Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think the local stuff will for sure be another subscription, but I could see national stuff being simulcast on prime. Honestly letting me get my local team with league pass would immediately get them my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FlamingLiberal posted:

How is Diamond going to even be able to survive post-bankruptcy if they lose these contracts?

Not having the giant fees scheduled will help. Now in theory they restructure and figure out what works.

Or fold. Also pretty likely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A lot are clearly canned but you probably shouldn't admit it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean that was an awful answer to that question but he's been a really good commissioner for no other reason than he's navigated every CBA without any work stoppage or acrimony with the players. Things like the play-in and IST have been great changes, and the Bubble was pretty successful way of keeping the league going while being safe. He has a really successful resume as commissioner beyond Sterling.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

The bubble is the only one of those things I think is good and they undermined it the next season by forcing games to take place where people had definitely been exposed to COVID and then further in the year when he leaned on cities to return fans to the building during the still currently ongoing pandemic. I think opening the door for direct Saudi investment, and not only ignoring the capture of their media partners by sports gambling but actually promoting it are terrible developments.

Like I get there isn’t a better example of a commissioner to point to but that doesn’t mean I have to pretend he is doing a good job.

All of your negatives are things that happened across US and worldwide sports, going out of your way to pin stuff that is universally happening on 1 commissioner doesn't seem particularly fruitful.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

God help Ohtani if he selects a team that doesn't fit the narrative.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd imagine that they should be and to run a decent online service as well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do people really believe "took a bad taste TV show job 25 years ago before they made it" is only 1 step away from "participates in sex trafficking"?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Is McAfee rethinking that deal he signed and trying to get bought out?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I thought Mcafee's ratings were pretty good?

And yeah Rogers was actually pretty decent at hosting. He's fairly naturally charismatic and he doesn't really care about people watching him, which is a good combo for a game show host. Doesn't mean you know poo poo about anything though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's kinda crazy but the rule saying on air talent doesn't get to be included when a show wins is a stupid one.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This seems like a really bad idea

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm cautious and skeptical but intrigued. The current deal is so bad I just have to pirate, so Amazon couldn't be worse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm guessing it'll be an extra fee but if it's reasonable that's still a big win.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

SaS is dumber than trump tbh

Nahh

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Truther Vandross posted:

I thought Romo was fine yesterday before he got all weird in OT.

I generally agree except I really don't want to hear about Kelce's leverage anymore.

Didn't I hear something about a new president coming in? Could be some selective coverage because new guy wants to clean house.

I also like Olsen but I also think color commentators basically always have a shelf life and should be rotated.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DJExile posted:

Romo stepped all over Nantz’s call of the final TD too and never let the moment breathe.

Yeah in OT he started babbling too much and I think he kinda forgot he was part of a booth team. I thought regulation he was ok, or at least he was like Tony Romo kinda always is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I watch 3 sometimes 4 games in a season with my MLS season pass!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Re-animate Jimmy the Greek with the power of AI

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The American Dream posted:

What’s the number 1 pick make on their rookie contract and how many years before they’re extension eligible? Because if it’s like 3 years $1million total she’ll make 10-20 times that in sponsorships the next year alone. And that’s if fox doesn’t pay her to stay another year (if they can do it).

She will make the sponsorship money either way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think Jaime is largely known to be a very reclusive, standoffish guy so I think he probably just doesn't have a lot of friends in general. And if you are like that Adam Savage is probably the last guy you want to go to dinner with.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

And the Spurs totally considered selecting Scoot

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

i only didn't know about ion because i don't know what ion is.

It's when an atom loses or gains one or more electrons and thus has a non-neutral charge.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lol, that's another great call by Harlan

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

You have no idea how spoiled Minnesota kids were growing up with him calling Timberwolves games, even when they sucked.

Timberwolves have had a great run of announcers and color guys.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

This kills the League Pass

I think it's only certain games so I doubt it does much to league pass.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Isentropy posted:

It should be. I can't see how they see other leagues losing money because no one wants to subscribe to 7 services and want that

We are all gonna return to the Streams of the Eastern winds eventually especially given none of these systems are reliable

Which leagues are losing money because of this?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Well, that isn't a problem for the leagues though, they aren't asking for a % of new subscribers or whatever, they're asking for a flat rate. Amazon/peacock/whoever is paying them that flat rate with the hope that it will entice enough people to sign up (and then ideally forget they have a subscription for years).

For basketball in particular, very very few people watch every game for their teams and no one is watching every game out there, it's impossible. I dunno if Amazon is going to take over Wednesday night games or whatever, but this probably will only impact 2-4 games a week, and there are usually like 50+ games in an average week, and most of them are not watchable for most people anyway. If Portland is playing Charlotte on Amazon, it's unlikely most people would have watched that game anyway.

How they intend to get and broadcast conference finals is more interesting, I would be surprised if its an Amazon-Only thing, though they play playoff games on NBATV which not everyone has access to either.

Basically, what I'd like is just League Pass with all games, but if we can't have that I prefer games to be accessible on a platform that's not cable TV since I have no intention of signing up for cable TV.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Inside the NBA on NBC preceded with Roundball Rock is something I could definitely live with.

Please not Amazon.

If its NBC it'll mostly be on peacock

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I hope the fight between Comcast and Bailey's ends in mutual destruction.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why the Irish cream liqueur hate?

That was an autocorrect but also I'm lactose intolerant and a fan of cocktails so Bailey's can go too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What would Ernie do for TNT if they don't have the NBA?