Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BasicFunk posted:

I think I'm bothered less by their LLWS coverage than I am when they start covering high school football and basketball. I can't really explain why, but ESPN covering high school sports bothers the hell out of me.
Because it seems with their HS coverage that line between "they're just kids" and "OMG COLLEGE COLLEGE COLLEGE" starts to blur. There's just something slightly odd about how they have the kids do their college selections. Like on the other side of the lens there's just team reps and agents rubbing their hands with a grimace on the other side of the camera.

With Little League they're still at that age where that pressure doesn't exist (for the most part), and they're just playing to play. It's a lot more innocent.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think if they aired earlier round games on Disney Channel/Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon, I'd have less of an issue I think.

You know..kind of focusing on where the demographic would most likely be.

Airing the title games on ABC is of no issue to me, just don't cover it more than your other sports for gods sake. The first week of college football season should not be getting less coverage than little kids playing baseball. Hell, MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL should not be getting less coverage than little kids playing baseball.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also the nonstop talk about how Pure and For The Right Reasons it is makes me want to hate a bunch of 12 year olds and that's just not a good look.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ESPN constantly airs LLWS segments and segments during high school football games that are, essentially, "this pro athlete superstar got HIS start in LLWS! could (name of kid) be the next one?" And it's like okay great thanks, no pressure on the kid or anything.

shyduck posted:

What else is ESPN gonna broadcast in July/August though? There's only so many studio shows they can repeat with the same garbage.
Honestly? They're the Worldwide Leader in Sports. Find some loving sports. There's Aussie football which is rad as poo poo. Air that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The answer to what they should air is always Team Handball. I have no idea when the season actually is but neither does anyone else. Just throw it on whenever you have nothing else. No one is going to know better.

Either that or more replays of World's Strongest Man.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm completely for them expanding their sports horizons, but when a network can barely acknowledge the existence of hockey, the problems go pretty deep.

They're the worldwide leader of whatever broadcast rights they own. They're losing NASCAR after this year, so that'll get airbrushed out of the photos as well.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

MourningView posted:

Also the nonstop talk about how Pure and For The Right Reasons it is makes me want to hate a bunch of 12 year olds and that's just not a good look.

"These kids are just out there competing for the love of their parents the game."

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Honestly? They're the Worldwide Leader in Sports. Find some loving sports. There's Aussie football which is rad as poo poo. Air that.

Hell, offer the slot to someone like IndyCar or USAC Silver Crown. Both are beyond belief eager to get some form of some coverage outside of "HEY SOMEONE DIED..WELP..YEAH..CYA.".

I'm bias there, but there's so many other things you could put there. The Aussie Football thing is rather unique, I'd give that a shot.

Even showing replays of "classic" games on ESPN would be a rather cool thing. "Oh hey, here's the 2012 'Bama/Aggie game", or something of that nature. I know they're kind of marooned on ESPNU/ESPNClassic, but yeah, that'd be something to do.

Stuff like "MACTION" seems to be met with a positive reaction all around, why not have more of that attitude?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

MourningView posted:

The answer to what they should air is always Team Handball. I have no idea when the season actually is but neither does anyone else. Just throw it on whenever you have nothing else. No one is going to know better.

Team Handball owns. I support Team Handball on ESPN.

edit: I think ESPN lost Aussie Football. They used to show matches on 3 but they don't anymore.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

BasicFunk posted:

I think I'm bothered less by their LLWS coverage than I am when they start covering high school football and basketball. I can't really explain why, but ESPN covering high school sports bothers the hell out of me.

All the National Signing Day obsession poo poo can get really creepy but at least there's some substance to it. They show players who will be the next big names in NCAA basketball/football at a minimum and possibly the NBA/NFL someday. But there's no reason to know or care about anyone playing Little League unless you know them personally or something. Anyone playing there is 10 years away from ever being noteworthy again in sports.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This is my favorite video from Onion Sports ever. And I think it is completely relevant.

http://www.theonion.com/video/ngyuen-thi-buch-thuy-just-give-me-the-drat-sepak-t,14207/

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Peanut President posted:

Team Handball owns. I support Team Handball on ESPN.

edit: I think ESPN lost Aussie Football. They used to show matches on 3 but they don't anymore.

