Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

Chiefs/Bolts is one thing.
Being in LA, I watched that game OTA.
Spinning in the ratings of a #2 television market with OTA eyeballs in the streaming totals is very disingenuous and thus yield forcibly skewed statistics.

How many ppl in LA actually give a poo poo about the Chargers though? I know it’s a huge market but still. Cleveland and Pittsburgh will have likely had much larger shares of much smaller markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Roundball Rock is RIGHT THERE. USE IT.

Fox owns the rights to it now. They use it for Big East college basketball.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Is that a bad thing to say?

It would be like if Adam Vinatieri missed FG to tie a game in the playoffs and then suddenly comparing him to Scott Norwood when he’s in fact one of the best to ever do it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So it sounds like Apple was the front runner for a good while until they bowed out yesterday and YouTube TV swooped in and agreed to all the poo poo the NFL wanted that Apple was fighting them on.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A lot of the damage was done by the conference tv networks (which I guess would basically be ESPN in the case of the ACC and SEC) but also Fox Sports 1 (& 2) launching which became a natural home for a lot of those random non-marquee Saturday afternoon and evening games. 10+ years ago the RSNs were one of the only places for those games.

But honestly the RSNs still have a ton of content. 162 baseball games, 82 basketball games, 82 hockey games. I know there’s some overlap there and not every single game is televised all the time, but that’s essentially 326 easy programming choices that are the bread and butter of the RSNs.

What really killed the RSNs is cord cutting since cable companies were forced to put RSNs on the basic tier for a long long time so they were basically getting money from the huge portion of the population that doesn’t watch those games on a daily basis. Once that golden goose was gone, they were never gonna rebound.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

I'd imagine a big part is that there's literally no competition to it as sporting events go. It's in the dead of summer with absolutely nothing else going on.

Indeed. The days before and after the MLB ASG are notoriously the only days on the calendar without one of the big 4 sports playing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think that price per game is too much. But I actually think charging for single games is a really good idea. But make it $5-6 or so to make it a really easy impulse buy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1655670978381226001

Huggins decided to be really lovely and WLW's hosts yucked it up right along with him, never once considering to hit the dump button or anything.

That’s about par for the course with Bill Cunningham. Huggins was probably loaded. Again.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’m thinking Disney is trimming the fat at ESPN looking to sell it or spin it off.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ohhyeah posted:

I feel like I’m 18 months behind conventional wisdom. I thought live sports was the only tv people still watch. So why would Disney want to sell ESPN?

Put simply, because live sports were so lucrative, Disney was essentially naming its own price when it came to carriage fees for ESPN. And they were able to bully whatever they wanted out of the cable and satellite providers because without ESPN, those services were essentially worthless. So they’d start up the SEC Network, and the ACC Network, and whatever other channels, then demand that not only should those channels be part of the same basic tier as ESPN, but also that the carriage fee go even higher. (Something like $8-10-12 of everyone’s cable bill went JUST to ESPN networks for like ~20 years) But now no one has cable or satellite anymore and so, while live sports are still super lucrative, they’re not AS lucrative as they have been specifically to ESPN/Disney because millions of cable and satellite subscribers aren’t forced to pay for ESPN on even the most basic plan.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah it was always like Dick Schapp, Mike Lupica, Mitch Albom, and a bunch of other guys.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I'm sure the revenue streams are siloed off, but the Red Sox making money off the Pirates is weird.

It’s only fair, the Pirates have made a ton of money off the Red Sox over the years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The American Dream posted:

Seems like a good time slot. No big competition as far as I remembered after the 8pm games ended. You get all the eyes on the west coast and the late nighters on the east coast.

Like I’m sure some people outside of Syracuse and wherever the gently caress Purdue is were watching that game on NBC.

Maybe if the game was on fox they could have had 15 million watching at the peak.

There were NO good games last week. If ever there were a time to put that game in prime time it was last week.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Fox prime time is mostly reality shows it feels like.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The ESPN TikTok account just posts random viral videos, a lot of times they have nothing to do with sports.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Important to remember that Kimmel works for Disney as well. So ESPN is looking at this as an outside entity coming onto its network and slandering one of their employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I didn’t think Discovery+ existed anymore. I thought it was all rolled into the Max app.