Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

For anyone interested, I will be candling the eggs in the incubator tomorrow night, Friday, around 11PM PST and will webcast it on the UStream Chickam channel, http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008 for those of you who want to play along at home. Hopefully I'll be able to see embryos starting and will cull any eggs that have not begun to develop.

Eggs for Hatch B will be set Friday & Saturday morning. Hatch B will be a smaller hatch, maybe a dozen eggs set.

Good luck for a full incubator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

How very eggciting! Come on fluffybutt chicks! :D

When are the hatch dates again? :henget:

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

For anyone interested, I will be candling the eggs in the incubator tomorrow night, Friday, around 11PM PST and will webcast it on the UStream Chickam channel, http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008 for those of you who want to play along at home. Hopefully I'll be able to see embryos starting and will cull any eggs that have not begun to develop.

Eggs for Hatch B will be set Friday & Saturday morning. Hatch B will be a smaller hatch, maybe a dozen eggs set.

So exciting! :neckbeard: I caught the candling the year before last, and it was really interesting! I hope I can stay up for it this year.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Inveigle posted:

How very eggciting! Come on fluffybutt chicks! :D

When are the hatch dates again? :henget:

Hatch A March 20-21, Hatch B March 27-28.

I'm not sure how much will be visible during candling since it'll only have been 7 days since incubation started...

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

I'm getting ready to candle the eggs, broadcasting on the UStream channel. Not sure how much I'll be able to see, but gonna give it a shot.

The cam is being obnoxious, so it's taking me a minute.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Edit: OK, it's working! Candling 43 eggs, I can only take a few out at a time so it'll take a bit.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 7, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Woooo! Eggies! :D

I like your running commentary about the eggs and potential babies.

Can you actually see the chicks moving around inside the eggs?

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 7, 2015

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Woooo! Eggies! :D

I like your running commentary about the eggs and potential babies.

Can you actually see the chicks moving around inside the eggs?

Aw, didn't the moving chicks come through on the cam? Dang it...well, they are only 7 days old, so next time I candle in 10 days you'll really be able to see them. :)

19 Embryos for sure so far out of 43 eggs! There well might be more, it was hard to tell on some of the eggs, and some had REALLY dark shells. The shipped eggs seem to have a low viability count, but that's to be expected with shipped eggs. One of them has a detached air cell (thanks USPS for the rough handling).

But I did see for sure 7 embryos in the shipped eggs, 1 is an Americanaus mix, 3 are Easter Egger mixes 1 is possibly a Salmon Faverolle mix and and the other 3 possibly Cuckoo Marans mixes.

For our eggs, there are12 embryos: 3 Americaunas, 2 Barred Rock, one mystery egg and SIX banty eggs.

Pie (Rambo the buff Brahma's, daughter), Alice (the Barred Rock hen that we got as a nearly-dead, wounded freebie chick from Tractor Supply last year) and Olive (bantam Cochin) are all gonna be mommas! :neckbeard:

I'm worried about Pie's egg though, it has a pretty significant dent in it that I sealed with clear nail polish...it didn't go through the membrane, just the shell...but we'll just have to see how it goes.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Aw, didn't the moving chicks come through on the cam? Dang it...well, they are only 7 days old, so next time I candle in 10 days you'll really be able to see them. :)

It was sort of hard to see what was inside the eggs. Between the glare of the light; the movement of the eggs since you were handling/rolling them; and the low-res image (caused by the low light conditions over most of the frame), it was a bit hard to see the chick embryos. I recorded a bit of the candling and will have to go back and check the video again to see.

Thanks for web camming the candling. It was interesting to watch. Once again, I had forgotten my Ustream chat password, so I couldn't log into the chat.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

19 Embryos for sure so far out of 43 eggs! There well might be more, it was hard to tell on some of the eggs, and some had REALLY dark shells. The shipped eggs seem to have a low viability count, but that's to be expected with shipped eggs. One of them has a detached air cell (thanks USPS for the rough handling).

But I did see for sure 7 embryos in the shipped eggs, 1 is an Americanaus mix, 3 are Easter Egger mixes 1 is possibly a Salmon Faverolle mix and and the other 3 possibly Cuckoo Marans mixes.

For our eggs, there are12 embryos: 3 Americaunas, 2 Barred Rock, one mystery egg and SIX banty eggs.

Pie (Rambo the buff Brahma's, daughter), Alice (the Barred Rock hen that we got as a nearly-dead, wounded freebie chick from Tractor Supply last year) and Olive (bantam Cochin) are all gonna be mommas! :neckbeard:

I'm worried about Pie's egg though, it has a pretty significant dent in it that I sealed with clear nail polish...it didn't go through the membrane, just the shell...but we'll just have to see how it goes.

