Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 35 hours!)

MourningView posted:

The answer to what they should air is always Team Handball. I have no idea when the season actually is but neither does anyone else. Just throw it on whenever you have nothing else. No one is going to know better.

Either that or more replays of World's Strongest Man.

Team Handball owns. I support Team Handball on ESPN.

edit: I think ESPN lost Aussie Football. They used to show matches on 3 but they don't anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Not sure if this is on topic but the IOC have secretly (??) uploaded a ton of matches from 2012 in different sports on youtube. Available in HD and English/Spanish/No Commentary. The way to know is the thumbnail will be a bright color with the symbol of the sport.

Men's Handball Gold Medal match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFuCFaYT7I

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ishin posted:

I was more than willing to give FS1 a shot, until they got to a Regis Philbin hosted talk show where they just brought up relegating the bottom three MLB teams and promoting the top three AAA.

Uh that owns and would stop bullshit like the Pirates a few years ago throwing games.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ElwoodCuse posted:

Pro/rel is completely unfeasible for North American sports and talking about it as a serious solution is a waste of time

That's what they said about black players in baseball. :colbert:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I can't hate Vitale. I will never ever hate a commentator who is having fun calling a game.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MourningView posted:

His heart is in the right place but in practice he's really bad.

CHECK OUT THIS POST, BABY! THIS GUY IS A REAL PTPER! A DIAPER DANDY!

edit: B M O C BAY-BAY!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sash! posted:

I am a major capitalist but I'm so tired of cross-promotion and branding because it feels so forced. If it was subtle, it would be magnificent and I would celebrate it. But no I'll be home visiting family and they'll be watching the NASCAR because they turned into hillbillies after I moved away and I loving swear I will stab a dog the next time I hear that gibbering redneck say "SUNOCO RACING FUEL" or whatever instead of...you know...gas. Like a sane person would be allowed to say.

Not literally stab a dog. Figuratively.

Everyone hates "Sunoco Racing Fuel and 4 Goodyear Tires", you don't have to be a so-fist-icated fancy pants cityboy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

They've already done it with Sports Time Ohio around here.

Frankly I'm shocked they've just not merged the two channels yet. (There's still a Fox Sports Ohio for some reason).

Sports Time Ohio is Cleveland Fox Sports Ohio is Cincy, iirc.

edit: yep STO is the Indians, Browns, Akron, Cleveland State while FSO is Cavaliers (because Cincy doesn't have an NBA team), Reds, Bluejackets, Crew, Xavier, and Cincinnati.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 25, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Piss on NBC I'm just gonna wait until the olympics are over and watch them on their official youtube channel like I did the last time.

Example, men's handball final from 2012 which was available not long after the olympics ended, available in english and no commentary versions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFuCFaYT7I

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MourningView posted:

Much more than they give a poo poo about loving NASCAR, yes.

I swear to god at least a third of the posts in this thread are you complaining about them not covering cars driving in circles enough.

Cars driving in circles is nowhere near as boring as "tall men stand around for 40 minutes".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sash! posted:

To make it a bit stranger, it had two locations. But only one said "Karate Supplies" on the side. The second one has since been turned into a fireworks and jelly beans store (http://goo.gl/maps/nSvVm), which might be the single most unusual business anywhere.

BEST WINGS USA
QUAKER STATE
& LUBE

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

That's Quaker Steak, you uncultured heathen.

Hahah oh wow. I really thought that was a Quaker State place.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

That's amazing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vertical Lime posted:

In what's an inevitable end of an era, the national WGN feed is dropping all sports after this season:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/get..._medium=twitter

Dang. I still miss seeing the Braves on TBS. Now I can't watch the White Sox either.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Quest For Glory II posted:

It just looks weird and the anchors like ants in it.

As a graphics nerd though, it means a likely revamp of all the sports graphic packages on the network which will be interesting. The current graphics used by CFB/MLB don't match the new iPad app-looking ticker, so I assume they're gonna change next season. I was always a fan of the red scorebar from the mid 2000s and was disappointed when they switched to the bland grey bars in 2010. Hopefully they have something slicker planned.

