Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Yeah I just noticed the other day that we're having a major outbreak of fluffy out there right now--the older heavy breeds (Cochins & Brahmas) are all getting ridiculously feathered out. Weedcat and his hatchmates (3 year olds) plus the two year old girls.

I think they remember last winter and are preparing. :keke:

And that IS some major Weedstrut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Phaena posted:

Haha, HMKFP is all like "yeah, you stay up there, boy. I got all my womens with me here."
It's so great to see them outside again!

Check out the Weedstrut~

LOVE that - THE WEEDSTRUT! :heysexy:

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yeah I just noticed the other day that we're having a major outbreak of fluffy out there right now--the older heavy breeds (Cochins & Brahmas) are all getting ridiculously feathered out. Weedcat and his hatchmates (3 year olds) plus the two year old girls.

I think they remember last winter and are preparing. :keke:

And that IS some major Weedstrut!

Just wait a year until the Fluffy Five are fully feathered out. Fluffplosion!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

CHICKAM IS LIVE! Tune in for the show!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

It's the kid's 14th birthday today!

EDIT: Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes, the kid was thrilled. :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 16, 2013

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Happy Birthday to The Kid! Hope you are having a great birthday sweetie! :rock:

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Happy (belated) birthday to the Kid!

Joanna
Jul 16, 2013
How's the air lately for you guys? And with another chicken gone, does that leave just Sugar inside the house? How is she doing?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Our air is in the double digits--still not anywhere near normal for this area, but a damned sight better and perfectly doable. I hosed all the ash & crap out of the windows and off the the house--I also washed the dog Sunday and the amount of brownish-yellow gunk that came out of her, and the intense smoke smell of it was overpowering. Yuk.

Sugar is still in the house, but she's getting lots of outdoor time. She's strong enough, has regained her weight and WANTS to be in the coop with the others--but we tried it for a day and it didn't work out, they chased and pecked her too much. So she's a house chicken or can room in the small run once we get it repaired. We're still playing catch-up on all the outdoor stuff we couldn't do while it was 100+ degrees or had toxic smokey air or both for more than a month.

This has been a weird, uneven year.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Sorry, it's storming today so no Chickam. If tomorrow is clear we'll put the cam out then.

EDIT: Holy crap did it ever storm on us. Got our first snow of the season on the mountain behind us.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 22, 2013

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Sorry, it's storming today so no Chickam. If tomorrow is clear we'll put the cam out then.

EDIT: Holy crap did it ever storm on us. Got our first snow of the season on the mountain behind us.
Will the storm go towards clear the air some more?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Will the storm go towards clear the air some more?

It seems to have helped, yeah. It just cleared and things are much cleaner, slthough the smoke stink yesterday was everywhere.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mmmm, smoked chicken. (sorry, that was terrible)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yeeha, no more smoked chicken, they've got the Rim fire 84% contained with only isolated smoldering going on, plus it rained & snowed all over the Sierras two days ago! So our air is clear again! :woop:

Also, I have BOTH apples-on-strings and a pumpkin for Chickam tomorrow. I think the apples will be first. :keke:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

So glad to hear it's getting better! I lurk on the video feed whenever I get the chance. :) Despite the circumstances, it was fun to see a group of chickens take over a house.

Did you lose anyone? :ohdear:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

LoreOfSerpents posted:

So glad to hear it's getting better! I lurk on the video feed whenever I get the chance. :) Despite the circumstances, it was fun to see a group of chickens take over a house.

Did you lose anyone? :ohdear:

We lost Gloria, our Brinkotter hen and Scrambles, our bantam mix hen. Also my daughter's pet bunny died. :( Everyone else has recovered and is OK, including Sugar, who is still a housechicken. We humans are still dealing with nagging coughing, but it's getting better.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yeeha, no more smoked chicken, they've got the Rim fire 84% contained with only isolated smoldering going on, plus it rained & snowed all over the Sierras two days ago! So our air is clear again! :woop:

Also, I have BOTH apples-on-strings and a pumpkin for Chickam tomorrow. I think the apples will be first. :keke:
Oh thank god for that. Sorry you lost so many.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cam is up, bobbing for apples has commenced!

Joanna
Jul 16, 2013
But who will take the first bite I wonder!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joanna posted:

But who will take the first bite I wonder!

Those apples are proving far harder to peck than was thought! :D

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cam has learned to block the apple with his body and get bites, he's teaching his technique to the others. Fred's technique was 'Take a bite, OH GOD RUN AWAY!'

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Weedcat's technique was to safely hang back....far back... and observe. :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Meeko!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop! Lookin' snazzy!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Is this Zipper?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Is this Zipper?

