Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nodoze posted:

https://nypost.com/2024/04/22/media/apple-close-to-finalizing-1b-deal-with-fifa-over-tv-rights-for-new-tournament-report/

Soccer’s global governing body FIFA is close to an agreement with Apple to give the tech company worldwide television rights for a new, month-long club tournament, the New York Times reported Monday.

The deal with Apple could be announced as soon as this month and valued at around $1 billion, a quarter of the $4 billion FIFA had first estimated, the report said, citing three people familiar with the matter.

The potential agreement would give the company’s streaming business an edge amid competition among streaming services providers to lap up rights for widely watched sporting events in a bid to add subscribers.

The 32-team event will be held next year between June 15 and July 13. Usually, no major events are scheduled during this period in order to allow players to rest in the off-season a year before the World Cup, according to the report.

An exclusive rights deal for a tournament absolutely nobody was asking for.

It's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are already way too many drat soccer tournaments

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are already way too many drat soccer tournaments
It's an expansion of the existing Club World Cup, which typically took place over about a week in December each year with six or so teams taking part. However, FIFA decided they don't already make enough money so it's been expanded from six to 32 teams and will now have a schedule similar to the international World Cup. The tradeoff is that it will take place every four years instead of every year.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
throw in an expanded world cup and inter-continental competition and top level players could be looking at playing three summers out of every four after far too crowded domestic seasons, which I am sure will have no effect on the product being presented

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Crazy Ted posted:

It's an expansion of the existing Club World Cup, which typically took place over about a week in December each year with six or so teams taking part. However, FIFA decided they don't already make enough money so it's been expanded from six to 32 teams and will now have a schedule similar to the international World Cup. The tradeoff is that it will take place every four years instead of every year.

It sounds like a replacement for the Confederations Cup that was a dress rehearsal for the World Cup but with teams Europeans want to see

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Island Nation posted:

It sounds like a replacement for the Confederations Cup that was a dress rehearsal for the World Cup but with teams Europeans want to see

Sounds to me it's more a way to get Al-Hilal a game against Real Madrid and Bayern.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Island Nation posted:

You would think that, but somehow this year's edition is only being played in the United States, with zero games in Canada or Mexico :iiam:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Simplex posted:

Sounds to me it's more a way to get Al-Hilal a game against Real Madrid and Bayern.

A few of them want to see Neymar. A few more from Switzerland want to commit money laundering.

Crazy Ted posted:

You would think that, but somehow this year's edition is only being played in the United States, with zero games in Canada or Mexico :iiam:

[FIFA] Darn, we forgot to schedule games in Canada and Mexico, let me use these Swiss Francs to wipe these tears away

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Crazy Ted posted:

That's still the WNBA's biggest problem: the NBA shoehorns it into the summer on a compressed schedule and then wonders why the average basketball fan doesn't watch it.

Some of this is just the reality that the WNBA is not the primary women's league and even this compressed schedule in the middle of the year is about the best they can do and have top talent, and even then often the stars didn't make it until training camp was well under way, or the season was already going, and they've had years where a top player chose another league all together. The money has gone up with this CBA and they're forcing players to show up at the start of training camp to get it and the Russian leagues are off the table for Westerners so I think they can at least think of decompressing the schedule in the future, but before now it would not have really been possible.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/andrewmarchand/status/1783944123218878479?s=46

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So there's no way this isn't a loving disaster for fans and consumers

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

i would think that thursday night football has been successful enough to warrant amazon getting more major rights

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

This kills the League Pass

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Criminal Minded posted:

This is going to be a disaster that hurts the NBA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dinosaurs! posted:

This kills the League Pass

I think it's only certain games so I doubt it does much to league pass.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

AsInHowe posted:

This is going to be a disaster that hurts the NBA.

