Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

FuzzySkinner posted:

What's SAS consensus on Little League World Series coverage?

I don't think 13 year olds should be playing a highly televised baseball tournament and I find it borderline creepy it is broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I miss when they would put up a college player's major. I still remember a guy had a "prehousing major" one time. I called the school (I think Oregon?) trying to find out what it was. This was at least 12 years ago so you couldn't just google anything in 5 seconds. I never got a real answer either :(

I also remember calling a school to find out what General Studies actually was since every third player had it. All you do is take every "Intro to X" class and a few other random things. I almost died laughing.

Well, that is my story.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Crazy Ted posted:

Seriously the Yahoo sports app is pretty much all you need.

Too bad their web design team must be on a 3 year acid trip. How a major corporation can have such a horrible looking website I will never know. I can't even read sports.yahoo.com anymore

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Vertical Lime posted:

He called ESPN's portion of the US Open until this year

He wanted to call The Masters more than anything in the world but Augusta told ESPN if they let Berman call one hole they would refuse to sign the contract giving ESPN Thursday and Friday coverage.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

We laughed our asses off at this at my friend's house. My buddy rewound it 3 times.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

commy gun posted:

I'd put Whitlock as the front runner to fill the spot.

God help us all.

God I hope so. Radio is where he belongs. His podcast is by far the best thing he does. I don't think he ever had an episode I did not like. I listened to every single Fox Sports podcast he did (I think) and probably 75% of his ESPN ones, and they were all at least decent. Never once did I think "well, that was a waste of time."

I think I am always defending my man Whitlock here because I mostly go by his podcasts and tweets. If I judged him by his writing I would not be a fan.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Benne posted:

Kenny, Moose and Goose got split up :qq:
I went from hating them to loving them. I still remember what changed it. They gave Goose a big screen TV in the end zone, with like 4 other TVs attached to it, and he got busted hiding snacks behind all of them.

Or it might have been when they cut to him and he had a fedora on his head that looked like what I would look like if I put a thimble on my head. Whichever of those happened first (pretty sure the first one)

We got a lot of Goose and company during the lean Panther years.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
We all take it for granted since we have always had it, but get some older sports fans to describe the first time they saw ESPN. My dad described seeing Sportscenter in a hotel in the NorthEast somewhere in the early 80's and it just blew his mind something that awesome existed. Back then you got 45 seconds of the local teams on the local news and boxscores in the paper. Now I can catch two FCS teams play on a stream online if I want.

It is probably how I will sound in 20 years when I explain that once upon a time people actually would argue over something like what year Ric Flair won the Royal Rumble, the Celtics last won a title, or the name of an actor in a movie was instead of googling it.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
James Andrew Miller also wrote Live from New York and I bailed on it about halfway through. I just got over it I guess. I was 300 pages in and not even to the pictures in the middle yet and I just decided "I'm done here." The book is good and entertaining but I just decided "I've had enough SNL stories,we're on to Buffalo." I have not read the ESPN book yet but it is on my "someday" list. Amazon says the paperback is 800 pages. Even if I like it I'll probably bail just like the SNL book hah

VVV

That is a great explanation of the problem. The SNL book would have someone say something like "Eddie got so popular he would leave at lunch and buy a 50k gold chain, he was so rich" and then 7 other people say the same thing and you have two pages when it could be 2 sentences.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 24, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

OctoberBlues posted:

This is kind of a cool article on what people had to do to get scores before ESPN

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/that-was-a-thing-sports-phone-the-1980s-way-to-get-real-time-scores/
This article is awesome. I loved this part.

quote:

La Greca recalls getting a call one afternoon from a man claiming to be in a limo heading toward Atlantic City. He stayed on the phone for three hours while La Greca gave him the blow-by-blow of an entire Cubs-Astros game. La Greca remembers wondering, How much does he have on this game that he’s spending three hours on the phone at 99 cents a minute?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Glamorama26 posted:

But then the Republicans actually listen to it and are like oh poo poo, this is my jam and set it as a ringtone.
Yea right, Obama could cure cancer and Aids on the same day and they would complain it took him 7 years in office to do it. Hell, they were obsessed with getting Bin Laden for 12 years, then Obama does it and somehow they complained about that.

So yes, they would even complain about Roundball Rock.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Pam Ward is awful. I never even rewatched Appalachian State's 2006 championship because she called the game.

Doris Burke is awesome. Also, I don't remember any meltdowns over her when she started calling games. Maybe it is because she was a sideline reporter for a while so people were familiar with her.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I thought the craziest thing in the interview (I missed the first part) was Francesa offered Bill Simmons a co-hosting gig when Mad Dog left.

I wonder how long that partnership would have lasted

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
John Skipper really should be fired for the Monday Night Football and College Playoff contracts alone.

Monday Night Football somehow wrote a contract where they get an awful game over the half the time, cannot do anything about it, and pay over twice as much for their game as NBC, who gets the best game of the week.

They pay $500 million a year for these college football games and can't even control when they are played. How do they let that happen? They let a bowl game where one team is up 35 points in under 20 minutes of gametime control when the playoff games get played. Ridiculous. New Year's Eve? The only Holiday less negotiable with your girlfriend or spouse is Valentine's Day. And it is going to happen 6 more times!

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 2, 2016

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

iwentdoodie posted:

On the west coast it basically meant skipping dinner with the wife, on what is basically a holiday, to watch football.

Basically a holiday? I feel like New Year's Eve is in the top 3 least negotiable holiday list with your spouse/partner/date to gently caress off and watch football. You can even get away with it on Thanksgiving and Christmas because you're "watching it with the family" but New Year's Eve is a defacto locked down date night.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Mahoning posted:

People over 25 actually go out on NYE?
To a friend's house, yes. Or if you stay in you're watching the New Year's show most likely, not football. It is a big time friends holiday.

I mean I'm sure plenty of people can still watch football, I know I would be able to if I really wanted to, but it is reasonable to expect at least 25% of people who would normally want to watch it would have other plans without much wiggle room.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can't have bowl chairmen making 500k salaries if the games move to different college campuses every year based on seeding.

(this is the real answer btw)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Deathlove posted:

'72 Dolphins?

The '85 Bears probably gets canonzied more than the Dolphins. You really only hear about the Dolphins when the media is forced to talk about them (like when the last undefeated team loses or a team gets to say 13-0) where you hear about the '85 Bears randomly all the time. For example, after the Panthers lost this year you won't hear about the '72 Dolphins again until either a team is undefeated through like week 12 or the last undefeated team loses.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Jalen Rose is awful. I don't understand why ESPN is giving him a superstar push.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'm not done listening yet but I thought the most interesting part was the NFL offered ABC/ESPN Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football for only 1.5 billion (only 400 million more than they paid for MNF) but ABC basically was like "nah, Desperate Housewives is a hit, we're cool." They must have had the moron patrol in full effect not to grab that deal instantly, put SNF on ESPN and MNF on ABC. SNF on ESPN would be perfect. They could start highlight shows and analysis right at 7 and roll straight into the game.

I'm glad it never happened though because Sunday Night Football is miles ahead of any other broadcast in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'm such a moron. We didn't have cable in college (no one I knew did either) and I forgot there even was Sunday Night Football because we never watched it. Imagine a time before WatchESPN and firstrowsports....good lord what a dark age