Yes, Zip on the right, Betty on the left.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for the great show today VS! The apples were hilarious. I was really getting dizzy watching the apples go 'round and 'round... :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chickam Saturday Video 1! Chicken staredown!

A young Light Brahma chicken (turns out it was Honey) stares down the webcam. Cammed on 9/28/13. (VS: who is this?)

You can hear Weedcat crowing plus Bloop and Meeko made an appearance at the end. The video feed was super-choppy yesterday too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x64RgztMIY0

The video feed and chat kept giving me trouble yesterday, plus my Chrome browser kept freezing and crashing. I had to restart Chrome and fortunately I had the video recorder going and THIS image is what came up when the video feed resumed. The jiggling around is me trying to center the image in the video recorder.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 29, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

That's Honey. :) Sorry about the feed, the laptop can only handle so much before it gags. :(

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chickam Saturday Video 2: Bobbing for Apples, Part 1

Apples have been hung on strings -- there are shiny, metal washers under each apple, to keep the apple on the string.

The chickens hang back, staring at the apples. Chickspicion! Then Fred (a young Light Brahma) comes over and tries his luck. Cam (a young, pale grey Giant Cochin) comes up and tries too. Video was cammed on 9/28/13.

VS: Can you identify anyone else who tries to get the apples? Who is the golden hen with the adorable, big floppy comb? :3:

Below: Fred and Cam (closest to front) stare at the Terror Apples! :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts8wBZKA2yk

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man they're so terrified of the apples. :allears:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Weedcat is hiding sitting in a nest box throughout, burbling at hens to join him.
At 3:37, that's Honey (light Brahma/white Leghorn mix roo) who grabs for the STRING at the bottom of the apple (instead of the edible apple part) and leaps away when it comes to get him, bouncing off the wire with an audible 'thong'.
4:05 Betty the buff Orpington hen.
4:31 River the New Hampshire hen with the big, floppy comb approaches with Fred (light Brahma roo). Linc (Barred Rock hen) stands to the left, watching.
4:49 Bloop (MilleFleur Belgian d'Uccle roo) wanders in for a look.
5:24 Sonic (golden laced Giant Cochin hen) stands by Linc for a moment.
5:59 By now Fred is growling in frustration at the apples with every peck. The apples pay no heed and continue to mercilessly bop him.
6:35 Kiev (gray Giant Cochin hen) at the water dish.
Weedcat continues to perfect his 'I'm not here and don't see it' technique.

It's interesting to see Fred (light Brahma roo) and Cam (Americaunas mix roo) puzzling out the same problem--how to get a bite without getting smacked by a swinging apple. Fred approaches the apple while it's swinging AWAY from him, then dances back when it swings towards him. Fred got smacked by apples a lot and I imagine he's all sticky today. Cam watches, then times his pecks for when the apple is closest to him, no having to run away. Later Cam starts blocking the apple's swing with his body, letting it bounce of his chest to deaden the swing and gets bites that way, too. The other chickens watch Cam and start using his technique.

Edit: Sorry I didn't get to the pumpkin yesterday, we'll save it for this coming Saturday. We've all come down with a head cold and were feeling pretty crappy.

If anyone has some fun jack-o-lantern face designs they want to see carved in the thing (ala the watermelon from before), post 'em!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 29, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Thanks so much for the video notes, VS. I will add them to the Youtube video page. :)

I loved watching the chooks puzzle out how to get the tasty apples. I have more footage of the apple bobbing and will upload another video soon.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

If you go to rarebreedauctions.com they have gorgeous Splash Blue Brahma chickens up for bid. WOW! :swoon:

hope this link works!

http://www.rarebreedauctions.com/auction_details.php?name=pair-of-splash-blue-brahma&auction_id=116018

(edit for link)

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 30, 2013

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for the videos Inveigle & the notes, VS!
I was busy all weekend and missed the cam! I'm so glad I got to experience seeing the apple bobbing!
That footage is pure gold. Hilarious~!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

http://www.theoworlds.com/halloween/ There's a pumpkin carver here for anyone who wants to play around and get screen shots for VS. :)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Can Bloop even reach the apple?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The one towards the back was hung a bit lower so that the banties could reach it, not that any of them tried to. Next time there are apples I'm sure they'll all get in there better.

New things are sceery. :ohdear:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Food that fights back? Run away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cam may not start till after 10AM , we're having nighttime temps at or below freezing and have to wait till it warms up enough in the morning so the laptop can safely go out into the yard.

Meanwhile, I have a pumpkin for tomorrow! :v:

• Locked thread