Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Everyone click this right now

Son, they shook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I moonlight as a play-by-play announcer for a local cable channel that covers area high school and college sports. Broadcasting is an interesting beast and knowing what goes into our relatively bush league stuff every day, I can't even imagine the chaos surrounding big time networks like ESPN, NBC, FS1, etc.

Live TV is basically controlled chaos, and oftentimes there's very little control.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

To be fair is anything on that channel aside from football and live UFC a draw?

Onrait and O'Toole

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I think they're good at what they do, but aren't they getting absolutely destroyed in the ratings so far?

so far yeah, i think part of it is just a relative lack of promoting them and the network on any channels other than Fox.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scob posted:

They literally spent millions and millions of dollars promoting the channel for months up to the launch on like every network known to man

Did they? Maybe I havent' seen much then. V:shobon:V

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna give Matt a little benefit of the doubt here because last night he was better than anything he's done in the booth in the last 8 years. He's still not spectacular or anything but he seemed pretty comfortable and more in his element.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd really love to see the Film Room idea expanded to other sports because it has an absolute shitload of potential, especially for big NBA playoff games, the upcoming World Cup, etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

The only thing with the NBA is that because the pace is so quick that you can't really break down a play without missing three or four others in the process.

Yeah that's true. Maybe instead you cut to like 2 coaches and an analyst during intermissions but that's basically every halftime show so.... I donno. I guess part of the appeal is the presentation, or total lack thereof, really. This didn't feel overly polished, it didn't feel dumbed down, it was great.

I know you want general analysis to be easy enough for casual viewers but there should be a way to work this in there somehow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Just simulcast the game on ESPNews but have coaches break down plays during each commercial and just have an advertising bar on the bottom or side during the broadcast to offset the commercial losses.

OK yeah I can go with this.

Benne posted:

ESPN named Ian Darke the No. 1 announcer for the World Cup, but it came at the expense of Martin Tyler, who left the company.

Please hire him FOX and end the Gus Johnson Experiment already.

I still like Gus, but man it's clear Fox gave him like zero prep or education before just throwing him right into the fire.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Prisoner posted:

That was somewhat the intent, to have Gus learn on the fly. The problem is that doing so was a terrible strategy and he obviously hasn't made any progress over the last year.

Yeah, his call on the Ben Watson goal for Wigan's FA Cup was phenomenal but it's like the poor guy is just begging for help. He mispronounces the poo poo out of names and seems like he still has trouble adapting to the pace of a soccer game as opposed to football or basketball (where he's clearly more comfortable).

He's definitely got potential but he really needs some help.

E: Gus's color guy in that clip just kills me every time, giggling at what was probably his first Gusgasm he got to experience live.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 8, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN's response to Le Batard

quote:

"We respect and appreciate Dan’s opinions and passion about Hall of Fame voting. He received his vote while at the Miami Herald. We wouldn’t have advocated his voting approach, which we were just made aware of today."

E: And a clip from Le Batard's show. Bomani's reaction is fantastic

http://deadspin.com/dan-le-batards-producers-were-shocked-to-learn-he-gave-1497366704

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

The problem with Gus Johnson calling soccer is that FOX basically went up to him one day and said, "Hey, we know you've never done soccer before except for like two San Jose Earthquakes games, so you're our #1 soccer play-by-play guy now. Also that's in addition to all the other stuff you're doing for us."

So, you've got him doing a sport he's not terribly familiar with and he's not getting any extra time to familiarize himself with it.

Yeah, plus they threw him right into calling goddamn Premier League matches if memory serves. That's like taking a guy who has never called basketball before and throwing him right into calling the Final Four or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Dear. God. No.

Jim Nantz being the "source" that called the PGA about Tiger's alleged "cheat" drop at one of the majors last year was the most Jim Nantz loving thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

More painfully haughty/milquetoast/pearl-clutching/white broadcaster: Jim Nantz or Bob Costas?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nantz's "hello friends..." opening of every broadcast pretty well solidifies that as well.

Declan MacManus posted:

I get the impression that Bob Costas at least watches and enjoys lots of sports.

Yeah he seems to really get into everything when the Olympics roll around, more than just a casual/passing interest, anyway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Marvin_Gardens posted:

For a sec when you said "hello friends" I thought you were talking about David Lynch and I realized he's the one who should be doing the Masters instead

holy poo poo that would own

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Along those lines, ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 on the Kerrigan/Harding attack.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

NFL Network moved fast after Darren Sharper's arrest and rape charges. They suspended him indefinitely and removed his bio from the website.

Hold m'DIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

i will forever think that anytime i hear or read his name

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Finally an excuse for me to bitch about CBS.

I've been a Browns fan since 1999. Meaning that during my entire tenture of watching that terrible excuse for a football team the games have been on CBS.

The pregame show is just flat out bad. Not that it would be any different than any other NFL pre game show, but it gets frustrating to watch.

I mean, I used to like back in the day when they had Jim Nantz as the host with Primetime and Jerry Glanville.

