Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Doc can be annoying at times because his commentary will be a massive run on sentence. However, I love the input he has giving little tidbits about players and coaches, but not being overbearing with them. He and Olczyk are a pretty solid commentary duo. In fact Kenny Albert who's the other broadcaster is one of my favorites that rarely gets mentioned. He does all 4 major sports and I've never had an issue with his commentary. He has the worst sideline analyst for the NFL though, but that's not really his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

MourningView posted:

A lot of this is just the nature of the sport though.

Yeah I'm not challenging that. It only rarely bothers me a little bit if he gets overbearing with rambling, but it's not a massive flaw that detracts from the game. Usually it's Pierre that detracts from the game by rambling about inane poo poo.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

zakharov posted:

Olbermann is hit or miss, but nobody does righteous outrage quite like him.

Olbermann works perfect here because sports has such vile poo poo all over it that it's basically easy pickings for him to go off about things like the Rice situation. It really plays right into Olbermann's specialty and gives us the viewer someone who is broadcast nationally that will actually fight against some of the inane poo poo that happens in sports.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I never realized how much of an impact he had until this point and looking back on his old clips. I grew up in the 90s completely infatuated with sports and I watched Sportscenter all the time when he and Eisen were probably the best crew to ever grace the show. Seeing Eisen fumble through the announcement was really hard to watch. Looking back, he changed the sports media landscape with all those silly mannerisms and catchphrases, but he also made it more fun. I will never forget watching the Scott/Eisen tandem and thinking about how much fun it must've been to announce highlights and play off each other the way they did.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Kenny Albert is basically a utility player. He's not really great at anything, but he can fill in anywhere. Not sure I'd call him good, but he looks good by comparison a lot of times.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

DJExile posted:

Fanfuckingtastic announcer Dave Strader will continue calling Stars games as long as he is able.

https://twitter.com/StarsInsideEdge/status/778704483220017152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Man I wish the best for him because he is probably my favorite PBP guy in the league, and I really biased in favor of Rick Peckham. Strader and Razor together might be my favorite duo in any sport.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I consider two sliding scales when listening to a local broadcast. How good the announcer is and how much of a homer they are. Niehaus would definitely homer it up a bit, but he was entertaining to listen to because he wasn't insufferable about it. You could tell he loved the M's, but his first love was baseball on a whole. The Pens and Avs crews are prefect examples of lovely homer crews.

I don't like Hawk when I'm watching a game with the Rays, but his homerness leads to some hilarious schadenfreude sometimes so I'll give him a pass.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
gently caress Cancer

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

iospace posted:

Hockey: usually after 14, 10, and 6 minutes left in a period, but not after icing, goals, or during a power play. They also added in a timeout in post-season OT (after midway through), thank gods.

The playoff timeout is natural because they clean the ice at the 10 minute mark of every OT period (and 14, 10, and 6 minute marks of regular periods). This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind if they did it after 14 and 6 in OT because the ice is loving awful at that point. It's not a huge deal though.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I heard a few weeks ago that Todd Kalas was going to be the Houston PBP. I hope he does well, he was awesome as our man on the field reporter. He wasn't that great when he filled in for PBP, but I think being PBP full time will help him develop. Plus I really like drunken rear end Staats, so just about anything would be a downgrade. He also filled in for the Lightning PA a time or two along with doing the ice level reporting there. So Houston's getting someone very versatile.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

C. Everett Koop posted:

I thought NBC was done wild card weekend, but when they bumped KC/Pitt to Sunday night it became NBC's domain (or CBS wouldn't dump its Sunday night programming.) Anyone else see this?

It was always going to be NBC. You know how difficult it would be to swap network crews out in that short a period of time.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

FuzzySkinner posted:

Oddly enough I've met two people who've ran into him in real life and he was a very pleasant, nice guy. (same with Cossell I've heard.)

I've met him before and I can confirm that he's a really pleasant guy. He's a lot more toned down in person, but he still exudes the same joy which is pretty cool.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Mahoning posted:

Mendoza is head and shoulders above every other baseball color guy. I know that's not saying much, but its where the love for Mendoza comes from. She actually analyzes what a pitcher is trying to do and points interesting things out instead of spitting out tired cliches and stories about when she was a player.

She also has a natural advantage of not being Curt Schilling.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
The last O's game I went do did This Land is Your Land which owns.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Spent several seasons working catering at the Trop and hearing Wills and Freed over the radio in the halls. Met him a few times in passing. This sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i say it again: immediate hard max on my contribution limits if he runs for President

*Cowboys lose big game*

Every major network: "And now a statement President Smith"