Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

Tony Temple bought me beer one time so he is rad as heck but man it was so sad when they'd dig up Summeral once a year to do that game way after he had retired and was way too old to be on TV

I was catching up on this thread and thought exactly this when Summeral's name came up. He flubbed names left and right and was audibly confused at points during the games. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think I'm Mike Patrick's lone fan in TFF

I'm also a Mike Patrick fan. Probably because he was the PBP voice for that NCAA baseball game EA put out after losing MLB.

And a local morning show was talking about female commentators in sports yesterday. It was as disgusting as you might think. It blows my mind that people care this much about a woman calling a game.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I saw that either here out in the journalism thread. My comment was in reference to this as well. People can be really disgusting :(

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

Ugh fox is loving garbage at broadcasting games (and everything else, but I don't really watch any sports media outside of games so whatever). It's also not great for the exposure of the league but mostly I just really do not want to watch that awful channel.

The trade-off for getting Gus Johnson calling the conference championship game v:shobon:v

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

:doh: Yeah, I was confusing the Fox/BTN relationship and not thinking of the remaining coverage that ESPN carried.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nessler rules. I hope he gets to do more than be on the ESPN2 afternoon college game.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

In a weird way, it's nice to see gameplay from someone who knows what they're doing rather than myself having to run around trying to find something or using a guide.

But then again, most the games I own are sports games.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I consistently watched the NFL last year and have barely maintained interest this year. Reasons are:
1. Commercialization of the NFL being rammed down our throats. Whether literal commercials or in-game product placement and sponsorships. Which leads to...
2. The NFL being so blatant and rear end in a top hat-ish about their price gouging and money grabbing.
3. Gary Kubiak's offense
4. Really inconsistent play from teams this year. I feel like the level of play in the league has dropped overall. But I can't really back this up other than to point to a lot of dumb, sloppy games where offenses just looked like poo poo and couldn't execute against inferior defenses.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Not to mention online poker was still legal in the US at the time it got big.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

iospace posted:

Who remembers the ESPN restaurants :newlol:

I got accused of stealing in the Denver gift shop when I asked them to wrap up the mug I purchased in the restaurant. It was on the menu and everything.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Is it completely unfeasible to do in-game advertising as part of the broadcast graphics ala soccer? I mean, the NFL already bullies their way around everything else.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rick posted:

They love the Chargers so much in Yuma, Arizona. Maybe if Yuma grows to its projections (note: these are extremely hilarious projections that will never come true) they can fill a 27,000 seat stadium there in a decade.

What are the projections? 150k? 200k? Either way I'm laughing at the thought of the Yuma Chargers.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Trast posted:

Six hours a day is a pretty brutal schedule. Maybe ESPN is trying to drive him insane as a ratings stunt.

No kidding. How in the hell do they expect him to do the prep required for that much time?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Other than "we're the live programming you crave", how can UFC justify asking that much? MMA is nowhere near the same level it was when Fox first picked them up.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

He called it in 06 but they brought him in as a guest either last year or two years ago and it was incredibly depressing

Yeah he couldn't follow anything. Still had the voice, but just wasn't there mentally :(

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DJExile posted:

Having a studio audience seems weird as hell.

I hope there's a large section of die-hard fans of some school that gets ridiculously snubbed and they proceed to boo and heckle the entire show.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Baba Oh Really posted:

The broadcasts are super annoying. They will sway between baseball talk and ask for comments on dumb questions.

Holy poo poo it's not just a normal broadcast and they're pandering for comments and interaction? No wonder they're struggling.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nebraska isn't on that list of in-market states either, which makes it every expansion team the Big Ten added.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Comcast doesn't service Nebraska or Iowa, IIRC.

Oh yeah duh :doh:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The comments section is amazing with people trying to figure out the "Muppets" position.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I do like barstools attempts at pretending that they hate politics when really all they do is post pro right wing poo poo.

Ah, the typical "we hate politics*" approach.

*That don't align with ours

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Totally okay with the Green Zone as long as we don't get an explanation for it every single time it comes up

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I thought the E:60 special on all the sports moments/seasons after 9/11 was incredibly well done as well.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

First Take (or one of those ESPN morning shows - it might have been the Get Up) was on at my gym this morning and Bill's not wrong or really exaggerating all that much. I know for a fact it was at least 17 minutes straight of every replay angle/cut to talking heads/replays again/talking heads again.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

if there was ever a time for an Every 30 For 30 Ever marathon, now would be that time

I legit wonder if they're not doing this because it's currently ESPN+ exclusive content.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

the actual funniest part is Scott Hanson showing up, Katie pointing out the irony of both him and Andrew Siciliano being in a giant PIP and wondering allowed if there's some sort of contractual obligation for them to not be on screen at the same time, and then Hansen bouncing very quickly

Hansen made a joke about Timecop rules applying for Sunday Ticket hosts. It was great :allears:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

A guy I know (who's also in sports journalism) did a 30 for 30 tournament to determine the best according to his Twitter followers. Two Escobars beat out The U in the final.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

I think it's fine to post it here and I appreciate it

Agreeing with this as well. There's not really much else to post about ITT right now so it's not like it's interrupting any kind of dialogue.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Benne posted:

DJ Khaled mastered the art of getting rich and hanging out with famous people while doing as little work as possible

This. Plus watch his Hot Ones episode to learn all you need to know about DJ Khaled.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Except TNT is like a part time sports channel but still is handling original broadcasting.

This move is very weird. NBCSN does very well.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1352708881823227905?s=20

If I remember correctly from WWE threads and ratings chat, USA Network is bleeding viewers overall. Maybe this is more of a move to save their basic cable staple?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Booyah- posted:

my memory was when an on-field mic caught a player saying loudly "THE gently caress?"

Both this and the teen commentator who knew nothing about football but just had fun in the booth were highlights of the broadcast.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Doctor Teeth posted:

why would you not continue the food theme and use borscht for ukraine???

Sometimes you just have to go nuclear

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Since i already have Prime i would love for Amazon to get sunday ticket and somehow just wrap it into prime at a discounted rate.

While I agree, lmao. They're already jacking up the price of Prime and it's already proven successful as a separate package.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

fartknocker posted:

I’d watch an eight-part series just on YankeesFans.gif, but not the team itself

:hmmyes: Each part focusing on a different person in that gif. I'm fully on board.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The average WEEI listener has to be pushing 88

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Twitter cutting off the shoes in the preview really sells the whole thing.

That plus when you click through the shoes are gigantic compared to his little legs. He looks like a puppet lol

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

After a Nebraska game years ago, my cousin goes "is that Todd McShay?" I'm drunk and did the "Todd! Todd! Todd!" bit as a joke he'd respond to it.

Turns out he was RIGHT behind me. And incredibly annoyed. Whoops!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Playmakers wasn't believable because the actors weren't juiced up enough.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Xerol posted:

Yeah this got me to look at what I had and shake some things up. Cancelled sling (which I mostly had for redzone and willow) and hulu (which I just wasn't watching at all), picked up standalone willow, espn+, and nfl+, and saving about $680 a year, and I get more sports than I had before (which was pretty much all I was paying for anyway). Even if the prices of all of those double in a year I'm still spending less.

Doesn't this setup prohibit you from getting the main ESPN networks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The lack of Oxford comma in the title plus the way the description is punctuated make it look like BBW came out with a Hitler-themed soap