Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

I'm not much of a MMO player, honestly, so I could barely care less about end game content. If just reaching the level cap is some fun and viable solo, that's good enough for me.

Hell, I probably wouldn't be looking into this at all if it weren't for the absolute loving dearth of fourth edition D&D video games otherwise. :smith:

The thing is though is that this game is really just D&D in name only, along with a few familiar things that D&D is the most well known for. :( It's fun! But I have a hard time calling it a true D&D game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So what new Foundry features did they add with Feywild? Can I make real boss fights now? Are Gelatinous Cubes usable yet?

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011
Wondering... does the free respec from the last patch expires at some point or does it last until used?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

nictigre03 posted:

Wondering... does the free respec from the last patch expires at some point or does it last until used?
It just gets replaced by the next free one, I believe.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

The thing is though is that this game is really just D&D in name only, along with a few familiar things that D&D is the most well known for. :( It's fun! But I have a hard time calling it a true D&D game.

That's 4E for you :haw:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

I said come in! posted:

When it comes to D&D games those days, you gotta take what you can get. :v: I really can't stand the pre-fourth editions anyway, so that's an added bonus. It looks like the Arc client can actually download the game properly now too, so I'll be giving it a shot soon.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

peak debt posted:

That's 4E for you :haw:

:getout:

And yeah, I really wish there was a 4e tactics game. But given how Atari did nothing with the license and Next's upcoming release, it looks like we're SOL on that front.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
So after a few false starts because :byodood: pubbies :byodood: I completed the new dungeon today. It was pretty fun! Decently hard without being totally bullshit. That is, until the final boss, where every wandered off underneath the map and totally glitched it out. I, as a lowly melee guy, got to stand around on a wall I wasn't supposed to be on and watch its health bar slowly chip down. :cryptic:

All in all though I'm really liking Sharandar, even though it's artificially limited in how much content you get to do in a day. My favorite are the witches because they can turn you into a pig.

And everything is so pink and sparkly! My girly side is so tickled all the time. Pinku sparkle elfs and unicorns and fairies :allears:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So are dungeon bosses still just a long slog with no mechanics other than "MORE ADDS"?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

So are dungeon bosses still just a long slog with no mechanics other than "MORE ADDS"?

Yep, more or less. Wouldn't expect Cryptic to ever fix this, they almost never do balance changes.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

I said come in! posted:

Yep, more or less. Wouldn't expect Cryptic to ever fix this, they almost never do balance changes.

This isn't true at all. Even Champions Online in its underfunded and chronically abused manifestation received half a dozen massive balance changes. And that's not counting the fact that they regularly redid every power set.

The real determining factor is who is doing the changes. If the guy in charge of content production is someone like Gozer, those changes might not be something you want to see. Likewise, if the person involved on that end is a lazy poo poo or underfunded (Read: Atari era Cryptic.) the changes might not be noticeable. This is because Cryptic seems to give a lot of leeway to their devs to handle things their own way.

The general motto for Cryptic games is "lovely for about a year, good to great from then on". Even CO saw huge increases in its playability about a year after release. It was just that Atari was fully into their "crush the Cryptic Studios properties, hear the lamentations of their consumers, and see our stockholders driven before us" mentality by that point.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 29, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
So this summer festival is launching in 5 minutes, right? I'm hoping it is possible to get a mount for cheap. I'm level 23 and only have 2g to my name, so even getting the starter mount is seemingly loving impossible for now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Richard M Nixon posted:

So this summer festival is launching in 5 minutes, right? I'm hoping it is possible to get a mount for cheap. I'm level 23 and only have 2g to my name, so even getting the starter mount is seemingly loving impossible for now.

Man, I'm sitting on 170 gold I don't know what to do with, what server are you on?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

Man, I'm sitting on 170 gold I don't know what to do with, what server are you on?

Mindflayer, stuck in the rotting corpse of Something Lawful.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Oh my god you guys the summer festival is awesome. All herding pigs and picking flowers and stuff! And there's a whole new crafting thing where you get to make like fruit compotes or whatever. :3:

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So that's what that is.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Richard M Nixon posted:

Mindflayer, stuck in the rotting corpse of Something Lawful.

Hmm, sorry I'm on Dragon server, wonder if the great server unification is coming anytime soon.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Semisponge posted:

Oh my god you guys the summer festival is awesome. All herding pigs and picking flowers and stuff! And there's a whole new crafting thing where you get to make like fruit compotes or whatever. :3:

The herding is fun. People were raging fairly consistently that their pigs and chickens were being blocked by players, making the timers elapse. Especially fun for the golden chicken.

Killing the invading trolls is pretty tough, as the lovely kill credit system means that everyone is going 'NOW!' and firing at a mob trying to get the point for killing it. Some miniboss apparently appears somewhere, but I've yet to find out where it is. Those little flower guardians are surprisingly tough for lower level players.

Any information on how often the mount-purchasing currency is available? Do I have to play every day for all 20 days without fail to get the pig mount? (it's pretty :krad: and I want it).

Don Tacorleone posted:

Hmm, sorry I'm on Dragon server, wonder if the great server unification is coming anytime soon.

Never! :pwe:

Edit: How does XP penalty for grouping with higher levels work? Is there a curve at some point or does it just get cut off?

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 30, 2013

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

How does XP penalty for grouping with higher levels work? Is there a curve at some point or does it just get cut off?

The larger portion of exp comes from quest reward turn-ins which are utterly unaffected by whoever you team with so you can get a level 60 friend a motor through stuff if you really want to. You might eventually hit a point where you can't accept the next quest because you haven't hit the required level yet. You can just go faceplant around in pvp for exp to get over these occasional humps.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Railgun posted:

The larger portion of exp comes from quest reward turn-ins which are utterly unaffected by whoever you team with so you can get a level 60 friend a motor through stuff if you really want to. You might eventually hit a point where you can't accept the next quest because you haven't hit the required level yet. You can just go faceplant around in pvp for exp to get over these occasional humps.

I didn't realize mob XP was so low, thanks.

Is there a way I can make a separate window for the combat log so I can look at it while I kill poo poo?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

Any information on how often the mount-purchasing currency is available? Do I have to play every day for all 20 days without fail to get the pig mount? (it's pretty :krad: and I want it).

The blue-ribbon pig requires you to talk to the main quest lady for 15 days. You don't actually have to do any of the activities, those are for earning petals (for part of the fashion clothes, waterskin, or weapons) or for crafting stuff (for the other parts of the clothes, or the food consumables if you want them).

There's also an armoured boar for 10 days, and you can buy extra tokens with trade bars if you're willing to open some lockboxes.

I've also noticed a couple of gameplay things

1) CW skill sudden storm will now crit, making it pretty awesome for damage.
2) Singularity, and maybe other control powers that fling stuff through the air (sunburst and shield pulse, mainly) cause the first Frozen Heart boss to spawn a ridiculous number of trolls. Normally there are only like 5.

I think the same thing applies to the second boss as well. I was half-way through killing it when 3 party members disconnected, leaving me (DC) and a CW, and we we're able to finish killing it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I feel like a bad guild mate, as I've been so busy, I haven't logged on in a week or so. I'll try to get some done this weekend.

Are the new dungeons queueable after you unlock them, or do you have to form manual groups? I am so behind on my tank.

Aramek fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 30, 2013

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Aramek posted:

I feel like a bad guild mate, as I've been so busy, I haven't logged on in a week or so. I'll try to get some done this weekend.

Are the new dungeons queueable after you unlock them, or do you have to form manual groups? I am so behind on my tank.

You can't press k and join. It takes like 2 days to get together the various nonsense you need to unlock it. I would like to do it with a goon group because I do like the boss fights a lot and hiding under the map sounds like the worst. Maybe if we couldn't beat it normally it would be ok.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I'm going to be gone over the weekend so I won't be around for dungeons unfortunately.

Also the latest patch either broke the screenshot function or changed where they're saved. Has anyone seen any mention of this/possible solutions anywhere?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Semisponge posted:

Also the latest patch either broke the screenshot function or changed where they're saved. Has anyone seen any mention of this/possible solutions anywhere?
I took a screenshot literally a little over twenty minutes ago; it was stored in Neverwinter_en/Neverwinter/live/screenshots for me. Dunno if that helps!

Anyway, I've played an hour or two so far and the game is...alright, I guess? Quest dialogue apparently being fully voiced is a little jarring considering the actual talking animations seem :effort: at best. Using the Forgotten Realms setting as it does I suppose it's only right for it to feel a little generic even to someone who can count the number of MMOs he's ever played on one hand. :v: It's also mildly laggy, which is disappointing. So far blocking/evading attacks and the like has been doable, but if the timing gets more unforgiving later on I don't think I'll be having a very good time with it (pun intended).

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Semisponge posted:

I'm going to be gone over the weekend so I won't be around for dungeons unfortunately.

Just install fraps (its free) and get that to take screenshots, speaking of which I used a lot of my ad to get the new outfit

MMAgCh posted:

It's also mildly laggy, which is disappointing. So far blocking/evading attacks and the like has been doable, but if the timing gets more unforgiving later on I don't think I'll be having a very good time with it (pun intended).

It doesn't get excessively so ever although it surely does get harder in the 5 man dungeons which are the real highlight of the game

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 31, 2013

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Have great weapon fighters received any significant buffs since launch?

Josy
Oct 30, 2007
I dont want a baby avatar
So, I tried to search for The Terrible Secret of Neverwinter in the guild search and I didn't see it. I did join the channel. Yes I am on Mindflayer server. Did everyone leave?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Harrower posted:

Have great weapon fighters received any significant buffs since launch?

Yes, quite a few. They became FOTM for a while. Pretty sure they are currently preferred over rogues in dungeons.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Anyone else completely unable to login or go to the homepage?

E: Well now it's working. Still lovely.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 2, 2013

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Welp, after finally getting 4/4 Stalwart Bulwark, they changed the set bonus to be pretty worthless. Time to get completely new gear. :suicide:

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.

Aramek posted:

Welp, after finally getting 4/4 Stalwart Bulwark, they changed the set bonus to be pretty worthless. Time to get completely new gear. :suicide:

What are you planning on replacing it with? I need new armor also but haven't looked at the other sets yet.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I was planning on replacing it by playing a class that is actually fun, like my rogue trapped on Beholder. :argh:

But seriously, I don't actually know. I don't know what is good. :(

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I made a rogue and got it to 60 and I still don't know how to make it fun. :psyduck:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Because you stab enemies to death and make giant numbers come out!

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I dunno I don't have any good gear so the most I can do is like a 10k crit on Lashing Blade. And I'm not feated for Shocking Execution because Railgun would never forgive me, bless his soul.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I made my rogue experience tolerable by trying out a permastealth build with the +stealth time armor set.

So, uh, you're hosed now I guess.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I just hit 60 with my rogue today and I've been finding the class pretty fun. I haven't quite managed to reach perma-invisibility yet, at least not reliably, but between Shadow Strike, Bait & Switch, Lurker's Assault, Gloaming Cut, and all the feat points I invested into being invisible for as long as possible I can stay in stealth for a good long time if I get the right start. Plus the damage output has been really nice and I like that I can move faster on foot than on a horse.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 4, 2013

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, after I respecced to a stealth build my rogue has been really fun to play again, and I don't die nearly as much as I used to. Though, that may have something to do with starting on the long and ardious task to upgrade my cleric. Still, it's way too expencive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Datasmurf posted:

Yeah, after I respecced to a stealth build my rogue has been really fun to play again, and I don't die nearly as much as I used to. Though, that may have something to do with starting on the long and ardious task to upgrade my cleric. Still, it's way too expencive.

I actually ended up ditching my cleric entirely because in solo content at least having her around just gave the mobs something to target and opened me up to getting winged by area damage.

• Locked thread