Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

This is really really bad.

I watched it once and refuse to go back but I heard Antoine Walker got a gig there, so that should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Sportscenter is now what George Michael Sports Machine was 15 years ago. Completely obsolete, but I still sometimes watching for some ungodly reason.

I wouldn't call it obsolete. There's still an entire generation of people watching sports and paying to see them live who don't have an interest in getting online to check highlights or find scores.

The difference is SportsCenter used to be the go-to for scores, highlights and information and now its primary purpose is to essentially serve as an infomercial for the live properties owned by the ESPN family of networks.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

RBX posted:

He was right in what he was saying anyway the whole thing is stupid.

:goonsay:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Apparently Bill Simmons is leaving NBA Countdown for his own primetime Grantland-branded NBA show.

Good to see him off of Countdown and praying this gets Zach Lowe on TV.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ohio hasn't been as bad so far this year in terms of election ads since Ed FitzGerald is making GBS threads the bed more than anyone thought possible and pretty much nobody wants to associate themselves with him at this point.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

He wanted to call The Masters more than anything in the world but Augusta told ESPN if they let Berman call one hole they would refuse to sign the contract giving ESPN Thursday and Friday coverage.

God bless.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

ESPN is literally showing "Cross Fit" on TV. Right now.

People actually paid money and took times out of their day to watch people work out.

Kenny Powers has never been more right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7rbB2bteE

did you just watch ESPN for the first time in like 3 years or something?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anals of History posted:

They're not playing Strongman competitions any more? That's a shame. That was good stuff when you were sick or hungover.

CBS Sports picked up the rights to those

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Numbers Never Lie is being changed to a TV version of the His & Hers podcast that Jemele Hill and Michael Smith have together.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

hahahaha this is amazing.

"YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES A JETS RECEIVER TO GET 157 YARDS????

THREE YEARS!"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol my whole loving show is recycling internet videos that have already been beaten into the ground BUT DON'T STEAL MY poo poo GODDAMMIT

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pat Summerall was at least endearingly bad and had a great voice. Joe Buck comes across like a total dickhead.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

a long while back ITT, someone mentioned college quiddich. As luck would have it my tiny rear end station i do some Play By Play for covered the Major League Quiddich national championships. NY vs. Boston here in Toledo because.... reasons? Whoever that was tried to convince me and others of how legit it was.

Here is a 30 second recap. I dare you not to cringe. I'm so glad I was out of town and didn't have to cover this.

This is the kind of thing I love because, despite my extremely goony tendencies, I realize it could always be worse. This is a wonderful reminder that I'm not in that lower tier of losers who do stuff like this, LARP, go to japanese restaurants as a white person just to talk japanese to the staff and play DDR in public.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

soggybagel posted:

When you say book, do you mean Those Guys Have All The Fun? Is that worth a read?

100% yes

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

NBA should just buy the rights to Roundball Rock outright and force anyone airing their product to use that song.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

People worked, it was a night a ton of people go out and the games sucked. I don't think the numbers will always be that bad, but it's a stupid idea nonetheless.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Erin Andrews: ESPN Forced Me To Go On TV And Talk About My Stalker

http://deadspin.com/erin-andrews-espn-forced-me-to-go-on-tv-and-talk-about-1762058985

The worst corporate culture.

Not that I ever feel any remorse for Craig James, but they did the same thing to him when his son got stuck in that garage by Mike Leach. He was somewhere preparing to call a football game the next day and they refused to let him call the game if he didn't do an interview on air about the allegations first.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't care for FOX either but if this means I'm subjected to less Beth Mowins I'm totally cool with it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Goal Line is basically whatever Syracuse game is on that day with some brief interruptions for touchdowns.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Robnoxious posted:

NBC has plenty of properties to put Tirico besides the dog TNF game of the week. With NBC owning The Golf Channel they could very well use him there for the PGA Tour since he does have golf chops having covered the first 2 rounds of The Masters for many years. This is where I most likely see NBC using Mike for in the short term along with The French Open.

I don't see him replacing anyone for Norte Dame FB games but they could, I suppose. I also don't see Tirico being used for NBC/NBCSN NHL games but that isn't out of the realm of possibility either.

I would guess a primary role in Olympics coverage was part of the draw for him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Please god put Kanell on First Take so he can stop ruining Rusillo's show

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you make a lot of money at ESPN and are an on-air talent, they are probably not renewing your contract.

It's not really that. They're cutting on the producers and staff for the high profile talent in order to retain the talent.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

But the talent is still leaving? I mean in a year they have lost Olbermann, Cowherd, Simmons, Bayless, and Tirico. Simmons and Tirico were cornerstones of the network.