Now? The crew they have now is pretty much awful. Shannon Sharpe is such a terrible shill for the Ravens, that it just seems to infect the entire studio. There's points in seasons I watch that it just becomes a giant AFC North circle jerk between him, Cowher, and Boomer Easison.

The announcers for the games themselves are so bad, I mute them in favor of the radio broadcast.

Just an outright terrible version of football all around.

To be fair, Jim Donovan calls a pretty good game, and unless they're playing against a big-name opponent, I don't really blame CBS for not sending their A-team to a Browns game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not in the least bit! He's actually my favorite Cleveland based announcer. He shows pure enthusiasm when the team actually does something good, and when he's interviewed on local Sports Talk? He blows me away with how GOOD he is with his knowledge of the team.

I don't know how deep his knowledge runs but god drat if I don't also love Tom Hamilton calling Indians games. Dude has a fantastic home run call. "SWUNGONNANBELTED!"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Jay and Dan deserve a better network :(

Problem is NBCSports is basically an afterthought for anything except hockey and I see them just getting ruined on ESPN. :sigh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm sure Bob wants to gut it out, and dude is basically the face of the Olympics for NBC but holy hell he looks rough, especially in HD.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A commenter on deadspin just shared an amazing story about Bob.

quote:

This was taken at the Belmont at 2011. Costas was on the platform to give his 45 seconds on the mic before the race, and everyone at the starting gate was pretty drunk and yelling at him. Costas came over to greet the crowd, and a dude chucked this full Coors Light to him.

Costas very easily caught the bullet one-handed, opened it up and pounded about half of it to an adoring crowd. He finished his segment, picked up the beer and drank the rest.

Bob Costas kicks rear end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd always heard Bob was a cool dude off the mic so I don't know if he just plays up the pearl-clutching high-horse stuff for TV or what.

Jim Nantz, meanwhile, was found to be the anonymous tipster that tried to call out Tiger Woods for supposedly cheating some rule a year ago.
EDIT: It was at the 2013 Masters

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 11, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Let the record also show that Al Michaels owns and doesn't even care about being subtle in his references to the point spread of games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deathlove posted:

My guess is that since NBCSN didn't exist when they secured the rights for these Olympics, there are limits to what they can show? I don't know. Spitballin'.

Partly that, partly also that it'd be a logistical nightmare to have to keep paying cameramen, producers, etc. to keep shooting events that probably aren't going to get a lot of attention.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Badfinger posted:

Literally every event is being streamed live by the Olympic Broadcasting Service, which they're showing on their website. As far as I am aware, the feeds and the things like the splits/scores/etc graphics are the same for every country, and then for TV events the country's broadcaster will package that with their crew. I imagine that NBC has extra cameras to capture footage for something like figure skating, for example, but every event is already being shot and produced.

Well shut my mouth then!

Then yeah I'd say it's partly their contractual obligations to other events, and partly just NBC's incompetence.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mornacale posted:

My favorite part was when they asked if he won it for his brother and he said "not really" and then they were like "but actually you did, right?"

Yeah there's no way a director wasn't in her earpiece telling her to press it. Cameraman had a full frame of nothing but face, too. NBC wanted that human interest angle in the worst way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those of you who hear broadcasters use the same phrases to describe everything, turn on NBCSports and listen to Doc Emerick. Dude is a living thesaurus. "Knifed away, punched on, waffleboarded into the corner..." so much goofy poo poo and it's great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SportsCenter for 10+ years now has been less about any sort of sports news and more about arguments and "embrace debate" and hot takes and all that poo poo.

It sucks, yeah, but it's nothing new.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And it's only a matter of time before Olbermann re-torches the bridge.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Adding on the train calling it bullshit but if it keeps those USMNT Where's Waldo kits the gently caress away, I'm all for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

He's done a few college bowl games for ESPN. Probably the most notable one was the '05 Capital One Bowl with Iowa's last second TD.

And I miss the hell out of him calling hockey, even though I love Doc.

He was calling the Frozen Four for ESPN for quite a while, then last year they tried John Buccigross and holy poo poo he was bad :stonk:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I used to like Buccigross but at some point he lost his mind and went whole hog with cutesy bullshit and insufferable made-up slang. He's awful on twitter. It's a shame because he was one of the few people on ESPN TV who knew anything about hockey.

His play by play of the frozen four was just... bizarre. He'd go from shouting to whispering, he had all these weird phrases, and I honestly felt kinda bad for Barry Melrose on color because the guy was trying his damndest to cover for him, get him back on track, etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Apparently it wasn't for you, Mr. Credit Card Theft.

Hahaha what was this? I must have missed it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

He got thrown out of Notre Dame for stealing his roommate's credit card.

That's fantastic. I'd never heard that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I think I goldmined it. I was so mad when someone else posted in it. I should have probated them.

You did

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you want to hear lovely play by play, turn on ESPN and listen to John Buccigross. Holy gently caress he is awful.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

and always felt Nantz served as a better host, than an anchor.

Yeah Nantz always sounds like he's commentating a goddamn funeral when he's doing PBP. He wouldn't be bad as a show host though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I hope they give that cartoon NFL robot a visor and a 5-iron and show him every 5 minutes

Ok yeah I'd legit love this.