Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Gigi Galli posted:

It's a start!

And 8 million, wow, I would've guessed closer to 8.

Star Trek fans. Best we can hope is <50% of them are active pedophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I also think we don’t need the first round of the NBA playoffs. Just cut it to 8 teams.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Even OJ tweeted a video of himself saying "so we aren't gonna punish the instigator huh" and drat if it's not that "heartbreaking: the worst person you know just made an excellent point"

Seems pretty on brand

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What is Axios? A WNBA team?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Now Skip, you know there was absolutely no justification for Pilate to sentence Christ to death on the cross. However-

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

The sec is playing ?? How are the doing the playoffs with most of the power 5 out

Three of the power 5 are still planning to play (ACC starts this week, maybe) but for the playoffs the short answer is that we're not going to get that far; I wouldn't worry about it. I mean the playoff is still ostensibly going on as usual just minus the conferences that aren't playing, but let's not kid ourselves.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

As part of that extension in the spring they just cut my market (among others) out of the broadcast region for my regional SN.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

hulu + live tv is the latest streaming platform to drop the former fox regional sports channels/yes/marquee

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/sinclair-rsn?language=en_US

let's see what happens around january when pro sports starts again

Seems like a pretty big risk by these cable streaming services to alienate the sports-centric subscribers. How big is the demographic that: a) is into cord-cutting, b) still wants cable, and c) doesn't care about sports?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

It's been growing pretty steadily, but live sports still absolutely rule the roost as ratings go.

What do young non sports fans want live, streaming cable service for? I enjoy the convenience of being able to cloud-DVR whatever cable series I still watch and have them in the same place, but I don't think there are many of them that are unavailable next-day on one conventional streaming service or another.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ESPN+ doesn’t actually get you the normal live ESPN content though, right? It’s just the random paywalled stuff.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh so it's kind of like Insignificance?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wouldn't mind seeing some experimentation with how games are called on television. Not that we need to put Dennis Miller back in the booth or anything, but it is kind of odd that we're here in 2020 (2020 being a stand-in for modern times, not "2020" the specific hell year) calling games on TV essentially the same way as they're called on the radio.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I think ESPN's current philosophy is that their bread is buttered with the actual games and that the on-air talent for the shows in between (and on the radio) isn't really worth a big investment.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

That isn't really a new thing though. Live sports programming has always been the big moneymaker. They just had a huge issue with overpaying for MNF, then having all live sports stop for months.

It's not a new dynamic, but it could be new management/philosophy in terms of how they want to spend their money. Because honestly, how much ratings difference is there between some of their higher paid talent and a replacement-level talking head? Who's making appointment viewing of any of these shows anymore?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

It’s nothing more than trimming costs to keep the price of Disney stock up. The more they trim, the higher the stock price. That’s all it comes down to.

You trim the things you think you don't need as much, generally.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He’s irl Brockmire now

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sometimes you have a couple of drinks and the riff just kind of gets away from you.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I thought he meant cars initially, but the pregnant pause is making me second-guess.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I would pay Disney to avoid watching those last two things.

And the daily morning thing is different from, like, Sportscenter, how?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cursed Content is the next big craze

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Stephen A. Smith DESTROYS Max Kellerman with logic and reason

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Would've been dope if she came out explaining the nuances of how the Bears run RPO compared to the rest of the league.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

soggybagel posted:

USA has gone through a lot of rebranding and rebranding and rebranding the past 15 years. If I recall, maybe about a year ago they said they were moving again to abandon all original programming period. Or I should say they were doing Blue Sky programming so it was light fun easy to watch. They transitioned into trying to be serious with shows like a Bourne spinoff and stuff. I think they said they were transitioning out of any serious programming and converting to cheaper reality shows and wrestling...so maybe they're going to transition again into more sports???

Sounds like NBC Universal's answer to TNT.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Akileese posted:

I wonder if Comcast just cuts out the middle man and buys WWE eventually. It would be cheaper than constantly having to pay rights fees in the long run.

Seems like they could be hesitant to take on the legal liability and ongoing PR struggles of actually owning a wrestling league, but maybe it's not actually that big of a deal.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

cable is dying and disney really wants to sell those bundles

If that’s true, then when the hell are they going to offer a true ESPN standalone streaming service? Obviously that will devalue their cable contracts (since it essentially kills cable), but they have to pull the trigger at some point.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t think Jim Nance would’ve been cancelled had he said that, everyone just would’ve scratched their heads and said “what they gently caress is he talking about?”

Upon review I guess that’s what Bill is saying too? In any event, what a magical hypothetical. Maybe Dennis Miller can call The Masters next year.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 13, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Promotion: Subscribe to 10 or more Ringer Podcasts on Spotify and receive your very own Bill Simmons Dad Joke Decoder Ring

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/TurnerSportsPR/status/1387059208919547917

that's the first sports rights i've seen for hbo max

This is good news, if it means Charles Barkley will be on the pregame show for playoff games.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If you’re watching Thursday Night Football and your team isn’t involved, you belong in jail.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

This along with Amazon Prime getting Thursday night football might actually kill off cable. Live sports moving to those sort of platforms would be brand new. I’d be ecstatic if I could get local sports and not have to sign up for cable, or something like YouTubetv.

Cable is dead exactly when ESPN decides it’s time to offer a standalone streaming service.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Problem with untethering sports from cable is that all of the rights and contractual obligations are such a tangle that it’s going to be a years-long transition even when the leagues and networks reach the point where they want to do so.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ChickenMedium posted:

I would deny that Jordan is very cool. He's a hypercompetitive prick with questionable fashion sense. That is the opposite of cool.

The hypercompetitive thing actually is cool if you can justify it by way of being the unassailable greatest in your field at the time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That sounds loving boring, unless they’re doing it without Jeter’s cooperation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Are we sure it's not Wayne Gretzky the poster?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not much else to do until it's cancelled.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MLB is gonna go the way of boxing if it keeps it this hard for fans to watch games on TV. I know the cable money is what pays the bills, but one of these days they’re going to wake up and there will be no carriers and no subscribers left.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 24, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I also understand that the regional tv rights are a Gordion knot of contractual obligations and that MLB couldn’t just flip a switch and say “everyone can watch their local team on MLB.tv now” even if it wanted to.

But man, it doesn’t seem like these regional SNs are doing themselves any favors by pricing themselves out of half the homes in their footprint.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

i remember reading that espn priced separately would come to ~$30/month, so that sounds about right

I think Bally is fooling themselves if they think their content offering worth 66% of what ESPN is offering. For some people (baseball or basketball or NHL die-hards) it will be, but $20/mo is going to run a lot of people off.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He could be the first major leaguer named "Hendrix" right? Maybe that's what he meant.

Also who cares
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkOJ9uNj9EY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RumbleFish posted:

Sports are the only reason I even have or care about live TV, so if I could pay $20-30 a month to watch the Hornets/Canes/Braves and then just drop down to one of the basic streaming packages that has ESPN/Fox/etc. for football, that should save me some money. gently caress paying $65 for YouTube TV when no RSNs are on it, and I certainly won't keep doing that in addition to paying for a separate Bally service.

Can you still get any of the basic streaming packages for less than $50/mo? What, maybe bottom-tier Sling?