Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He talks when he's with prismo

Doesn't Finn or someone have a whole episode where they're hanging out with the cosmic owl too

Isn't that how the lich is reborn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wasn't there a Cosmic Owl episode where he saw someone dreaming about a pretty lady and went in to hit on her and ended up loving up the whole dreamscape somehow? I'm like 80% sure I didn't just dream that.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Both of you guys are talking about the one where he finds out Gunther is a powerful dream being which ends up foreshadowing Orgalorg a little but not very well.

E: Season 6, Episode 36 Hoots according to my google search.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KennyMan666 posted:

The Lich did call itself "the last scholar of GOLB".

Oh yeah!

I feel most unsure of what GOLB is. Name and design wise he seems to go with Grob Gob Glob Grod, but that guy seems very obviously just an unremarkable mars guy with a fancy hat, he doesn't seem special or immortal or anything on the level of any of the other powerful beings.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GGGG seemed pretty powerful. His helmet alone was something magic man was gonna do some funky poo poo with until Betty turned the tables on him and stole his powers. Seemed like he was Abraham Lincoln's big enforcer guy, a big hunk of muscle to throw around whenever dangerous people like magic man or the comet needed containing.

Also if we're talking about gods maybe ol' Abraham should get a shout out. His appearance before death was brief but hoo boy did he do some crazy stuff

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

Doesn't Finn or someone have a whole episode where they're hanging out with the cosmic owl too

Isn't that how the lich is reborn?

Jake chills with Prismo and Cosmic Owl in the Finn the Human/Jake the Dog 2-parter. CO says Jake shouldn't be there but Prismo gets him to chill.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

GGGG seemed pretty powerful. His helmet alone was something magic man was gonna do some funky poo poo with until Betty turned the tables on him and stole his powers. Seemed like he was Abraham Lincoln's big enforcer guy, a big hunk of muscle to throw around whenever dangerous people like magic man or the comet needed containing.

I'm not claiming I could beat him in a fight or anything. He just doesn't seem like a cosmic entity the way some of the others do. Like it's magic man's brother who is a couple hundred years old instead of a fundamental force of the universe or older than time or anything.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I like that the cosmic owl appears to you when something prophetic and significant is dreamt.

He just straight up tells Iceking "You're a sociopath."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not claiming I could beat him in a fight or anything. He just doesn't seem like a cosmic entity the way some of the others do. Like it's magic man's brother who is a couple hundred years old instead of a fundamental force of the universe or older than time or anything.

I mean GGGG doesn't really seem to have any peers. He seems like a demigod of sorts, far above most any characters but a step down from the primary forces of nature. Kind of like the lich vs golb

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

I mean GGGG doesn't really seem to have any peers. He seems like a demigod of sorts, far above most any characters but a step down from the primary forces of nature. Kind of like the lich vs golb

Yeah, in dragon ball terms he seems like piccolo, the strongest alien of a race of aliens where everyone is far stronger than humans. But he's rarely anything toe to toe with the cosmic level entities. Like he's real strong but he's got brothers and family and stuff, he wasn't born out of the fabric of the universe or from beyond time or anything.

It's interesting that golb seems like he is a cosmic level entity since he is name and design related to GGGG but seems like a totally separate thing. Did GGGG copy him? did golb make the GGGG helmet? Is Golb their secret 6th brother?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, in dragon ball terms he seems like piccolo, the strongest alien of a race of aliens where everyone is far stronger than humans. But he's rarely anything toe to toe with the cosmic level entities. Like he's real strong but he's got brothers and family and stuff, he wasn't born out of the fabric of the universe or from beyond time or anything.

It's interesting that golb seems like he is a cosmic level entity since he is name and design related to GGGG but seems like a totally separate thing. Did GGGG copy him? did golb make the GGGG helmet? Is Golb their secret 6th brother?

The 6th brother from the 6th something in the 6th something something. :tinfoil:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Grob Gob Glob Grod is covered with Golb imagery because that dude (those dudes?) has all sorts of magical destiny going on, that just rarely intersects with Finn's story.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

I like that the cosmic owl appears to you when something prophetic and significant is dreamt.

He just straight up tells Iceking "You're a sociopath."

He doesn't just appear there, his presence means that the dream is a prophecy. He appears in what turns out to be one of the penguin dreams when he wasn't supposed to, and causes one of them to slip, fall, and embarrass themselves because it happened in a dream. It seems he's also partly responsible for the whole Elementals thing, as he was forced into a dream by Gunter/Orgalorg/the peacock and made the candy kingdom melt into gum just like it later happened.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bongo Bill posted:

Grob Gob Glob Grod is covered with Golb imagery because that dude (those dudes?) has all sorts of magical destiny going on, that just rarely intersects with Finn's story.

I forgot that golb killed margles. So I guess he actively hangs around the martians, so I guess them having the same hat makes some sense.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Doesn't quad G have another dimension they rule over?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

GOLB appears briefly (and for the first time) when Finn dies of old age in Puhoy and flies through the great beyond. So whatever he is, he typically chills out beyond death and time and reality and all that.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

misadventurous posted:

GOLB appears briefly (and for the first time) when Finn dies of old age in Puhoy and flies through the great beyond. So whatever he is, he typically chills out beyond death and time and reality and all that.

It makes sense for the anti-god of discord and entropy, the end of all things, to show up at the death of a pocket dream universe thing.

I wonder if anyone fused with GOLB before Betty, if his nature changes with a larger cosmic cycle than the 1000-year one that we see.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man, season 1 is such a crazy different light hearted show its truly bonkers. Algebraic and mathematical.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I've been a long time fan of the show. I passed the original short around, checked back in on the series every few years until last week when I started season 7 for the first time. Finished the show yesterday... and I cried... but you didn't see me cry.

