Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's still kind of amazing that in the top 10 (5?) tweets of all time, Stephen A parodies show up twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Peanut President posted:

I mean if you're gonna make that argument then they should shitcan the whole league since they're always up against somebody's playoffs seeing as how 1 is in winter, 1 is in fall, and 2 are in spring/summer.

I mean "You shouldn't play an outdoor sport in winter when a bunch of your teams are in the midwest" seems pretty easy to follow....

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Minnesota just built an outdoor stadium for their team, so that would kinda suck if you moved it to a winter sport (for some reason).

Seriously, February outdoor games would be health hazards.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EmotionlessThug posted:

Maybe I'm just being cynical but I think he was trying to say "the HK conflict should be a sacred cow like Palestine so that everyone's scared to criticize China over it" not "while we're talking about HK let's also all go and join Gaza aid flotillas"

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant but he is sorta inadvertently making the other point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't mind him so much for baseball. He's definitely a blowhard but maybe my tolerance is better for that in baseball? You kinda need someone to make noises but not really say anything to fill the dead air.

He's horrid for NFL. I won't say the worst but that's just because the bar is set so low.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Timby posted:

Buck has said on multiple occasions that he finds baseball boring and doesn't like watching it, but he keeps calling it because Fox throws bucketloads of money at him to do it.

This might be why I find him decent for baseball, I can relate to this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Have half of all the World Series really gone 7 games this decade, including 3 of the last 4?

rrrriiiiigggggeeeeeddddd

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

ah, whoops, for some reason I though it was 6 months prior.

Nope Cavs winning the title is what split the timeline. After that Cubs won the title, then Trump got elected and everything has been off the rails since.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Did anyone ever figure out why Chris Carter got fired from Fox?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Giving Golden State and New Orleans a combined 72 national TV games was probably not a good thing in hindsight.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DJExile posted:

Wasn't hard to see why they gave New Orleans a bunch, didn't Zion only get hurt like right before the season started?

Yeah, that's why its hindsight. NO was probably not a bad decision though I think they'd do well in general spreading that out a bit more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is a rl Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant bit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Is this a long term trend of Basketball becoming the dominant sport? Or just a case of "there are so many more things to do now than just watch the super bowl"

Basketball is down too, not quite as markedly as NFL though (which had an absurd peak of viewership for a while there). It's more of a "People aren't watching as much TV and the casual fan is shrinking" thing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I like the "pick your opponent"aspect but I think adding more playoff spots hurts regular season play. Baseball it's the only sport where just making the playoffs is a big deal and good. I hate to lose that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Whoops, wrong tab

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Watching some of those Bears seasons will definitely put this time into perspective.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, I am pretty sure Buck really doesn't like baseball but despite (because of?) that he's one of the better broadcasters, especially nationally.

I don't really like him for football, but I am beginning to think football broadcasters should have a shelf life of like 3 years, max.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

It was loving hilarious.

Then again, that might have been because I was a Minnesota native watching the game with a bunch of relatives in Wisconsin and I almost got to watch half a dozen people simultaneously have strokes when that happened.

I was actually at that game and almost everyone around me at Lambeau thought it was mostly dumb but didn't care. When I got home and saw how Joe Buck had a profound case of the vapors over it I was shocked as I had pretty much forgotten it had happened.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Was it at all entertaining or was it just something happening on TV?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't forget the tail. When they start releasing stuff they will have tons of shows and movies that will be behind schedule, many of which will get canceled without recouping a dime. Disney+ was released at a good time, but with no new content going there it's going to see a huge surge of cancellations once the quarantine is fully lifted.

They'll figure it out, but it wouldn't be surprising if they have to sell off some properties to do it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They're gunna give Dennis Miller another spin.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, Tiger gets that. Outside of the US Pele, or maybe Ronaldo or Messi might have that impact.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't biopic's usually sugar coat and gloss over negative stuff a ton? Doing that to Tyson would be pretty lovely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

I saw Tony Reali from Around the Horn mention this, but I think the sports figure that would work best as the subject of a long documentary series would be Vince McMahon

He's maybe the only person where I would ask the question "Man, would 10 hours even be enough to cover everything?". Plus WWE is a rare thing where it's got a solid cultural presence but the average ESPN viewer wouldn't already come in with a knowledge of most of the details. Lure em in with the Attitude Era, keep em around for decades of cartoonish megalomania and corporate malfeasance

I guess getting enough people to go on the record while he's still alive might be tricky though

The Tom Brady thing seems pretty obviously a "We need a White Person One" response to last dance, which made me think what sports-related white guy would be worth the treatment and this is exactly the right answer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s all about The U for me. Not particularly informative or groundbreaking but extremely fun.

This but the Winning Time one about Reggie Miller. It wasn't particularly ground breaking but a documentary on Reggie Miller trash talking was certainly welcome. As well as a documentary on how Cheryl just destroyed him growing up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Unfortunately I disagree, often when blowhards like him strike out on their own to be unfiltered, they do fine. Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, Bill Simmons....all very rich people who got richer after leaving.

Simmons would be the closest comparison but he went to HBO, not off on his own. I think Whitlock has a scattered audience but not like any of those guys.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Real Patriot greatness comes from players who never show emotion on the field, like Randy Moss.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

preempting football that probably won't happen for the largest sporting event in the world is probably the right move; move the game to fs1 if there's a conflict or do picture-in-picture if you gotta

fox usually puts on its important game (america's game of the week tm) at 4 pm anyways

Are you, like, really pessimistic about how long an effective vaccine will take or...?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

going to watch the cubs, on television

I'm sorry. :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do Americans watch Australian Football? Do they know what is going on?

I've played it! It's getting more popular in the US and even if you don't know the rules it's reasonably easy to figure out who is probably winning and who is doing cool poo poo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

....maybe he just thought it was a good city for a cigarette?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The right way to swerve is to fully adopt it, proclaim you're gay and was really looking forward to Grindr in KC.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If he didn't know it was a slur what did he mean by dating what he said?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You KNOW I have deep compassion for clinical depression
mmhmmm
BUT

efb;

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Haha, what does he think an appropriate sideline outfit looks like, a Burka? Taylor's outfit was, like, a totally normal late summer thing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paid, illegal streams are really the best market solution. When NBA LP lets me watch my local team I'll pay them, until then I'm paying the dude who is charging 1/3 the price with a superior UX that gets me everything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Benne posted:

Stan Van Gundy just took the Pelicans job so TNT lost its one good color guy

It's probably best to lose the good commentators before they get bad though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

General Dog posted:

What do young non sports fans want live, streaming cable service for? I enjoy the convenience of being able to cloud-DVR whatever cable series I still watch and have them in the same place, but I don't think there are many of them that are unavailable next-day on one conventional streaming service or another.

"Random TV shows on as background" is still pretty common among people.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DJExile posted:

I've been in some form of broadcasting since 2003. College radio, early webstreams, local TV, local radio, etc etc. I didn't totally feel like I'd made it the first time someone said they heard or saw me. I didn't totally feel like I made it the first time I felt good about a live broadcast I did. DIdn't even feel like I made it the first time I held an ESPN microphone (OK, for ESPN3.com, but hey).

Last night I called a local district semifinal soccer match. Hell of a game, one team tied it up with 1:41 to go, went through extra time all the way to penalties. Tons of fun.

This morning I finally got my first email complaint from a viewer. An angry parent of a player on the losing team. It basically boiled down to "my son was a back, not a midfielder".

17 years into this world, I have officially Made It. :toot:

The correct response is "You should tell your son that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Aww it's gone. What did he say?