I believe Fox Sports 2 has the rights, they were showing a game there.I'm not sure why it wasn't on Fox Soccer Plus but that is probably in limbo right now with Fox Soccer getting the axe.

I also want Handball on TV, Loved watching it during Olympic coverage

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The Prisoner posted:

Well, at least until they actually start doing it and you see "Favorite Band: Nickelback" or some poo poo 18 times in a row.

I was watching it at a sports bar over the weekend and it said some kid's favorite movie was 42. I didn't believe it. The next kid up had Predator. That's my boy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

I remember when ESPN showed Magic tournaments on TV. That needs to be brought back.

And more work for Gary Thorne

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

They show Team Handball on beIN Sport if you have that channel. It is as good as you would expect for it to be.

and while we're longing for old ESPN programming, please bring back the Putt Putt Championships

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is handball out of season because all I've seen on Beinsport for a while is soccer. I don't even care if it's a tape from weeks ago it's not like I could be spoiled to the result.

The NBA all star game should be replaced in its entirety with handball. I bet those guys would be awesome at it.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

This. You'll never have to worry about steroid controversy or complaints about unfair advantages because they're all using as much as they can fit in their veins.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

They show Team Handball on beIN Sport if you have that channel. It is as good as you would expect for it to be.
Also, the Team Handball announcer gets utterly looney. I caught part of a handball game on BeIn once and the announcer seriously wondered aloud how there could be anything more exciting on the face of the earth.

MourningView posted:

Except for that really old one from the 70's where Lou Ferrigno's leg breaks in multiple places while he's carrying a full-sized fridge on his back. That was :stonk:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, the Team Handball announcer gets utterly looney. I caught part of a handball game on BeIn once and the announcer seriously wondered aloud how there could be anything more exciting on the face of the earth.

Except for that really old one from the 70's where Lou Ferrigno's leg breaks in multiple places while he's carrying a full-sized fridge on his back. That was :stonk:

there was one from around that time where Geoff Capes' arm snaps during an arm wrestling competition and it's loving nasty

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

soggybagel posted:

This is my favorite video from Onion Sports ever. And I think it is completely relevant.

http://www.theonion.com/video/ngyuen-thi-buch-thuy-just-give-me-the-drat-sepak-t,14207/

Sepak Takraw looks pretty awesome and somebody really needs to air it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DOOP posted:

I remember when ESPN showed Magic tournaments on TV. That needs to be brought back.

I think the Staples Center has actually been rented out for the next League of Legends tournament finals. I wouldn't mind seeing ESPN start having analysts rating solo-mid.

As a kid I remember Baseball Tonight taking fooorrrevvverrrrr so I was surprised that they're as bad with that sport as they are. In addition to their well-documented blinders for anything beyond the AL East, their live games feature a lot of what people have termed "the AssCam" during big plays instead of more traditional camera angles.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I will boycott every product advertised on ESPN if the show League of Legends garbage

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Groucho Marxist posted:

I will boycott every product advertised on ESPN if the show League of Legends garbage

I'm more of a Dota fan myself, but Valve doesn't need the money to give those rights away.

At least it's not Call Of Duty. :colbert:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
get the gently caress out of my forum you awful nerds

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Craptacular! posted:

I'm more of a Dota fan myself, but Valve doesn't need the money to give those rights away.

At least it's not Call Of Duty. :colbert:

That's also garbage

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

It's not like he's wrong or anything.

Also, Fox Soccer Plus owns because it shows both Aussie Rules and rugby league, and if it doesn't get rolled into Fox Sports 2 something is wrong with the world.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Deathlove posted:

I was watching it at a sports bar over the weekend and it said some kid's favorite movie was 42. I didn't believe it. The next kid up had Predator. That's my boy.

The Red Sox have done this kind of thing periodically over the course of the season. This is how I found out Jose Iglesias's favorite movie was Just Go With It :wtc:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I miss when they would put up a college player's major. I still remember a guy had a "prehousing major" one time. I called the school (I think Oregon?) trying to find out what it was. This was at least 12 years ago so you couldn't just google anything in 5 seconds. I never got a real answer either :(

I also remember calling a school to find out what General Studies actually was since every third player had it. All you do is take every "Intro to X" class and a few other random things. I almost died laughing.

