Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

LordPants posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, the best second best third best thing on tv cable Espn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeS9_59n4K4

(Tony works out)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292U2w6LHdk

(Tony changes a water cooler)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVanUDlvByM

(Tony picks up lunch for everyone... from security downstairs.)

I'm not sure why I do like Tony but I do. Maybe because he's an idiot, I don't know, but I think he's great and used to listen to his Radioshow and PTI every day. His radio show is great because he gets a succession of really smart people and asks really dumb questions to them, but dumb in a good way, not an annoying way.

The most amazing thing about PTI is that it seems like the relationship between Reali and Kornheiser, and Kornhieser and Wilbon is exactly the same off camera and on camera.

I also really like that surreal one with the guy and his dad who laughs in a really awesome way.
We were talking about this in the other Sports Journalism thread a few weeks ago and someone (sorry, I can't remember who) brought up that in the ESPN oral history book people in the Post newsroom couldn't tell the difference between early PTI and actual lunchroom arguments Wilbon and Kornheiser were having. Well, except for the lack of swearing.

It's too bad Around the Horn has never had a consistently idiot-free panel, but at least they're not giving Jay Mariotti a platform anymore and Bomani Jones is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Benne posted:

Gruden has actually grown on me over the years. I mean, it's easy to mock him for "THIS GUY" and "BANANA 3" and poo poo, but whatever. Madden had dumb catch-phrases too, and everyone loves him. I think it's his unabashed passion for the game that really puts him above the likes of Simms and Dierdorf, who sound like they're just going through the motions.

Of course, it helps that he has Tirico, who is a true professional and doesn't get enough love around these parts. Tirico can go from football to basketball to tennis to golf without missing a beat. He also had the unenviable task of keeping Gruden, Jaws and Kornheiser on the rails, which I think he handled about as well as he could.
Tirico is great and IIRC the ESPN book is full of people going "holy poo poo Mike Tirico is the most consummate professional the company has ever had. And he somehow manages to get along with everyone!"

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Combo posted:

I think the weirdest part is putting the kids favorite music/food/athlete/whatever up, I don't know why I find it so odd but I do.
I would honestly be entertained if broadcasts started putting these up along with batter stats during extra inning MLB games.

Well, at least until they actually start doing it and you see "Favorite Band: Nickelback" or some poo poo 18 times in a row.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

Also, I miss Ron Santo. He was 70, but had the blind enthusiasm for his team that rivaled that of a 7 year old.
So does Hawk Harrelson. This does not a good broadcaster make.

Not that Santo wasn't good from time to time. And his Brant Brown call was infinitely more entertaining than any petulant silences from the Hawk.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Gus Johnson has also been very honest in admitting that he knew zilch about soccer going into the gig and that Fox Sports President Eric Shanks thrust the job upon him with the expectation he'd learn how to call games pretty much on the fly.

You can poo poo on the guy all you want but he's certainly working hard to try and figure things out.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
That was somewhat the intent, to have Gus learn on the fly. The problem is that doing so was a terrible strategy and he obviously hasn't made any progress over the last year.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

DJExile posted:

Problem is NBCSports is basically an afterthought for anything except hockey and I see them just getting ruined on ESPN. :sigh:
In a primetime slot, maybe, but ESPN has done a pretty good job in letting Dan LeBatard and Bomani be themselves.

e: Bomani is also probably the best person to be associated with ESPN in years, so he might be unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Apparently the San Jose Sharks' tv broadcasting deal is so bad that the league has stepped in to intervene.

Also according to that article the situation is so bad that it questions whether or not the Sharks will stay in San Jose though to be honest I doubt it's that bad.
Mark Purdy is both an idiot and extremely prone to hyperbole so yeah, it's unlikely it's that bad. Particularly given that the Sharks are owned by a man worth $9 billion.