Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yes. Jamie Horowitz.

Also Live isn't getting canned quite yet...but soon. So it will go on past the 15th. They're tinkering right now. It's definitely moving into Extreme Hot Take Territory 24/7. If you check out any of their evening coverage leading up to the Super Bowl you see it. They're giving Katie Nolan a lot of airtime on Live and other segments. Cowherd and Whitlock are doing their own shows from San Francisco right now. Live as of now is very loose as Jay and Dan just goof around. The last two nights on Live they loving ran 3 total highlights from the night. The mood is low. Also basically everyone still doesn't know if we're being kept on, if we'll be fired, if anything... which really loving sucks. though everyone is throwing their resumes out everywhere.

This on top of the news that 21st century fox tv/film is trying to cut 250 million from the operating budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I never said Kate Nolan was a hot taker though my sentence order I guess implied that. What I meant was that theyre giving Katie Nolan a lot of air time during this super bowl lead up coverage, which makes sense. They're trying to strengthen every personalities "brand" that they have right now.

The move to EXTREME HOT TAKE is that Jay and Dan are getting their own show which I imagine will be more opinion and less we're doing highlights. Whitlock is getting his own poo poo as you know, and it sounds like Cowherd might get a 2nd! show....so we'll see.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

davecrazy posted:

Jonah Keri went from Grantland to....Nerdist. Go figure.

http://nerdist.com/podcasts/jonah-keri-podcast/

This is interesting. Nerdist has been really branching to be the site for everything.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also are you aware that he runs a school? Has he ever mentioned that in a podcast?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yeah it's really fun to be working there right now.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Honestly Jay and Dan aren't that awesome. They don't sell basketball at all and it's clear they don't care about it. Also, they were good on sportscentre because they were good at banter and joking between a serious show. You can't force the funny when it isn't there and FSLive tried too much.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still will never understand how FS1 was supposed to compete in an era where ESPN was already starting to decline

The way Fox Sports has handled things the past few years has really just been a really big clusterfuck. What we see now with ratings declines at ESPN were going to be sort of obvious with Fox Sports as well given the amount of people willing to cut the cord and so on. The Thing that can drive ratings for other programming is live sports. Live sports is a weird thing where most people, myself included, do find it weird to watch DVR'd or non live sports things. It feels weird, which is why sports fans continue to pay for stupid big cable subscriptions so they can have ESPN. Sportscenter can still get good ratings because their lead ins are NBA games and marquee sporting events. Fox has a few things going for it but not much. Challenging ESPN was dumb, because its like ADIDAS challenging Nike. Nike owns 90 percent of the market, so just play to your strengths and at least own the fringes.

It never made since to me that even though Fox has an incredibly good partnership with UFC they don't do more with it? Why not have more UFC Centric programming? Also, when they brought Jay and Dan, why not give them a once a week hockey show? NHL rights are the cheapest around and Jay and Dan love hockey. It was obvious when we'd feed down highlights they often could not give two shits about a random basketball highlight but would definitely be more into the NHL stuff. On top of that, the reason Jay and Dan were "funny" is the same way we found the classic era of ESPN sportscenter anchors funny. It's because they were good at their base job, but given just enough freedom to have personalities and put spins on things. Fox Sports Live internally near the end was just spinning out ideas that were half baked and forcing people to "find the funny" which often meant, "FORCE THIS SPORTS HIGHLIGHT WITH NO INHERENT COMEDY FACTOR TO BE FUNNY." Or in other words, force people to work too hard to be sort of creative for a 45 second highlight.

The latest move to hot-take central is a stupid and shortsighted move. Colin Cowherd's ratings are awful and I'm still not clear who this is for. It airs midday on the east coast and it misses the drive time slot for the west coast. Cowherd's show of course is one of the few that basically didn't have any layoffs that I'm aware of. With Whitlock show coming its going to be even more insufferable. I know they gutted the news room staff, fired a bunch of graphics people, random support people, and they also cut the highlights department in half. Not to mention, and this is perhaps by design, the people who are left are all in a very negative mood and are all trying to get the hell out of there anyways. Also to fill time after Cowherd they play the worst loving thing, 'The Best Thing I Herd' which is basically a highlights show Cowherd's own loving show. Its so stupid. Having a radio show on TV is stupid. It can work sometimes, but really they should have modeled it much more after Sportsnation. Look, I don't like that show but at least it "gets it." More reliance on video, funny internet poo poo, it's bright and visually appealing. I feel bad for Kristine Leahy who by all accounts is a loving pro and extremely nice who has to do that lovely show.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 18, 2016

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The other thing that is insane to me is that they have never leveraged the fact that they're in LA. Thousands of hungry talented young people who are smart and funny out here. Go hot take central but make it a youth movement. You can get a ton of inexpensive highly creative people who can do it all. I.E. Edit produce write and appear in front of camera.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It's stupid the money we are paying for Whitlock and cowherd. No one is like "it's 2pm?! Turn it to channel 755...WHITLOCK IS ON!!!"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

C. Everett Koop posted:

FS1 couldn't do an NHL show because they don't have the rights. NBC has those and the regional rights don't extend to a parent national network, or however those contracts work.

