Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

Sports journalism is the biggest scam. The Niners scored 2 fewer offensive points aka the same, but is anyone talking about how their offense is "legit"? :rolleyes:

I thought we were supposed to be mortified of the offensive lineman apocalypse. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

ElwoodCuse posted:

I grew up in Northeast PA this time frame. We got all the Braves games on TBS, all the Mets games on WWOR, and all the Yankees games on WPIX. I never ever saw the Phillies because they were poo poo and never on national broadcast, and their games were all on PRISM, a premium up channel (along with the Flyers and Sixers). My dad listened to them on the radio instead of paying for the channel.

it's blacked out in the Indianapolis area entirely, yes

You'd occasionally get a game on WPHL (or WOLF if you far enough North). PRISM was real interesting because it was Microwave based, not satellite; when CSN Philly took over, they used the Microwave transmitter and stayed off Direct TV/Dish for years. How everyone forgets SportsChannel...

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1039175321822683136

i'm gonna assume everyone thought the night game was over at halftime

More argument for the browns going 0-0-16

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

He's from my area, so the newspaper here tried to go in depth about his disease. He's been hospitalized for "increased lung pressure", which I'm thinking they mean pulmonary hypertension. Maybe it's a restrictive lung diseases, but I read this information forth-hand at best given the crappy writing. He's currently waiting for a heart transplant, which is its own random process.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

majour333 posted:

I usually only watch sports passively, but I'm managing 3 bars and I have to stay on top of the listings and schedules. I'm finding it difficult to quickly google things like "directv channel Celtics game" while drunks are yelling at me. The directv website has it listed as being on channel 218, but it's actually on 630.
So my questions are 1: Is there a resource that has reliable, location-specific TV listings that tell you what network is broadcasting a specific game? If I knew tonight's Celtics game was on CSNE or NBCSports I could just look the channel number up on directv. But that information is impossible to look up online - it's not on the NBA site, the directv site, or in the first few pages of Google results.
And 2: why is it like this? How is this so goddamn obtuse? And what obvious thing am I missing? I get that I need information about the NBA, NFL, nhl, mlb, pay per view fights, races and college sports, across multiple competing broadcasters, but wouldn't they all benefit with clear information at some central neutral site? A wikipedia for TV listings?
Please help.

The local newspaper sports section should still have the TV listings. That should at least get you the big four.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Quoting from a while back, the voice gets muffled because it's a pretty simplistic (and lossy) encoding, so a lot of quality gets lost. Usually it's coming from weather offices or police stations, where they don't tend to spend a lot of money as well for high end audio equipment for that.

The grating beeps are actually filled with data. The longer beeps at the start are the actual message, and if it has an audio component, then you get the two tones right after them, then the message. The beeps at the end are the end of message signal.

I went and did a thing over in TVIV:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887822

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

I'm hoping he's working on some gigantic sports scandal or continuing a well deserved vacation away from Bristol.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

algebra testes posted:

posted without comment

I saw that bit. I smelled feet for the rest of the day.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Just what everyone needs: 17 weeks of Joe Buck

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Good dog not withstanding, I love how college rugby is structured. Probably because the NCAA doesn't have it's greedy mitts on it, or that one of the strongest programs is from a place called Life University.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

How long until they don't Stick to SportsTM

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Chris Berman is only 64, goddamn i'd have put him as into his 70s by now

The miracle that is Deux Deux Deux *listens closer to earpiece* Ah drat the Canucks took it off the market five years ago.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Last week tonight waded into the NBA Hong Kong controversy, and went straight to the goods:
https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1183607784182554624?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The full clip is floating around, and contains John Oliver's takes on Daryl Morley's trades last season. My NBA knowledge grows weaker by the day, so I'll assume it was a bad trade and a bad take.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

I miss SASWiki, seeing those dudes in the Zappruder film and 9/11 always lifted my spirits.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Oh good, sixteen straight eagles Sunday night games this fall. Comcast will see to it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Can't wait for the Yankees to pick a team that sweeps them and this is quietly buried. Let's say it's the... Athletics.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

tomorrow is Ash Wednesday

Thanks for reminder #3592469 that I need to dredge Twitter myself this year to spot the non- Catholics instead of going to Deadspin :smith::hf::catholic:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1234337197182066690

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Wow, the ESPN remembered the NHL. I am curious to see how they fondle Rob Manfred's balls.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

I get that even without a pandemic, the 4th of July weekend isn't exactly a big sports TV weekend, but woo boy...

There is so much to unpack here.

Berman better be hopped up on Deux Deux Deux

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
N64-rear end looking fans

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

The 30 for 30 about Oscar Pistorius is going to be in four parts, for some reason.

I: How he loses his legs
II: Olympic triumph
III: The murder
IV: Just Blade Runner cut for TV

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
They broke out the blazers for Monday night football, toss is a bone and give us the Wide World of Sports intro this week.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Barry speaks for all of us (who can't see the speaker icon):
https://mobile.twitter.com/barry/status/1313115327706824704

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Only if they give Oswald the Lucky Rabbit back

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
From the mlb thread:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

I'm sure this is a v rare promotion phenome

https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1349464169968508935

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
We had to give up a tradition for Lent this year:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TonyReali/status/1362174301319933952

I've always been impressed he finds the one priest who managed to give him a cross and not a large black smudge.

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 18, 2021

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

pseudodragon posted:

What’s the point of G4 in 2021 when YouTube and Twitch already exist?

To bring Sauske back to American television?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Ah gently caress
http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/sinclair/sinclair-reportedly-bidding-for-nbcs-regional-sports-networks.html

At least it seems Awful Announcing dialed down the ads on my phone.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Totally unrelated to any of this week's events I'm sure :downsrim:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

Good for Nate

Yeah he seemed chill during the Nickelodeon game

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
They should put the rest of the team's games on so we can see if the head coache's active arrest warrant gets acted upon.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Robnoxious posted:

Wow, ESPN should just go back to Lumberjack Games or the Aussie Rules Football League or Cliff Diving from some remote place.

It worked for Wide World Of Sports for over 2 decades.

I remember ESPN in its' early incarnation.

It's not too much to return afternoon weekdays to that as opposed to stuffy talking heads saying things.
Things no one is really hitching any star to.

Or gives a gently caress about.

puts on old AFL referee hat and Blazer, points with both hands

This plus Sumo and World's Strongest Man made up espn2 in the '90's. Now if I want that fix I need CBSSports or FS2 at three in the morning.

E: well poo poo if I'm going to Snipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6aI32Q-jsE

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 5, 2021

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

SBJ says Bally Sports could go bankrupt!

Not the paragon of sports, gambling and right wing political news!

Any chance this drags Sinclair down with it?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1455319309698408452

I don't even know what NBCSN airs these days since they lost hockey and most of the Premier League got moved to Peacock, but USA is picking up whatever is left.

Ninja Warrior reruns, rugby, I think they still show car show auctions...

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm assuming Golf channel has avoided going dark because of rich Boomers.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Vertical Lime posted:

this was extremely inevitable and i'm surprised it didn't happen sooner

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1456231054700949506

I've tried searching watching it at my in laws a few times over the past year; it's down to the 1981 world series and SEC football that's at least 10 years old.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Baba Oh Really posted:

Pretty much anything football related that came up on the late show he would come up with some way of mentioning 'his' Colts

It also led to this Super Bowl commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXisTQmtBBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

If they ever expand the NFL to Birmingham, there will never be an upstart league again.