Yeah I love the new graphics package but everytime I see the set I just think "people lost their jobs for this"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crion posted:

I just wanted to know if it was just a bad joke, or a bad joke and also a supposed ref to something previous about Pam Oliver

No, no one is implicating that Pam Oliver is a slut. Except you, maybe.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hollenhammer posted:

While most of you are asleep, here in Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19lLBjAfIjI

I'd take that over Joe Buck. I mean I would take that edit of the announcer yelling just constantly over football/baseball instead Buck calling another game.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ayn rand hand job posted:

More of a sport than other espn broadcasted sport "magic the gathering"

Scrabble.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DOTA players probably make more than MLS players, to be fair.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Can you even do an EAS test on pay-per-view?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

Did anyone see ESPN trying to promote/push "Cricket" the other day?

I don't see how they figure there's going to be an audience for this. This is not to say that there isn't, and that the game itself isn't perhaps interesting if you're a fan. But I kind of fail to see how it would be unappealing to not only Americans...but to even countries like Canada or other countries as well.

I understand why Soccer has a global appeal, and why it gets coverage. The game is very much translatable, and in fact a global phenomena. Stuff like the Premier League, World Cup, and UEFA? Definitely worthy of being promoted, and of being followed by anyone.

Cricket? I just don't see it being a "thing" over here.

Cricket and Soccer were popular sports in America long before Indy Speedway was even built.

edit: Also Cricket owns and isn't hard to follow you donkus. If butchers from Brooklyn could figure it out 150 years ago I'm sure you can too.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Bring back lumberjack games! Watching those dudes run up a tree trunk was loving incredible and takes way more athletic ability than "baseball".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Benne posted:

Either way, the show was a ratings bust so that's probably the end of that experiment.

Well of course it was a bust, it didn't have Stephen A Smith talking over it, he's ratings gold.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

I loving miss Madden and Summerall :smith:.

Who doesn't? I'd watch every single NFL game if Madden called them.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rand alPaul posted:

Can't wait for kids in 20 years to make fun of Bocephus.

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irz9dk4Jhj8

Also I'm sad ESPN got rid of their old college football music, speaking of espn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXGWQmG5C9M

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 29, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

R.D. Mangles posted:

If you think ESPN is going to drop an 11AM Northwestern-Purdue game, you are insane.

Goddamn I want to know who at ESPN has such a hard on for Purdue. Even on Goal Line they never shut up about them. "Wow the boilermakers having a tough game against noted good team Bowling Green"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Benne posted:

You could always join the dark side and watch cool and good European soccer at 12 p.m. ET instead of lovely-rear end Big Ten football

Exact same poo poo just replace Indiana Taxpayer Funded Foootball and a MAC school with Manchester and a soon-to-be-relegated team.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SlingTV is nice because with the sports deal you get Goal Line/Buzzer Beater/Bases Loaded if you're into college and Sling counts as a provider for ESPN3.

edit: I got goal line and game plan confused.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 23, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

So is this time of sports leagues getting paid dump trucks coming to an end soon or will there always be some other dumbass corporation to pick up the slack?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Niwrad posted:

For some reason I get the SEC Network in Chicago on the basic cable tier. They used to have the Pac-12 Network (which is depressing as gently caress) on it too but now that's only for the paid sports package.

SEC Network is owned by ESPN so they probably can push it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sash! posted:

One step closer to the automated weather station voice calling games.

During tonight's game there is a [70%] chance of bad officiating.

edit: Hell get Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe. They're pretty cheap if Sega Sports could afford them.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 30, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Timby posted:

Those were voice actors. :ssh:

They're real! *runs away sobbing*

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ayn rand hand job posted:

The Rose Parade has been avoiding Sundays before the Rose Bowl game was actually a thing

he isn't wrong though

I thought the final rotated between the bowl sites? Why is "Tampa" on there?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Deathlove posted:

'72 Dolphins?

To be fair, they went undefeated.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Real things like watching 18 guys stand around in a park and throw a ball at each other.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm pretty sure Cowheard once said he doesn't like scripted entertainment. Like, any fictional work.

Then how does he watch the NBA?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Who cares.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Finally no more Big Ten trash games clogging up Goal Line. I can enjoy my ACC/Big East defensive standoffs in peace.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Is Dixie Carter running Fox Sports 1 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

It's League of Legends, not Call of Duty.