Besides, it's not like the NHL's ratings are good enough to drive a show that's not immediately attached to a game broadcast, much less an independent show that has far less access to video/talent.

They could build a show around highlights and analysis specifically focused on the NHL. I'm not even saying broadcast an NHL game on FS1. I realize NHL isn't a big ratings machine but again, I think they should try to own the fringes.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Pretty sure Fox's contract is pretty much free reign on NHL stuff. It's why fox sports still publishes NHL highlights to its website. Plus as of a couple months ago when we had a highlight show NHL was the only one without any airing restrictions. We could do partials, in game updates, the whole thing. I agree with you completely given time restrictions and rights things if they're there. However I was under impression fox had pretty much all access.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

AsInHowe posted:

Fox has pretty much every regional NHL contract that NBC does not have.

To be clear I'm not speaking on affiliates whether they are Comcast/NBC or FS-xxx but broadcasting rights when it comes to rules on highlights and things. Which are there but somewhat different. I think.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Anyone watching the TNT pregame? I imagine it's pretty somber

Can't believe they featured Sager in Shaqtin the Fool.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Curt Schilling is impossible to fire for some reason.

To clarify, this is the guy who denies evolution, compared muslims to nazi's, and recently in a recent radio interview said "I hope she does. If I'm going to believe, and I don't have any reason not to believe, that she gave classified information on hundreds if not thousands of emails on a public server after what happened to General Petraeus, she should buried under a jail somewhere," which is in direct contradiction of their employee mandate about not commenting about the election.

But he's back so I'm looking forward to more funny dumb poo poo.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 24, 2016

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Rick posted:

I think they could've done something cool with that, especially since ESPN always namedrops that they are in LA, but it doesn't really feel like a very LA show.

Yeah, the most LA thing about ESPN's broadcasts from here is that they show palm trees in the intro.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

FuzzySkinner posted:

ah! You'd be correct on that assertion!

I try to avoid him, and pretty much ESPN as a whole purposely. (save for live sporting events). Just found his sneering outrage over this and his attempts to straw man wrestling fans really bizarre.

I realize it "worked" in getting us to waste oxygen talking about him. That being said? I'm really wondering how much longer this whole "shock jock/hot take" thing is going to go. Like I don't even think Jim Rome does that sort of thing any more.

e: Like if he's really going to go on this spiel about putting "Childish things" behind one's self and living a "richer" life, would that not include sports as a whole?

Colin Cowherd made fun of self serious wrestling fans and it worked.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Well it's a good thing they just gutted Fox Sports by slashing staff basically in half.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Ask Joe Buck about his spray on tan.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
M'Lady

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Please tell me there's a Cowherd elevator somewhere in that building too.

Yeah it's literally just to the left and inside the elevator is a vinyl wrap of both of them.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Holy poo poo. Thats hilarious.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Lets stop talking about wrestling.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think what it boils down to is Bill Simmons is not a personality that people will pay a subscription to watch for half an hour on a Wednesday night. He was an entertaining writer and I like his podcast, but if his show is just more of the same in video format, who cares?

No one is paying for an HBO subscription just for Bill Simmons and I don't think anyone at HBO honestly thinks that. However, if you've got HBO NOW or are sharing an HBO GO sub/login and you like sports you'll probably at least check it out.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I interviewed at NFL network and they asked me what I thought about CTE. I just ran out of the room.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

DJExile posted:

I want to think you're joking, but..... :ohdear:

Half joking. I did interview. I didn't run out of the room.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The thing about LeBatard that is laudable is that he is just as passionate a sports fan as anyone out there but he realizes in the abstract that its all fun and games and absurd anyways.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Josh Lyman posted:

Amazing Copa America final and Sportscenter leads with inconsequential baseball games :negative:

Thats what happens when they don't have it on their network.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The stupidest thing ESPN does is put a random free kick at like #2 all the time. Stop pandering!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

straight up brolic posted:

lol very wrong he's a bottler and misses PKs all the time (see vs. Chelsea in CL semis)

I think the thing ESPN was saying was he has never missed a penalty shootout. He's definitely missed PK's. Again, haven't verified that but maybe thats what they meant?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
No, Gary Thorne is god.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Remarkable someone got paid to write a screenplay where the line, "Here is SUB-ZERO...NOW, PLAIN ZERO."

