is what you get for that devotion?

It honestly feels like a sadder ending for simon too. Like I am sure he ended up okay but there was years and years of progress of him learning the ice crown damaged him but he didn't have to be a villian and could have friends and be happy. There hasn't even been an episode in years of him being particularly miserable and everyone talks to him like a person now. So instead of some ending where betty is sent home and ice king gets to be ice king forever but happyer now and start to move past his past and say his goodbyes he's now suddenly simon and gets to have active guilt betty is in space hell because of him instead of her just leaving him because he yelled ice nonsense at her (or time traveled away)

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Does anyone have a link to a "clean" version of Time Adventure that doesn't have PB yelling "BMO KEEP SINGING" and Lemongrab screaming and all that? Maybe a Rebecca Sugar version if that exists.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 13, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Andrew_1985 posted:

Except for Betty.

Betty's whole thing was that she kept giving up on herself to save Simon, so it's really sad that she ended her life this way. I wish we got more confirmation that she was happy as Glob...

Militree posted:

Does anyone have a link to a "clean" version of Time Adventure that doesn't have PB yelling "BMO KEEP SINGING" and Lemongrab screaming and all that? Maybe a Rebecca Sugar version if that exists.

I know this exist on youtube and has been posted in the thread, but I am at work and cannot find it for you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Militree posted:

Here's the Sugar version.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Moriatti posted:

Betty's whole thing was that she kept giving up on herself to save Simon, so it's really sad that she ended her life this way. I wish we got more confirmation that she was happy as Glob...

I think the last few episodes with her in it she's doing stuff you are supposed to think of as objectively evil so she gets punished for it. But like, her plot arc is so abbreviated with stuff happening in like 20 seconds of screen time and the fact she's a really likeable character that you are inherently rooting to succeed that her getting punished in the end felt out of no where.

Like she straight up murders maja to summon satan and that is some material a story could write to end with someone sacrificing themselves to seal the demon to make amends for. But like, it happens in 4 seconds and is played as a goof and betty is like the most sympathetic character ever so it feels really mean to punish her. Especially since the show redeemed ice king so well beyond curing him already.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Thanks!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

In a way, Lena Dunham becoming Satan makes perfect sense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whorelord posted:

In a way, Lena Dunham becoming Satan makes perfect sense.

It was Felicia Day who became the god thing at the end, though.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

business hammocks posted:

It was Felicia Day who became the god thing at the end, though.

Well that sucks.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the last few episodes with her in it she's doing stuff you are supposed to think of as objectively evil so she gets punished for it. But like, her plot arc is so abbreviated with stuff happening in like 20 seconds of screen time and the fact she's a really likeable character that you are inherently rooting to succeed that her getting punished in the end felt out of no where.

Like she straight up murders maja to summon satan and that is some material a story could write to end with someone sacrificing themselves to seal the demon to make amends for. But like, it happens in 4 seconds and is played as a goof and betty is like the most sympathetic character ever so it feels really mean to punish her. Especially since the show redeemed ice king so well beyond curing him already.

Yeah, most people who lose loved ones wouldn't be willing to kill everyone on the planet to get them back, but Betty would through reckless endangerment. She deserved time in a 31st century mental health facility where she couldn't be a danger to herself or others before that point

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
She got her wish, tho.

e;
Wish magic is a hell of a drug. And the crown also seems to only grant "I wish I was someone else" wishes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, she transmuted the embodiment of Discord and the setting's equivalent of Satan into something less baneful. That's a huge accomplishment and kind of a shame to undo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is hunson abadeer not satan

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Hunson is just a dude who eats some souls. Not automatically Satan, Carol.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

MariusLecter posted:

She got her wish, tho.

e;
Wish magic is a hell of a drug. And the crown also seems to only grant "I wish I was someone else" wishes.

Here's a thought, though, did Gunter/Orgalorg really want to be the Ice King or did the crown revert to Gunther's wish?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

galenanorth posted:

Yeah, most people who lose loved ones wouldn't be willing to kill everyone on the planet to get them back, but Betty would through reckless endangerment. She deserved time in a 31st century mental health facility where she couldn't be a danger to herself or others before that point

Yeah, I think if you kinda think through the stuff betty did she pretty much deserved a bittersweet punishment ending but they just underdeveloped her as anything but a cool and fun character and made her scenes so short it really doesn't feel like it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Captain Splendid posted:

Here's a thought, though, did Gunter/Orgalorg really want to be the Ice King or did the crown revert to Gunther's wish?

He(She?) doesn't remember being Orgalorg right? That was the whole idea behind the episode where Gunter ascends and remember being a space horror wasn't it?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Oh, I just got that “shermy” is just the name “Jeremy Shada” flipped. If he has a last name I bet it’s jada

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zeruel posted:

Hunson is just a dude who eats some souls. Not automatically Satan, Carol.

He's also the ruler of the nightosphere, which is quite plainly hell

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Ooo has many hells, Jack.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Well, Hunson COULD be Satan because Golb is more of a chaos entity like Tiamat, Lotan, Leviathan, or Typhon or whatever.

Is Adventure Time Gnostic? You'll just have to watch my TED Talk to find out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mary had a little clam posted:

Well, Hunson COULD be Satan because Golb is more of a chaos entity like Tiamat, Lotan, Leviathan, or Typhon or whatever.

Is Adventure Time Gnostic? You'll just have to watch my TED Talk to find out.

Everything nerds make is gnostic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Someone really should chart out the cosmology of adventure time gods.

Like the litch and orgalorg are monsters from before there was nothing. Hudson is from the nightosphere hell. Grob Gob Glob Grod seems to be just a guy from mars, prismo is a dream of the last person from a dying world, cosmic owl just seems like a magic owl or something. the elementals are elementals from the dawn of life. I'm not sure what golb is. Just another monster from before there was nothing?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't the lich created by the mushroom bomb

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh I guess there's the weird comet stuff with the lich too huh

How do those two things combine again?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Another thing about the end with Betty, is that she stayed in GOLB because that was the only place the Crown was back into it's wishing form.

Except it wasn't the only place. She could have escaped with Finn and Simon and had more time to possibly make a different wish.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Another thing about the end with Betty, is that she stayed in GOLB because that was the only place the Crown was back into it's wishing form.

Except it wasn't the only place. She could have escaped with Finn and Simon and had more time to possibly make a different wish.

She said she was worried that the crown wouldn't stay in it's original form if it left Golb.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, the tragedy is ultimately she was wrong. She could have left golb to make her wish and been fine

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

Wasn't the lich created by the mushroom bomb

sweet p gives the "before there was anything there was nothing, before there was nothing there was monsters" speech that seems to include him (and orgalorg is shown) but the litch also is made out of jake from mushroom bomb goop and the evergreen comet is lich themed so it's very confusing. Just like grob seems like just a dude with a job wearing a hat while golb seems like some fundamental monster or something.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I think the implication is that the green stuff that was seen with the mushroom bombs and the green catalyst comet was GOLB's breath. It came to Earth with the comet, and was somehow eventually used in the musroom bomb, thus creating the Lich. The Lich did call itself "the last scholar of GOLB".

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Since the Finn Sword was recreated, does that mean Finn's dream world duplicate is just hanging out in a tree for a thousand years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I forgot that Cosmic Owl is in the first Ice King episode, and his appearance reeks of a one time joke. I think it's the only time he speaks

• Locked thread