Good, the NBA shouldn't be immune from streaming.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I can't get the full article - are they just gonna require the full $120 or whatever it's up to now annual Prime subscription?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

It should be. I can't see how they see other leagues losing money because no one wants to subscribe to 7 services and want that

We are all gonna return to the Streams of the Eastern winds eventually especially given none of these systems are reliable

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My post was more in a bitter tone.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Isentropy posted:

It should be. I can't see how they see other leagues losing money because no one wants to subscribe to 7 services and want that

We are all gonna return to the Streams of the Eastern winds eventually especially given none of these systems are reliable

I would bet most people are subscribed to 5+ streaming services and don’t even remember 2 of them. Most people don’t care and it’s going to be accepted practice to have 10 streaming services and pay cable prices again soon

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

surprised that it took this long for them to have online-only games

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Isentropy posted:

Which leagues are losing money because of this?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

Depends on the structure of the deal. If it's like the MLS deal the NBA would have to do better that its current performance to make more money than a traditional TV deal. If it's just guaranteed money like the NFL then there's not a lot of downside to it.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

I pulled it out my rear end but there's no way everyone is subscribing to the 5 streaming services they need to watch a game now right?

With the end of ZIRP this can't be real and honestly only the streaming services offering the most will live. I can see like Amazon Prime being fine. Peacock?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I think this means Netflix ends up with the in-season tournament at this point

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Well, that isn't a problem for the leagues though, they aren't asking for a % of new subscribers or whatever, they're asking for a flat rate. Amazon/peacock/whoever is paying them that flat rate with the hope that it will entice enough people to sign up (and then ideally forget they have a subscription for years).

For basketball in particular, very very few people watch every game for their teams and no one is watching every game out there, it's impossible. I dunno if Amazon is going to take over Wednesday night games or whatever, but this probably will only impact 2-4 games a week, and there are usually like 50+ games in an average week, and most of them are not watchable for most people anyway. If Portland is playing Charlotte on Amazon, it's unlikely most people would have watched that game anyway.

How they intend to get and broadcast conference finals is more interesting, I would be surprised if its an Amazon-Only thing, though they play playoff games on NBATV which not everyone has access to either.

Basically, what I'd like is just League Pass with all games, but if we can't have that I prefer games to be accessible on a platform that's not cable TV since I have no intention of signing up for cable TV.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We're not gonna get a no blackout league pass until the RSNs are dead. I think Amazon is buying the corpse of Bally's Sports, so they're gonna own a bunch of the rights already, but teams like the Lakers and Knicks have rock solid deals for decades

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1783945127876239584

So Amazon in for Turner then, or is the package going to be split multiple ways?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

they say the final part of the package will go to turner and/or nbc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

We're not gonna get a no blackout league pass until the RSNs are dead. I think Amazon is buying the corpse of Bally's Sports, so they're gonna own a bunch of the rights already, but teams like the Lakers and Knicks have rock solid deals for decades
The Dodgers as well

MLB is a separate issue though since some teams have their own networks like the Cubs and Yankees

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

There's also one somewhat (??) major team (almost every Toronto team) owned by a telecom company.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

Well, that isn't a problem for the leagues though, they aren't asking for a % of new subscribers or whatever,

Some of these streaming deals, that's definitely a factor Unclear if it will be for the NBA.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/andrewmarchand/status/1784945913045094648?s=46

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

drat even CBS is upgrading at Quarterback in the off-season

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think this is the right thread, but Yinzers rejoice.

https://twitter.com/snpittsburgh/status/1784964799169691681?s=46&t=wNf75G2WiIjbMjBMYW-m7Q

It's 18 a month.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

more nfl tv news

https://x.com/theathletic/status/1785000166845567009?s=46

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

they say the final part of the package will go to turner and/or nbc

https://x.com/jbflint/status/1785070099176821159?s=46

https://x.com/jbflint/status/1785073806702489721?s=46

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Normally Boomers don’t just give up their spot to younger guys like that

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

WBD has been mealy-mouthed about sports in general in earnings calls and other investor-facing stuff so it wouldn't surprise me to see them lose out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They gutted TNT/TBS besides sports. If they lose sports they might as well just shut those networks down.