That's the best you could come up with? Plain Zero?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZ25ikUKVY

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Vertical Lime posted:

what the gently caress

stephen a is crying live on air

We're all crying that it wasn't Stephen A.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It's wild purely from the standpoint that sports journalism is filled with shitheads and morons and yet everyone hates Jay Mariotti. He truly is the worst.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Things are the way they are and they're not changing but the flow of NFL games can get severely disrupted by the random injury or the inopportune score, say right before the 2 minute warning but then followed by a number of timeouts.

Bill Barnwell tweeted out a link to a Mark Cuban interview from a couple years ago and I think Cuban is heading in the right direction with his quote.

http://www.espn.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10662203/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-greedy-nfl-10-years-away-implosion

Mark Cuban posted:

"Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

Cuban was specifically referring to the NFL's recently expanding its television package. He considers it a poor business decision for the NFL, which consistently dominates TV ratings, to play games on days other than Sunday and Monday.

"They're trying to take over every night of TV," Cuban said. "Initially, it'll be, 'Yeah, they're the biggest-rating thing that there is.' OK, Thursday, that's great, regardless of whether it impacts [the NBA] during that period when we cross over. Then if it gets Saturday, now you're impacting colleges. Now it's on four days a week. "It's all football. At some point, the people get sick of it."

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones disagreed with Cuban's take.

"We certainly do a lot of work as you know before we jump on these things," Jones said at the NFL owners' meeting in Orlando. "Certainly I can see why he might not say that, that we're getting too saturated. But I think we've done a lot of work to think that we're not."

It's hard to disagree. The ONLY reason I am watching NFL all day is because I have to for my job. And if you're remotely interested in NCAA football your entire week feels like its being monopolized. I'm much more excited for the NBA season than I am for the ongoing NFL season and I'm a vikings fan! Thursday games almost universally suck, they're trapped on a garbage network, and it honestly disrupts the teams having a short week to prepare. The other thing that I never liked is Monday Night Football moving to ESPN. It just felt wrong. The opening week double monday night football games felt bad, because the late one was so late. Then you have London Games so me, living on the west coast would in theory have to get up at 6:30am to catch kickoff. It's just getting a bit much.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also when it moved to ESPN my grandparents couldn't watch the game anymore and they were sad so I got angry.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yeah it's pretty clear Sunday night football gets the better games and has kind of superseded MNF.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

DJExile posted:

Yeah this was a mess from every which way. Snafus with graphics are going to happen every once in a while, that's the nature of TV. But this is the kind of stuff that even public access can handle, and you can't blame everything on technology. So either TBS had brand-spaking new people working in the truck who were still rookies to TV production, or they had layoffs and were running a skeleton crew.

E: It's also at least possible this wasn't TBS's own crew. Sometimes companies will just hire local production staffs to work their trucks for the games so they're not paying to travel everyone. I've done this on a far smaller scale around Ohio for one of my side jobs.

It would be insane for TBS to completely outsource to local production for the playoffs.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Fox is in a bad spot with UFC but they are slowly positioning themselves as the place for soccer. Granted NBC owns the premiere league but fox has Bundesliga, all UEFA, and they now have the next World Cup. They also have carried things like COPA and still split MLS with espn.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'm very bearish on UFC right now. I really feel like it's always on the precipice of popularity because the sport just like boxing before it requires strong personalities and interesting fights and those can quickly fade. I'm not saying its in trouble or near death but that 4 billion dollar transaction could be pretty loving insane looking back a couple years from now.

Also, god I'm still so loving bummed out by the Fox Sports lineup right now. It's just loving sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I don't know who the gently caress actually watches sportscenter these days but I do see the bind they are in.

If you're favorite team isn't the Golden State Warriors or the Boston Red Sox, why wait 45 minutes just to see a 2 play 30 second highlight of your team. All the official websites for the NHL, NBA, and NFL do a good job of putting up a couple hours after the game a 2 minute highlight and usually isolated highlights of say, the biggest dunk or a great diving catch. MLB sucks still because their search functions on the site are god awful and the media player sucks rear end.

It just doesn't make sense to do a raw highlights show but of course Sportscenter has gone hard the other way doing almost no sports highlights and lots of dumb segments.