As Inveigle said, it was a bit tough to see some of the action. There were a few times when I could see a wisp of veining, and I could see a bit of movement with the very first live embryo that you saw. I only listened to the second half because I was starting to doze off (stupid EST).

I tried to catch a screen grab of the veining, but I was too slow.

Thank you so much! It's always such an educational experience!

luloo123 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 7, 2015

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
dagnabbit I forgot to set my alarm to wake me at midnight! Hope there will be a next time?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

No, I don't think I have a problem...

GUYS, I SWEAR I CAN STOP ANYTIME.

...OK, maybe not.
Hatch A and B are in the ReptiPro. I'll candle again on Monday night and cull any eggs from Hatch A that haven't begun to develop, it'll be the 10 day mark for them. I'll candle all of the eggs on the 17th and cull again. I'll try and webcam both candlings, I'll also do it a bit earlier in the evening, probably around 9PM PST.

Edit: Hatch B ended up being 19 eggs, Jellybean laid an egg at the last minute yesterday so I added it!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 7, 2015

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

:henget: :henget: :henget:

That Morehens disease is so contagious I hear!

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I feel like this must be where Powerball came from...

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Do you have to increase the temperature in the Reptipro to make up for all the extra eggs you've added? I'm worried now that they aren't getting enough...heat? air? It just seems awfully crowded in there.

I guess you have plenty of room in your backyard to build yet another coop and run. :D

Come on Bloop babies! :D

Oh...also...are any of the Frizzle, Sizzle, Silkie eggs developing?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The ReptiPro handles the egg stacking thing beautifully. It gets back up to proper temp/humidity settings so quickly after you open the door that according to other people using it, it does just fine like this. I didn't change the temp settings, I just left it alone and allowed it to bring the new eggs up to speed over the course of an hour.

The racks the eggs are resting on are a big grid with large openings, so heat/air circulate freely.

I think that all of the shipped eggs have the same daddy, a partridge Silkie named 'Bill'. :keke: So all of the chicks from the shipped eggs should have some Silkie in them. I did cull egg #4, the one with the detached air cell. I did a breakout on it to see what was up inside, it was pretty scrambled and never would have developed, but it was fertile so Bill's doin' his thing!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Candled all of the eggs tonight, both Hatch A & B.

Culled 22 eggs from Hatch A that had not developed at all (it's been 10 days for them and they would have started by now). I'll do a breakout on them later to see if there are any overt problems and if they are fertile.

I saw 23 Embryos in the Hatch A eggs, 7 embryos in the 18 Hatch B eggs! I left ALL of the Hatch B eggs in since it's only been a few days for them, more may develop. Out of the 23 Hatch A embryos, 8 of the shipped eggs have embryos, all of the rest for Hatch A & B are eggs from our own chickens.

:siren: Eleven days till baby chicks! :siren:

:woop:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hahaha! I can hardly wait for adorable baby chick cuteness! :henget:

Any good broodies yet? :D

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Hahaha! I can hardly wait for adorable baby chick cuteness! :henget:

Any good broodies yet? :D

No broodies yet...they are getting all cranked up over egglaying though, so it's only a matter of time. I've got the fake eggs in the nests to encourage broody thoughts...Rambo is kinda-sorta thinking about it.

Pretty sure we are going to rehome both Buzzard and Cowbell very soon, it's just too many rooboys and it's upsetting the girls. They are spending all of their time running from roos. :mad:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yay eggs! :D

I can't wait to see what comes out this year, you have some neat mixes going on!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

:siren: Final candling and embryo count! :siren:

OK, so for both hatches, one for this coming week (the 20th & 21st) and next week (the 26th & 27th) we have a total of 35 embryos! :derp:

It breaks down like this: For Hatch A, this coming Friday & Saturday, there are 20 Embryos, 6 hatching Friday the 20th (Group A) and 14 hatching Saturday the 21st (Group 2).

For Hatch B, next week, there are 15 Embryos, 8 hatching Friday the 26th (Group 1), and 7 hatching Saturday the 27th (Group 2). Just to liven things up a bit, one of the eggs (it's gigantic!) may be a double yolker and have TWO embryos, I'll have to watch it. Also, there are two additional eggs in Group 2 that I'm unsure of, and may hatch, adding to the ridiculous pile of chickens.

Not all of the embryos may make it, so the final hatch may be smaller, but so far everything is going smoothly.

We have ONE broody hen right now...it's Sophie, the little Sicilian Buttercup/bantam Cochin mix hen...and no, she can't possibly cover all the chicks so she cannot be mama. :( Still hoping one of the big Cochin or Brahma girls will go broody before the hatch, though! The entire flock is full-on Springtime twitterpated so there's a chance.