Well, that is my story.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

General Studies is your automatic major in every community college that I've ever seen, including the one I went to. I assume this is how a lot of universities work but at UCF you didn't take any classes for your actual major until your junior year so I guess your first two years you are, technically, a General Studies major. It's basically 13th and 14th grade, where you're forced to still take math, history, English, all the core classes you had to take in high school, even though they don't affect your major.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Personally, I think ESPN2 should be showing more Magic the Gathering tournaments.

I really wonder what'll happen if a misguided exec tries to tread into E-Sports water.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Not sure if this is on topic but the IOC have secretly (??) uploaded a ton of matches from 2012 in different sports on youtube. Available in HD and English/Spanish/No Commentary. The way to know is the thumbnail will be a bright color with the symbol of the sport.

Men's Handball Gold Medal match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFuCFaYT7I

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Peanut President posted:

Not sure if this is on topic but the IOC have secretly (??) uploaded a ton of matches from 2012 in different sports on youtube. Available in HD and English/Spanish/No Commentary. The way to know is the thumbnail will be a bright color with the symbol of the sport.

Men's Handball Gold Medal match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFuCFaYT7I

Welp there goes the rest of my evening

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FOX Sports 1 moved a live NASCAR Modified race to FS2 so FOX Football Daily could air. (The race was a staple of SPEED's coverage at Bristol.) I know this shouldn't surprise me, but doesn't it feel inherently wrong to have a god drat talk show air over live sports?

The only thing that's grating to me about the LLWS coverage is the inevitably bad music they use for their montages (but what can you do) and the 12 year old they have doing billboards going into commercials.

shyduck posted:

What else is ESPN gonna broadcast in July/August though? There's only so many studio shows they can repeat with the same garbage.

Good point. If it comes down to LLWS vs. "TIM TEBOW LEBRON AHHHH :fap:", I take the former any day.

BasicFunk posted:

I agree with this. It bugs me that any network is taking the time to show hype the hell out of Miami St. Ignatius taking on Los Angeles Prep Academy.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Little League stuff has to also be a huge thrill for the kids. I remember being stoked when they'd put a little league game in my area on public access. It seems like it just fills time on the networks when they'd be running replays of the previous nights games or some other worthless programming.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Putt Putt Golf and the National Putters Association did make it it to ESPN in 2000, but this is all I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yUwsskwZA

Mini-golf should be great 3 AM programming, but how dare do they have a championship without a windmill or a tire loop?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ESPN had a rollerblade-based, beachside hockey league that aired in 2000. They should have that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I find it funny how Rugby League and Australian Rules Football seems so fresh and unique to you guys, where in Australia it's the exact opposite. I think Baseball is rad as gently caress, but I'm not sure if I was bombarded by it 24/7 like I am by AFL I would be completely bored of it.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I grew up with all of the American sports but have been living in Australia for the past 4 years and I find every major sport in Australia incredibly boring. Thank god for the internet and streaming

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I unironically wish they would cover bar type sports in short stints. I'd have loved to have seen the recent Pinball championships during the day on ESPN2. Darts, pool, foosball, that kind of stuff. I'm talking about giving each a couple days where they can give overviews of the sport with some narratives the audience can play along with. Similar to how they covered poker. Nothing primetime, just filler during the a Tuesday morning/afternoon.

It's kind of like the Olympics. I have no interest in curling at all, but for a week or so I'm down with watching it. If they threw a foosball championship on, gave me some background stories of the competitors, I'd probably watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Harlock posted:

Personally, I think ESPN2 should be showing more Magic the Gathering tournaments.

I really wonder what'll happen if a misguided exec tries to tread into E-Sports water.

One of my best friends was a Magic pro back when it was on ESPN2. The one time I asked him about it, he told me a story of how a notable player was going to be on TV the next day for the Top 8 or what have you, so the night before he basically got shanghaied from his hotel room and forced to cut his hair and shave his giant neckbeard in a women's restroom so they could show him on TV.

So what I'm saying is we definitely need more Magic on ESPN2.