Yes because ESPN lacks foresight. They're hedging on the brand and individuals being powerful enough to overcome the production losses except the production losses are seemingly giving everyone a fresh excuse to leave because they're essentially starting from ground zero anyway with new staff.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was hoping Nessler would get the MNF gig but he's replacing Verne I guess.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spielman on NFL games would own

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The next 18 months or so is going to be really interesting because ESPN seems to be completely hedging on the fact that their brand is greater than any talent, which is certainly true to an extent, but this is the time for the other channels to capitalize in some way.

If FOX Sports 1 can't make some noise in the next year and some change, it's never going to.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

ESPN's letting Sager work Game 6. Two thoughts:

1: Really cool of ESPN to let Sager do this, he's never had a chance to work a Finals and it's an honor and a privilege to do so.

2: I'm worried he's working the Finals because this is goodbye :(

had the same thought on both accounts. I'm glad he gets to do it though. Big of both parties to see the bigger picture here.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

"It appears as though every player on England has decided to play the worst game of their lives today"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

please show some respect and refer to The 500, Daytona by its proper name.

Lol I woke my wife up from how hard I couldn't stop laughing at this

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Robnoxious posted:

Gray never came off as sincere... just a prick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1TN6bR3CSA

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Conan remake sucked. The Total Recall remake sucked. The continued effort to make Terminator a lasting thing has sucked. The Kindergarten Cop sequel sucked. Predators sucked.

Just stop.

Leave perfect alone.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Simmons show should be like Bill Maher's but with sports.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Serious, non-trolling question:

With Ed Bradley, Stuart Scott and now John Saunders gone, who's the standard for black broadcast journalism? Please don't say Don Lemon.

Lester Holt

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This does not strike me as a very good sign :(

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

The UFC wants $450m over ten years for their next rights fee. That's not really a huge shock considering they do solid numbers on tv and (usually) gangbusters on PPV. This would be a near 300 percent increase over their current deal, which is like $115M over seven. With ESPN in decline, who the hell even takes a shot at that price? NBC maybe? UFC has their own fightpass platform that has made huge leaps in the recent years so I can't imagine them leveraging NBC Sports' online platform in any meaningful way. I just can't see them getting that kind of deal unless a wild card like Time Warner (with TBS/TNT) comes in.

What I find completely shocking is the news that they're going to give up their production to whoever gets the contract. I always felt their production was absolutely exceptional so I'd be shocked if whoever gets this will do better.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/ufc-seeking-a-four-fold-rights-fee-increase-in-new-tv-deal.html

The new ownership doesn't care about anything other than making enough money to justify the cost they spent on the promotion and it's going to ruin them. It's going to be hilarious to watch over the next few years.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

UFC will get a better deal than the current one they have, it's just that the 450m number is hilarious. I could see 200 over 8 years or something like that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yeah, from a fan income perspective, UFC does not have the issues that WWE has.

And I'd imagine the production deal would be to remove those folks from payroll. The biggest risk you'd run there is the network sticking someone on PBP who doesn't know poo poo about MMA.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

e: On WWE chat, I legit wonder if ESPN dropping the NFL and picking up WWE would be a gain for them. It would cost 1/10 of what they're paying and they'd get more per ad dollar out of it I think with the cost saving. They'll never do it but it was just a random thought I had.

lol helllllllll no

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Get rid of Thursday night and do Sunday doubleheaders on both channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

Devil's advocate here. Ronda is about to get dismantled by Amanda Nunes in three weeks and if UFC is smart, and they are, they will turn her into a mega star as a result. I don't think they wanted to do it with Holm. If they did they wouldn't have thrown her against Miesha Tate. It's gonna be tricky for UFC because the bantamweight division is really even. There's like, six or seven fighters in the top 10 who are just terrible matchups for someone above them. The winner of Rousey/Nunes wins fights the winner of Shevchenko/Pena so who the hell knows what goes on there. Pena is a solid fighter who's never lost in the UFC, but she also hasn't fought anyone outside of an rapidly aging Cat Zingano. I've realized in this last paragraph I've pretty much talked myself out of banking on Ronda or Nunes so I guess I just, in a roundabout way, made your point for you haha!

Conor is Conor. He's gonna talk poo poo, fight, and draw money. He doesn't take a ton of huge hits and regardless on whether or not you like him, he's an incredible fighter. He'll keep making money until he loses 2 fights in a row. People who like him tune in to see him fight and those that don't tune in to see him get beat and beat convincingly. Until that happens with regularity, people won't get bored of him.

This is a very un-PC post but Nunes is not conventionally attractive and is a lesbian who speaks poor English. She could wreck everyone and she will never exist in the same universe as Ronda Rousey no matter what the UFC tries to do.

Tate could have gotten relatively big had she not blown it after winning the belt, but Nunes, regardless of skill, probably won't ever reach peak Tate in terms of notoriety. If anything, they'd try to build on the back of Pena once Rousey is done.

There's a reason they love Paige Van Zant despite her being green as hell.