Holy crap. Pardon me, gotta go and build a *BIG* brooder box.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Just to liven things up a bit, one of the eggs (it's gigantic!) may be a double yolker and have TWO embryos, I'll have to watch it.

If all goes well, would tha give two chicks (possibly with an evil twin) in an egg or one enormo chick?

I'm not one to wish my life away, but I can't wait for hatching time.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I'm so excited! Baby chicks soon!

:toot:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I can't wait! Chickam is the highlight of my easter time :dance:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

spookygonk posted:

If all goes well, would tha give two chicks (possibly with an evil twin) in an egg or one enormo chick?

I'm not one to wish my life away, but I can't wait for hatching time.

Hopefully twins if both yolks are fertile and develop (I can't tell yet). The good/evil twin thing is what I'm hoping for. If only one develops it's gonna be a messy hatch, ugh. Gotta watch 'em close though, and very likely assist the hatch since they would be pushing against each other to escape the shell and that just doesn't work. There is a YouTube vid of a lady assisting a twin hatch that is really cool, just ignore the dumbfuck comments tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZeEY-kt7A

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hopefully twins if both yolks are fertile and develop (I can't tell yet). The good/evil twin thing is what I'm hoping for. If only one develops it's gonna be a messy hatch, ugh. Gotta watch 'em close though, and very likely assist the hatch since they would be pushing against each other to escape the shell and that just doesn't work. There is a YouTube vid of a lady assisting a twin hatch that is really cool, just ignore the dumbfuck comments tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZeEY-kt7A

Am I remembering right that you had a set of twin chicks before?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

part 2 of that video is very interesting tooo. It was another double yolk and only one chick fully developed :O https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuJPNAfuG3s

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, an actual twin hatch! I didn't think they had a very high rate of survival. So cool to see a successful assisted hatch. Can't wait for yours, VS! I'm off the 20th so I can sit home and watch the eggs! XD

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Surely you'd just use the back of a teaspoon to crack open an egg. :v:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

that was a very stressful video, but a wonderful end result.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

luloo123 posted:

Am I remembering right that you had a set of twin chicks before?

I've never hatched twins, but I had a set of twin bantam cochins hens that we got as pullets. They were identical and did everything together and at the same time, it was a bit creepy...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, what are the average odds of a double-yolker? I swear, hand-to-god-may-lightning-strike-me-dead, I once bought a six-pack of eggs that were all double-yolkers.

Also, I can't wait to see baby chicks :peanut:.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I've never hatched twins, but I had a set of twin bantam cochins hens that we got as pullets. They were identical and did everything together and at the same time, it was a bit creepy...

It will be interesting to see if this happens again! Hopefully everyone develops properly.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Every time I turn the eggs I talk to them, getting some wiggles out of the eggs due this weekend. :keke:

Today is the last turn for the eggs due to hatch Friday (chicken people call this 'lockdown'). Now they sit for the last three days, it's the signal for the chicks to rotate into hatch position!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 17, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats some icon. :eyepop:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Every time I turn the eggs I talk to them, getting some wiggles out of the eggs due this weekend. :keke:

Today is the last turn for the eggs due to hatch Friday. Now they sit for the last three days, it's the signal for the chicks to rotate into hatch position!

Does the mama hen instinctually know to stop turning her nest of eggs at this point?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:neckbeard:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Today is the last turn for the eggs due to hatch Friday. Now they sit for the last three days, it's the signal for the chicks to rotate into hatch position!

YAY! :dance:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Does the mama hen instinctually know to stop turning her nest of eggs at this point?

Yes. Because that's when she feels the eggs moving more strongly and she really clamps down with the brood thing. Then as they do the internal pip through the air cell they start peeping which reinforces her to powerbrood. To duplicate this in an incubator, you stop turning the eggs at 18 days in and raise the humidity to 65%. Talking to them like a cooing idiot is just a bonus. :keke:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yes. Because that's when she feels the eggs moving more strongly and she really clamps down with the brood thing. Then as they do the internal pip through the air cell they start peeping which reinforces her to powerbrood. To duplicate this in an incubator, you stop turning the eggs at 18 days in and raise the humidity to 65%. Talking to them like a cooing idiot is just a bonus. :keke:

The peeping coming from unhatched or pipped eggs is one of the sweetest, most wonderful sounds in the world. All hope and new life and excitement. :3:

Looking foward to Chickam! Is the broder box ready yet? :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
You said only one of the ladies seemed ready to cover chicks---has that changed at all? *is worried about cold chickies*

• Locked thread