I'll be reading this thread until the hole left in my heart heals.

Anyone have a link to the weird metaphysical web comic from the AT storyboarder/maybe writer? I want to see it again after all the catalyst comet / butterfly / Shoko reincarnation bits.

Also, do any of the comics/tweets or other materials go into what the heck all the dead world dimensions are or were about? The wiki lists all the canon mentions. I'm familiar with the D&D cosmologies and Dante's Inferno and know that they were inspirations, but I'd be happy to hear about any supplemental material.

Finally, has anyone seen any BMO projects? I just want a reason to hear "Yay, BMO!" more often.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Forming" is the name of the webcomic you seek, I am pretty sure.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

RossMan4Life posted:

I've been a long time fan of the show. I passed the original short around, checked back in on the series every few years until last week when I started season 7 for the first time. Finished the show yesterday... and I cried... but you didn't see me cry.

I'll be reading this thread until the hole left in my heart heals.

Anyone have a link to the weird metaphysical web comic from the AT storyboarder/maybe writer? I want to see it again after all the catalyst comet / butterfly / Shoko reincarnation bits.

Also, do any of the comics/tweets or other materials go into what the heck all the dead world dimensions are or were about? The wiki lists all the canon mentions. I'm familiar with the D&D cosmologies and Dante's Inferno and know that they were inspirations, but I'd be happy to hear about any supplemental material.

Finally, has anyone seen any BMO projects? I just want a reason to hear "Yay, BMO!" more often.

the webcomic you're talking about is Forming, from Jesse Moynihan (who was a storyboard artist from season 2 to season 7, notable for writing the outlines to a lot of his season 5-7 episodes)

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Hell yeah, thanks guys.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Someone really should chart out the cosmology of adventure time gods.

Like the litch and orgalorg are monsters from before there was nothing. Hudson is from the nightosphere hell. Grob Gob Glob Grod seems to be just a guy from mars, prismo is a dream of the last person from a dying world, cosmic owl just seems like a magic owl or something. the elementals are elementals from the dawn of life. I'm not sure what golb is. Just another monster from before there was nothing?

listen dude they don't matter they all suck compared to werewolf queen its ALWAYS werewolf queen!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's Games Bookstore, guys.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
I like how Fern takes the form of a bear briefly while fighting Finn in the finale. The theme of bears and fighting bears as one of the benchmarks of heroism comes up several times throughout the series. It's there in Billy's theme song, it's in Shelby & Kent's song ("together we could probably fight a bear"), and of course the episode with the bear usurping Finn. I feel like there are a couple of other examples I can't think of atm, but if you look for them, they're there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Last night I got high and binged the last episodes of Adventure Time. What a wonderful send-off, lots of loose ends tied up. I figured for a while that it would end with the Ice King going back to normal.

It's truly the end of an era for Cartoon Network.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
In the episode with the Cosmic Owl and Gunther I think the dream that that got screwed up was prophesying Princess Bubblegum's downfall into earwax, which was the King of Ooo claiming the kingdom (same color anyways, if I remember right). Not so much the destruction of the Candy Kingdom, but her losing the crown for a while. Of course the kingdom falls eventually, but I don't think that dream was related to it.

Also I can't help but wonder if like someone said on the last page the crown actually did revert, and Gunther got Ice King'd just like everyone before him. Did the jewels on the crown change color before or after she put it on?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/MrMuto/status/1047266170104045568

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Can confirm: the Zine owns

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

As Nero Danced posted:

Also I can't help but wonder if like someone said on the last page the crown actually did revert, and Gunther got Ice King'd just like everyone before him. Did the jewels on the crown change color before or after she put it on?

I absolutely took it as gunther wishing to be ice king, instead of the original wish to be evergreen wish since he also got some drums out of it. It seemed like a new wish that just happened to be functionally identical to the old one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If you get very :goonsay:, there's kind of a happy ending with Betty and Simon.

It looks like the Ice Crown makes some kind of mind-copy of whomever wears it, so there's a Simon and a Betty in there living weird digital magic people lives.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

ninjewtsu posted:

And Prismo blows Jake's mind telling him about how wishes can have terrible consequences, and Jake barfs in the hot tub :lol:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Having just rewatched Season 1, here's some random observations:

- I forgot all the things they used to do that was part of the Adventure Time style, that they phased out. These include saying "Adventure Time!" with the title popping up (or making a joke out of it), Finn's body being all loosey-goosey, and close-ups of a distorted, ugly, hilarious Finn face
- BMO doesn't speak at all until the Donny episode, making me think originally he was just a Game Boy. His first line is "I don't have emotions, but --" which obviously flies in the face of later characterization
- In a flashback Marcy is the in sun, oops
- In the businessman episode Finn isn't afraid of the ocean
- PB acts way more immature and like a teenager, I guess they hadn't decided she was thousands of years old yet

Still amazing, wonderful and crazy creative show. I love it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Big Taint posted:

The only thing I didn’t like about AT was the scheduling of the last couple seasons, wtf CN.

Awesome finale, can’t wait to rewatch the whole shebang. Looking forward to King BMO spin-off.

This is a fine note.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

a mysterious cloak posted:

And Prismo blows Jake's mind telling him about how wishes can have terrible consequences, and Jake barfs in the hot tub :lol:

I always loved that the sandwich Jake was going to waste his wish on had some terrible consequences as well.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the future part of the ending was kinda bleak

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The future itself isn't all bleak

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Literally Jake's ancestors

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Alan_Shore posted: