Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

ONE OF THE GODDAMNED EGGS IS PIPPING. FOUR DAYS EARLY. :argh:

It is, OF COURSE, a bantam egg, #38, laid by Olive, our little gray bantam Cochin hen. I only stopped turning eggs today, this shouldn't be happening yet.

And, you ask, is the brooder box ready? FUUUUUUCK NO. Now I have to grab lunch and sit and whack together a great huge box as fast as I can. If the chick hatches too early I'm bringing in Sophie and letting her mother it until more chicks hatch. Not starting the cam yet, I will if more eggs start to pip, though. I don't see Little Miss Fashionably Early Hellspawn unzipping yet, just the initial pip. The other eggs are rocking, though.

What the HELL is with the chicken drama of some sort or another every freakin' year?! :suicide:

Edit: Aha--Inveigle, you hexed it!

Here, LOOK at this damned little Hellspawn:

#38, top left. The other eggs surrounding it with the black dots on the end are the others due to hatch on Friday, #5, 36, 37, 39 and 40. I really hope it stops right where it is, since it should not be developed enough to survive at 18 days. You *need* 21 days to be fully cooked, ya dumb uppity banty!

The kicker: We just got back from seeing the kid off to a 4 day FFA convention she's supposed to be back from on Friday, she may miss the hatch. She's gonna be PISSED.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Name it blush because that's what people do when they come too early.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You can do it 38! :woop:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

She's breathing through the pip, I can see her lil' beak. :)

VVVV You asked if the brooder box was ready. You hexed it. Thanks, Obama.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 18, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Where's da web cam? We want to seeeee!!!

Also, please let Sophie be a mom! :D

I hexed it? What did I do? :( :D

Also: Since I am getting blamed, then I get to name it! :D

EDIT: COME ON 38!!!!! :dance:

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 17, 2015

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
chill out egg we havent even subbed names yet

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Who went and told 38 that the early bird gets the worm! <:mad:>

..name it Early Bird.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Earl for short.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
yay! baby chickies!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nettle Soup posted:

Earl for short.

Earl Eggbert Birb.

Or Earl E. Birb.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
YASS BABIES!!! C'mon Thirty-Eight!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Go go go, early bird!

If the other chicks are coming in a few days, is it time to start throwing names into the hat? Are we doing that again this year?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#38 for now seems content to remain in her egg and give me time to build the thrice-damned brooder box. I figure I'll finish it around midnight, haha. We were supposed to go out for sushi tonight dammit, instead I'm wrestling huge chunks of cardboard, breaking off fingernails and cutting myself on the wire window. :mad: This chicken is interfering with SUSHI.

I'm glad the chick isn't hatching yet, since she needs time in the egg to finish up making a chicken. I'm calling rooster on that chick right freakin' now.

I'll start the GBS thread when hatching starts to progress, and yes, you guys can submit names and we'll draw from the hat. Feel free to start tossing out names here if you want and I'll start making a list.

The kid is at a 4 day FFA conference till Friday night, so she won't be drawing names for any that hatch before then, 12_String and I will do it.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
For number 38, Earl. E. Bird. Earlina, if it turns out to be a hen.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
Chick name hat! Ground floor!

Wife suggestion is Bubblegum (Bubbles for short, if there isn't a bubbles)

Mine, if i can do two, is Wash. A leaf on the wind.

Magnatux fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 18, 2015

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

As I've been luck enough to name two before, I asked my room mate what he would like. He nominates the name Buckles :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I choose the name "Agnes." :)

COME ON BABY CHICKS!!! GET COOKIN'!!!! :dance:

SavoyMarionette
May 23, 2007
I speak only the truth.
Oooo I've never been early enough for this before. I throw in Gabriel, since you actually ended up using my first choice last year by coincidence :)

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Jean. In honor of my grandmother, who was buried 1 week ago Tuesday. 92 years old; never used a microwave.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

A second egg has pipped, #40--another banty egg. Neither one has progressed beyond pipping, so I really doubt they will go any further tonight. But I'll set up the cam and start it before I got to bed, just in case! When I start the cam I'll start the GBS thread.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Submitting Eureka as usual :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I'll go with the name Here Kitty Kitty.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Going with Moo

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Oh, I'm actually in time for this?

I'll throw down Fran(z) Ferdinand. Keep or toss the z pending on gender.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Okey-Doke.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Here's hoping for a keeper from my Jellybean, named Marshamllow (Fluff).
YAAAAAY CHICKAM!

edit: changing name

ApathyGirl fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 18, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We were supposed to go out for sushi tonight dammit, instead I'm wrestling huge chunks of cardboard, breaking off fingernails and cutting myself on the wire window. :mad: This chicken is interfering with SUSHI.

If #38 hatches out okay, you should name her "Sushi." :D

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

If #38 hatches out okay, you should name her "Sushi." :D

I like this--!

We already have a Fran (one of the 12 year old fossilized Frizzle Cochin bantam mixes), and have had a Peep in the past, so can't got with those, sorry.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
Oh man I picked a good time to check up on this thread by the looks! :dance:

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Oh, alright then. That was the best name I could think of, so I'll leave it to everybody else to make good names.

Edit: VVV Or I'll go with that, actually. :sweatdrop:

Ferdinand is good.

Ice_Mallet fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 18, 2015

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Ice_Mallet posted:

Oh, alright then. That was the best name I could think of, so I'll leave it to everybody else to make good names.

How about Ferdinand or Ferdie? Chickens are very well suited for silly names... :)

It's 2:30AM and I'm going to bed, so I'm going to go ahead and start the cam and GBS thread now. Shift all further name suggestions & such to that thread, please!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 18, 2015

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Will this finally be the year of Charizard?

I hope so I submit the name every year after all.

Edit: missed the edit above, will post there too. Just looked at GBS thread...

Zaran fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 18, 2015

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Such early pippers! I think, this year, I'll submit Shao Kahn.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Link to Chickam 2015 thread on GBS: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707110

Post your names over there!

Only ONE name suggestion per goon, please! Don't make things confusing for VS!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I nominate NotaRoo for a chick this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Name one Tissue!

• Locked thread